Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai giving out personal info?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I will get to the point again op...... What result do you want here? What do you want to happen?

Do you want someone sacked or demoted in their job?
    Do you want the cold caller brought up for intimidation or some other offence?
    Do you want a big juicy compensation for your trouble?

All three will involve, to a greater or lesser degree, solicitors, barristers, big investigations, statements of various kinds and a few days in court probably.

Or what is it you want?
    Maybe you just want to crib and moan about it, I dunno.

They explain it the same way as the fella in eFlow or DVLS.

" Oh I don't remember accessing that one. Sure I access hundreds of records every week. Occasionally I might make a typo in a search and the wrong one would come up. I don't recall whether that happened with this one"

"And no, I don't know Mr Cold Caller. Never heard of him at all"

Do you think a public servant is going to be sacked grin their job for something that cannot be proven assist them?

man the state of you.

if an IT system audit record shows up a user having looked up a record at or around the time of a complaint, and that user is not going to sweet talk their way out of some form of reasonably serious disciplinary action.

"oh my fingers slipped" and that's that? ya youre some expert on internal processes id say

I'm not an IT expert by any means but I know the way the world works. Ireland especially.

Sure, they might prove you accessed a record or saw it.
    But they'll have no proof that you passed it onto to some guy you never heard of who never asked you for it, who just happens to live in the same city as you. So there's no data breach proven in hard facts. Because there's no email or text from you to this guy with the phone number. ( Because in reality you told it to him in the pub at the weekend while drinking 45 pints).

And do you think a Garda or any public servant would be sacked over that? Go on out of it man.

Lookit, of course it'll be obvious to everyone that a favour was done. But nothing is provable beyond that you saw a record. But sure if you are an office clerk you already looked at probably several hundred or even thousands of records that week. Mistakes happen occasionally. Coincidences happen occasionally.

There it is, a reasonable doubt has been established Mr Justice. Case dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why were you taking photos of/near his “business”?

Ever hear of Google Street View?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Clamper? Not sure who else would have access to that info.
    Clamping companies are privately run and some are very dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

OP are you a PI or do you work for a lawyer or insurance company etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

OP are you a PI or do you work for a lawyer or insurance company etc?
    Does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Rule number 6 is that tyre allowed access/use my data:

"In the legitimate interests of a company/organisation (except where those interests contradict or harm the interests or rights and freedoms of the individual)"

Wonder could that be a defence.

I'll ring him again in a short while, and if I get nowhere, I'll go down the route of a data complaint I suppose.
    That would only apply to the company/organisation that had your data. for example if the NCTS had your car registrantion, your name and your phone number they could only use it for the purpose for which it was obtained i.e. for the administration of your NCT. Using it for anything else and disclosing it to a third party would be a definate breach of data protection regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

All a Garda has to say is, oh I was looking for a different file, I must've made a typo in the search bar and his I've came up.

When a Garda does that sort of thing, they never do it themselves. They always get someone else to do it. It stops the dots getting connected. A Garda will never rat out another garda and if by some miracle it ever did happen they would suffer the same fate as Maurice McCabe.

I'm not an IT expert by any means but I know the way the world works. Ireland especially.

Lookit, of course it'll be obvious to everyone that a favour was done. But nothing is provable beyond that you saw a record. But sure if you are an office clerk you already looked at probably several hundred or even thousands of records that week. Mistakes happen occasionally. Coincidences happen occasionally.

There it is, a reasonable doubt has been established Mr Justice. Case dismissed.

I bet it happens the whole time, but it is done in a way that the dots will never be connected.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Ever hear of Google Street View?

That only gives you a view when it was taken. That isnt updated in real time? Its obvious that he was photographing a moving object (Person, car, meeting, activity).

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Nickla

were you flying a drone? - is the drone registered?, www.iaa.ie has a list of drone operators with their contact numbers and location. The business owner could have narrowed down his search using your car registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Does anyone bother reading threads before hitting Reply any more?

Life ain't always empty.

I will get to the point again op...... What result do you want here? What do you want to happen?

Do you want someone sacked or demoted in their job?
    Do you want the cold caller brought up for intimidation or some other offence?
    Do you want a big juicy compensation for your trouble?

All three will involve, to a greater or lesser degree, solicitors, barristers, big investigations, statements of various kinds and a few days in court probably.

Or what is it you want?
    Maybe you just want to crib and moan about it, I dunno.

Up, since you haven't answered the questions, I will all again.
    What result do you actually want here?
    What do you want to happen?

Are you out to get your hands on some compensation, or are you trying to prove done kind of point?

Be aware, if you are out to prove a point and you are from this area and live here, you know people talk. You'll get a reputation and be known as "that bollox who brought a fella to court over ringing him".

Do you really want that hanging over you for the rest of your life ?
    A negative reputation is quickly gotten but is an awful lot harder to shake off believe you me. Do you want that in your life just because you wanted to prove some point under gdpr law? And all for something as stupid as a freaking phone number?

Imagine you applied for a job locally and the hiring manager sees your CV and says to himself, "well fook that, I heard what he did to Tommy below over a phone call. he's is a pure snake, he'd report his own mother to the Guards I'd say that fella". and throw your CV in the bin.

If you reside and live in this area you need to think smart here. Is all this hassle really worth the potential consequences over something as simple as a fooking phone call?
    Fair enough if it was your bank details or details of your will were leaked or something. But Jesus, a phone call?

And what if you go making gdpr complaints and accusing the gardai and this business man of all this data breach stuff, and then it turns out he did in fact get the number off his sister who is friends with some fella you know? Or he just got it off of club website or done deal ad cos he recognised the car or something? Or some other innocent method.

You're going to look some gobshíte then. And be aware, people talk and gossip about this kind thing. And gossip travels fast in places. And it often gets legs and embellishments too. Do you really want to start off that drama over a phone number?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ffs, twice its been said they're not from the area

Ireland is a small place.

And he'll still look like a pure eejit if the guy proves he got the number through lawful means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

When a Garda does that sort of thing, they never do it themselves. They always get someone else to do it. It stops the dots getting connected.

You keep saying this, but it makes no sense. Why would getting another Garda to look up the records help in any way? It’s against the regulations for a Garda to look up records in Pulse that aren’t connected to a crime they’re investigating. Why would Garda 2 do it for Garda 1, when Garda 2 will face the consequences if caught. The mere act of accessing the records is a disciplinary matter in itself,

This is from 2017. average of 10 Gardaí a year formally investigated for it (which doesn’t count the ones given an informal warning).

https://www.thejournal.ie/snooping-on-pulse-nine-gardai-facing-disciplinary-action-for-misuse-of-the-system-3539090-Aug2017/

One of the 2017 cases: Fired and three grand fine

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/garda-convicted-for-illegally-accessing-pulse-system-1.3170089

There’s another article from March this year that says there’s 19 breaches of the rules of Pulse access being investigated in the GS relating to the previous 14 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think in this case, the hunter was hunted and does not like it.
    Time to up your game KKV.

No! He’s legally allowed spy on people. Anyone spying on him is “wrong” and needs to be punished. They cheated.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    I think in this case, the hunter was hunted and does not like it.
    Time to up your game KKV.

You'd think if he was a good enough spy, that he wouldn't need AH to figure it out for him.

OP- what's your company name? I'd like to block you from my list of spy companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

That only gives you a view when it was taken. That isnt updated in real time? Its obvious that he was photographing a moving object (Person, car, meeting, activity).

Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If you are curious about how this person got your no it could be
    someone who works for a phone company,
    or someone at any customer service where the staff has acess to customer data .
    i Doubt very much if the gardai have everyone ,s phone no ,
    it,s impossible ,
    i can buy a mobile phone and get a prepay sim card .
    Without giving my name or adress .
    Or i can say my name is joe bloggs,
    they want to sell phone,s , unless you are signing up for a
    12 month contract they are unlikely to ask for any id, or banking account
    data .
    i,m not saying it,s legal,
    it,s certainly true that cops in the states have been known
    to look up data on women who they were dating ,
    probably to see if the have a criminal record .
    Theres no private company with 1000,s of employee,s
    where every person is perfect and where they all follow the rules
    all the time .
    if a person working for a telecom company was caught ,acessing personal customer data for no good reason, and giving
    out personal data to random persons they would be sacked.
    If you have a landline you may have given that no out to many private companys ,
    for various reasons ,for instance , to arrange an appointment to get cable tv or sky tv installed .
    the gardai could get acess to a person,s phone no, using a court order,
    If they were investigating someone as a suspect in a criminal act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Hi folks.

Unsure if this is the correct place to post this. Mods can feel free to move it to anywhere better suited.

Pretty much, I do a bit of work around the place, often involving taking photos of property, landmarks, historical sites etc.

Anyway I got a phone call today off someone who wanted to know what I was taking photos of near his business. Which is grand in itself.

However, he addressed me by my full name, obviously had my phone number to ring me, and he said he got these details 'from a friend', as he seen me on cctv and had my car reg plate.

He was polite, and I was polite with him in return. After the call ended, I rang the local (to him) garda station, who were adamant they'd never give out personal details.

But I can't imagine any other way of getting my details?

My car is a plain private car (ie not a commercial van with branding or information on it).

I asked the Garda was there anything I could do to figure it out and they pretty much just said no. Which seems odd.

Anyone been in a similar situation before? Unsure how to proceed. Not happy with my info being handed over to someone (especially as my line of work would sometimes take me to malicious people).
    if your line of work would sometimes take you to malicious people why are you not prepared for such circumstances? and why are you photographing place of potentially malicious people without such preparation?

You keep saying this, but it makes no sense. Why would getting another Garda to look up the records help in any way? It’s against the regulations for a Garda to look up records in Pulse that aren’t connected to a crime they’re investigating. Why would Garda 2 do it for Garda 1, when Garda 2 will face the consequences if caught. The mere act of accessing the records is a disciplinary matter in itself,

This is from 2017. average of 10 Gardaí a year formally investigated for it (which doesn’t count the ones given an informal warning).

https://www.thejournal.ie/snooping-on-pulse-nine-gardai-facing-disciplinary-action-for-misuse-of-the-system-3539090-Aug2017/

One of the 2017 cases: Fired and three grand fine

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/garda-convicted-for-illegally-accessing-pulse-system-1.3170089

There’s another article from March this year that says there’s 19 breaches of the rules of Pulse access being investigated in the GS relating to the previous 14 months.

10 cases? Those are chicken feed number. I bet the real illegal enquiry numbers are much higher. For the to be an investigation there has to be a complaint. I have no legal qualification (I tend not to bother the law and it doesn't bother me), I have no idea how to bring a complaint to the garda ombudsman or to initiate an enquiry about a complaint. I doubt many ordinary people would even if they did, what would the consequences be? These breaches of Data Protection are going on alright.

I have no quarrel with AGS but would I trust one? Absolutely not in the face of what has gone on in the past in the media and stories I have heard.

Just to prove what is out there about everyone,
    I bet I could have KKVs full name, address, phone number etc is 5 mins and I wouldn't be asking the gardai either.

Wouldn't publish obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 27,925 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I bet I could have KKVs full name, address, phone number etc is 5 mins and I wouldn't be asking the gardai either.

Based on their car reg, cctv of their face and the use of drones?
    Or based on their boards posting history?

Has to be the former.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Shocking crooked country where people in power use private data like it's Facebook and not a thing ever done about it.

I'd report the mobile number to GSOC and say you suspect interactions from Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

But from his car reg?

• Advertisement

Only having a bit of fun but still fairly lax considering his work!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement