Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai giving out personal info?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oleard1987

He could also have a friend working with EFLOW ,They have access to the car registration system in Shannon
    Once he has your plate they can see who the car is registered to ,Address and phone number

mickuhaha wrote: »
    How could you make a car untraceable to the public. You would need to register it under your name or company name at an address which is not connected to your personal life. You would also have to set up an online phone number using a one off gift card that you can access for registration purposes. You would need to then register your driver license under the new address and insurance . You would then need to move home. The only way to connect your actual car and you would be your driver license via your pps no .

I don't mind my car being traced to me, by legitimate organisations.

I've often had people call the Gardai on me, and despite me being nowhere near home, the Gardai would call around to my house, because the person gave them my reg plate.

However, I would have an issue with a garda giving my address over to a random Joe soap to look me up themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Have you provided the guards with your name/address previously? I doubt very much if anyone was that stupid because if they do have your details on file then their computer systems record every time they're accessed.

You can make a FOI application for all details they hold on you and specify that you want details on when and where your details were accessed too.

Or you could ring the person back, ask him who provided him with your details and if he refuses tell him you are reporting it to the gardai and asking them to look in to it. It might spur him into revealing his source otherwise he could be getting them in a load of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I am more interested not in who the OP is but who he has peed off that warranted that phone call and motivated that person to go to those lengths to see out those details

• Registered Users Posts: 27,924 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just noting that there is a list online of licensed drone operators. It has name and contact number for.
    https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones/rpas-aerial-work-permission-holders

It would be a long list to get through with random calls...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I don't mind my car being traced to me, by legitimate organisations.

I've often had people call the Gardai on me, and despite me being nowhere near home, the Gardai would call around to my house, because the person gave them my reg plate.

However, I would have an issue with a garda giving my address over to a random Joe soap to look me up themselves.

What? Must have missed this

So he said "i know where you live?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

P

Hence him using cctv to get my car reg details. .

It's that fúcking red ferrari KKV- i told you get rid of it, it's stands out like a boner at aqua aerobics!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What’s good for the “goose”, and all that.

Seems you’re annoyed that someone spied on you while you spied on others.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm a photographer. I'm self employed. Sometimes I work for companies that wouldn't really be liked by the general public and people that do similar work to me might end up getting a lot of harassment or abuse directed at them (despite doing no wrong).

So, I'm deliberately being vague about the job itself.

This chap seemed alright, he was pleasant etc. but being in confrontational situations isn't unusual to me. I would however be concerned about someone who has taken a dislike to me, being able to get my number, address etc.
    There are quite a few obvious ones to me without going down the Garda route. You might be be known by name to others if that is the case. He may be in some local organisations. Is your number listed somewhere as a form of advertising? Are you registered with the CRO?

Have you provided the guards with your name/address previously? I doubt very much if anyone was that stupid because if they do have your details on file then their computer systems record every time they're accessed.

You can make a FOI application for all details they hold on you and specify that you want details on when and where your details were accessed too.

When a guard does an off the record enquiry, they get their mate to do it, so it doesnt show up later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I am struggling with this one op, sorry. The vaguest pile of shight I have heard in a while.

Why would a business owner be spooked by you taking photos near their business? Why would they care enough?

Why would they care enough to bother finding out who you are and what you do?

In fairness I think my skepticism of your story is justified in your lack of clarity as to what you were doing and why you were doing it? What is that all about?

Some people in rural areas can be very paranoid about “strange” cars and whatnot. People I know, having grown up rurally. I don’t know, maybe you grew up in an urban area but this is a thing in rural areas. I find it really paranoid myself but some people would view a strange person or car on their road with suspicion.

The OP doesn’t mention that it’s a rural area but I’d be amazed if it wasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I lived in a house I rented and paid rent on time only to come home to a for sale on it and it first sale on daft.ie. So if I was struggling with a mortgage etc and I saw someone outside taking photos of course I'd ask what he was at. What was OP at. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

When a guard does an off the record enquiry, they get their mate to do it, so it doesnt show up later.

Yeah, but the enquiry will still be logged to someone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Presumably they never seen me there at the time. The business was closed at the time I was near it.

Hence him using cctv to get my car reg details. If we'd spoken in person I wouldnt have an issue. It's getting my phone number and name out of thin air that's bugging me.

So you parked on their premises?

So I rang my local garda station. I was told that if I make a freedom of information request, I will be given all the details that they have on me, on pulse.

But I wouldn't actually get information regarding when I've been looked up, or who by.

Which doesn't really help me too much.

So many questions and not enough answers........................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Was he a Blinder? A Peaky Blinder?

Yeah, but the enquiry will still be logged to someone.

yes but anyone else could say "I was just following up a different line of enquiry on a different case". I dont believe they put in a load of effort in chasing down these things. Remember one hand washes another. As long as you cannot connect the business man and his garda friend then it is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So I rang my local garda station. I was told that if I make a freedom of information request, I will be given all the details that they have on me, on pulse.

But I wouldn't actually get information regarding when I've been looked up, or who by.

Then write to the superintendent of your local station and make a complaint regarding the release of personal information. They then have no choice but to investigate it and while you still may not find out who gave out the information, you at least know someone will be held accountable for it.

Then write to the superintendent of your local station and make a complaint regarding the release of personal information. They then have no choice but to investigate it and while you still may not find out who gave out the information, you at least know someone will be held accountable for it.

But it may not have been a guard anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It does help you, it would show if they're recorded your phone number or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

He used his CCTV to identify someone in the vicinity of his business and then made contact with them. That's dodgy.

Tell him if he doesn't reveal how he found you, you'll report him to The Data Protection Commission. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Has the OP rang back the business owner to ask where the info came from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

OP’s story makes perfect sense. He’s a professional photographer and he was taking photos in a professional capacity.

It’s the other guy’s story that doesn’t add up.

Who is the " other guy " . Considering the "other guy" is only a part of the op's story I can't fathom how you think that story does not add up?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But the info could have come from any number of organisations.

Inception was a doddle compared to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He doesn’t know if it was done by a Garda though so why is he blaming them?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,924 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So you're the dude who insurance companies hire to prove that Mick doesn't have a wonky back when he can lift two crates of beer home from the offie?!

If the OP is, I'd like to buy him a drink.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    If the OP is, I'd like to buy him a drink.

We have no idea who anyone is in this thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement