Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 242: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Dustin Poirier [7 Sep, 19:00]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    as much as most of us want to see tony v khabib including myself who believes tony will beat him or has the best chance of beating him
    I really can't see him doing that to tony either

• Registered Users Posts: 37,659 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

People calling a guy who has defended the title twice the GOAT is just unbelievable. I'd guess most of them only starting watching MMA.
    Probably never heard of Anderson Silva, Jon Jones or Fedor.

Not sure he is beatable to be fair.

Anyone who gets shaken by a glancing punch is beatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Death stare all his oponnents end with it its ridiculous!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The only fight left for Khabib is Tony, GSP is never coming back. Beat him and theres no one left in the division that can beat him. Any amount of rematches will go the same way and Khabib will keep that clean record and retire.

• Advertisement

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    gsp v khabib would have been dream match up

gsp found a way to beat everyone, would love to see if he
    could have dealt with khabib

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Predictable performance and result from Khabib. He's the best in the world at what he does.
    When trading punches he does keep his hands very low, he does run the risk of being clipped, he throws other fighters around like rag dolls and it's been unstoppable to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Axwell wrote: »
    The only fight left for Khabib is Tony, GSP is never coming back. Beat him and theres no one left in the division that can beat him. Any amount of rematches will go the same way and Khabib will keep that clean record and retire.

Why don’t he try to get the welterweight belt so?? He is a heavy lightweight. He can have the tiramisu even leading up to the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Dustin looked fresh at start of round 2, had a flurry then his arms looked very slow and taking deep breaths....very strange compared to his last fights where he could throw endless volume without arms tiring. Come to your own conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Khabib Nurmagomedov on Points
    eagle eye wrote: »
    People calling a guy who has defended the title twice the GOAT is just unbelievable. I'd guess most of them only starting watching MMA.

Astericks beside all of them for me due to steroids.

Khabib or Gsp is the goat of mma. Hopefully the Ufc gives us this dream match up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Why don’t he try to get the welterweight belt so?? He is a heavy lightweight. He can have the tiramisu even leading up to the fight.

Because he is beatable at WW..when he is 28-0 he would rather remain undefeated and have dominated his division. Can’t seem him ever move up and risk that loss on his record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

spix wrote: »
    Dustin looked freshed at start of round 2, had a flurry then his arms looked very slow and taking deep breaths....very strange compared to his last fights where he could throw endless volume without arms tiring. Come to your own conclusions.

??? He didn't have Khabib laying on him for 3/4 minutes straight in his last fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Simo08

Dustin looked fresh at start of round 2, had a flurry then his arms looked very slow and taking deep breaths....very strange compared to his last fights where he could throw endless volume without arms tiring. Come to your own conclusions.

Spent 3 mins under a relentless Khabib in round 1 plus the insane heat over there would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Dustin looked freshed at start of round 2, had a flurry then his arms looked very slow and taking deep breaths....very strange compared to his last fights where he could throw endless volume without arms tiring. Come to your own conclusions.

Being held down against your own will for 5 minutes is ****ing exhausting. It's not just his control that's super impressive, it's how he can completely wear someone down from domination.

Dustin Poirier by Sub

It's how easily he has beaten his opponents and his overall record probably
    and his winning ufc streak is only 3 behind the greatest of all time (silva)

It's probably not fair to mention him in the breath as silva though who was near unbeatable in his prime and jones who still looks near unbeatable

edit, ricero is right there esp with silva...jones is a naturally gifted though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Drugs.

The best fighters in the world have a 60 second punchers chance v Khabib before he gets you down and mauls. His style is the most dominant the UFC has ever seen.

He didn't have Khabib sitting on him and dragging him around the side of the cage taking his soul and every bit of energy and fight left in him in his last fights..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

??? He didn't have Khabib laying on him for 3/4 minutes straight in his last fights.

But he was fresh at the start of the round, was talking without deep breaths to his coaches in the corner, threw a few punches and was gassed out. It was the flurry that took it out of him, not the 1st round. Yet in his previous recent fights could throw endless volume with no sign of slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,659 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mailburner wrote:
    It's how easily he has beaten his opponents and his overall record probably and his winning ufc streak is only 3 behind the greatest of all time (silva)
    He is tied with Ferguson on 12 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Dustin Poirier by Sub

Because he would have a bad time with many of the much bigger welterweights. All the top guys are generally some form of wrestler.
    The likes of Colby would destroy him easily enough, never mind Usman or GSP.

Good effort by Dustin, I'd say the heat over there didn't help when trying to fight off Khabib for a few rounds, the guillotine was in nicely, thought he had it for a sec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Wonder will Conor tweet out to congratulate Khabib on a dominating win :)

Commentary felt very flat or something, dunno was it missing the over excitement of Joe Rogan or what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

So Conor lasted longer than Dustin.

Whatever that means.

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    He is tied with Ferguson on 12 in a row.

It's how he wins, pure domination and no losses on his record
    tony has been in trouble and has a few losses on his record

you could argue he's only beaten rda, conor and poirier who are all
    strikers

shut down the division if tony doesn't beat him though..it'll mighty mouse type domination from there on in

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SDKev

Do the core UFC fans enjoy fights like that?

I watch the very odd fight but watched a few on the card tonight,
    I enjoyed the Blaydes and Felder fights a lot more than the last fight, khabib just seems to slow and grind his opponents down. Not taking away from his win, I have a lot of admiration for his statement at the end.

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Esse85 wrote: »

There's two chances of that happening not that it would make a difference :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cupp3r

Post fight presser on ourube now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

SDKev wrote: »
    Do the core UFC fans enjoy fights like that

How is it not impressive that one man can make trained killers look like terrified children within minutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Esse85 wrote: »
    Dillon Danis tweeted saying "I guarantee Conor wins the rematch"

It made me chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

SDKev wrote: »
    Do the core UFC fans enjoy fights like that?

I watch the very odd fight but watched a few on the card tonight,
    I enjoyed the Blaydes and Felder fights a lot more than the last fight, khabib just seems to slow and grind his opponents down. Not taking away from his win, I have a lot of admiration for his statement at the end.

I don’t like his style. But I like that he is so dominant and the challenge on the opponent to counter him.
    In ufc 229 anytime he too Conor down, it was just a case of surviving the round, it seemed impossible to get him off you, and it wasn’t good to watch. And then it just zaps the energy out of the guy he’s on top of leaving him with no chance.
    Conor went down easy in rnd 4 cod he seemed to have no energy left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SDKev

How is it not impressive that one man can make trained killers look like terrified children within minutes?

Not disagreeing with you

He’s impressive from my perspective - I just think the other fights I mentioned were better from a spectator standpoint. (I don’t understand the technical ability to grind someone down like that, nor would I want to experience it)

Advertisement