Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ArmaghLad88

MrChew wrote: »
    Aye, there's a reasonable bit of discussion between giving it dixie from the off to make up time or pacing oneself. I suppose you'd have been doing the 3:54 limit too, not the 4:30 that applies now. I'd describe myself as moderately fit and all, so hoping I'll be alright. Thanks for answering!

Is it up to 4:30 now?? Wow I knew covid would impact it but that’s a pretty big jump. There was a pretty unfit girl on my course who did it in 3:52 and she was a heavy smoker. By end of GV most people were getting 3:30 max

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Is it up to 4:30 now?? Wow I knew covid would impact it but that’s a pretty big jump. There was a pretty unfit girl on my course who did it in 3:52 and she was a heavy smoker. By end of GV most people were getting 3:30 max

Yeah, 4:30 at the PCA, minimum 4 minutes to pass out of GV. That gives me some comfort, cheers. I've my PCA this side of Christmas, COVID willing, just want it to be done and dusted so I can stuff my fat face over the hols ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ArmaghLad88

Yeah, 4:30 at the PCA, minimum 4 minutes to pass out of GV. That gives me some comfort, cheers. I've my PCA this side of Christmas, COVID willing, just want it to be done and dusted so I can stuff my fat face over the hols ;)

Yeah mate you’ll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ali82

Gda88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the new announcements today will put a delay on the assessment centre or will it carry on as normal?

Hi i still have my ac to do too

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

Ali82 wrote: »
    Hi i still have my ac to do too

I have mine next week too. Just hope that it doesn’t affect it but I’m guessing any decisions won’t be taken until lockdown 2.0 starts on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Andimaul

Just done my AC, Interesting experience to say the least. I was just running on auto pilot. There is so much I could of said and written in retrospect. Really hard to gauge how well I have done.

Well done to all who have went through the AC so far and congrats to those who have been fast tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

Surprised there hasn't been any further updates on the Join PSNI website, it's been 5 weeks since the last update. The recruitment campaign is such a long process, never mind Covid-19 in addition. Hopefully hear some update soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paulo345

Hi!

First time posting, and first time applying. Currently have passed ac and sent away my vetting forms with my PCA date soon, pretty excited but trying not to get my hopes up when I hear of people applying 20 odd times and this is only my first go of it!

What stages do people find the most challenging of the process? Guessing the PCA?

Paulo345 wrote: »
    Hi!

First time posting, and first time applying. Currently have passed ac and sent away my vetting forms with my PCA date soon, pretty excited but trying not to get my hopes up when I hear of people applying 20 odd times and this is only my first go of it!

What stages do people find the most challenging of the process? Guessing the PCA?

People who apply multiple times tend to fail at either the IST or the AC. If you've passed those, you're more likely to get in than not. Obviously, there are still things that could trip you up, but, short of failing your security vetting, the rest of of the process is reasonably forgiving. You get a second shot at the PCA and additional help if you fail to hit the pretty generous 4:30 target. The medical appeals process seems to be fairly robust too - if you fail but can subsequently prove you are medically fit, they will clear you.

IMHO, the PCA is the one part of the process where you have total control. You know what the expectation is, you know the standard you need to meet and can train to it, and if you miss, you get to try again. Honestly, the most challenging part is behind you at this stage.

People who apply multiple times tend to fail at either the IST or the AC. If you've passed those, you're more likely to get in than not. Obviously, there are still things that could trip you up, but, short of failing your security vetting, the rest of of the process is reasonably forgiving. You get a second shot at the PCA and additional help if you fail to hit the pretty generous 4:30 target. The medical appeals process seems to be fairly robust too - if you fail but can subsequently prove you are medically fit, they will clear you.

IMHO, the PCA is the one part of the process where you have total control. You know what the expectation is, you know the standard you need to meet and can train to it, and if you miss, you get to try again. Honestly, the most challenging part is behind you at this stage.

I’m paranoid that I’m gonna send the cones flying XD

• Advertisement

I’m paranoid that I’m gonna send the cones flying XD

Just keep it tight and pace yourself. It's about agility as well as speed. There are opportunities to go quickly and times when you need to be agile.

My irrarional fear is that the drag bag is going to simultaneously dislocate both my arms, so there's that.

Surprised there hasn't been any further updates on the Join PSNI website, it's been 5 weeks since the last update. The recruitment campaign is such a long process, never mind Covid-19 in addition. Hopefully hear some update soon.

Looks like you got your wish, AC's scheduled for the next two weeks are postponed and one's after that are subject to a further update.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

Further to today's update by the PSNI, i can only imagine the frustration that some of the candidates who still haven't done their AC feel. Wishing you all best of luck. Just wondering if people who did their AC at the end of September might have delayed AC results or fast-track results because of this new postponing? (not that i hope for the fast-track news, but just in case :) ) Good luck everyone x

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

Looks like you got your wish, AC's scheduled for the next two weeks are postponed and one's after that are subject to a further update.

I was hoping for more of a “we will progressing more applicants to the psni managed stages” update

I’m sure those in the next couple of weeks will be frustrated!

I was hoping for more of a “we will progressing more applicants to the psni managed stages” update

I’m sure those in the next couple of weeks will be frustrated!

Yeah, totally not the update anyone wanted. Gutted for those who have had their AC postponed, they've waited so long already.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Si_zx10r

With the latest postponement, will the results now be delayed until everyone is through? I imagine this will be the case, can hardly do the results until everyone has attended. The rona really has put a spanner in the works this campaign 🙈

Is it just the assessment centres baring delayed or is it the PSNI managed stages too?

Is it just the assessment centres baring delayed or is it the PSNI managed stages too?

So far just the ACs. I've not had any word of the PSNI stages being delayed. It's definitely a possibility though!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Si_zx10r

I think its gonna slow up the process regardless of which stage your at due to current restrictions, nightmare for everyone. Let's hope it gets back on track in the next 4 weeks. Bit annoying probably having to wait even longer on results now just to see it we have passed. Just hoping I didn't mess up a/c and I will be happy to wait until whenever lol

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

Si_zx10r wrote: »
    I think its gonna slow up the process regardless of which stage your at due to current restrictions, nightmare for everyone. Let's hope it gets back on track in the next 4 weeks. Bit annoying probably having to wait even longer on results now just to see it we have passed. Just hoping I didn't mess up a/c and I will be happy to wait until whenever lol

Same here, waiting for our results is so daunting to even know if we have passed, especially for a 3rd time applicant like me. This is my first a/c tho, so i have no idea of how i've done. Anyhow, it could be worse, like there are people still waiting to do their a/c so, good luck to everyone x

• Advertisement

Anyone know if the PCA familiarisation session is worth going to? Do they just give you a rundown of the course but not let you try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Boss20

Anyone know if the PCA familiarisation session is worth going to? Do they just give you a rundown of the course but not let you try it?

At the no tomatoes course they said you are allowed to test out sections of it, but you can’t do a “test lap” if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

I’ve heard it is worth it. Good to get an idea of the course and you do get to have a go on the elements you think you might struggle with! I’m looking forward it it. Hoping it’ll put my nerves at rest a bit

Reading through the PCA thread, the consensus was that it was absolutely worth going to. You get a chance to get a look at the size and scale of the thing, and can try each element of it. You can't do a whole lap in one go, but you can get a feel for things. I think it puts a lot of people's mind at ease.

Reading through the PCA thread, the consensus was that it was absolutely worth going to. You get a chance to get a look at the size and scale of the thing, and can try each element of it. You can't do a whole lap in one go, but you can get a feel for things. I think it puts a lot of people's mind at ease.

I heard they increased the time limit this year as well! I guess as long as we are moving through it fast enough there’s no way to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

It's 100% worth going to, if you can get the time off definitely go. It really helped with the nerves that I had, as others have said you can try out everything there even link a couple of them together but can't do a full lap or time yourself.

NornIron74 wrote: »
    It's 100% worth going to, if you can get the time off definitely go. It really helped with the nerves that I had, as others have said you can try out everything there even link a couple of them together but can't do a full lap or time yourself.

I guess I’ll go then, actually really nervous because of how easy it looks and with the increased time; if I fail I won’t be able to look anyone the the eyes for a long time lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YFm7YAGi6rU

What are people opinions of the proposed new PSNI uniform? Personally hope they decide to keep the old one :(

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YFm7YAGi6rU

What are people opinions of the proposed new PSNI uniform? Personally hope they decide to keep the old one :(

Bit tight around the old moobs. My only real concern is that, if that's synthetic material, it's going to get pretty ripe pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 YamDiv6N

Bit tight around the old moobs. My only real concern is that, if that's synthetic material, it's going to get pretty ripe pretty quickly.

My thoughts exactly! Lol

Advertisement