Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

pcjar wrote: »
    I've got my AC is coming up in a few weeks time. I was wondering if anyone would have advice on the initial brief?

How did you find the experience on the day?

I applied a few years ago and narrowly failed at this stage.

In hindsight after talking to friends who are now in the job and going to a coaching session a few things stand out to me which would have really cost me marks....

Basically I was the guy who acted like I was on a tv show lol.

You're going to have to elaborate... Like did you do good cop/bad cop? Tell them they were going down if they didn't fess up?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pcjar

MrChew wrote: »
    You're going to have to elaborate... Like did you do good cop/bad cop? Tell them they were going down if they didn't fess up?

I made an accusation to the role play actor based on info given to candidates. This led to a bit of a debate about the given scenario.

I remember on my results that one role play was a poor result. It was low marks on one role play and the final report which really dragged me down.

Too many closed questions.

No mention of creating partnerships.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 waiting.com

I don't think anyone can really go into specifics of advice on what to do based on the confidentiality agreement but as you've been through it before and have now had coaching you're probably better briefed than the rest of us of what goes on. Good luck this time round though!

pcjar wrote: »
    I made an accusation to the role play actor based on info given to candidates. This led to a bit of a debate about the given scenario.

I remember on my results that one role play was a poor result. It was low marks on one role play and the final report which really dragged me down.

Too many closed questions.

No mention of creating partnerships.

Look, that's a ballsy move. You shoulda got extra marks for being a badass :D

For what it's worth, I did an AC many moons ago and made a huge mistake the second I opened my mouth in the first roleplay. Without going into too much detail, specific instructions to avoid the mistake I made are now given.

With regards to this AC, it's tricky to give specific advice but it sounds like you already know the correct direction to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tashbash

Look, that's a ballsy move. You shoulda got extra marks for being a badass :D

For what it's worth, I did an AC many moons ago and made a huge mistake the second I opened my mouth in the first roleplay. Without going into too much detail, specific instructions to avoid the mistake I made are now given.

With regards to this AC, it's tricky to give specific advice but it sounds like you already know the correct direction to take.
    I’d love to hear that lol did you fail?

• Advertisement

Tashbash wrote: »
    I’d love to hear that lol did you fail?

Without going into too much detail, I'll say I took the term "roleplay" literally and forgot that names can be gender neutral. What I said made the actor and assessor exchange a look of "WTF?", which isn't supposed to happen, and I think they took me to be halfwitted from that point onwards. I could practically feel the failure in the room.

I thought it was a trick, and that I was being clever, but I was just being dense and oh yes, I failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

Without going into too much detail, I'll say I took the term "roleplay" literally and forgot that names can be gender neutral. What I said made the actor and assessor exchange a look of "WTF?", which isn't supposed to happen, and I think they took me to be halfwitted from that point onwards. I could practically feel the failure in the room.

I thought it was a trick, and that I was being clever, but I was just being dense and oh yes, I failed.

M sure you nailed it this time round going by your role play at no tomatoes.

Fingers crossed we will be chatting in the 2020 waiting room thread down the line.

Belfast86 wrote: »
    M sure you nailed it this time round going by your role play at no tomatoes.

Fingers crossed we will be chatting in the 2020 waiting room thread down the line.

Cheers mate, fingers crossed, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tiedye098

For those who have already attended AC this year do you arrive 30mins early for registration or at the exact time on email due to Covid? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

Tiedye098 wrote: »
    For those who have already attended AC this year do you arrive 30mins early for registration or at the exact time on email due to Covid? TIA

Just the time they state. I think with covid they prob won’t want you there beforehand. You’re registration is included in the time

In terms of results.. do you get a break down of how you do in each section?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Wyl91 wrote: »
    Just the time they state. I think with covid they prob won’t want you there beforehand. You’re registration is included in the time

In terms of results.. do you get a break down of how you do in each section?

Yes you get your overall score and then it breaks it down and shows how you scored in each section.

I scored low 400's ML in 2018 campaign but withdrew my application for personal reasons. Felt okay about the AC this time around but the long wait for results is horrendous. Self doubt creeps in and the only way to deal is try not to think on it and focus on other things. I rarely post here and try not to come reading posts from others as I'll just drive myself crazy waiting. Hopefully this helps anyone else to know you're not alone.

It’s madness the wait time. I’m in for the Fire service and Prison service and waiting on results of each is killing me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭penutzimes

New update on join psni

Psni will b contacting some people to progress in the next few weeks so there will be a fast track!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭HopefulCan2002

Hi did my AC this week didn’t know what to expect but what a day. Came out thinking that didn’t do great at all esp on the report at end. Does anyone know from previous years how each section is scored?

Hi did my AC this week didn’t know what to expect but what a day. Came out thinking that didn’t do great at all esp on the report at end. Does anyone know from previous years how each section is scored?

No-one comes out thinking they did great - that seems to be the nature of the thing - so don't worry.

I am sure I read somewhere how the different sections were weighted but I can't seem to find it now. In any case, the roleplays were worth most marks, with the combined marks for the action plans and the marks for the roleplay roughly equal. Even if you didn't do great on the report, you can still pass comfortably.

I believe they are scored as followed

Role play 65%
    Action plans 20%
    Report writing 15%

Bear in mind the last campaign it was a 49/50% pass mark. So if you do really well in the role plays your still passing.

I believe the role plays carry the vast majority of the marks around 60-65 its all about the overall score

Roleplays 65%
    Action plans 20%
    Report 15%

That's what it was for 1810, may be different this time

NornIron74 wrote: »
    Roleplays 65%
    Action plans 20%
    Report 15%

That's what it was for 1810, may be different this time

Edited mine. Was close enough lol

The guys at the training I went to have a feeling the pass mark is going to be a percentage lower due to the volume of recruits they need for this campaign

Belfast86 wrote: »
    Edited mine. Was close enough lol

The guys at the training I went to have a feeling the pass mark is going to be a percentage lower due to the volume of recruits they need for this campaign

It may well be, pass mark for 1710 was 50% and 49% for 1810

• Advertisement

NornIron74 wrote: »
    It may well be, pass mark for 1710 was 50% and 49% for 1810

Anyone know what they look for in the role plays? Curious to know

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gda88

Competency and Values Framework for policing website It’s all on there is it not?

Gda88 wrote: »
    Competency and Values Framework for policing website It’s all on there is it not?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PSNIhopeful1

Just noticed this myself, hopefully this will get the ball rolling. I think in 1710 they took somewhere between 100-150 fast track candidates (correct me if I'm wrong). Let's hope they do the same this time.

I don't think it'll happen for me, but it would be fantastic to be fast tracked. I've been waiting since the end of the 1710 campaign to apply again (didn't apply to 1810 as I didn't think I would pass medical yet, that's why I failed 1710).

So, I've been waiting around 3 years already before 2002 even began! The wait to December is killing me, would be a dream to get into fast track.

Desperatley need to get starting fitness, need to lose a bit of belly if I pass AC and progress to PCA.

At least the ball is well and truely rolling now folks. Good luck to anybody with upcoming ACs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ali82

penutzimes wrote: »
    New update on join psni

Psni will b contacting some people to progress in the next few weeks so there will be a fast track!!!

Just curious ref Fast Track, surely they have to wait until everyone has done the AC? Have my HR hat on & thinking need to have saw everyone 1st to pick best candidates but maybe doesnt apply here 🀔 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gda88

Ali82 wrote: »
    Just curious ref Fast Track, surely they have to wait until everyone has done the AC? Have my HR hat on & thinking need to have saw everyone 1st to pick best candidates but maybe doesnt apply here �� lol

I don’t think so as the AC is running until mid/end of November and everyone gets their results on or before the 4th of December so if anyone is fast tracked it will be candidates that have already completed their AC and scored a higher than average percentage. I’m guessing they will use the same mark as in previous years to progress fast track candidates.

Ali82 wrote: »
    Just curious ref Fast Track, surely they have to wait until everyone has done the AC? Have my HR hat on & thinking need to have saw everyone 1st to pick best candidates but maybe doesnt apply here 🀔 lol

No, they have a clause that says they have the right to progress candidates through even when others haven't done their AC yet

Gda88 wrote: »
    I don’t think so as the AC is running until mid/end of November and everyone gets their results on or before the 4th of December so if anyone is fast tracked it will be candidates that have already completed their AC and scored a higher than average percentage. I’m guessing they will use the same mark as in previous years to progress fast track candidates.

Does anyone know from previous years what the average percentage was?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Latto882

Hey guys,
    Where is the information that a fast track is happening taken from?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Bafta12

Just noticed this myself, hopefully this will get the ball rolling. I think in 1710 they took somewhere between 100-150 fast track candidates (correct me if I'm wrong). Let's hope they do the same this time.

I don't think it'll happen for me, but it would be fantastic to be fast tracked. I've been waiting since the end of the 1710 campaign to apply again (didn't apply to 1810 as I didn't think I would pass medical yet, that's why I failed 1710).

So, I've been waiting around 3 years already before 2002 even began! The wait to December is killing me, would be a dream to get into fast track.

Desperatley need to get starting fitness, need to lose a bit of belly if I pass AC and progress to PCA.

At least the ball is well and truely rolling now folks. Good luck to anybody with upcoming ACs.

I’m basically in the same boat as yourself mate. Good luck to all of us! Been a long wait.

Advertisement