Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Iv'e been really surprised about the saturday's rain warning and today's, Meath was left of both and i reckon we'll get close to 70mm from both systems, i never criticise ME but do they think the rain starts fizzling out as it crosses the borders into counties thats not included.

I reckon the system pushed further north than expected.
    Still doesn't answer why they didn't amend there warnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Current rain rate in Arklow 9.8mm/hr
    Rain since morning 15mm
    13.4c
    Wind East gusting to 37kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

ZX7R wrote: »
    I reckon the system pushed further north than expected.

Yeah possibly, but to be fair, the bbc forecast (which i find very reliable) had it spot on for us, they said last night, spells of very heavy rain would push north

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Surprised Galway left out of the warning. Some of the usual flood spots were very close to being impassible. Saw a car that had left the road and hit the wall at Greaney glass where the road is flooded.

Seem to have missed the worst of it here. Just a few heavier spurts now and again. There is a nip in that wind though.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Our driveway is now completely flooded, this is the most amount of water I've seen lying about the place in a few years and not surprising since we've had at least 80mm of rain over the past week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Lots of surface water around Finglas/Glasnevin/Ballymun. Pools of water in every dip in the roads. Safe driving out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Pools of Surface water running everywhere Dublin 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nearly 15mm of rain in Castlebar since midday, should end up with over 180mm for the month if it keeps up, 5th September in a row with 150mm plus of rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rain easing here now, we are lucky in a way that this rain system pushed through fairly quickly. If this had slowly moved or stalled we could've been in trouble by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

September currently running at an Irish rainfall total of 102.2mm up to 29th, third wettest month of the year behind March and August. Likely to finish over 110mm after today's rain not beating the two aforementioned months. If this is the case, it won't be as wet as September 2010 or 2017 for the country as a whole and on a par with Septembers 2011, 2016.

Data from Met Éireann.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

22.4 mm in Arklow
    Still raining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The rain has more or less stopped in Glasnevin - 19.8mm total today. It's 12.1C now.

Torrential here at the minute and windy, leaves and rain falling everywhere, a pheasant just walked across the garden, and he looks absolutely miserable, i know how he feels

Evelyn Cusack on six one news talking about Lorenzo now

I thought the rain had eased, but it's back now again and heavy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    The rain has more or less stopped in Glasnevin - 19.8mm total today. It's 12.1C now.

Hasn't quite stopped just not quite as heavy as earlier. There's now 20.3mm recorded for the day here so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Has suddenly gone very windy and moderate rain again in Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Any idea what I can expect in Dublin north tomorrow morning on my bike. About 6-7 am.
    Will it be as bad as coming home today?

BDI wrote: »
    Any idea what I can expect in Dublin north tomorrow morning on my bike. About 6-7 am.
    Will it be as bad as coming home today?

the next 2 days will definitely be dryer, but plenty more rain to come from Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Ireland’s climate definitely has a negative effect on mental health. Imagine just over 2 hours away, in the Algarve or Malaga, you can have a year round outdoor lifestyle. God it’s very tempting.

Rain stopped for about 30mins, back lashing down again.

Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Man it's rough out there. Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

vladmydad wrote: »
    Ireland’s climate definitely has a negative effect on mental health. Imagine just over 2 hours away, in the Algarve or Malaga, you can have a year round outdoor lifestyle. God it’s very tempting.

My retired Uncle recently came back from Safari in SA and has just left again to spend 2 months in his apartment in Cyprus = lucky sod!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Birdnuts wrote: »
    My retired Uncle recently came back from Safari in SA and has just left again to spend 2 months in his apartment in Cyprus = lucky sod!!

He's retired fair play to him for enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Out of interest are yearly rainfall totals increasing over the last 10 years?

We hear a lot about rising temperatures and higher sea temperatures which you would think would lead to more rainfall?

A sodden day. Thankfully we got that good week in September as otherwise it has been a washout since the 1st of August.

We could get a lovely dry Autumn yet. We seem to be getting cycles of 4-6 weeks of very dry or very wet weather lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Utterly miserable in Letterkenny since around 3pm, still pouring down now. We've been lucky enough in the past 10 days that most of the heavy rain fell overnight but this afternoon and evening definitely made up for lost time

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Skies have cleared/rain has stopped in Dublin 16. 25.0mm since midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Wow that was some amount of rain today. It was biblical at times!

That will really hike up the rainfall totals for Sept as it will just make it for last day.

Feels like it's just raining all time for last 10 days or so. Yes I know that's not the case but so many heavy showers on and off all the time that's how I feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nearly 23mm of rain in Castlebar since midday and still falling, 187mm of rain now for the month, but we did have a very nice dry and warm week midway through so it was not all bad and the mean temperature was actually up nearly 1.5C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild, wuthering winds … song of the ocean loud and strong. A melody since the beginning of time. Strong beyond our powers. Restful is that once we accept it and lean into it. Work with it and within it.

west mayo offshore stronghold

Advertisement