Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 11, 11 Max/Pro, 11R

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Got my Pro Max yesterday, coming from the X. 1h 20min screentime and 95% battery..very impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

kceire wrote: »
    Yes better.
    But spare us with the “can’t find any website to compare” :)

It’s as easy as https://www.apple.com/ie/ V https://www.apple.com/

Work our exchange rate and don’t forget to add on the 8.75% sales tax to the NYC price.

No I meant in terms of buying a phone by instalment over two or three years through an Irish package, a site comparing those.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Gangu wrote: »
    No I meant in terms of buying a phone by instalment over two or three years through an Irish package, a site comparing those.

There’s no site cause it’s simple envelope math.

Cost to “purchase” phone +
    Then €x * 48 months
    = price.

Vs.

$999 + 8% sales tax then convert to euros +
    9.99 * 24 (GoMo sim only plan) +
    Price of a charger as the US phone comes with a US socket.

One will work out cheaper then you’ve to decide if it’s worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I would also calculate the cost of vat and import duty. I know people get away with a lot but in the last two months I’ve gone through customs in Dublin on four occasions and have been pulled by a custom officer 3 out of those 4 times.

You must have a very guilty look about you ;-), have to say going to and from the usa a lot and on my own they never bother checking me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I would also calculate the cost of vat and import duty. I know people get away with a lot but in the last two months I’ve gone through customs in Dublin on four occasions and have been pulled by a custom officer 3 out of those 4 times.

Put your own SIM card in it. Dump the packaging. How are they to know that you didn’t have it with you on the way over???

• Advertisement

Put your own SIM card in it. Dump the packaging. How are they to know that you didn’t have it with you on the way over???

They will check the model number and serial number and then check to see if the taxes were ever paid on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

There’s no site cause it’s simple envelope math.

Cost to “purchase” phone +
    Then €x * 48 months
    = price.

Minus the cost of the same “sim only” monthly bill cost. That’s the important part.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    They will check the model number and serial number and then check to see if the taxes were ever paid on it.

You’d want to be walking through with 5 new phones for them to go to that trouble. If they were that rigorous they’d be doing the same for everything that you were carrying on your person.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You’d want to be walking through with 5 new phones for them to go to that trouble. If they were that rigorous they’d be doing the same for everything that you were carrying on your person.[/quote

I was just saying it’s possible , they are not stupid and know people buy phones, it’s a very easy check, having said that i go back and forth to the states and never get checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You must have a very guilty look about you ;-), have to say going to and from the usa a lot and on my own they never bother checking me.

I think it’s because I travel with two large suitcase usually on my own too.

Not debating this, but they’re not stupid either.
    Minus the cost of the same “sim only” monthly bill cost. That’s the important part.
    Thanks I forgot that, added it in now plus price of an IE charger.
    You’d want to be walking through with 5 new phones for them to go to that trouble. If they were that rigorous they’d be doing the same for everything that you were carrying on your person.

Whilst that might be true there’s no doubt DUB staff are getting tighter. I was never stopped up until two months ago and if you read the aviation/flying forum here there’s threads of immigration doing passport checks immediately after disembarking the plane. Something has got them doing their job more :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

So 6 plus weeks after ordering iPhone 11 Pro from Eir they have been told to get stuffed! They didn't even bother arguing about cancelation of order or contract. No update from them. If anyone else is in the same boat best of luck with waiting on your order from Eir.

GFF wrote: »
    Any luck with Eir ?

Any luck with ur order?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GFF

martin_g wrote: »
    Any luck with ur order?

They said Ill get my Iphone this week

GFF wrote: »
    They said Ill get my Iphone this week

Best of luck so. I just had enough of them.

Not a chance will they do that.

I’ve brought stuff through regularly, some of it a lot more expensive than an iPhone and I refuse to get rid of packaging too as I like to keep it.

I am usually traveling with someone else though so I split the boxes and the items and wait till one of us gets though before going through. No box, no problem and only a box...sure a box is worthless.

I’d sometimes wait till they pull someone else also and then fly past if I really want to be safe but to be honest they aren’t even there a lot of the time especially if it’s not Dublin airport. I’ve never been stopped anyway in any airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

Anyone buy off three online? Does it take the full 10 days shipping or anyone get one sooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Anitajinks

Looks like the iPhone Pro max is available to order online from Vodafone this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Anyone buy off three online? Does it take the full 10 days shipping or anyone get one sooner?

Ordered a Midnight green one on the 9th but ended up cancelling after one of their online reps told me it would be a month at the earliest before it ships. Ended up finding one in compub who also have had v limited stock for the last few weeks

Anitajinks wrote: »
    Looks like the iPhone Pro max is available to order online from Vodafone this evening.

Only 64gb though. Same for the Pro’s. Really annoying. I’ve been waiting to get a Pro from them for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GFF

martin_g wrote: »
    Best of luck so. I just had enough of them.

Had my dispatched today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

I got the 256gb Pro Max green three weeks ago in the states, sim free.

I noticed the stock replenished every morning ( checking around 7/8am ) - worth noting for anyone over there.

I upgraded from the X ( same size 256gb ) - apart from the screen increase, battery improvements and camera improvements, there’s not much else to sing about.

Ps - the battery is better but I feel this is the case with any new phone regardless.

Anyone use Gboard? Please tell me how I can silence it before the phone goes through the window.

Sorted the above, found Swiftkey.

I’ve another issue though that there must be a setting for. I don’t seem to be able to download files to my phone. I was trying to attach a file to an email today from Google Drive. I could browse to the file but it just wouldn’t do anything when I pressed on it. So in the file manager I copied the file from Google Drive to my iphone storage but when I go to ‘On My iphone’ the file is there but it’s greyed out and has “not uploaded” beside it. I blamed it on being on 4G before but I’ve been on Wifi since 4pm and it’s still like that. I also tried to make the file available offline from Drive but if I go to my iCloud Downloads (where it must go offline to) it’s there too but greyed out as well with the same message. On the same folder on my ipad it’s not showing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

i bout my 7+ 256gb directly from apple 3 years ago , using virgin media all you can eat €25 a month

so i'm reluctant to sign up to a phone deal where you pay way over the odds for the phone on the longterm

what's the cheapest company to buy the 11 pro from ? simfree prefferably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

i bout my 7+ 256gb directly from apple 3 years ago , using virgin media all you can eat €25 a month

so i'm reluctant to sign up to a phone deal where you pay way over the odds for the phone on the longterm

Jsut do the math.

Check apple.ie for price of phone and divide by say 24 months and then take the price of mins and texts and add that into the tally.

It generally works out the same, with maybe a slight premium of about €50 over what you'd pay off apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This is a myth that people who buy direct always say because you're including the cost of the mobile network service as the phone cost.

For example, I got an iPhone 11 64gb at launch from Eir with their unlimited Data pack. I got it for €249 up front and then €55 a month with the first year at €44 a month.

So do the maths.

€55 and €44 for 12 months each is €660 +€528=€1188
    Add up front cost of €249 gives a total cost of €1437 for the two years.

The same plan as I have on sim only is on offer now for €14.99 for 6 months and €29.99 thereafter.
    So that would equate to €89.94 & €539.82 to total €539.82 network costs which I can't avoid.

Deduct that from €1437 contract cost and the phone costs €897.18. Only €68.18 more than Apples price of €829 and not exactly over the odds as you claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

murpho999 wrote: »
    The same plan as I have on sim only is on offer now for €14.99 for 6 months and €29.99 thereafter.
    So that would equate to €89.94 & €539.82 to total €539.82 network costs which I can't avoid.

Someone with a SIM free iPhone will go for the GoMo plan and get the exact same Eir network service with more data (80GB) for 10 euros per month. Those are the figures to use in the calculation, hence the 2 years network cost is 240 euros and not 540.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Someone with a SIM free iPhone will go for the GoMo plan and get the exact same Eir network service with more data (80GB) for 10 euros per month. Those are the figures to use in the calculation.

Not if they want a data signal and any customer service by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Not if they want a data signal and any customer service by the looks of it.

If they want decent customer service they should avoid Eir altogether regardless of which offer they go for. They’ve always been horrendous.

Advertisement