Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 11, 11 Max/Pro, 11R

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Not if they want a data signal and any customer service by the looks of it.

The coverage on eir is the exact same as GoMo. Customer service is probably the same just lack of phone or store support.

I agree that with the new €10 plan it makes it really hard to justify buying an iPhone on contract anymore. Sim-free and a €10 sim is perfect and the cheapest option right now.

Only reason I can see to go contract would be if you hadn’t got the money up-front to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bob24 wrote: »
    Someone with a SIM free iPhone will go for the GoMo plan and get the exact same Eir network service with more data (80GB) for 10 euros per month. Those are the figures to use in the calculation, hence the 2 years network cost is 240 euros and not 540.

Very presumptuous of you to assume that people would go with GoMo.
    I personally wouldn't switch to gomo and also I got Eir Sport with Eir which is another benefit.

Not many switching to GoMo as they're still advertising the €9.99 deal for first 100,000 customers and no mention what happens to their prices after they hit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

murpho999 wrote: »
    Very presumptuous of you to assume that people would go with GoMo.
    I personally wouldn't switch to gomo and also I got Eir Sport with Eir which is another benefit.

Not many switching to GoMo as they're still advertising the €9.99 deal for first 100,000 customers and no mention what happens to their prices after they hit that.

If someone goes SIM-free, why would they subscribe to a 30 euros offer (past 6 months) instead of 10 euros one to access the same network and have less data with the more expensive offer? (If Eir Sports is worth that amount to someone it is fine, but they will clearly be in a minority).

If someone goes SIM-free, why would they subscribe to a 30 euros offer (past 6 months) instead of 10 euros one to access the same network and have less data with the more expensive offer? (If Eir Sports is worth that amount to someone it is fine, but they will clearly be in a minority).

Because people just do it and many people don't shop around.

Simple as that.

DubDJ wrote: »

Only reason I can see to go contract would be if you hasn’t got the money up-front to pay for it.

Agree (assuming the person is OK with Eir, if they want another network then it is a different story).

Another exception would be if for some reason you are entitled for special discounts on mobiles/contracts you get from Eir (corporate customers, people getting discounts through their employer, customers will some type of loyalty discount, etc). But if you are paying the list price I don’t see why you would do it.

And it is not just the cheaper price, but also the extra freedom of having an unlocked phone and being able to stop/change your plan whenever you like. Being unlocked can be particularly nice if you spend a few weeks in a non EU country where eSIMs are supported ... mains you can have a local SIM for data and your Irish number still active for calls and texts.

• Advertisement

Because people just do it and many people don't shop around.

Simple as that.

Ok, so your maths are only valid for someone who doesn’t shop around then. But then they are not the kind of person who would do the maths anyway.

Agree (assuming the person is OK with Eir, if they want another network then it is a different story).

Another exception would be if for some reason you are entitled for special discounts on mobiles/contracts you get from Eir (corporate customers, people getting discounts through their employer, customers will some type of loyalty discount, etc). But if you are paying the list price I don’t see why you would do it.

And it is not just the cheaper price, but also the extra freedom of having an unlocked phone and being able to stop/change your plan whenever you like. Being unlocked can be particularly nice if you spend a few weeks in a non EU country where eSIMs are supported ... mains you can have a local SIM for data and your Irish number still active for calls and texts.

Do people constantly switch? I don't think so. Just because you do does not mean people do. I don't think most people are constantly switching networks all the time.

A two year contract is not as long you make out and also your phone can be network unlocked after 6 months so the esim thing is a not a major issue.

Ok, so your maths are only valid for someone who doesn’t shop around then. But then they are not the kind of person who would do the maths anyway.

I weighed up the costs before deciding to get the phone and the timing and plan suited me at this time.

Most people tend to stick with the same network and also think they're due "an upgrade" and just believe what the network tell them despite the "upgrade" price being the exact same for any punter.

The people who do show around and switch are very much in the minority in my opinion.

That's why GoMo have not hit their 100,000 customers yet (which is not a lot) and they do not say what happens after they hit that target.

Do people constantly switch? I don't think so. Just because you do does not mean people do. I don't think most people are constantly switching networks all the time.

A two year contract is not as long you make out and also your phone can be network unlocked after 6 months so the esim thing is a not a major issue.

But then, we are talking of paying more money in order to:
    - have less data
    - be locked in a contract for 2 years
    - have the phone locked for 6 months
    - and as a single benefit having Eir sports on the mobile

Again; if from your perspective Eir sports is valuable and the drawbacks are not impactful it is very fine and there is no arguing it is the best offer for you. But I do think most people who look into the details will decide that SIM free is better value for money for them.

Personally I think Eir will either have to stop the current GoMo offer (which I agree they might do if/when the 100k limit is reached), or lower their contact prices. But as it currently stands, IMO there is a strong imbalance between the 2 in GoMo’s favour.

100k is a lot btw, that would be 10% of their customer base (and many people can’t move precisely because they are locked in contracts).

But then, we are talking of paying more money in order to:
    - have less data
    - be locked in a contract for 2 years
    - have the phone locked for 6 months
    - and as a single benefit having Eir sports on the mobile

Again; if from your perspective Eir sports is valuable the drawbacks are not impactful it is very fine and there is no arguing it is the best offer for you. But what I do think most people who do look into the details will decide that SIM free is better value for money for them.

Personally I think Eir will either have to stop the current GoMo offer (which I agree they might do if/when the 100k limit is reached), or lower
    their contact prices. But as it currently stands, there is an imbalance between the 2 in GoMo’s favour.

I have unlimited data and have no issue with 2 year contract or waiting to unlock for 6 months.
    I have zero interest in jumping networks all the time as do most punters.

GoMo will definitely up prices after they hit the 100k

• Advertisement

Better off looking at it from an average person’s point of view. They’re looking to buy the new iPhone 11, and comparing prices.

It’s a lot better value to buy the iPhone from Apple and pick up a GoMo sim for €10 per month for unlimited everything.

Signing up to a bill pay deal means you’re locked in, paying more and probably have a more limited plan (depending on which one you choose).

There could be extra benefits by picking bill pay over sim free, eg access to eir sports, but with the money you’re saving you could probably put it towards a proper sport subscription like NowTV sky pass or the full eir tv package.

Haven’t done the numbers so don’t know if it adds up but you can also cancel those subscriptions when the premier league season ends for example, if you only want it for those matches.

Think the main point is if somebody is looking to buy a new iPhone for unlimited calls, sms and data then sim free is best option at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have unlimited data and have no issue with 2 year contract or waiting to unlock for 6 months.
    I have zero interest in jumping networks all the time as do most punters.

GoMo will definitely up prices after they hit the 100k

I don’t believe they will limit it to 100k because if they announce the deal is closed then no one will sign up with them knowing that 100k people are only paying €10 per month. The 100k is only to push people into signing, realistically it’ll remain at €10 for as many people that want it.

I don’t believe they will limit it to 100k because if they announce the deal is closed then no one will sign up with them knowing that 100k people are only paying €10 per month. The 100k is only to push people into signing, realistically it’ll remain at €10 for as many people that want it.

Yes that is very possible. I think they are keeping an open mind and will wait and see how it impacts their business (i.e. are most GoMo customers coming from other Eir or from other networks) and how other networks react.

Is it a thing that you can’t upload a photo to imgur from an iphone (or ipad)?

Better off looking at it from an average person’s point of view. They’re looking to buy the new iPhone 11, and comparing prices.

It’s a lot better value to buy the iPhone from Apple and pick up a GoMo sim for €10 per month for unlimited everything.

Signing up to a bill pay deal means you’re locked in, paying more and probably have a more limited plan (depending on which one you choose).

There could be extra benefits by picking bill pay over sim free, eg access to eir sports, but with the money you’re saving you could probably put it towards a proper sport subscription like NowTV sky pass or the full eir tv package.

Haven’t done the numbers so don’t know if it adds up but you can also cancel those subscriptions when the premier league season ends for example, if you only want it for those matches.

Think the main point is if somebody is looking to buy a new iPhone for unlimited calls, sms and data then sim free is best option at the moment.

I have Sky sports through Sky so don't need or use Now TV.

Also, Eir's data plans are very generous and mostly unlimited so I don't know why you keep going on about it.

SIm free is a good option but not as much cheaper as you're making out unless you get GoMo's time limited offer.

I have Sky sports through Sky so don't need or use Now TV.

Also, Eir's data plans are very generous and mostly unlimited so I don't know why you keep going on about it.

SIm free is a good option but not as much cheaper as you're making out unless you get GoMo's time limited offer.

Taking the entry level iPhone 11:

Eir: €249 up front + €59.99 x 24 = €1688.76
    GoMo: €829 up front + €9.99 x 24 = €1068.76

Both plans offer unlimited data, calls and texts. The eir plan has 40GB of roaming data vs 10GB with GoMo and eir has the free sport pack and 100 international minutes. With GoMo you can cancel whenever you want and you get the phone unlocked right away.

That’s what I’m basing my opinion on, If over €600 isn’t a big difference to you fair enough, but I think it’s a major difference personally.

Taking the entry level iPhone 11:

Eir: €249 up front + €59.99 x 24 = €1688.76
    GoMo: €829 up front + €9.99 x 24 = €1068.76

Both plans offer unlimited data, calls and texts. The eir plan has 40GB of roaming data vs 10GB with GoMo and eir has the free sport pack and 100 international minutes. With GoMo you can cancel whenever you want and you get the phone unlocked right away.

That’s what I’m basing my opinion on, If over €600 isn’t a big different to you fair enough, but I think it’s a major difference personally.

As I've said I'm not paying €59.99 with EIR.

Also, never heard of GoMo until this thread.

So don't worry about it.

Not if they want a data signal and any customer service by the looks of it.

I’ve been with eir for many years for my mobile. Have found their coverage and data specs excellent and have had zero issues with customer service.

I switched to gomo and have the exact same network coverage and data speeds for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

i bout my 7+ 256gb directly from apple 3 years ago , using virgin media all you can eat €25 a month

so i'm reluctant to sign up to a phone deal where you pay way over the odds for the phone on the longterm

what's the cheapest company to buy the 11 pro from ? simfree prefferably

Apple themselves, if you decide to upgrade your 7+

Given it’s got a 256gb storage you should get a bit more off than I was looking at to upgrade from a 32gb 7+

The trade-in was offering me €190 off an iPhone 11, think it was coming in around the €800 mark for me.

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-11

Have to correct myself there - €160 for my current phone, meaning the total was €829 for the iPhone 11 64gb model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Completely out of the loop here so this may be a stupid question!

Is there an actual brick and mortar shop that sells a sim free iPhone 11? Keen to try an Apple device after being a lifelong Android user. I have a One4All voucher that I'd like to put towards it.

Had a look on Carphone Warehouse but they don't seem to sell it sim free.

• Advertisement

Those CompuB ones would have them wouldn't they?

Those CompuB ones would have them wouldn't they?

Never even heard of them so I'll check them out, thanks.

Edit: Don't accept the One4All unfortunately.

Pac1Man wrote: »

Edit: Don't accept the One4All unfortunately.

Otherwise there is iConnect. Or Dixon’s travel at the airport.

And not 100% sure, but maybe Curry’s PC World, which should accept your vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Argos, Harvey Norman, Brown Thomas, Currys PCW all stock sim free iPhone 11 and accept One4All

Excellent, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi just wondering about the iphone 11 is it a good upgrade from the other phones since the iphone 6? I am not sure if I should buy it this year or in 2020 or wait for the new SE or iphone 12 to be available next September?

Shn99 wrote: »
    Argos, Harvey Norman, Brown Thomas, Currys PCW all stock sim free iPhone 11 and accept One4All

Carphoneware house stock sim free phones as well, what about the iphone 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

starlit wrote: »
    Carphoneware house stock sim free phones as well, what about the iphone 11?

Iphone 11 series isnt available sim free yet

Oh right thanks. When do latest iPhones become sim free in carphoneware house? They in the other shops listed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Any ideas when virgin media have the 11 pro in stock ?

Also

Whats the diff between 11 and 11pro ? Is it just better batter

Advertisement