Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mine was taken to the nearest dealer, who told me it will take between 7 to 12 days. Was supposed to have a hire car, which is what VW Assist give, within two hours of my car being received in the garage. Turns out to be 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are these door issues across all the ID range or is it just known to happen in the 4 and 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭electricus

Call ID Assist, they will arrange a replacement car and bring your car to the dealer for priority repairs.

I had a fault light a couple of months back and had it fixed in 2 days with ID assistant compared to 6 week wait when I called the dealer direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Problem is it's intermittent, not constant like some others. If it happens before the garage appointment then I might give them a call

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭electricus

It sounds like a fairly serious safety issue though, which might be enough for them to book it in. Ask them who would be liable if it happened and something went wrong?

I called them about an sos warning in my id.3 and they insisted on picking up the car even though it was driving fine. It turned out to be a bad sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

you will! I have a 222 ID4 with 50k kms and it just started to happen on mine last week.

They stopped selling ID4's in USA for a while until they applied the fix to any being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve a 221, 60,000 and no issue with the doors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Volkswagen Recalls ID.4 EV to Fix Doors That Can Open Unexpectedly
    The problem is due to water leaking into the electronic door handles

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/car-recalls-defects/volkswagen-recalls-id4-ev-to-fix-doors-a8257155809

• Advertisement

Maybe they fixed mine when doing the upgrade in the garage. No idea, but I've had no issues. Changing it for a ProPlus soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Comer1

I'm getting an error message telling me "Please clean front parking sensors." They are clean. I read somewhere here that is is not an uncommon problem. How did anyone with this issue get on with getting it repaired under warranty. Thanks

ID.4 owners can now join the frunk club

For €300....ouch

https://www.frunk.at/produkt/set-vw-id-4-id-5-frunk/

Might wait for the Alibaba knock offs to appear

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭id.4 fan

Started off as aggressive breaking just before coming to a dead stop. (at around 5kph)

At first I thought it was me just stamping the break by mistake but it got worse to the extend that it would nearly throw you forward in the car.

Smooth breaking all the way down to 5kph and then the car would jam on the breaks.

Brought it to the garage and believe it or not they tried to tell me this was normal!!!! Car was driving perfect up 70k.

Garage kept the car for 3 days to run further tests. They gave me back the car driving perfect.
    Crazy thing is they still maintained they did nothing with it. Told me there were no faults codes until I showed them the drive motor faults codes I discovered on my OBD11 Pro.

I ran the scan in the VW dealer car park before I handed over the keys.

Four days after I got the car back from the dealer I got an OTA notification from VW stating my cars drive motor needed to be recalibrated. Half hour download and 40 min install.

To this day I cannot understand why they felt the need to lie to me and all the secrecy about what was wrong with the car.

The door handle issue people are talking about is a recall waiting to happen imo.

I had the same error message that won’t go away.

Cleaned with WD40 and it fixed the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Possibly a bit of road tar? Hard to see on darker colour cars, but could potentially cause that problem.

I tried cleaning with white spirits last night, and thought they look spotless, the error is back this morning. I'll try WD40 this evening and if that doesn't work, I guess it's back to the dealer. I thought I read here, or somewhere else, that VW are blaming issues with parking sensors on stone damage, even though there isn't a mark on them?

Anyway, thanks for the responses and hopefully the WD40 will work🤞

If the sensor is marked warranty wont cover it.

There was a tiny mark barely visible to the naked eye on one of mine. I couldn’t see it but the dealer did.

They wanted stupid money for the sensor and fitting. Told me they needed to be calibrated etc etc

I said no thanks and went onto Alibaba and contacted a Chinese guy I know who sells most parts for the ID.4 and I mean most parts.

I bought two front parking sensors identical to the original and I can vouch for them they work. Plug n play, no calibrating, coding or that. €20 each.

Didn’t need them in the end as I took out the sensor and cleaned it up with WD40 and it worked perfectly again.

There’s little pins under the surface of the sensor that are sensitive to movement and dirt.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Eyy5rRN

Thanks for that. Brilliant bit of info! How do you get the sensors out, I don't want to do more damage through stupidly.

Push dead center gently on the front of the sensor with the flat part of your finger while putting two other fingers in behind the grill. If I remember correctly the clips behind the grill are vertically orientated. Push them towards each other.

Fiddle around with it and you’ll get it but don’t force anything. Once you get one out they’ll all pop out easy if need be,

• Advertisement

Update on the door saga, I managed to get an earlier appointment with another VW garage

To give the full story, I'd booked it in to have the AC fixed, then cancelled that appointment after getting it fixed by an independent garage. Then VW forgot to cancel the appointment and sent me a reminder yesterday, so called them and told them about the door issue

Dropped it in today and I asked how they were going to fix it. The service agent said they'd have to see it happening to diagnose the issue

I wasn't too happy with that answer and pointed out the door only fails to close on hot days and it wouldn't be a good look for VW if the door opened while driving and a child fell out

They gave me the same BS about needing to see the problem but they were confident the diagnostics would see if something was wrong

Seriously, do they just assume people are lying and dropping their cars in for the craic? Whatever happened to root cause analysis?

I suppose I was lucky that it was warm enough today, maybe the issue actually happened. I'll try to get the full story tomorrow

Anyway, got a call earlier saying the car was ready for pickup. I asked what they fixed and was told they had a door seal on order and I'd need to drop the car in again when it arrives

A door seal....seems like the kind of cheap parts you'd keep in stock

I'm genuinely curious how people who use their cars for work survive? Imagine telling a taxi driver he couldn't work for 3-4 days because of a door seal

I get that it isn't economical or practical to have every part in stock, but you'd think there'd be a list of relatively cheap and likely to replace parts that they'd keep around

I'm also curious about how they figured out the problem. The cynical part of my brain keeps telling me they hadn't a clue what was wrong but knew they had to do something and they just went for the cheapest and easiest potential fix

Anyway, that's my rant for the day, thanks for listening, it was very therapeutic 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

We collected our new Pro Plus today. This is our first EV, very impressed with it so far. The new infotainment / software is a huge step forward. I have a MK8 Golf GTI which has a similar infotainment as the old ID4 and this new system is a major improvement in terms of usability, intuitive, slick response, way better graphics, etc.

I’ve only driven it a short distance (it’s my wife’s car mainly), very nice to drive, smooth, comfortable and pulls quite well!

Best of look with her.

I hope they have addressed the existing problems on the older models.

Hi guys,

Getting on great with our new ID4 so far, very happy!

This isn't really a "today problem", but anyway ,I'm wondering whats the best approach for pre-heating these cars on the cold winter mornings?

I have the car on my Zappi every night and it's scheduled to charge in my 4 hour "cheap" window, 2am to 6am. This has worked perfectly so far.

On a winter morning, my wife might be heading off to work at around 7:30am. Do you simply tap on the "Air conditioning" tab on the home screen and tap "Start" while you're eating your breakfast? Or, if you always head off around the same time every morning, does setting a "Departure time" in the app do the same thing?

And the bigger question I have is, does the car need to be actively drawing power / on-charge in order for this cabin pre-heating (or cooling) to work? Or will it work off the car's battery if not getting a charge? And if off the battery, does it eat much battery % doing so? I'd probably prefer to not have the charger kick in after 6AM, if it only uses 2-3% of the battery to do the heating, thats OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

On a winter morning, my wife might be heading off to work at around 7:30am. Do you simply tap on the "Air conditioning" tab on the home screen and tap "Start" while you're eating your breakfast? Or, if you always head off around the same time every morning, does setting a "Departure time" in the app do the same thing?

You've answered your own question there. Those are the two options. There is no right or wrong answer. If manually starting it works for you then go with that.

The departure time setting only works if you consistently leave at the same time.

And the bigger question I have is, does the car need to be actively drawing power / on-charge in order for this cabin pre-heating (or cooling) to work?

No

And if off the battery, does it eat much battery % doing so?

Depends on how cold it is!

A percent or two would be typical. Just try it out for yourself and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Badger242

Has anyone on here had the issue where there is a gap between the tail light panel and the body of the car? Seems to be a common fault according to what I can see online. It happens when the tail light expands in the heat and cause it to bulge outwards. I can push it back in until almost flush, but in the heat it bulges out again.

I have read about a technical service bulletin (TSB 94-21-01) related to the problem. Has anyone had this issue and were they able to get it resolved? Or do people just live with it?

I recently purchased a 2021 1st edition and only noticed it last week. The car is out of general warranty so would probably have to pay for the work myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭AUDI20

Well wear with the new car, reminds me you always liked your cars and detailing them to perfection, I was also SBPhoto then have changed from Audi to and EV myself and am very happy with it.

haha cheers!

Technically the ID4 is my wife's car but I can definitely see myself using it a lot more than the car it replaced. I still have my own "fun car" in the garage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭joe1303l

If it’s a known issue which it would appear it is, you should at least get some goodwill towards the repair from VW Ireland. A full VW service history will help with your claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Badger242

From my understanding goodwill is at the discretion of the dealership rather that with VW Ireland. There was a problem in my car with the gear selector after only a couple of days ownership and it had to get replaced. It was only one week out of general warranty and I was hoping that it might get repaired under goodwill. VW Ireland told me it was up to the dealership to offer goodwill. As the car didn't come from the local VW dealership, they understandably wouldn't cover it. Luckily the car came with a three month 3rd party warranty which did cover it.

I don't think this issue would be covered under my 3rd party warranty. But based on the TSB, it doesn't look like a big job anyway. All they have to do remove the taillight, grease some fasteners and replace some clips that only cost a couple of euro. I'm more curious if anyone has had to get it done and whether it fixed the problem.

Advertisement