Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The new Tiguan looks a nice machine but it’s very pricey. I would say much better looking inside and out than the ID4 but you’ll certainly pay for it.

Only diesel available for now, the PHEV isn’t even priced yet. Later in the year I’m guessing.

The R-Line is just shy of 60k on the road. And you could easily add a few K on top of that without going mad on the options - e.g. Metallic paint and IQ lights (both standard on the ID4 pro plus) will add another €3k alone.

Compared to the ID4 Pro Plus at 45k-ish, it’s a lot of money. I’d say the PHEV may be slightly cheaper than the diesel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

Looks to have the same crap infotainment setup and poor ergonomics, I wouldn't buy anything like that again and it's part of the reason cars are more expensive but give me an estate any day or a saloon, not into those tall hatchbacks, the Greens call them SUVs LOL.

Even motorbikes, Maxi scooters are getting TFT screens, Sat nav etc, now, why would you want this on a motorbike when you need 10 times the level of concentration ? baffles me and one of the advantages of bikes was their sheer simplicity.

I bet Fits would love a tiguan DSG more than ID4 + she'd have no bother pulling trailers :-)

They are expensive but cars have got a lot more expensive the last few years + you're paying for all this new tech R&D + the huge increase in energy at the plants is making cars more expensive especially European built cars..

FFS , I just checked and a new basic Polo starts at 27,225 Euro's, that's absolutely shocking.

It's not long ago you could get a polo for 20 K or less, a clio 1.2 for 15,000 Euros or a yaris for much the same, not they're hybrid costing around the same as the polo.. that's just nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Have a Q5 for that job mad lad. It’s an i5 touring I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If the price was 41K and the value of the car is 25K or less after 3 years, that's not very good no matter how you pay for it.

You think that 40% depreciation is bad on a 3yr old car with 75k km's on it! Thats not bad at all. That quite normal. I think you have been on the PCP merry-go-round for too long! 😀

What trade-in were you expecting? €30k? The day you drove the car off the lot you lost at least €7k (like any new car) so that would bring it to ~€35k. How much do you think it should lose for the 2yrs and 75k km's you clocked up after that... only €5k?!!! Cloud cuckoo if you thought thats what was going to happen. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Exactly right. We're trading a 221 Ioniq 5 for a new ID4 and it's lost 13. 5k in 2 years and 60kms. I'm happy with the trade in we got at that.

The old rule of thumb was 50% loss every 3 years. €41k to €25k is actually quite decent for an ID3.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭amber69

I'll be picking up my new id4 tomorrow. This is my first electric car, any questions I should ask or things I could get them to show me. TIA

Congratulations and well wear.

cant think of anything in particular to ask. You’ll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Is it brand new Amber? One of the new 2024 models?

• Advertisement

Which model? Pro, Pro-plus? Colour?

Throw up a few photos when you get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Make sure all the extra bits are in the boot before you drive off. With mine I got

charging cable

granny charging cable

tyre inflator and repair kit

warning triangle

wheel lug nut key

first aid kit

cleaning / valet kit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Definitely would like to see some pics. I've the same spec and colour ordered. Would you mind telling us which dealer that's with?

Oh no I'm expecting it to be around 50% come October lol.

I knew what I was getting into on PCP, it was handy because I knew I wasn't going to keep the leaf or BMW i3 and if doing it again I would go with HP but I won't be doing it again in a hurry as I won't be buying any new car for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭fafy

Honestly i’d check around now, for trade in prices, there were several reports in recent months of some VW dealers refusing ID trade in’s, and the ones that were, had brutal trade in allowances.

Or wait until the storm passes. Bit like this rain , we are waiting longer than expected but we will get a settled spell again.

Maybe, but the id3 isn't the most liked EV out there due to the interior, headache infotainment and there are more and more models to choose.

However, depreciation only comes into effect if I sell the car, if I keep it it's a non issue but not sure I could live with it another year or 2 longer.

Yeah as I said , maybe in another thread, I'm expecting to be offered 20K for it in October, I'd be lucky to get 25K for it now I'd say, 41K new!

Whatever chance I have with VW I know no other dealer will give me much for it unless maybe if I bought a brand new car, I had this experience twice now with the leaf and BMW i3, I got basically nothing for either. But depreciation only matters if I go to sell it, if I keep it it's a non issue but as I said above, not sure I could live with it much longer. I just can't believe VW got the id cars so wrong, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭fafy

Agree, while overall, apart from the multiple software issues, and poor screeen/infotainment and absence of basic function buttons, and no extended warranty option after 3 years, it does seem a reasonably good car, but am so glad i didn’t buy one, (amost did)and went with an i3, not a single issue, everything works, every time, and all of the time, also much preferred the interior, better hd screen & hd camera, and other stuff.

The new one from ‘23, seems like a relatively basic upgrade, they could have gone a lot further.

The BMW i3 is a great car, a lot more fun, the Rex was great, the Idrive system far better than touch because touch on back roads can be a challenge, another reason I don't like touch screens, idrive is far more accurate and then press the button down to enter.

It is a reliable car other than that, just the interior, infotainment and the lack of promised software updated have really been a disappointment, the suspension is quite trashy too in town but most likely can't be avoided due to the massive weight.

If I had known that the software alone would have been so disastrous and not really changed much I wouldn't have touched it but I had high hopes it would have been a lot better then hearing that it's stuck on 3.xx and can't be any more major updates really p1sses me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭electricus

I like the ID interior for its space and lack of clutter. I don’t like the gloss black bits but every modern car seems to have some of that. The other ‘hard plastics’ on the lower dash and doors never bothered me even though reviewers obsess about it.

The infotainment system isn’t that bad either, post 3.2 update at least. I use auto for aircon so inly need to adjust temperature and radio is easy to control via the steering buttons.

I’m not saying there isn’t a lot of room for improvement but I’ve dealt with worse. I find BMW iDrive a pain to use, but that’s probably just me.

Still not sure I’ll keep my ID.3 but like you I don’t want to get into another PCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

In the end I paid off the PCP and decided to keep the car.

I was tempted to upgrade, the extra 80hp and newer infotainment look like a big improvement

But the numbers just didn't make sense, after the balloon payment I'd probably have barely covered the max deposit on a newer PCP deal. And then another 3 years of monthly payments

Better to pay it off and keep the car while saving money to pay off other debts (f**k you mortgage, gonna have you gotten rid of ASAP)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I was never able to get over people complaining about the fabric seats

I really like the fabric seats, they're comfy, they're easy to clean and you don't end up melded to the seat with sweat on a hot day

But some folks insist on considering a chair covered in dead cow skin that's been soaked in p!ss as a status symbol 🤷‍♂️

I'd actually be happy enough to get rid of the fake leather bits on the ID.4 seats

If I have one major complaint about the ID cars it's that for all the space inside there seems to be bugger all storage space. Pretty sure my 2007 Toyota Auris had more covered storage

The bit between the centre console and the dash does my head in, so much wasted space. They could really do with a storage shelf there

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

yea in most cars Ive had, in the center arm rest area, there is a place you can hide stuff away, not so much in id4

and the glove box is a crap shape for storage too.

pointless area in centre of car too towards the front, a little storage area underneath, not sure what you could put there

door bins nice and big though.

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭electricus

Yeah, much prefer fabric seats, especially in hot weather

I bought a tray and a divider for the centre console to better organise and make more use of that space. Ali Express is great for stuff like that.

The space between the centre console and dash doesn’t bother me - I prefer it to the enclosed cockpit style of some cars, or the bridge style with a hard to reach space underneath. If there was storage space there, it would end up full of shite anyway!

one thing I miss storage wise is a handy place for sunglasses. The glovebox is also pointless because of the fuse box location.

I'm done with PCP and new cars in general, the cost of new cars is gone ridiculous. But in fairness to PCP I did know what I was getting into and knew the end of the road had to come at some point, the balloon is always there waiting but PCP suited me up until now. I feel though a lot of people really do not realise that the balloon will need to be paid at some point and so many getting new cars on PCP that might only afford a 3 or 4 year old car on HP. Anyway, I suppose they'll figure it out eventually, it is really only suited for people who drive very little, say 5-10 K Kms max a year, after this depreciation is a killer. The amount of money that goes directly to the Government alone is staggering and I'm no longer giving all this money away for free.

Regarding interior, a lot of the plastics is what you would expect to see in the caddy van for a 41K car it's a disgrace and no rear door speakers, absolute jokers VW!

Infotainment, no, just not my thing and I can't understand why car manufacturers think putting screens in cars that people can interact with so much while driving was a good idea, for sat nav and media , yes it's great but nothing more.

radio , yes you can change stations on the steering but you have to go to a menu to go from radio to car play and when car play is active and the radio you have no idea what stations are on without going through more menus, ffs, this is ridiculous and you have to take your eyes off the road so much, this is not good when travelling at speed or anywhere really.

Again, if it wasn't broke why fix it ? plenty of complaints about this tech all over the internet from auto journalists to owners to people who say they will keep their old car a lot longer to avoid such nonsense.

I've been mortgage free since 2017 and it's really great however, I don't wan to be endlessly paying for cars but I think I just want shot of the id3, the missus is driving it now while the Outlander is getting the clutch slave cylinder replaced, might as well throw a clutch kit in there too , anyway she absolutely hates the id3 and can really understand my frustration, she always avoided driving it unless she had to be she has to now and it really bugs her.

So instead of paying 18K to pay off the id3 I could trade it in for 2nd hand ice with nicer more traditional interior.

I also recently bought an old Yamaha Tmax 500 maxi scooter, an amazing experience on 2 wheels , I highly recommend it lol.

What car were you looking for ? I don't mind buying a lower HP car, I don't drive mad anyway and rarely go over the 120 motorway limit and these days I'm on local country roads mostly 60-80 Km/h some 100 Km/hr. I'l have the odd day up to Blanchardstown from Carlow, some weeks maybe more and hopefully it will stay that way.

• Advertisement

There's a lot they could have done with the id 3 and 4.

I do miss the leather seats in the BMW i3, they were easy clean, the lads have the seats in the id.3 filthy, I should have got covers.

I don't like the heat off them on a hot day either, air conditioned seats would be nice !

I would really like an estate car but very few are being made today, same with saloons, Mondeo is gone, Fiesta gone, Focus going next year ffs. I wouldn't mind a focus, fords were always good to drive.

Definitely strange times we're seeing for cars.

Advertisement