Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Matrix Resurrections (with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I think I mentioned previously in this thread that I believe I read that the Wachowskis had planned on The Matrix being part of a trilogy but it could have been any part of the three.

The trailer does look cool. Definitely a more up-to-date take on the original's hooks: Martial Arts, Slow/motion/Bullet-time. The colour scheme seems over-saturated as opposed to the green tint of the original. This would be in keeping with the end of the last movie. Certainly Eoin's trailer in 268 implies almost a reboot. But then this could just be careful/clever editing. As mentioned before though, it really does look like Matrix 2.0. That is not necessarily a bad thing, if done right.

The only concern I have is that the Wachowskis need restraint. To paraphrase the perpetually-dying Uncle Ben: With great budget comes great responsibility.

Now The Matrix had a middling budget for the time: About 60 million in 1999. Not a low-budget indie but low enough to limit them. Their previous film, Bound, was a small movie. But the Matrix sequels had monster budgets which lead to bloated, overblown and unfocused movies. Their subsequent movies had similar issues.

I mean I am looking forward to this, I have my fingers crossed. The trailers do look promising but also some notes of concern (Those Blue glasses on the therapist are pretty on the nose (No pun intended) ). There is definitely scope for a 202X expansion/continuation/reimagining. I just wonder how this will be received. Part of the first Matrix's success was down to the introduction of many tropes found in anime to a western world. While anime still wouldn't be exactly mainstream, it is certainly more popular in the west now (Partially because of The Matrix)

Anyway: tldr: Looks interesting. Interesting take on the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Not doing anything for me. The Matrix was so original and groundbreaking and 22 years later, we're bringing back some of the cast to reenact iconic scenes we've seen before. I get that this appears to be a deliberate, meta approach, but it feels very inward to me for such a still somewhat unexplored IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I think it looks good and I'm looking forward to it. The first one blew me away. I was the right age for it and it was brilliant. The next two were awful.

But I'm open to enjoying one of it's half decent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What's throwing me off slightly is that change in colour-grading; the green-tinged approach to the interior of the Matrix itself was so iconic in of itself,, returning to it, and it NOT bathed in those hues is distracting. Seems like it's going for a bolder, more colourful palette.

Plot-wise, I'm going to make a swing that this Trinity is a honey-trap; deliberately reincarnated by the Machines to try and keep Neo in check - or at the very least, hold back his awakening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually a bit hyped for this after watching that trailer. I'd go with this being a circular meta/reboot thing going on. Something to tie up a lot of the older theories. I think if it doesn't try to do what 2 & 3 did and be complicated to the point of pretentiousness it could be a lot of fun.

I suspect we'll be dropped into a Matrix after a reboot where we see a lot of the same characters as before, all looking different. It's the same system, just going on a loop every time it's rebooted. People have the freedom of choice, but they keep making the same choices, and thus we end up with a "new" Morpheus, a "new" Smith, etc. This is how the Oracle could apparently "see" the future; she knows what choices were made before and therefore what choices would be made again.

The big difference this time will be the existence of the original Neo & Trinity inside the Matrix as ordinary Joes. Maybe an insurance policy for the machines if they lost control again or something. They know that Neo made a different choice last time because of Trinity, so they needed to keep her alive too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The change in the visual look of the Matrix is seemingly justified by the ending of Revolutions (see from 1:30 onward with the cat):

Though the real reason has probably more to do with the Wachowskis' preference for working with the same collaborators. John Toll has shot most of their stuff since The Matrix, though had to drop out of Resurrections due to Covid and was replaced by the camera operator.

The green tint in the trilogy was dialed back significantly in 4k releases. I don't think Bill Pope was a fan of it.

Hard to believe this film is out in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Bet you there will be a hbo matrix tv show after this. Hey if it's good enough for Disney why not hbo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Shred

I’ll go to see this but having just watched the first trailer I’ve zero expectations of it, which perhaps isn’t a bad thing.

I bought the BluRay boxset of the first 3 5/6 years ago and it took me probably another 3 or so to finally rewatch Revolutions and, without the weight of expectation of the first time, I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would (I still enjoy Reloaded warts and all).

They probably should have left it there (Andy/Lilly has in fairness) but let’s see!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Looking forward to seeing what the hell "The Matrix Awakens" is all about. Seems to be a tech demo for Unreal 5 engine but wonder if there will be any lead in to the next movie or lore.

Post edited by corcaigh07 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A small clip has surfaced; I love Keanu, he seems a genuinely decent human being & his commitment to the physicality of John Wick is commendable ... but the clip does remind that actual acting has never been his strong suit...

It's basically a playable advert for the engine, so that they can entice developers to use it. The demo uses a few Matrix-themed set pieces but only to illustrate the driving/shooting physics of the engine. And the city isn't Matrix-themed or anything like that - it's actually free to anyone who uses the engine. So technically a small team could develop a GTA-style game without having to create a new city, or make a driving game with the roads and routes already laid out.

Not sure if it was posted before, Neo meets Morpheus:

In the words of Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi, I have a bad feeling about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm just not hyped for this.

I don't know if it's because it's been so damn long since The Matrix was released, that Revolutions and Reloaded were such let downs or that this seems like it's climbed so far up it's own arse that it may be impossible to drag it out.

Most of me thinks this will be a good film, but certainly not a great film.

I was thinking about this earlier. if you look at the first Matrix movie, the first 2 thirds of the film are introducing Neo and the viewer to the Matrix. the last third of the movie is the rescue of Morpheus and is basically an action movie set inside the Matrix. What they should have done was follow it up with additional action movies set inside the Matrix. Instead, after introducing the Matrix, they created follow up movies with changing the matrix lore.

I think maybe the Wachowski's have noticed their mistake so are rebooting Matrix 1, with a plan for John Wick-esque movies set inside the Matrix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

US critics have been seeing it over the last few days so very keen to hear the first reviews. Really, really hoping it's good - would love Lana to throw out the weird meta-sequel teased in some of the trailers and the tech demo thing.

I have zero expectations for this. I was never that big into The Matrix the first time around so haven't got the Emotional investment ticking away, but still keeping my expectations wayyyyy down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've rewatched the trilogy in preparation and even watched The Animatrix for the first time (Don't.... just don't.... First maybe half an hour is alright, but then it's just pure nonsense).

I don't think they can ever top the first film, but at the very least this can and should be better than Reloaded & Revolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I reckon this film is all gonna be about Trinity and Neo and the One 🙂

There. I've said it. I don't care. I can stop thinking about it now.

• Advertisement

Wildly divergent initial reactions from critics on Twitter. Sounds very, very meta.

Reading very varying reviews myself; also emphasising just how meta it is. Wonder if this might be the more divisive blockbuster since Last Jedi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Heard it's terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Insightful.

Early online reactions indicate it's a very divisive movie.

Really looking forward to seeing which side of the fence I'll be on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Are the lack early of reviews a bit worrying?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They’ve let critics see it (and not just the ‘gushing early reactions’ blogger crowd) so there should be full reviews shortly.

Therell be lots of ‘discourse’ about the film by all accounts. Can’t. Bloody. Wait.

According to Simon Mayo during the Mayo/Kermode broadcast last week, he was under an NDA not to speak about it - so that'd account for the silence in some quarters. The letterboxd profile for the film has a few reviews up already, while I'm fairly sure I read a blog listing the various reactions on Twitter thus far. The prevailing tone has been it's going to be divisive, so maybe WB are trying to bottle the negative side of that reaction as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'm not sure they are being so secretive , the whole plot leaked over 6 months ago and from what I have seen of the trailers it looks like it was 100% accurate.

On paper it looks like a good plot but it will all depend on the execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I hope it's as mental as I would expect from a Wachowski and it takes chances, but more importantly I hope that whatever new narrative they've spun that they stick to it in sequels for better or worse. Last thing I want to see is another Star Wars trilogy torn apart by wanting to make everyone happy.

That's what film making is supposed to be about and not about appealing to these test audiences and obsessives.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Don't read the Empire review anyway. Massive spoiler within 10 words.

Advertisement