Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Matrix Resurrections (with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Is the reason Matrix 4 is being made because basically everything else the Wachowskis made flopped ? It’s unlikely any studio would give them money anymore other then for a matrix sequel

Joe Pantoliano features a lot in the trailer… he was really great in the movie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only Lana is involved with this, Lilly went elsewhere and from her comments, was very much of the thinking, "I don't want to return to something that was a huge emotional deal for me".

We can't know for sure, but I could see a few scenarios: one was any future projects were under the condition of making a new Matrix film (something Warners have probably wanted for years now); or Lana wanted to return to the world, a comfort project after noted wobbles like Speed Racer or Jupiter Ascending. Wouldn't be the first artist to do that.

Or maybe the license reverted to WB if she didn't make a new movie, who knows. In any case, WB were probably gagging for some nostalgia mining, it just came down to how enthused Lana Wachowki was to do it.

Having just re watched 2 and 3 my excitement levels for Matrix 4 have gone way down.

I dont know how anyone didn’t stop them and say these scripts are garbage… full of incomprehensible babble and boring scenes/characters…. There was potential if someone reworked the script and edited mercilessly.

Hopefully the studio has Lana W on tight leash because success and free reign was not beneficial.

at least we didn’t get sequels to fight club or being John malokviech or American beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Long post warning!

Imo, it feels like matrix 2 and 3 were written and created by different people compared to the first. That much of a shift.

But you can see where the Wachowski's where coming from. Sure we don't know what came first - Warner Brothers saying that they want to make 2 and 3 together now go off and write it or the Wachowski's wrote 2 and 3 and that's what kicked off doing both. But in any case 2 sequels were made to one of the greatest movies of all time. So how do you write such a thing?

Do you play it safe and just rehash the first or offer something new like they did? The first matrix ends pretty closed. Sure enough room to make a sequel but what would the story be about to span 2 and 3?

The most obvious road to go down is to have the machines attack Zion given it's build up in the first. Also means we have to get alot of Zion scenes tho (which weren't great) as theres no threat without seeing Zion in a movie. But it's a matrix movie, how do you create a need for people to go in the matrix if the real threat is outside in the real world? So que all this key maker guff etc. You can see where the Wachowski's where going.

You almost had to bring back Hugo Weaving as he was amazing as Smith so having him go rouge and cloning himself was a nice element.

But the biggest thing is how do you end the story of 2 and 3. I always felt having peace between the machines was an easy cop out to end the series. Its more clean. Because if the humans won more questions would be raised. Suddenly a few billion people wake up from their pods? Can't move because of their muscles. How would zion cope with billions needing shelter etc. It wouldn't be a clean ending and explaining all that would be a borning LONG ending.

So you can see the challenge the Wachowski's faced. How do you write two more movies. Rehash the first movie two more times some how or try to expand. Sadly imo I think they made some wrong choices.

• Advertisement

Delete me :p

Do not click on this spoiler unless you want this certain aspects of movie to be spoiled for you. I just watched this trailer for the 10th time and spotted something. But it's not a little "oh hey, I seen that" - It's a bit more than that.

Clicking fingers appears to be a thing. Like changing reality at a click.

# At the 15 second mark we see someone (who knows) click his fingers and with the edit of the trailer we cut back to Neo in the Shrink's (Neil Patrik Harrick Harris) Room.

# At 1:54 Neo is trying to click his fingers as a gun is in his face.

# At 2:22 you see Neo on the bike with Trinity 'scarfing' his hand around her neck which seems to be clicking his fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I didn't know this was actually happening.

Having looked at the trailer, the One looks exactly like John Wick, with the beard and long hair.

Why would they do that?

Its a bit like how did the same people who made the first season of Lost, make, well, all the other seasons of Lost. The number one answer - pressure from the networks/film studios to make more. And quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I watched the first one again at the weekend. Love it, hadnt seen it for a few years. As I looked at the 3 in the bluray box set, that I got about 12 years ago, I realised the 2nd and 3rd one have never been taken out of the box. Trailer for the new one looks okay. Wont be in a rush to go see it. For a start, Neo needs to be clean shaven, with the long black coat.

• Advertisement

He had a shaved head/no beard recently, maybe half way through the movie he get a chop/shave

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

I made the mistake of reading the complete plot leak online. It sounds like a really amazing movie! I think that people will love it! Why oh why did 8 ruin it for myself! The suspense was too much to take

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Oh no you have planted the seed in peoples minds now.

I didnt realise that there was a plot leak....must resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

As Agent Smith would say that is the sound of inevitability.😀

That poster makes me think we could be in skunk picture territory.

No other Matrix movie is going to beat the original. Its a classic. All we can hope for is that this is a decent sequel and better than 2 or 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"skunk picture" is bad, right? lol.

There's a degree of redundancy to this project, given the original trilogy had an ending (whether it was a good ending is another matter); but I'm wondering if this new film is going to function as a jumping-off point for either a new series of films - or a HBO max TV show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The plot centres around the fact that Neo realizes that people who take the "red pill" are actually a load of loopy moaning lazy alt-right incel losers who sit around all day in their sweaty leather trench coats moaning about sheeple and decides that he is better off trying to get back in with the blue pill people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

"Skunk Picture"? New one to me. I assume as in "It stinks"

My first-glance impression was "OK. That's fairly OTT Bad-Ass". But then you got to remember the first one.

TBH, I haven't watched the sequels in years but the first one does, in general, hold up. Sure, some of it looks very clichè now but you got to remember, this came up with many of the clichès (Or at least wast the first one to really rip-off anime to a large western audience).

Is the sequel needed? Probably not. Is there potential for it to be good? Certainly. Is there potential for it to be cr4p? CERTAINLY. I didn't actually think of it being a potential jump-off point for a HBO/streaming series. I was just thinking of "The Matrix 2.0: The Next Generation"

But yeah, younger (cheaper) cast. 21st Century update? Prime for a streaming/HBO expensive series

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

My immediate thought is that poster makes me regret my recently purchased goretex trench coat. How many years were they ruined by with the first movies.

Otherwise, its fine. But then again, one of the few things I’ll defend from Reloaded is those oddly cropped character posters.

Younger and cheaper? Apart from Keanu, I'd not have said any of the original movies' cast cost the studio that much. Unknowns and character actors really. Especially given names like Will Smith and (I think) Sean Connery were originally in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well that's true. Let's say "Younger" so. Thinking again of the funny "Stargate" take on that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Pretty cool, but just FYI for everyone else, that's a very spoilery trailer to me. That kind of thing doesn't bother me in the slightest, but just thought I'd give a warning.

• Advertisement

The sound mix on that second trailer is really weird; like it's missing all the ambient FX.

Between those two trailers, especially the first, I'm wondering: is this going to be some kind of reboot? The noises being made feel that way. Like, we know from the original trilogy that all this has happened before; is this version we drop in on some attempt at a partial reset, allowing Neo to grow old and unaware of the truth until a new generation comes along to shake him out of his torpor?

Advertisement