Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I believe cultural appropriation is a load of me bollix. See an example below.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7642079/Love-Islands-Molly-Mae-Hague-slammed-cultural-appropriation-Cleopatra-Halloween-costume.html

So what if someone dresses a certain way? Get ta fcuk with your cultural appropriation.

I do too. I think, if people of different ethnic backgrounds live in close quarters, they’re gonna notice cool things that each other is wearing or ways they are doing their make up or whatever. Isn’t it a compliment to want to emulate a certain style you saw on somebody? Isn’t it quite divisive to suggest that styles can’t mingle?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

blueshade wrote: »
    I've never really been interested in space. I'd love to see a lot more exploration of the seas tbh. I don't think we have any idea just what is really under there.

I am interested in space but the oceans have not been explored to the extent they should be. Perhaps that's a good thing for marine creatures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

All gender/race/colour/religion quotas should be banned.

No black quota for SA rugby.
    No gender quotas for electoral candidates.
    No women-only posts in universities.

ONLY ability should matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Rodin wrote: »
    All gender/race/colour/religion quotas should be banned.

No black quota for SA rugby.
    No gender quotas for electoral candidates.
    No women-only posts in universities.

ONLY ability should matter.

A black quota exists for SA rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I do too. I think, if people of different ethnic backgrounds live in close quarters, they’re gonna notice cool things that each other is wearing or ways they are doing their make up or whatever. Isn’t it a compliment to want to emulate a certain style you saw on somebody? Isn’t it quite divisive to suggest that styles can’t mingle?

To be fair, I can see why a Native American would be pissed off with native headdresses (used in sacred rituals and ceremonies) being used as costumes by a group whose ancestors did their level best to try and wipe them off the planet.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

To be fair, I can see why a Native American would be pissed off with native headdresses (used in sacred rituals and ceremonies) being used as costumes by a group whose ancestors did their level best to try and wipe them off the planet.

Nah, don't agree. Just because someone believes something is sacred doesn't mean that the rest of the world should believe it.

I do feel sorry that they were almost wiped out but hey ho, didn't the English try the same with us and everyone else they tried to colonise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

True, but I'd be a bit pissed with a non native American, being pissed on behalf of a native American who's perfectly capable (and entitled) to be pissed on his (or her) own behalf....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

Fracture wrote: »
    I never liked Gay Byrne, yeh it's sh1t that he's passed on and all that but I couldn't give a sh1te.

And we couldn't give shyte that you never like Gay Byrne and couldn't give a shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Michael D Higgins comes across as extremely effeminate.
    And he's a terrible poet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Michael D Higgins comes across as extremely effeminate.

Handy him living in the Phoenix Park. Those effeminate lads 'do be having lots of fun' in the Phoenix Park. Just ask Mr. E. Stag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I'm not sure if i'm reading this right but is this the self same equality of outcome bullsh much beloved of certain feminists for example?

As in it's not enough to just afford the same opportunities to everyone, you need to actively rig the game so that sub section "x" will win at least as often as subsection "y"? Completely ignoring that maybe subsection "Y" have been succeeding more at the given topic because they just happen to be better at it.

It's fúcking daft beyond belief!
    If I was to say that men are more prone to violence and aggression than women, the feminists would agree and pat me the back for raising awareness of toxic masculinity in society.

If I was to say that men are naturally more drawn to subjects like engineering than women, I'd be told I need to sort out my internalised misogyny and the only reason women aren't equally represented in engineering is because sexism etc.

Equal right's fanatics are very selective about what facts they are willing to accept. Imagine the sh1t storm if men tried to bring in a gender quota for male nurses or decided that midwife is no longer an all inclusive term :pac: Some industries attract more of one gender than the other. It doesn't make the other less capable, just less interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

high_king wrote: »
    And we couldn't give shyte that you never like Gay Byrne and couldn't give a shyte.

Who is "we"? I couldn't give a shyte that you don't give a shyte that I don't give a shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Fracture wrote: »
    Who is "we"? I couldn't give a shyte that you don't give a shyte that I don't give a shyte.
    Yeah that was a strange post. It's the unpopular opinions thread - can't see what you did to prompt that response to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Mary Robinson is an obnoxious hypocritical self serving Kunt

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    If I was to say that men are more prone to violence and aggression than women, the feminists would agree and pat me the back for raising awareness of toxic masculinity in society.

If I was to say that men are naturally more drawn to subjects like engineering than women, I'd be told I need to sort out my internalised misogyny and the only reason women aren't equally represented in engineering is because sexism etc.

Equal right's fanatics are very selective about what facts they are willing to accept. Imagine the sh1t storm if men tried to bring in a gender quota for male nurses or decided that midwife is no longer an all inclusive term :pac: Some industries attract more of one gender than the other. It doesn't make the other less capable, just less interested.

Was just checking otigind og the term “midwife”. It comes from Old English and literally translates as “with woman”, said woman being the one giving birth, so it has been a gender neutral term from its conception, unless it is sexist to say only a woman can give birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Was just checking otigind og the term “midwife”. It comes from Old English and literally translates as “with woman”, said woman being the one giving birth, so it has been a gender neutral term from its conception, unless it is sexist to say only a woman can give birth.
    The bit about midwives was tongue in cheek but now that you mention it, in 2017 the UN tried to change the term "pregnant woman" to "pregnant person" in case it offended anyone. You couldn't make it up!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Seems to be working.

It's wrong.

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Equality of opportunity is where it's at.
    Let men and women decide what job they want to do and do not discriminate against or FOR them in that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

the problem is people are being hired because of their gender not their ability so the company doing the employing can appear more politically correct, and people better equped for the jobs are losing out because they are the wrong sex

This nonsense ruling was brought in to stop sexism and has actually made the situation worse.

the problem is people are being hired because of their gender not their ability so the company doing the employing can appear more politically correct, and people better equped for the jobs are losing out because they are the wrong sex

This nonsense ruling was brought in to stop sexism and has actually made the situation worse.

A court challenge by a man, discriminated against because of having a Y chromosome is coming.

If you don't have a Y chromosome, you're not male. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Chips are overrated.

Seeing as about 90% of the toys on the ads for Christmas are made of plastic it doesn't seem that people are taking the environment all that seriously. Any parent who whinges about worrying about the effects of climate change on their child's future and who buys these plastic toys deserves a swift boot up the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Chips are overrated.

image.png?w=680

Chips are overrated.

Get out. :mad: I have a bag of chips maybe once a month and it would have to be pried from my cold dead hand.

I would absolutely love a dirty fish and chips doused with vinegar. Haven't had one in nearly a decade.

I remember this happening in Clare County Council earlier this year, it ended up with some random female County Councillor getting the job because she had a vagina, no other reason. The reality is quotas don't work in anyone's interest. Discrimination is discrimination. If the job goes to a woman based on gender and she messes up it just reinforces a stereotype that doesn't really exist anymore. If you have a surgeon operate on you then you want them to be the best, not the one that was hired to fill a quota, the same should apply across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭randd1

Yes, but then do should white people get annoyed at a Native American for wearing a suit, which is a product of western white culture? Or driving a car? Or eating a lasagne? Or watch a TV?

If you were to apply the cultural appropriation problem literally, there would be a lot of non-white people in seriously desperate poverty given that most of what they have available in society and use comes from the white west in origin.

I see no difference in the argument in favour of the cultural appropriation as put forward by some and the aims of groups like the Ku Klux Klan. Ultimately it's about discrimination and racism from the deepest ignorance manifesting itself.

Now, I'm off to eat a sweet and sour chicken, watch crazy anime to the sound of reggae in the background, while wearing a sombrero and a poncho while herself gives me dreadlocks.

Advertisement