Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Snow is absolutely bating down in Swords. It was raining first so no chance of it sticking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Loughc wrote: »
    Snow is absolutely bating down in Swords. It was raining first so no chance of it sticking.

I thought the same but it started sticking after 10 minutes, snow getting ligher now, slight covering which will vanish fairly quickly once the shower passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Just started in leopardstown d18 now, first few flakes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

slight covering already nearly melted, very quick thaw once the showers are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Lovely big flakes of snow been driven around by the very gusty wind right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wonder is there any snow settling up at Knock Airport now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Dinner plate snowflakes at around 2 in Dublin 9, the first snow of the season. I was expecting it to be windy but the wind is very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

NOAA have today's AO value at +6.34, a possible record breaker for February, but would need to be confirmed when they release their final figures next month.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

I wonder is there any snow settling up at Knock Airport now.

Looked devoid of snow up there when I passed by about half an hour ago. There has been some very heavy hail showers in the meantime however rattling through this part of Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Looked devoid of snow up there when I passed by about half an hour ago. There has been some very heavy hail showers in the meantime however rattling through this part of Mayo.

Some quite shocking hail-laden gusts out here very recently. Something loose on my roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭glwaymiko

Hail showers in a very gusty wind, east Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Heavy blustery snow shower in Greystones.

Some sort of precipitation in Dublin 5, hard to tell what it is because of how light it is!

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Some sort of precipitation in Dublin 5, hard to tell what it is because of how light it is!

There's very dark clouds incoming, hopefully a precursor to heavy snow.

Edit: Starting to snow now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Got up looked out window + said grand no snow.

Except now its pelting down + sticking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

No snow or frost in Naas this morning, saw other cars on the train station covered in snow.

Pulling into Connolly Station now and it's snowing lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Light snow Dublin 20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

No snow or Frost in cork city this morning either, woke up to another sleet shower

Edit: just as a post it starts snowing. Tiny little flakes and not sticking at all but better then rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Slight dusting of snow on the cars and grass in Naas. Starting to again now

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is brutal out here just now. A sudden long squall and hailstone storm. I got a brief glimpse of the ocean and never seen it so ….. rough. Could not get round the building for the wind. Hibernating a while! Would love a photo of the ocean like that but too wild to get near enough
    just now.
    There is a smattering of snow atop the far mountains.. All we usually get!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

A biting wind here in Cork with a jet black sky to the east. Will be glad to get into the warmth of the office

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very heavy snow in Naas now. Place is covered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It was snowing at Grand Canal Dock when I got off the train.

Best walk to work this year. Got in soaked but happy. If only I had hot Chocolate to round it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sleetly snow in Waterford, not what I was expecting. Generally overcast with it.

Heavy snow in Dublin 9

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Storm Dennis has been named by UK Met Office for the coming weekend's low.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »

Is it going to be a menace?;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Some heavy snow showers in my area this morning. Sticking in a few shady places but generally melting as soon as the sun comes out again.

sryanbruen wrote: »

Not having a go at you sryanbruen but just have to get this off my chest....................Storm This, Storm That, Storm The Other............its called Winter ....and February and March can be the most bitter of Winter months (I know technically March is Spring).

All these weather warnings cause a lot of people stress and anxiety. It used to be just called Winter and we expected storms, floods, snow and ice. It wasnt a national emergency with colour coded warnings week after week. I know its been said before but surely this is overkill.

I do a lot of hiking in the mountains and last weekend I didnt go out as the forecast for Sunday on the East Coast was horrendous. Lots of my buddies went out and had an absolutely beautiful day, I saw the photos and it was cold but lovely and only the occasional shower. This has happened so often, I change my plans according to these warnings. I'm really beginning to think its better to ignore them and just get on with life as I used to before these personalised Storms and colour coded weather alerts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I did feel Saturday (and Monday to some degree too) was far worse than what Sunday; the arrival of Storm Ciara, brought but then again, I was asleep during the intense rain that passed.

Right now to me, Dennis doesn't look like anything special.

Advertisement