Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

We're producing more and more plastic by the day, apparently the amount is going to double in the coming years too. We're drowning ourselves in the stuff.

Plastic is relatively easily converted into diesel and other grades of fuel. One plant in Ireland could convert the bulk of the plastic waste produced in ireland but the short sighted, quazi religious, CO2 obsessed eco lobby would never allow such a thing, they are perfectly happy for it to be sent to east Asia.Landfills in more practical minded countries will probably be mined in the future to retrieve plastic.

KyussB wrote: »
    Australia and France's efforts are pissing in the wind - they're "to be seen as doing something" effort - not a genuine effort of proportional enough scale, for actually arresting climate change.

We need to have the entire worlds infrastructure transformed by 2030 at the latest, to be carbon neutral. Even that is too late to avoid significant climate change damage/costs. Hell, even today would be too late.

We simply aren't taking the scale of this task seriously, today. We need wartime style government economic policy. If a country is under existential threat, there's no worry about "how to pay for it" at wartime - the countries full resources get mobilized and it gets done - "how to pay" restrictions only get invented when powerful groups are jockying for control/power within peacetime economies.

Thanks for that. comrade commisar. Maybe we should read some of Stalin's five year plans for inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

You have more in common with Marxists than me, mate - you both interpret farcical hidden conspiracies, just you interpret communist ones and Marxists interpret capitalist ones - the lot of you are jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Kimsang wrote: »
    What really would be a game changer for climate change is when someone (possibly the chinese) invent a new battery that can make better use of the clean energy that we can harvest. Then we can really start producing wind farms/solar cells etc.. Also I heard James Dyson bought out a company developing a new solid state battery and has been working on it for a few years now. Quite a considerable amount of cash invested in the project.
    Fusion power would also be a game changer.

The ITER experiment rumbles on, but it seems to be very slow at getting any practical results.
    This all based on the Tokamak reactor invented in the USSR decades ago.

There is also the molten salt type reactor, which is nuclear fission but less prone to a runaway reaction than the older and more infamous type.

The main obstacle to all these is the Green lobby, ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

recedite wrote: »

The ITER experiment rumbles on, but it seems to be very slow at getting any practical results.

There is also the molten salt type reactor, which is nuclear fission but less prone to a runaway reaction than the older and more infamous type.

Yeah. The most dangerous part about the people lobbying for change is giving them a platform to openly oppose the most sensible change option - nuclear power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

recedite wrote: »

And it being always 40 years away! There are a few other options being tested as well.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/machines/streamlined-nuclear-fusion-reactors-stellarators

Even the green lobby will grasp that fusion poses no real risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Plastic is relatively easily converted into diesel and other grades of fuel. One plant in Ireland could convert the bulk of the plastic waste produced in ireland but the short sighted, quazi religious, CO2 obsessed eco lobby would never allow such a thing, they are perfectly happy for it to be sent to east Asia.Landfills in more practical minded countries will probably be mined in the future to retrieve plastic.
    "relatively" being the key word there. Is this being done anywhere? Can't find much info about it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There was a chap on here appearing to make fuel from plastic in his shed.
    Imakebiodiesel I think he called himself

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Why are the Greens against nuclear power?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Limpy wrote: »
    because such a straight forward solution to the energy question would do away with much of their raison d'etre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Think the issue is mainly the Nuclear Waste and dealing with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Because of the extremely complicated waste cycle. Even with molten salt which sounds good to me, there are still these issues. Though not as many if MS was used - MS can’t be used to enrich weapons grade material apparently.

Savannah River site is still home to stockpiles of weapons grade material. They can’t move it. And they place they want to move it all to in Nevada isn’t very much liked by the locals. I asked my Congressman because he’s a huuuge proponent (and recipient) of the nuclear energy sector. Couldn’t pin him down on the issue - he wanted to campaign and argue that the Yucca Mountain complex is foolproof, impervious, perfect, and in so many words he was incredulous that anyone would oppose its operation for storing the nation’s nuclear waste.

“So if the Yucca mountain complex just happened to be, in South Carolina, and not Nevada, then you would be just as vocal and supportive of it?”

Hasn’t gotten back to me yet. Asked a few times, and I get answers to lots of other questions and remarks, but not that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Could they transport waste to outerspace, or send it on its way and detonate it as to not effect the earth?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Could they transport waste to outerspace, or send it on its way and detonate it as to not effect the earth?

We could put all the waste back in the already radioactive uranium mines we took it out of, only more securely. But we havent exhausted the capacities of many mines yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I think in a couple more decades we will have some better way of dealing with the waste.

Here's a short and sweet video on the design issues with fusion reactors, narrated by a meercat.

Tokamak VS Stellarator

I see Macron has convinced the G7 to spend €20M on airplane flights over the Amazon.
    I wonder how Greta feels about that?

xckjoo wrote: »
    "relatively" being the key word there. Is this being done anywhere? Can't find much info about it

Yes it is being done.Cracking and refining plastic to convert it into diesel and other fuel grades is not a complicated process.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There's a long history of anti nuclear in Ireland and it's associated with the bomb in people's minds, so it's not just the greens, if they are even opposed to it, I don't know. We can't even build a metro, or a block of flats over a few stories without the whole place going nuts with NIMBYism, never mind a bloody nuclear station. So that's never going to happen here. Countries like France do well from it so yes it's a good idea for power, but I'm pretty sure the population of Ireland is too small to warrant one? Could be wrong there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Overheal wrote: »
    MS can’t be used to enrich weapons grade material apparently.

I'm open to correction on this, but as an aside, it potentially can - any nuclear reaction can be set up so that it creates more nuclear material than it spends (as is my understanding). But I think the point is moot at this stage, there are more than enough nuclear weapons in Earth to destroy the human race several times over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Wow I can't believe this fraud of a kid is still getting coverage. What an elaborate money making scheme she is for her parents. The yacht she's in travelling the US because she refuses to fly is being transported back using....none other than a frigging airplane!!!

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0826/1070958-greta-thunberg-yacht-trip/
    Her voyage has however sparked controversy after a spokesman for Herrmann, the yacht's co-skipper, told Berlin newspaper TAZ that several people would fly into New York to help take the yacht back to Europe.
    Mr Hermann himself will also return by plane, according to the spokesman.
    Greta has meanwhile said that she doesn't yet know how she will return to Europe when the time comes.

The kid is autistic and needs to be taken care of. She's seriously scared of what's going to happen, going so far as to almost burst into tears when talking about trees.

You can't make this stuff up, yet people continue to fall for the pigtails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Some big waves on the latest update! Wednesday they plan to arrive:

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1166012265860096001

• Advertisement

Wow I can't believe this fraud of a kid is still getting coverage. What an elaborate money making scheme she is for her parents. The yacht she's in travelling the US because she refuses to fly is being transported back using....none other than a frigging airplane!!!

Yep she's getting lots of coverage and people afraid of change and climate change deniers are talking about her so she's doing a great job I think. Go Greta!!

Yep she's getting lots of coverage and people afraid of change and climate change deniers are talking about her so she's doing a great job I think. Go Greta!!

The irony being that she's doing more damage to the planet than I am sitting at home. She's the reason a plane is flying over the atlantic and back..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Cyclical Apocalypse

The irony is that she's doing more damage to the planet than I am sitting at home. She's the reason a plane is flying over the Atlantic and back.

What utter Bull**** I'm pretty sure the crew are flying commercially whether they are on it or not that plane is crossing the Atlantic with them and a few hundred other people onboard. So please if you're going to accuse someone of something at least get your facts straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Yes it is being done.Cracking and refining plastic to convert it into diesel and other fuel grades is not a complicated process.

Ya couldn't throw out a link or two no?

What utter Bull**** I'm pretty sure the crew are flying commercially whether they are on it or not that plane is crossing the Atlantic with them and a few hundred other people onboard. So please if you're going to accuse someone of something at least get your facts straight.

...so why didn't she get the plane over there then considering the plane is flying over there anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Greta is just for optics, the narrative has already been written and the media will by in large stick to the script they've been given for this September.

CJR event on covering climate change
    April 30, 2019
    How does the media cover—or not cover—the biggest story of our time? Last fall, UN climate scientists announced that the world has 12 years to transform energy, agriculture, and other key industries if civilization is to avoid a catastrophe. We believe the news business must also transform.

The Columbia Journalism Review and The Nation assembled some of the world’s top journalists, scientists, and climate experts to devise a new playbook for journalism that’s compatible with the 1.5-degree future that scientists say must be achieved. We also held a town hall meeting on the coverage of climate change and the launch of an unprecedented, coordinated effort to change the media conversation.

source

This is an email sent to media organisations earlier this year.

Our ask of you is simple: commit to a week of focused climate coverage this September. We are organizing news outlets across the US and abroad—online and print, TV and audio, large and small—to run seven days of climate stories from September 16 through the climate summit UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres hosts in New York September 23. The stories you run are up to you, though we can offer ideas and background information and connect outlets looking for content with content providers looking for outlets.

We'd be happy to schedule a phone call to discuss this further. Thanks for considering, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Mark Hertsgaard and Kyle Pope

source

Greta is only along for the ride, her sailing across the ocean is not on the whim of some random millionaires, this is a coordinated media and political campaign intended to undermine resistance to having your pockets picked.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Greta is just for optics, the narrative has already been written and the media will by in large stick to the script they've been given for this September.

CJR event on covering climate change
    April 30, 2019

This is an email sent to media organisations earlier this year.

Greta is only along for the ride, her sailing across the ocean is not on the whim of some random millionaires, this is a coordinated media and political campaign intended to undermine resistance to having your pockets picked.

Thank f*ck at least some people are acting to draw attention to climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I have seen Zero action on climate change, I have seen a lot of virtue signalling cuunnts

Like do people really think this standard of living and consumption can go on? You don't have to be a bloody climate scientist to know that this current model is doomed to catastrophe. Who in the developed world hasn't taken a flight these days? Greta is taking one back, big f*cking deal, the system needs to change and she's still part of the current system. She likely inspire lots of kids to fly less or eat less meat or try not to buy as many things in general when they're older, so fair bloody play to her. Plus I know people with Asperger, it's not like she's bloody rain man, I don't know why people keep focusing on that either.

• Advertisement

shes raising awareness yay lets cheerlead everyone!

if theres one thing makes me hope for the destruction of the planet to come sooner rather than later, it'll be be the notion that the sum total of all the egotistical asses """"""raising awareness""""""" are worth mkre than one one good fart

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement