Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Thank f*ck at least some people are acting to draw attention to climate change.

Climate change just happens to be a vehicle of convenience this is all about maintaining power and wealth. The tax paying public has become weary of the alarmists who have been preaching the same story for decades now and the public are more concerned with income, security and health issues which pertain to their lives.

Telling us we can't drive cars or go somewhere warm for Summer holidays while the people who are wealthier lecture us just do as they please ain't selling anymore with the plebeians. The scheme has been going for so long now they need new recruits so they are indoctrinating the children to be compliant future tax payers.

Anyway pretty soon climate change will be kicked off the roster once the bond market bubble collapse kicks off this will lead to sovereign debt defaults and pensions crisis and that will preoccupy those in power.

Bonds Meet the Four Criteria for Defining a Bubble

The Bond Rally Isn’t a Bubble, Albert Edwards Says. A Global Recession Is Coming..

Talk of bond markets is going off topic and will be the subject of another thread, the point is there are more important subjects for politicians to be concerned about, voters consistently rank climate change at the very bottom of their concerns.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Once you admit you don't really give a flying fcuk about the planet it's very refreshing tbh and all the guilt trips we are being made to take are redundant.

. . . Plus I know people with Asperger, it's not like she's bloody rain man, I don't know why people keep focusing on that either.

The condition also means she is quite capable of flipping 180 degrees on the subject or eventually going into a complete meltdown when she is no longer of use and the facts don't line up with her expectations. The critics here (myself included) have sympathy for Greta because she is being cynically abused for other peoples benefit.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Once you admit you don't really give a flying fcuk about the planet it's very refreshing tbh and all the guilt trips we are being made to take are redundant.

George Carlin put his finger on it
    “We’re so self-important. Everybody’s going to save something now. “Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails.” And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. Save the planet, we don’t even know how to take care of ourselves yet. I’m tired of this ****. I’m tired of f-ing Earth Day. I’m tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is that there aren’t enough bicycle paths. People trying to make the world safe for Volvos. Besides, environmentalists don’t give a **** about the planet. Not in the abstract they don’t. You know what they’re interested in? A clean place to live. Their own habitat. They’re worried that some day in the future they might be personally inconvenienced. Narrow, unenlightened self-interest doesn’t impress me."

Nobody is paying any heed to what Greta says they are nodding to the consensus going about their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Remember the last time everyone lost their **** about global warming, it was exactly the same, but then the recession hit and everyone soon forgot about the climate and it was produce more more more more.

If the government/EU gave a sh1t about climate change they would fine each country and then that money would be available back to each country as grants for projects beneficial to the climate, such as helping people insulation their houses or establishing new forests, big ass solar farm on the board na Mona site

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    . . .
    If the government/EU gave a sh1t about climate change they would fine each country and then that money would be available back to each country as grants for projects beneficial to the climate, such as helping people insulation their houses or establishing new forests, big ass solar farm on the board na Mona site

There are loads of laws emanating from Brussels, But what about democracy . . . especially in a country where the public gave the wrong answer not once but twice and had to do it again and it was not only Irish voters Dutch and French voters rejected constitutional change so they ignored them and called it a treaty.

Why lobby in Brussels and how?

In the past years, Brussels has become home to one of the highest concentrations of political power in the world. European legislation nowadays has strong impact on the laws that are made in every Member State of the EU. That is why Brussels has been experiencing the establishment of thousands of lobbying offices. This is the place to be if you want to influence the European decision-making process, which can at times be a long and tortuous process.

Brussels is currently the second city in number of active lobbyists in the world, after Washington DC. The latest estimates are between 15,000 and 30,000 active lobbyists representing corporate companies, industry, agriculture and many other sectors. To have an effective impact and to let your voice be heard, it is better to work close to the EU institutions and policy makers.

source

You can get any laws you want to pay for from Brussels and it is this that is driving the increases in your carbon taxes for not meeting their "targets". Those interested in history will be remained of the Soviet gosplan. It did not work well for them in the end either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

I have seen Zero action on climate change, I have seen a lot of virtue signalling cuunnts

Remember all that talk of the ozone layer being depleted?

The Montreal Protocol was formed in 1987, and has been described as
    "perhaps the single most successful international agreement to date has been the Montreal Protocol" - Kofi Annan

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I have seen Zero action on climate change, I have seen a lot of virtue signalling cuunnts

What about the vegan who is doing what she can to minimise her carbon footprint?

Or does she not count because she hasn't magically fixed everything.

What about the vegan who is doing what she can to minimise her carbon footprint?

Or does she not count because she hasn't magically fixed everything.

The food miles thing died back pretty quickly once the vegans realised the implications. They switched their tactics to focus to cows farting as a way to reinforce their vegan superiority complex.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Like do people really think this standard of living and consumption can go on? You don't have to be a bloody climate scientist to know that this current model is doomed to catastrophe. Who in the developed world hasn't taken a flight these days? Greta is taking one back, big f*cking deal, the system needs to change and she's still part of the current system. She likely inspire lots of kids to fly less or eat less meat or try not to buy as many things in general when they're older, so fair bloody play to her. Plus I know people with Asperger, it's not like she's bloody rain man, I don't know why people keep focusing on that either.

Doomed to catastrophe. Lol. She's spent the whole trip eating cereal and watching cartoons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Did I read that right - she is flying home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Feisar wrote: »
    As long as she sails back.

Apparently not

Did I read that right - she is flying home?

She is already missing out on the start of secondary school, in Sweden they can attend Gymnasieskola between ages 16–19 ( their equivalent to our Leaving certificate years). They probably want her back at school for the photos on September 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the well meaning people peddling "Imminent Catastrophe!! The End is Nigh" stuff do more damage to their cause than any fringe climate change denier (heretic).

its just a little too similar to the cults who constantly predict the end of the world and get proven wrong over and over.

does human activity impact the environment? 100%. does this then impact on climate to some extent? most likely yes.

but basing you message on panic,hyperbole and crying wolf does your cause no favours. people get tired of it and ultimately ignore it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

It's mad to think people think eating a bit less meat will save the planet.

Do you really think the Indians or Brazilians give a ****e about climate change? They're more worried about putting food on the table and trying to improve their lives. It's all well and dandy for the lads with their "I identify as a vegan" with little worry other than what takeaway they'll order on Friday night to be TALKING about climate change.

And that's all it is, is talk. More flights than ever before in the air yet nothing is said!

I wonder how quickly peoples tune would change if they added a massive tax on products manufactured abroad.

iPhones and Galaxy S10s would cost prohibitively several thousand euro, your TV you spend 400 on will now cost 1k, your building materials go up too.

The life in which we need to prevent climate change is a million miles from the life we currently have. People will not give it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The yacht she's in travelling the US because she refuses to fly is being transported back using....none other than a frigging airplane!!!
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0826/1070958-greta-thunberg-yacht-trip/
    Not the yacht, just the crew ;)

I have a feeling that once Greta reaches dry land she won't want to set foot on a boat ever again.

Do you really think the Indians or Brazilians give a ****e about climate change? They're more worried about putting food on the table and trying to improve their lives. It's all well and dandy for the lads with their "I identify as a vegan" with little worry other than what takeaway they'll order on Friday night to be TALKING about climate change.

And that's all it is, is talk. More flights than ever before in the air yet nothing is said!

I wonder how quickly peoples tune would change if they added a massive tax on products manufactured abroad.

iPhones and Galaxy S10s would cost prohibitively several thousand euro, your TV you spend 400 on will now cost 1k, your building materials go up too.

The life in which we need to prevent climate change is a million miles from the life we currently have. People will not give it up.

Ireland introduced a carbon tax in 2010. Made zero impact.
    Irish solution? Raise the tax.

A country of mongos

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Blueshoe wrote: »

A country of mongos
    we can tax our way to safety!

we can tax our way to safety!

Even better we can ignore the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation and control the temperature by paying more tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The life in which we need to prevent climate change is a million miles from the life we currently have. People will not give it u.

Do you just wanna keep going as is which cant end well or would you be willing to make changes instead of just rubbishing any suggestions? Of course eating less meat worldwide would help but as you know it will take a lot more doing than just that. The thing is politics and votes etc are not compatible with what needs to be done so i wouldn't worry about having to change your ways any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

recedite wrote: »
    Not the yacht, just the crew ;) I have a feeling that once Greta reaches dry land she won't want to set foot on a boat ever again.

Ah not too worry lads- they are going to buy their way to righteousnes.

Regarding the flying of the sailors backwards and forwards across the Atlantic to facilitate gretas 'carbon free' trip to the new world
    Team Malizia's manager insisted however that the young activist's journey would be climate neutral, as the (crews) flights would "be offset."

This does beg the question - why did greta and her father not just fly to New York and offset their own flights?

I suppose we wouldn't have the current dog and pony show if they had ....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A country of mongos
    What are you? 10? Idiotic epithets do not add to any argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Do you just wanna keep going as is which cant end well or would you be willing to make changes instead of just rubbishing any suggestions? Of course eating less meat worldwide would help but as you know it will take a lot more doing than just that. The thing is politics and votes etc are not compatible with what needs to be done so i wouldn't worry about having to change your ways any time soon.

Of all the solutions touted so far as being realistic I would actually prefer to just continue on as is. I am on this planet for 70/80 years at most. Should I offer to lower my living standards, increase hardship and stress just to slow down something that's inevitable?

How about you aim to halve the population? Wouldn't that be the best thing?

People have babies despite knowing the infinite impact that will have on the environment yet it's meat eaters and farmers that are demonised.

I don't see anyone protesting against the opening of a new terminal in Dublin airport..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Right well most people feel how you do so theres no need to worry you wont have to change anything unless resources start to run out or war breaks out in your lifetime.
    I didnt know we were getting a new terminal.
    Governments dont want people to have less kids either because it doesnt fit in with economic growth.
    Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

the well meaning people peddling "Imminent Catastrophe!! The End is Nigh" stuff do more damage to their cause than any fringe climate change denier (heretic).

its just a little too similar to the cults who constantly predict the end of the world and get proven wrong over and over.

does human activity impact the environment? 100%. does this then impact on climate to some extent? most likely yes.

but basing you message on panic,hyperbole and crying wolf does your cause no favours. people get tired of it and ultimately ignore it.
    The reason why the predictions about climate are getting more and more apocalyptic is because more and more people around the world are finding well paid employment in the 'climate industry'. Every claim about the 'climate crisis' has to be more dramatic and headline-grabbing than the last.
    We are regaled day and daily with 'new research' and new predictions from 'climate scientists'.
    Climate change is now a huge vested interest in its own right. As well as Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Tobacco etc, we now have to talk about Big Climate Change.
    When such vested interests are involved, all pronouncements and predictions on climate have to be regarded with caution. We cannot expect people who depend on this 'industry' for their livelihood and future prospects to be objective in their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The reason why the predictions about climate are getting more and more apocalyptic is because more and more people around the world are finding well paid employment in the 'climate industry'. Every claim about the 'climate crisis' has to be more dramatic and headline-grabbing than the last.
    We are regaled day and daily with 'new research' and new predictions from 'climate scientists'.
    Climate change is now a huge vested interest in its own right. As well as Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Tobacco etc, we now have to talk about Big Climate Change.
    When such vested interests are involved, all pronouncements and predictions on climate have to be regarded with caution. We cannot expect people who depend on this 'industry' for their livelihood and future prospects to be objective in their views.

Not only that but increasingly much of the extreme alarmist 'science' being used to propel this current wave of hysteria have been shown to be seriously flawed.

For example the hockey stick graph showing exponential rise in global temperatures - not backed up.
    Michael Mann, a climatologist at Penn State University, the creator of the “hockey stick graph” which appears to show global temperatures climbing upwards as a result of the burning fossil fuels and dumping CO2 into the atmosphere. The graph was first published in 1998, prominently featured in the 2001 UN Climate Report, and formed part of Al Gore’s 2006 movie, An Inconvenient Truth.

More here.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2019/08/michael-mann-refuses-to-produce-data-loses-case.php?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=sw&utm_campaign=sw

Also the UN were left with eggs on their collective faces when it was found and later admitted significant flaws in report on meat and climate change. In this report they claimed that animal agriculture emissions were greater than that of transport - this was challenged by others and found to be solely based on flawed data calculations.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/climatechange/7509978/UN-admits-flaw-in-report-on-meat-and-climate-change.html

And no that is not denying global warming btw. What it does show is that the screamers and alarmists are steering the ship straight into the lighthouse all the while shouting we're doomed doomed!

Prophets of doom and gloom and fear and more importantly tax and the selling us whatever crap is deemed 'environmental friendly' whether it is or otherwise...

Like the Irish times article seriously suggesting that Ireland should ditch extensive farming and the production of whole foods and replace them with highly processed fake food crap courtesy of big business. You couldnt make this crap up. Oh sorry someone already has ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/the-irish-times-view-on-the-the-future-of-food-a-scientific-revolution-1.3996737?mode=amp

And last but not least - the poster child for the movement sailing across the Atlantic to attend the latest UN shindig. But rather than simply flying and offsetting as necessary - the voice of greta is enabled to make grandiose sentiments such as "I will be there, even if the journey will be long and challenging."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Yes, but the ocean currents are themselves influenced by melting ice in the arctic. So, global warming for some, but little change, or even some cooling, for us.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/feb/24/drastic-cooling-north-atlantic-beyond-worst-fears-scientists-warn

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

gozunda wrote: »
    Not only that but increasingly much of the extreme alarmist 'science's being used to propel this current wave of hysteria have been shown to be seriously flawed.

Agree. I'm no climate change denier, but there is far too much in the way of dramatic journalism and agenda driven reporting. I usually try to examine the raw data that is inevitably twisted into a story. The Amazon wildfire story for example is completely overblown if you examine the actual figures. Current wildfire rates are far below the peaks that were seen back in 2004-2008:

https://fires.globalforestwatch.org/report/index.html#aoitype=GLOBAL&reporttype=globalcountryreport&country=Brazil&dates=fYear-2019!fMonth-8!fDay-15!tYear-2019!tMonth-8!tDay-22

is_that_so wrote: »
    What are you? 10? Idiotic epithets do not add to any argument.

More tax. Pay now.

Jog on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

More tax. Pay now.

Jog on
    Past you child, very happily.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement