Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Centurion1001

Greta Thunberg going off on her expedition is no different than Harry and Meghan lecturing us about the environment and then jetting off on their private plane. It's out of touch sheltered people lecturing and wagging the finger at ordinary folk living their lives.

The only suggestions for introducing a green economy on this thread can be summarized as 'Tax tax tax. ' Tax flights tax cars tax everything. It's just beating ordinary people further into the dirt. Are we expected to basically commit hirikiri on our standard of living on the say so of a child? I find the deifcation of Miss Thunberg by some people here a bit disturbed to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

joe40 wrote: »
    Thats a ****ing ignorant comment, I know plastic waste is a disaster and recycling largely ineffective but why mention shoving it down someones throat.

This whole thread has become a cesspit. Everyone just trying to outdo each other with condescension and sarcasm.

The implication of the post was that forcing plastic down her throat would be pointless.

Essentially they are advocating against shoving plastic down Gretas throat, which I'm sure would have a majority consensus of agreement among climate scientists and the broader public, and doesn't require extra tax.

It's the type solution we need if we're to have any chance of taking on Global Warming and plastic pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Lol get over it. If you can't stand heated discussions then I suggest just watching an episode of the Teletubbies. It might be easier on you

Thats exactly the type of answer I expected. As the old saying goes "what would you expect from a donkey but a kick"

I don't mind heated discussion and I accept there is plenty to criticize about the Greta trip.
    I also accept that simply taxing people won't solve anything, and no doubt there are people looking to monetize all aspects of this.

However I also accept that the world is facing a climate crisis, there are too many scientist saying this for it to be a hoax.
    There will be no overall answer, maybe it is to late to change anything but the status quo of freely burning fossil fuels will have to change at some stage

I'm 49 so will probably be largely unaffected but future generations will.

Tax alone won't help since rich people won't be affected, but changes are needed.

You can have the opinion that its all a hoax, fair enough, I'll leave you to it, but if you accept changes need to be made I would love to hear ideas, not just why everything won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thats exactly the type of answer I expected. As the old saying goes "what would you expect from a donkey but a kick"I don't mind heated discussion and I accept there is plenty to criticize about the Greta trip.I also accept that simply taxing people won't solve anything, and no doubt there are people looking to monetize all aspects of this.
    However I also accept that the world is facing a climate crisis, there are too many scientist saying this for it to be a hoax.There will be no overall answer, maybe it is to late to change anything but the status quo of freely burning fossil fuels will have to change at some stage
    I'm 49 so will probably be largely unaffected but future generations will.Tax alone won't help since rich people won't be affected, but changes are needed.You can have the opinion that its all a hoax, fair enough, I'll leave you to it, but if you accept changes need to be made I would love to hear ideas, not just why everything won't work.

I cant see where the poster said anything was a hoax? But what had any of that to do with greta and her crusade to the new world in a multimillion euro boat skippered by a member of Monaco's ruling family? Its little better than a childish stunt facilitated by adults who should know better.

As to changes and solutions. Even the same scientists have said they are unsure of the answers. The doomsday panic sellers certainly are not helping eitherway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

gozunda wrote: »
    I cant see where the poster said anything was a hoax? But what had any of that has anything to do with greta and her crusade to the new world in a multimillion euro boat skippered by a member of Monaco's ruling family? Its little better than a childish stunt facilitated by adults who should know better.

Ahh I get it ... You would have felt better if she went out on a boat made of oil drums tied together ... I think she is safer on that boat then on any Irish farm

• Advertisement

weisses wrote: »
    Ahh I get it ... You would have felt better if she went out on a boat made of oil drums tied together ... I think she is safer on that boat then on any Irish farm

What do Irish farms have to do with what we're discussing here? There's more tangents on this thread than in a geometry class.

I cant see where the poster said anything was a hoax? But what had any of that to do with greta and her crusade to the new world in a multimillion euro boat skippered by a member of Monaco's ruling family? Its little better than a childish stunt facilitated by adults who should know better.

As to changes and solutions. Even the same scientists have said they are unsure of the answers. The doomsday panic sellers certainly are not helping eitherway.

Thanks for understanding what I'm saying. We need to approach the climate situation with a bit more nuance than taxing people into Oblivion. Improve public transportation in rural areas, stop pussyfooting around nuclear power and incentivise people in urban areas to buy electric cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Tax alone won't help since rich people won't be affected, but changes are needed.

Rich people can afford all the plastic bags they want but the plastic bag tax still drastically reduced the number of plastic bags in circulation.

Rather than begrudging people we need to be doing whatever we can to slow down the climate catastrophe, for everyone's sake.

Also none of these charges make sense against someone like Greta who is vegan, cycles or takes trains everywhere, and never left Europe until she could find a carbon neutral way to do it (a way that's not open to most people, sure, but it's not like she's going on holiday, she's going to conferences and campaigning to save the planet)

weisses - what's with the endless sniping?
    But no I would suggest it would be better and safer definitely if she was in school getting a decent education. You apparently only have one thing on your mind and just endlessly banging the tin pot plant advocacy drum taking cheap potshots at posters. Sorry cant help you with that.

Your last three comments directed at me
    Yes and for good reason ...... You know that as a farmer ( or at least you should know)
    You cannot deal with the facts in regards to sustainability coz it might involve a big change in your own profession .... change is scary, specially if you get schooled by a 16 year old

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

quokula wrote: »
    Rich people can afford all the plastic bags they want but the plastic bag tax still drastically reduced the number of plastic bags in circulation.

Rather than begrudging people we need to be doing whatever we can to slow down the climate catastrophe, for everyone's sake.

Also none of these charges make sense against someone like Greta who is vegan, cycles or takes trains everywhere, and never left Europe until she could find a carbon neutral way to do it (a way that's not open to most people, sure, but it's not like she's going on holiday, she's going to conferences and campaigning to save the planet)

LOL

Give her a cape.

She is just a mouthpiece on behalf of others

• Advertisement

weisses - what's with the endless sniping?
    But no I would suggest it would be better if she was in school getting a decent education. You apparently only have one thing on your mind and just endlessly banging the tin pot plant advocacy drum taking cheap potshots at posters. Sorry cant help you with that.

Silly me ..Thinking they have school Holidays.

Can you point out to me why you believe she is not getting a decent education ?

I am taking potshots at your posts ...

What do Irish farms have to do with what we're discussing here? There's more tangents on this thread than in a geometry class.

Some people like to spout the idea that she is not safe I just made the point to a poster who is very familiar with farming that farms are also not particularity safe places for kids

Silly me ..Thinking they have school Holidays.Can you point out to me why you believe she is not getting a decent education ?I am taking potshots at your posts ...

She has taken a year out of school for that very reason. She also skips school to go on her strikes plus taking time out to go to every climate related event she can get her hands on. And no its not healthy for a child that age. But I don't appropriate blame to the child. There should be responsible adults with a bit more cop on than is being demonstrated.

As for taking 'potshots' - this is a discussion not a wisecrack thread in AH. And yes weisses you have a tendency to turn up and take cheap potshots - see for example your 3 previous comments above. Even the previous poster pointed that out. Wtf would suggest oil drums or the bs about her not being safe on an Irish farm? I have no problem discussing any issue with you but drop the bs comments if you wish to do so.

Are we expected to basically commit hirikiri on our standard of living on the say so of a child?

Yes ...we need to get our head out of our arses and do something ... You just look embarrassed at the fact a 15 year old has a bit of cop on

Yes ...we need to get our head out of our arses and do something ... You just look embarrassed at the fact a 15 year old has a bit of cop on

If you'd read my post above you'd see I've admitted to as much myself. But go ahead and snark and show us all how clever you are.

She has taken a year out if school for that very reason. She also skips school to go on her strikes plus taking time out to go to every climate related event she can get her hands on. And no its not healthy for a child that age. But I don't appropriate blame to the child. There should be responsible adults with a bit more cop on than is being demonstrated.

So what is it ... Did she take a year of or is she skipping school for strikes ?
    This is the best education a child can get. A child with a vision that strong at that age should be supported all the way, I think her feature lies in environmental studies. And what she is doing now no school could give her that education
    But yes weisses you have a tendency to turn up and take cheap potshots - see for example your comment above. Even the previous poster pointed that out. Wtf would suggest oil drums or the bs about her not being safe on an Irish farm? I have no problem discussing any issue with you but drop the bs comments if you wish to do so.

I responded to your silly descending point stating
    multimillion euro boat skippered by a member of Monaco's ruling family?

If I ever saw a cheap potshot It is the one above

Same goes for the "safety concern" comment ... There is danger everywhere ... Somehow using the sailing as a stick to beat that girl doesn't fly

Some people like to spout the idea that she is not safe I just made the point to a poster who is very familiar with farming that farms are also not particularity safe places for kids

Cut it weisses. There was no mention in that comment whstsoever about her safety. It's like you can't engage in discussion but have to resort to throwing ****e like that. Ok we know you're a vegan. I am happy for you. Just drop the campaign ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

If you'd read my post above you'd see I've admitted to as much myself. But go ahead and snark and show us all how clever you are.

Your prior suggestions mostly amounted to "the rich" should make sacrifices (I assume you define rich as richer than you, since on a global scale anyone posting on boards.ie is pretty rich)

Or practical stuff like better public transport, which is absolutely needed, but you rail against the taxes that could pay for that.

It sounds like you want to make no sacrifices, pay no less tax, but have the government and other people magic up solutions for it.

The reality is that we all need to make sacrifices and as much as there will always be people who have a bigger carbon footprint than you or I (and Greta is definitely not one of them), there are billions with a lower carbon footprint so that's no excuse.

So what is it ... Did she take a year of or is she skipping school for strikes ?This is the best education a child can get. A child with a vision that strong at that age should be supported all the way, I think her feature lies in environmental studies. And what she is doing now no school could give her that education

Both. And I strongly disagree. Read the thread for the many reasons it is not a good idea.
    I responded to your silly descending point stating If I ever saw a cheap potshot It is the one above

It was neither 'descending' (sic) nor even condescending. Unlike your cheap and frankly nasty potshot - That comment regarding the boat relates to the topic of the thread. It is a fact- it is a multimillion Euro boat skippered by a member of the royal family of Monaco. Go read up on this if you doubt any of this. Is it relevant to my comment? Yes it is.
    Same goes for the "safety concern" comment ... There is danger everywhere ... Somehow using the sailing as a stick to beat that girl doesn't fly

I didn't mention safety in that comment. You came up with that rubbish to have a go. Sorry it didnt work out for you.

Teletubbies for you then ?

• Advertisement

Cut the bs weisses. There was no mention in that comment whstsoever about her safety. It's like you can't engage in discussion but have to resort to throwing ****e like that. Ok we know you're a vegan. I am happy for you. Just drop the campaign ok

Earlier in the thread you talked about safety concerns yes ?

Both and I strongly disagree. Read the thread for the many reasons it is not a good idea.

I know what you said ...developing brain ...yada yada ...She learned more in this year then any school could teach her ... I know its a nice stick to beat with ... but ridiculous all the same

Unlike your cheap and frankly nasty potshot - That comment regarding the boat relates to the topic of the thread. It is a fact- it is a multimillion Euro boat skippered by a member of the royal family of Monaco. Go read up on this of you doubt any of this.

Yes ... and you did not meant it in a condescending to to her ?? ........ really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

We should stop producing beef in Ireland. It may be an important part of our small economy but it would be better if we got it transported from the rain forest chopping Brazilians.

We can build data centres in our country side instead.

Viva big tech

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Blueshoe wrote: »
    We should stop producing beef in Ireland. It may be an important part of our small economy but it would be better if we got it transported from the rain forest chopping Brazilians.

We can build data centres in our country side instead.

Viva big tech

Good idea and get the farmers to build these data centres so everyone is happy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Good idea and get the farmers to build these data centres so everyone is happy

I like your style.
    All hail Zuckerberg

I know what you said ...developing brain ...yada yada ...She learned more in this year then any school could teach her ... I know its a nice stick to beat with ... but ridiculous all the same
    Yes ... and you did not meant it in a condescending to to her ?? ........ really

Look if you cannot engage in a normal discussion then let me know and I'll add you to those that won't

The facts about the cost of the boat and who owns and who skippered it has been widely reported. Sorry if you do not like that.

quokula wrote: »
    Your prior suggestions mostly amounted to "the rich" should make sacrifices (I assume you define rich as richer than you, since on a global scale anyone posting on boards.ie is pretty rich)

Or practical stuff like better public transport, which is absolutely needed, but you rail against the taxes that could pay for that.

It sounds like you want to make no sacrifices, pay no less tax, but have the government and other people magic up solutions for it.

The reality is that we all need to make sacrifices and as much as there will always be people who have a bigger carbon footprint than you or I (and Greta is definitely not one of them), there are billions with a lower carbon footprint so that's no excuse.

What's being done with the existing carbon tax? It's being spent exporting recycled plastic to Vietnam. Sorry but our governments track record with money doesn't make me want to throw more down the pit.

Teletubbies for you then ?

I'd suggest you turn on the TV and watch it but that'd mean committing the sin of using electricity. Also the commune likely doesn't have one.

I know what you said ...developing brain ...yada yada ...She learned more in this year then any school could teach her ..

well now, thats clearly not true!!
    an overall education is better than just focusing on one thing & one thing only!
    or maybe you think we should do away with school & start all kids off working at something they are interested in as young teenagers?

• Advertisement

What's being done with the existing carbon tax? It's being spent exporting recycled plastic to Vietnam. Sorry but our governments track record with money doesn't make me want to throw more down the pit.

And dont forget about the biomas being shipped from Australia to Foynes for electricity generation in the Midlands instead of turf. Or the the millions of gallons of fossil fuel it involves getting it there...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement