Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Surely Greta has given them a right oul volley of abuse for this, considering she doesn't allow her parents to fly
    It sure will be interesting to see how St Greta and her auld man get back to Sweden.doubt they are going to paddle across to Russia from Alaska to catch a train in Siberia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Surely Greta has given them a right oul volley of abuse for this, considering she doesn't allow her parents to fly

I'm sure she has - as she has said on BBC Radio 4 earlier this year

(I)"see things from outside the box. I don't easily fall for lies, I can see through things,"

She must be fairly pissed off (bad pun I know) about the toilet arrangements as well - she has related how as a child - videos of the plastic and waste thrown into the oceans made her despair as to what humans were doing to the planet...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

It sure will be interesting to see how St Greta and her auld man get back to Sweden.doubt they are going to paddle across to Russia from Alaska to catch a train in Siberia.

LOL
    gozunda wrote: »
    I'm sure she has - as she has said on BBC Radio 4 earlier this year

(I)"see things from outside the box. I don't easily fall for lies, I can see through things,"

She must be fairly pissed off (bad pun I know) about the toilet arrangements as well - she has related how as a child - videos of the plastic and waste thrown into the oceans made her despair as to what humans were doing to the planet...

As Jimmy says above i am looking forward to see how she gets to her final destination............

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ollkiller

The amount of abuse directed at this person is something to behold. Instead of us congratulating a young person actually trying to make a difference it's just a character assassination. People are weird.

ollkiller wrote: »
    The amount of abuse directed at this person is something to behold. Instead of us congratulating a young person actually trying to make a difference it's just a character assassination. People are weird.

Not this crap again. Read through the thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

It has been confirmed that the aristocrat and the german skipper are to be flown home from New York after the stunt. Two new crew are to be flown to New York to sail the yacht back to Europe. I wonder how Greta will get back to Sweden, will Elton John send a private jet?

She could fly home in a hot air balloon. She's certainly generated more than enough hot air to fuel the flight.

In what way is going on a trans-Atlantic junket "trying to make a difference"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Just pointing out the glaring hypocrisy of this climate pilgrimage, that's all. econinnys getting offended on behalf of their climate guru would want to get a thicker skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

Just pointing out the glaring hypocrisy of this climate pilgrimage, that's all. econinnys getting offended on behalf of their climate guru would want to get a thicker skin.

Imagine the screams if the right starting using children for anti mass immigration propaganda. There's a high chance child services would be called on the parents, and there'd be widespread condemnation from all throughout the media. It's absolutely fine though once it's pushing their own agenda.

Interesting piece......Don't click if you Heart Greta

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/04/22/the-cult-of-greta-thunberg/

• Advertisement

And also this which if you read some of the qoutes, dooms day prophesisers don't have a patch on her.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

The EU should draw up a plan based on her demands.
    You wouldn't have to wait that long for her supporters to disappear then.

The EU should draw up a plan based on her demands.

Careful what you wish for! I wouldn't be surprised if the EU Greens aren't already hard at work. (The fact that Norway isn't in the EU won't even dawn on them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

People are fcuking ignorant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Greta Thunberg and the plot to forge a climate warrior (paywall)
    The Greta phenomenon has also involved green lobbyists, PR hustlers, eco-academics and a think tank founded by a wealthy former minister in Sweden's Social Democratic government with links to the country's energy companies. These companies are preparing for the biggest bonanza of government contracts in history: the greening of the western economies. Greta, whether she and her parents know it or not, is the face of their political strategy

source

You might want to check who Ingmar Rentzhog is and his background.
    Trained by former US vice-president Al Gore's environmental group, the Climate Reality Project, Rentzhog set up We Don't Have Time in late 2017 to "hold leaders and companies accountable for climate change" by leveraging "the power of social media".

He and his chief operating officer, David Olsson, have backgrounds in finance, not environmental activism: Rentzhog as the founder of Laika Consulting, an investment relations company, and Olsson with Svenska Bostadsfonden, one of Sweden's biggest property funds, whose board Rentzhog joined in June 2017. The platform's investors included Gustav Stenbeck, whose family control Kinnevik, one of Sweden's largest investment corporations.

In May last year, Rentzhog became the chairman and Olsson a board member of a think tank called Global Utmaning (Global Challenge). Its founder, Kristina Persson, is an heir to an industrial fortune.

source

and the Times conclusion is
    For energy titans in Sweden, as elsewhere, saving the planet means government contracts to print the green stuff. Green energy lobbyists are using populist scare tactics and a children's crusade to bypass elected representatives. But the destination is technocracy, not democracy; profit, not redistribution. Greta, a child of woke capitalism, is being used to ease the transition to green corporatism.

source

Young adults like Greta don't rise to fame on their own with copious amounts of media coverage, at least not without big corporate money or powerful special interests there first and most, the most important lesson following Gretas example is we can all manage sustainable travel provided we can borrow a rich mans toy at no cost and acknowledge our eco sins by paying taxes to woke financiers.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Aegir wrote: »
    There’s no toilet on the boat.

How is crapping in the sea good for the environment?

Quick, someone tell the blue whales to stop pooping

Quick, someone tell the blue whales to stop pooping

They should poop every other day to protect the environment. :D

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Not this crap again. Read through the thread

I have. My point still stands.

Oh the hypocrisy is there alright. I ain't offended either. Just pointing out that the level of vitriol that has been leveled personally at her (not this thread per se but on a lot of online content) is pretty astounding. But that's the way the modern world is now i suppose.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Are you an expert on Asperger's now?

And this is the type of nonsense gozunda thinks is a valid position.
    On what real world basis can that be considered a valid statement?
    Gees, if only we could decide who could make decisions on our tax regime....
    Please.

Proper referenced information would be a novelty. I doubt you'd recognize it after your effort earlier.

Mod: Drop the smartarsery. If you can't, then don't post again.

• Advertisement

Oh the hypocrisy is there alright. I ain't offended either. Just pointing out that the level of vitriol that has been leveled personally at her (not this thread per se but on a lot of online content) is pretty astounding. But that's the way the modern world is now i suppose.

one person's "trying to make a difference" is another person's "who asked you to lecture me?"

but each is a person choosing to put themselves into the limelight. history is full of them, and a low percentage have ever been driven by a low ego

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I’m sure many will disagree but the zero carbon sail to the US while the sailors are flying home and replacement sailors flying out to sail the boat home is hypocrisy. Far from making a statement and alerting people to the need for climate action it has alerted people to yet another empty, hollow, pointless virtue signal from those who seek to lecture us for our own good.
    The Elton John intervention to buy carbon credits on the royals behalf is more of this nonsense.
    The zero carbon sail to the UN meeting has at least served one important purpose. It confirms the suspicion that the new Green Emperor has no clothes.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Interesting piece......

Yikes. :)

I see a bit of nice weather in the last update:

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1163507642100310016?s=20

Seem to be still a bit off half way:
    https://www.windy.com/track-team-malizia-and-greta-on-their-journey-across-the-atlantic

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I’m sure many will disagree but the zero carbon sail to the US while the sailors are flying home and replacement sailors flying out to sail the boat home is hypocrisy. Far from making a statement and alerting people to the need for climate action it has alerted people to yet another empty, hollow, pointless virtue signal from those who seek to lecture us for our own good. . . .

Was it Napoleon said "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake". The Green blob is beginning to wake up to the damage Greta and extinction rebellion are doing to them in the eyes of the public.
    The airplane and the automobile have democratized travel, and Thunberg wants to take that away from us. Troublingly, Thunberg is not a lone crusader. As she addressed the British parliament in April, the streets of London were thronged with ‘Extinction Rebellion’ climate protesters. Holding placards demanding an end to fossil fuels, meat eating and, seemingly, modernity itself, these activists visibly and forcefully demanded the government strong-arm them into being green. “Please tread on me,” they may as well have cried.
    <snip>
    Thunberg, her elite backers, and their court scribes – if they’re to be taken at their word – want you alone, immobile and, literally, eating insects in the name of environmentalism.

source

Greta is a product of decades of indoctrination she and others have received, she is innocent in this, however it is her face her backers are using for their personal financial gain. The public are not wearing it much more and when your child comes home and tells you you are sinning by using the car cause it's bad for you and you have to pay the tax bill you ain't going to be saying "that you Greta". The older generation smokers will probably laugh because they had much the same experience, yet by their teens the same youngsters who lectured them where also smoking.

If peoples mobility is limited in the name of environmentalism then they are going to take it out on someone and Greta is being presented as the face of their oppression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Was it Napoleon said "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake". .....

Are you worried we might use less oil and live cleaner energy efficient lives? Do you think it's all about taxing us and only billionaires and oil tycoons are out to protect us? Also, seriously?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

hetuzozaho wrote: »

Who are these other crusty types in the photo anyway?

Are you worried we might use less oil and live cleaner energy efficient lives? Do you think it's all about taxing us and only billionaires and oil tycoons are out to protect us? Also, seriously?

The green economy is an illusion. All that's happening is the smoke stack is being moved elsewhere.

Recycling plastic - We export the stuff to South East Asia, no idea what happens to it there.

unreliable electrical generation sources - less efficient, more expensive, more waste, greater land footprint needed, more materials needed than a conventional plant, and the more you add the less stable the grid becomes. Ireland depends on natural gas and the UK interconnect for stability. Less diversity of fuel sources and greater dependence on the electrical grid for heating (with yet more expensive electrical power). Smart meters will mean changes to pricing with working families bearing the bulk of the cost.

Electric cars - widespread use requires 3 phase power installed, not feasible where you use on street car parking. ESB collect more subsidies to expand the grid and their unions can hold the country to ransom.
    Pollution is produced elsewhere instead of the tail pipe.
    Electric cars are much more expensive to make and a new hazard (fire) when there is a road accident.

Road pricing will have to change as not revenue from petrol and diesel collapses, GPS will be mandatory on all vehicles. Hello big brother with easier to collect speeding fines and points on your licence.

Oil billionaires will be fine, you still need oil for your clothes, medicine and other synthetic material, and it will be cheaper to use in South East Asia and Africa. Did you think the billionaires are putting money into all these green foundations because they care about your environment or because they realise there is more to be made in lobbying for all these new green contracts that governments are handing out?

The green economy is an illusion. All that's happening is the smoke stack is being moved elsewhere.

Recycling plastic - We export the stuff to South East Asia, no idea what happens to it there.

Guardian article last Saturday, read it and weep. You'd be better off shoving your used plastic down Greta's throat.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/17/plastic-recycling-myth-what-really-happens-your-rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Portsalon wrote: »
    Guardian article last Saturday, read it and weep. You'd be better off shoving your used plastic down Greta's throat.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/17/plastic-recycling-myth-what-really-happens-your-rubbish

Thats a ****ing ignorant comment, I know plastic waste is a disaster and recycling largely ineffective but why mention shoving it down someones throat.

This whole thread has become a cesspit. Everyone just trying to outdo each other with condescension and sarcasm.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Centurion1001

joe40 wrote: »
    Thats a ****ing ignorant comment, I know plastic waste is a disaster and recycling largely ineffective but why mention shoving it down someones throat.

This whole thread has become a cesspit. Everyone just trying to outdo each other with condescension and sarcasm.

Lol get over it. If you can't stand heated discussions then I suggest just watching an episode of the Teletubbies. It might be easier on you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement