Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I work for one of the largest plastics companies in Europe based here in Ireland. We recycle over 5,000 tonne of plastic pa. ABS, HIPS, ACRYLIC as part of our business. A few people talking through their hoops on this thread tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I work for one the largest plastics companies in Europe based here in Ireland. We recycle over 5,000 tonne of plastic pa. ABS, HIPS, ACRYLIC as part of our business. A few people talking through their hoops on this thread tbh.

Nail on head there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Whatever you think. For a start you’d have less plastics washed up on beaches etc. Nothing is fool proof but it helps.
    The plastic is washing up on beaches, becase we sent it to countries that have poor regulations and don't dispose of it properly - with some of it being dumped in the water, and ending up washing up on beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I do love all these climate activists so worried about the planet but probably don’t spare a thought for the homeless guy down the road, or even their next door neighbour.

Mad how you would just assume that based on absolutely nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

50 Tips for a Sustainable Christmas - cover of today’s Irish Times Magazine.

Tip no.51 Stop buying newspapers!

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

Mad how you would just assume that based on absolutely nothing

It’s actually the truth, and it’s not based on nothing , people in Ireland rarely give a **** about anyone else but they still worry about future generations. Crying and sobbing like morons “ Save the planet”.

KyussB wrote: »
    The plastic is washing up on beaches, becase we sent it to countries that have poor regulations and don't dispose of it properly - with some of it being dumped in the water, and ending up washing up on beaches.

That’s got nothing to do with recycling. If it was recycled it wouldn’t be washed up on beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

no its not, its washing up on our beaches because irish people were too lazy to dispose of it properly, throw it in a ditch eventually it will wash out to sea. people are just brainless.

but at least all this talk may make people think twice before throwing that plastic bottle out of the window when they are driving.

no its not, its washing up on our beaches because irish people were too lazy to dispose of it properly, throw it in a ditch eventually it will wash out to sea. people are just brainless

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gozunda wrote: »
    Lol. Dont know about you but the couple of posters who mentioned ice cubes were taking the proverbial imo with just a tiny bit of tongue in cheek humor no?

Like this one?
    Oh, I'm sorry for using a posters argument as an example after they used it as an example.

How about this one?
    Aren’t a lot of these plastics now recyclable?

You'd want to be living on another planet to misunderstand plastics recycling at this point.

• Advertisement

Oh, I'm sorry for using a posters argument as an example after they used it as an example.

How about this one?

You'd want to be living on another planet to misunderstand plastics recycling at this point.

What’s your problem? For your info recycling makes a huge difference to waste, if you can’t understand that or understand what humour is maybe you’re on the wrong thread.

What’s your problem? For your info recycling makes a huge difference to waste, if you can’t understand that or understand what humour is maybe you’re on the wrong thread.

Recycling is an option for a lot of materials but it is only 4th on the order of preference for Waste Hierarchy which is
    • Remove
    • Reduce
    • Reuse
    • Recycle
    • Energy Recovery
    • Landfill

Soft plastics, which make up a significant portion of all plastics cannot be recycled effectively and even for plastics that can be recycled the cost in sorting, machining, re-purposing them has to be figured in to account also so not using them at all would be much more preferable.

Recycling is an option for a lot of materials but it is only 4th on the order of preference for Waste Hierarchy which is
    • Remove
    • Reduce
    • Reuse
    • Recycle
    • Energy Recovery
    • Landfill

Soft plastics, which make up a significant portion of all plastics cannot be recycled effectively and even for plastics that can be recycled the cost in sorting, machining, re-purposing them has to be figured in to account also so not using them at all would be much more preferable.

I never said recycling was fool proof, but there is a lot washed up on beaches that can be recycled, all helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I never said recycling was fool proof, but there is a lot washed up on beaches that can be recycled, all helps.

Interesting article here on plastic in the oceans and its origins
    Up to 14 million tons of plastic enters the ocean every year, about the weight of 2 million elephants. An estimated 40% of that falls into the "single-use" category, which means it winds up in the ocean within the same year it was produced.

https://www.businessinsider.com/plastic-pollution-ocean-comes-from-ships-trash-2019-10

If it was practical to do so, that waste would have never gotten as far as the sea/beach.

It is incredibly wasteful. Plastic containers for food which is eaten in 3-4 minutes while the plastic ends up in the ocean, plastic drinks bottles which are consumed even faster or plastic water fountain cups which are literally used for 3-4 seconds before being discarded are terribly terribly wasteful.

Watch in restaurants where people get straws, don't use them even, and then discard them in to the refuse bin. All that has to stop. This in itself won't be enough but absolutely everything we eat, use, do, should be considered to see if there is a better alternative.

no its not, its washing up on our beaches because irish people were too lazy to dispose of it properly, throw it in a ditch eventually it will wash out to sea. people are just brainless.

but at least all this talk may make people think twice before throwing that plastic bottle out of the window when they are driving.

Both you and KyussB are correct.

We litter excessively still in Ireland. But also, for years, we and many other western countries shipped containers of 'recyclable' plastics abroad to the far east which was not being recycled correctly and a significant portion has ended up in the oceans.

One of the reasons why the footwell of my car is littered and full of Ballygowan bottles lol! I always dispose of them in a recycle bin.

One of the reasons why the footwell of my car is littered and full of Ballygowan bottles lol! I always dispose of them in a recycle bin.

I'm not picking on you, but why not use a refillable unit?

Better for the environment and wayyyyyyyyyyy cheaper for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/07/plastic-produced-recycling-waste-ocean-trash-debris-environment/

91% of plastic isn't recycled. For everything we do recycle anyway we're churning out more and more plastic so it's not the answer.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/07/plastic-produced-recycling-waste-ocean-trash-debris-environment/

91% of plastic isn't recycled. For everything we do recycle anyway we're churning out more and more plastic so it's not the answer.

That’s a pity when so much more of it could be.

• Advertisement

That’s a pity when so much more of it could be.

Do you see this is an example now where action needs to focus minds on the reality versus the perception of what exactly is going on?

Do you see this is an example now where action needs to focus minds on the reality versus the perception of what exactly is going on?

Why do you keep directing this crap at me?? This is more enviromental than to do with global warming. I don’t litter for start. I do my bit, i make sure lights are never left on, everything is plugged out so there’s no energy going to waste. My car is newish and has a particulate filter along with an Adblue system. Car has a start stop function that doesn’t idle in traffic. However i won’t be flying less or driving less.... period.

Why do you keep directing this crap at me?? This is more enviromental than to do with global warming. I don’t litter for start. I do my bit, i make sure lights are never left on, everything is plugged out so there’s energy going to waste. My car is newish and has a particulate filter along with an Adblue system. Car has a start stop function that doesn’t idle in traffic. However i won’t be flying less or driving less.... period.

SMH.

You are the one whose posting is indicating a lack of awareness about what is going on while simultaneously giving out about Greta raising awareness.

And you also say you don't litter but the floor of your car is covered in plastic bottles...

I said I wasn't targeting you but if you don't like people discussing your points on a discussion board, well, I don't know what to tell you.

SMH.

You are the one whose posting is indicating a lack of awareness about what is going on while simultaneously giving out about Greta raising awareness.

And you also say you don't litter but the floor of your car is covered in plastic bottles...

I said I wasn't targeting you but if you don't like people discussing your points on a discussion board, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Nah it’s not lack of awarenes it’s just that i don’t suffer anxiety from it all...

Yes my car floor is littered with plastic bottles because 1 i don’t f***k them out the window. Secondly when it comes to my working car they tend to build up over a longtime before i dispose of them correctly. I’d probably be lucky to get a bottle of water every 3 or 4 weeks when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

It's small scale stuff to the point of insignificance almost, compared to the primary problems that humans collectively face and are causing - but you can buy a steel water bottle, refill it with water every time you head out, and never spend a single cent on a water bottle again.

It's small scale stuff to the point of insignificance almost, compared to the primary problems that humans collectively face and are causing - but you can buy a steel water bottle, refill it with water every time you head out, and never spend a single cent on a water bottle again.

Thank you for the lecture on how i should drink my water. All feedback will be passed on to the customer service department.

Thank you for the lecture on how i should drink my water. All feedback will be passed on to the customer service department.

Very hard not to think your main motivation in arguing against Gretas efforts is that you dont want to be told what needs to be done, or indeed can be done. Not least by a 16 year old girl.

I don't think it is insignificant in that it is an indicator as to someones unwillingness to acknowledge there is a sustainability problem if they are also frequently using throwaway single use plastics.

Very hard not to think your main motivation in arguing against Gretas efforts is that you dont want to be told what needs to be done, or indeed can be done. Not least by a 16 year old girl.

I can tell you my plastic footprint is quite low as it is.

It’s Saturday night, are you not going out to enjoy yourself? I am....

• Advertisement

I don't think it is insignificant in that it is an indicator as to someones unwillingness to acknowledge there is a sustainability problem if they are also frequently using throwaway single use plastics.

I honestly DON’T care what YOU think is significant or not, so stop with the lecturing posts directed at me, thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement