Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Is Greta still a thing?

The press releases appear to have dried up since her absolutely disastrous performance at the UN...

How come the world is always ending in 10 years?

Why not tomorrow?

And why do none of the diatribes begin:

"I am going to show you how to save the world AND save money"?

Oh, wait, I know the answer to that one. TAXES.

Money is the answer to almost all questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

And, once again, you know she is not bunking off school, she has taken a year out. It doesn't reflect well on you to not be able to recall that fact day after day. It's specifically the controversial law brought in in London preventing assembly.
    She is not saying all laws must be broken.
    Are you ok with free expression being quashed?

And once again you know she has not referred to returning to school. In fact she has clearly stated school/ study is a waste of time because supposedly according to her - civilisation is going tits up in 10 years time. It really doesn't reflect well on you to not be able to recall any of that fact day after day.

Those protestors are a bunch of eejits who are now thankfully being properly dealt with by the police. And funnily enough even the general public are now fed up with their antics.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-50079716
     It’s all about white middle-class people protesting about something that might happen.

Funny that....

A very good friend of mine was a vegan for 17 YEARS.

After Greta appeared on the news for the umpteenth time a few Saturdays ago, he said:

"To hell with this nonsense."

He walked down to Moore Street and bought a T-Bone steak. Cooked it. Ate it. Loved it.

Greta truly did make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Rockbeast2 wrote: »

After Greta appeared on the news for the umpteenth time a few Saturdays ago, he said:

He walked down to Moore Street and bought a T-Bone steak. Cooked it. Ate it. Loved it.

'Google, give me an example of a someone making up a story about something that never happened'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I do enjoy an ol steak! Haha

The reports from London seem strange to me. Why are they blocking tube users, public transport users?

Awful to see people fighting anyway, as they are fighting the wrong people you know. If extinction rebellion want some kind of action from the government I don't think fighting in public transport hubs is the way to go haha

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    And once again you know she has not referred to returning to school. In fact she has clearly stated school/ study is a waste of time because supposedly according to her - civilisation is going tits up in 10 years time. It really doesn't reflect well on you to not be able to recall any of that fact day after day.

Those protestors are a bunch of eejits who are now thankfully being properly dealt with by the police. And funnily enough even the general public are now fed up with their antics.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-50079716

Funny that....

I already pointed out I don't believe Greta is encouraging all law breaking.
    Those protestors are stupidly defeating the purpose of protesting about the environment by disrupting the use of public transport.

@ Tell me How

'Google, give me an example of a someone making up a story about something that WILL NEVER HAPPEN'

@ Tell me How

'Google, give me an example of a someone making up a story about something that WILL NEVER HAPPEN'

You don't have next weeks lotto numbers by any chance?

P.S. Listen to the scientists.

* Spoiler alert!

You will get an image of reGreta.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭jackboy

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    The reports from London seem strange to me. Why are they blocking tube users, public transport users?
    Because deep down most of them have no interest in the climate or protecting the environment.

They are generally wasters who want an excuse to scream abuse at strangers and misbehave in public. Essentially children who have never grown up.

• Advertisement

"You don't have next weeks lotto numbers by any chance?

P.S. Listen to the scientists."

Always bet the birthdays.

Which scientists?

I almost admire your tenacity but shouldn't you be out their saving the world. Save it for me. Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

rafatoni wrote: »
    Owns a 15 million pound private jet and a few million pound worth fleet of cars that have probs 5 litre engines. Absolute tool and this is the sort of nupty peddling stuff he hasnt got a clue about.

There’s a lot of that. As long as environmentalism is the rich and extreme producers of carbon lecturing the rest of us it will fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

jackboy wrote: »
    Because deep down most of them have no interest in the climate or protecting the environment.

They are generally wasters who want an excuse to scream abuse at strangers and misbehave in public. Essentially children who have never grown up.

That’s true too.

A new environmentalist movement which isn’t run by the rich or the upper middle classes is needed.

Which scientists?

Start with those that contributed to the IPCC report of October 2018.

reGreta

reGreta

reGreta

YOU HAVE STOLEN MY CHILDHOOD!

LOL

It was/is an attempt at social priming.

For what?

TAXES

It/she failed. What may have worked in 1930s Germany doesn't work for most of the masses any longer.

reGreta

reGreta

reGreta

YOU HAVE STOLEN MY CHILDHOOD!

LOL

It was/is an attempt at social priming.

For what?

TAXES

It/she failed. What may have worked in 1930s Germany doesn't work for most of the masses any longer.

Well, the average IQ of the thread moved considerably when you joined it.

Want to guess which direction?

Playing the man there?

Don't worry, I'm not a "liberal" so I won't report you!

I can take a dig ;-)

Playing the man there?

Don't worry, I'm not a "liberal" so I won't report you!

I can take a dig ;-)

Sorry I offended you. Hope we can be friends. ;)

Yes, Greta, we can be friends. :-)

And that, folks, is how Climate Change was solved on Walton Mountain! ;-)

* And remember, always take care of YOUR environment.

TC

RB

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Pity, they haven't managed to attract people to a particular message as Greta has. She's doing quite well given her inferiority to so many more. Isn't she? ;)

Hmmm now which message are we talking about exactly?

Is it the most recent one where greta is scolding the adults that they have stolen her childhood etc. And how dare they!
    My message is that we'll be watching you. This is all wrong. I shouldn't be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean. Yet you all come to us young people for hope. How dare you!

You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words...

She further clarifies her message here in a follow up interview...
    Q. How did you prepare the speech? 

A. – I started to think about the content of the speech around midsummer. That the message should be ”How dare you?”. To blame and shame the rulers. Then I did what I always do, I postponed thinking about it. So I started writing it a few days before the speech. 

Thanks greta think we got that alright ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I would far rather listen to the scientists than Greta, why can't she continue to do her thing but be accompanied by a legit scientist who would do the official speaking at these events.

We are told in 10years time we will have reached the beginning of the end of civilisation....but all these hundreds of scientists who have compiled the info don't really seem that bothered like why aren't they screaming from the roof tops. Naaa just stick it in a research paper and move on to the next thing.

If you could eliminate the 'end of the world' scaremongering sh1te then I think far less people would have an issue with Greta.

There is an old Hollywood adage of which I'm sure you are all aware:

No One Knows Anything

They/Hollywood have been trying to create an algorithm that will predict a successful film for decades.

It can't be done.

Neither can climate be predicted based on the current abilities of humankind.

Gravity captivates us all to a slim sliver of atmosphere on a ball of rock fueled by a molten core, which spins around a massive, temperamental ball of burning fire, which itself spins aro--

I could keep going on ad infinitum...

To paraphrase Humphrey Bogart;

"Rockbeast lighting up a smoke after a tasty steak doesn't amount to a hill of beans when it comes to the climate."

JJayoo wrote: »
    I would far rather listen to the scientists than Greta, why can't she continue to do her thing but be accompanied by a legit scientist who would do the official speaking at these events.

Because it is a massive undertaking. What answer could any scientist give which would satisfy all the naysayers in 30 seconds.
    The events where she speaks are not workshops or academic conferences, both places where the scientists are active.

She has raised awareness. Very successfully. She is a figurehead of the movement and it is not at all uncommon for such people to speak in that way.
    Ellen McArthur does it in a similar fashion in relation to the circular economy.

would it be fair or unfair to note that the september 11 attacks raised awareness for the al Qaeda cause?

is "raising awareness" a meaningless term as a measure of value, rightness or utility?

yes, id say.

@ Tell Me How

The climate changes.

It has never not changed.

It's the environment that we need to focus on, not nebulous concepts such as "Climate Change".

Complaining about "Climate Change" is no different than complaining that "Tomorrow Is Monday" on a Sunday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

She has raised awareness. Very successfully.

I agree. I had no idea how much more efficient and carbon friendly a regular transatlantic flight was compared with someone hitching a lift on a multimillion dollar sailing boat. I would have thought them close but she raised my awareness of the number of people needed in the team for that and the logistics which are huge. Thanks Greta!

War On Drugs

War on Terror

War on Climate Change?

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Because it is a massive undertaking. What answer could any scientist give which would satisfy all the naysayers in 30 seconds.
    The events where she speaks are not workshops or academic conferences, both places where the scientists are active

Your need to reply to every comment is really bizarre.

@ Tell Me How

The climate changes.

It has never not changed.

It's the environment that we need to focus on, not nebulous concepts such as "Climate Change".

Complaining about "Climate Change" is no different than complaining that "Tomorrow Is Monday" on a Sunday night.

3 words for you.

Rate. Of. Change.

It is demonstrably proven human behaviours are affecting the planet at a rate beyond any natural event other than something exceptional.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Your need to reply to every comment is really bizarre.

Why?
    You want me to leave the conversation to just one side?

What's bizarre is ignoring reality and science without any basis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement