Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    We(as in western Europe) aren't doing nothing.
    If China and India followed our lead the world would be much better off but because they aren't it leads back to my original post that we are pissing against the wind.

China are investing a lot in green energy. Massive solar farms etc. Stop buying things from China if you are concerned about their emissions

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    We(as in western Europe) aren't doing nothing.
    If China and India followed our lead the world would be much better off but because they aren't it leads back to my original post that we are pissing against the wind.

If your neighbours dumped their refuse in the front garden, would you do the same or act responsibly at that which you can control?

Don't you think that if all the neighbours now show that they are acting responsibly, that those who were dumping rubbish or more likely to change because of peer pressure.
    Or that the council will be more supportive to intervene given that there is obviously support in the area for ethical behaviour.

Let's do what we can do, then we can put pressure on India and China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

If your neighbours dumped their refuse in the front garden, would you do the same or act responsibly at that which you can control?

Don't you think that if all the neighbours now show that they are acting responsibly, that those who were dumping rubbish or more likely to change because of peer pressure.
    Or that the council will be more supportive to intervene given that there is obviously support in the area for ethical behaviour.

We've been doing that for years...still the neighbours are filthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

China are investing a lot in green energy. Massive solar farms etc. Stop buying things from China if you are concerned about their emissions

China are investing a lot in coal power plants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

we're throwing an apple core on to the grass and china is dumping the contents of the black bin in to the garden if you want to expand your analogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

In one of her speeches Greta said that if we continue as we are in 12 years time we will have hit a tipping point that could lead to the end of civilisation.

This has been repeated all over the media. Where has this 12 year figure come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/27082019/12-years-climate-change-explained-ipcc-science-solutions
    in 2018, when the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change released a report describing what it would take to keep global temperatures from rising more than 1.5 degrees Celsius, a goal of the Paris climate agreement. The report explained that countries would have to cut their anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions, such as from power plants and vehicles, to net zero by around 2050. To reach that goal, it said, CO2 emissions would have to start dropping "well before 2030" and be on a path to fall by about 45 percent by around 2030 (12 years away at that time).

I see where the 12 years comes from but how does this equate to the possible e d of civilization? What happens at 1.5 degrees?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

KyussB wrote: »
    So you want responsibility for Ireland's emissions to be spread out based on where we export - but you don't want the same for China (since, if we did that, it'd massively inflate the emission's the western world is responsible for...).Typical/usual hypocrisy and wilful blindness.

Ireland is a member state of the EU. Ireland is not part of the Chinesse Communist State. But yes deliberate offshoring is a significant environmental issue. More importantly its not my idea. Strange you're supposedly clued in - you know nothing about that. And no I dont support buying Chinese disposable tat which gets dumps in landfill..

Not surprising you're backing the communists tbh

But hey typical / usual hypocrisy and wilful blindness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Terrible parents alright.

Have raised a smart, principled, conscientious girl who by the age of 16 has spoke at UN, EU, HoC, US congress, won several awards, has been nominated for a Nobel prize, has travelled from Europe to the US on a racing yacht, has motivated over ten million people to join her on striking in order to motivate governments to protect the planet and has ticked off an entire socio-group of conspiracy theorists who hate the idea of positive action or change.

If she never does another thing, she'll have lived a more eventful and productive life than 99.9% of people on the planet.

But yeah, terrible parents.

You talking about Hitler or Greta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

JJayoo wrote: »
    I see where the 12 years comes from but how does this equate to the possible e d of civilization? What happens at 1.5 degrees?
    But it is right about the point that scientists project we’ll see some of the climate impacts we already see today begin to go from bad to outright terrifying. It’s about the point where we’ll likely see many natural systems begin to cross dangerous points of no return, triggering lasting changes and transforming life as we know it.

To put it another way, we want to do everything we can to keep warming below 1.5 degrees.

To understand why, read on...

https://www.climaterealityproject.org/blog/why-15-degrees-danger-line-global-warming

lleti wrote: »

Let's see who can show the most outrage to this lazy troll post, the winner will receive a shiny badge.

Ignore lazy troll.posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I think all change will have to be enforced upon us. That many people were abusing the free green bin collection that we now have to pay for it.

Some people will react to encouragement but most will have to be forced to change their ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Greta and friends go into meltdown ...

If Greta thinks there's no point going to school because the world will end, does that mean she thinks everyone should do the same, i.e everyone quits their jobs, thus signing on, thus killing the economy, thus meaning no one develops technology she's claiming will save the planet?

She seems to have this belief that we shouldn't focus on jobs or work too much, just enough for the stuff she wants to develop that she benefits from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If Greta thinks there's no point going to school because the world will end, does that mean she thinks everyone should do the same, i.e everyone quits their jobs, thus signing on, thus killing the economy, thus meaning no one develops technology she's claiming will save the planet?

She seems to have this belief that we shouldn't focus on jobs or work too much, just enough for the stuff she wants to develop that she benefits from.

I’m pretty sure she’s aiming to shame governments into acting on climate change (most say they are but aren’t). Don’t think she’s ever said what you have suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Read The Uninhabitable Earth. It details what we should expect if we continue on our current trajectory. We’re on course for at least 3 increase by 2100. Apparently 2 degree is the tipping point, where things would be bad. Aiming for 1.5 is still a challenging future, but we might be able to adapt and cope. It’d still mean terrible storms, drought, mass migration, but we might be able to cope. At 2 then it’s every woman for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

What a complete and utter bitch. Who does she think she is telling people to stop warming the globe? She should be in school doing her homework. Trying to rip me off by travelling around the globe and stuff. Give her some recipes and knitting needles and tell her to STFU. Goddam warmunists. Should be shot in the legs on sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Where are Gretas parents?
    Getting ready to appear on chat $how's, write book$ and make film$..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

gozunda wrote: »
    Ireland is a member state of the EU. Ireland is not part of the Chinesse Communist State. But yes deliberate offshoring is a significant environmental issue. More importantly its not my idea. Strange you're supposedly clued in - you know nothing about that. And no I dont support buying Chinese disposable tat which gets dumps in landfill..

Not surprising you're backing the communists tbh

But hey typical / usual hypocrisy and wilful blindness
    Eh? Where am I backing China?

If you've got such a phobia of Communists, why are you buying Communist-manufactured consumer electronics? It's pretty much a certainty that many of the components in your computer and smartphone are produced by the Evil Communists you so despise - again making you a hypocrite.

The same idiots happy to use the "posting from their iPhone's manufactured in China, made of rare earth's" etc. argument against people like Greta, or who are otherwise wanting action against climate change - are the same people having fits of Tourette's, screeching "Communism!" every time they hear anything which make them remotely nervous/uncomfortable - yet at the same time they are guilty of a variation of the very same arguments, because they are almost certainly posting from consumer electronics manufactured in Communist China...

So yea, the typical/usual hypocrisy and wilful blindness.

• Advertisement

Greta having a great J1 by the looks of it.

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1179099629557825543

Greta having a great J1 by the looks of it.

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1179099629557825543

Good. She's earned it.

greta fans sure have some cheek calling anyone else moaners in this thread. same four posters flinging out spite and fury that anyone dare question what a spoilt teenager with extremist views and a flair for bad drama has done to earn the attention of our governing structures.

angry, ad-hom, ugly stuff from one poster in particular but a few of them in it throughout. why does a teenage girl as strong and powerful as greta need ye defending her honour from mostly-imagined attacks on an irish discussion board folks? ye have some cheek labelling anyone creepy.

and still spreading the lies that anyone dubious about the above must be a climate change denier.

its poor, poor stuff.

Good. She's earned it.

Yep she's saved humanity. Well done tintin!

Yep she's saved humanity. Well done tintin!

Well, she's trying. Better than deluding yourself.

Well, she's trying. Better than deluding yourself.

Think the only ones deluded are the people who think they can carry on having the same standard of living and save the planet, getting your cheap labour in China to build you iPhone X12 Pros with 3 cameras and your cheap Adidas clothes manufactured by kids in China.

Oh but I use a re-usable water bottle and liked a post when Lidl got rid of plastic on their kiwis....I'm saving the planet!!

Think the only ones deluded are the people who think they can carry on having the same standard of living and save the planet, getting your cheap labour in China to build you iPhone X12 Pros with 3 cameras and your cheap Adidas clothes manufactured by kids in China.

Oh but I use a re-usable water bottle and liked a post when Lidl got rid of plastic on their kiwis....I'm saving the planet!!

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Wow.

Doesn't even make sense on any level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Think she must be reading this thread :)

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1179507708493471744

• Advertisement

hetuzozaho wrote: »

Ok and carbon fibre boats and flying planes doesn't eat into that budget?

I mean...if she thinks her childhood was stolen when she had all these things growing up, I think every child would say their childhood was stolen if they couldn't have these things Greta would like to get rid of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement