Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What boardsies would you bring back?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Raconteuse wrote: »
    That I don't know but god could he be humorless and unjustifiably snarky. Found it bizarre that a man who is older than my father would launch into attack mode every time Mr Fegelian, a kid, started a maybe inane but harmless thread. And I've never seen Mr F get snarky.

Yeah I felt that too. There was just always something a bit smug about his posts. Like it wasn’t natural or endearing but a bit boastful or something. I don’t know. It could be just me and a reflection on who I am and that’s grand. But there was something about his posts I could never click with. Willing to be told I’m wrong probably am!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Im tempted now to start a Walter Mitty account. Purely for entertaining boardsies of course because I'm such a salt of the earth lad. Ill be dripfeeding a constant stream of factoids about my yacht and mad party destinations I visit, sordid tales of all the girlies pining for my love and subtle boasts about my business acumen. Wont ever post any pics of course nooooo why would anyone want to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

I still feel really terrible for dragging up that post that contradicted his retirement age.

Ok we better all be good or the thread will be closed and that means our inquisitive natures won't have an outlet!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Ghosteen

I seriously doubt he was a made up character but then again who knows. The interweb is full of oddballs. I'm intrigued though about this retirement post. Can someone at least point me to the thread where this all happened?

• Advertisement

What was the post from 2012?

Dying to know now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ghosteen wrote: »
    What was the post from 2012?

None of our business. Its kinda bad form to be trawling through people's post histories to spot flaws and inaccuracies.

endacl wrote:
    None of our business. Its kinda bad form to be trawling through people's post histories to spot flaws and inaccuracies.

Ah relax will ya it's only boards

• Registered Users Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ah relax will ya it's only boards

Only slightly less inane then 'shur its after hours'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

endacl wrote: »

In fairness it’s nothing he didn’t do himself to others when he felt like it

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Dying to know now :pac:
    Sorry deleted my post, I was naming the wrong thread. It was this one, and the post that called him out has been deleted too...

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058052123/1

It just said that he was asking about fishing as a child and wanted to get back into it as he was about to retire soon,yea dates didn't add up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

dav was great, I'd bring him back

Will someone please think of the children and tell me of the discrepancy everyone's talking about!! :pac:

Will someone please think of the children and tell me of the discrepancy everyone's talking about!! :pac:
    Look at my last link...(22 years ago vs his post in 2012)
    Yea,math... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Notdeco wrote: »
    It just said that he was asking about fishing as a child and wanted to get back into it as he was about to retire soon,yea dates didn't add up at all.
    Busted so. Must be the reason for his departure. Ah well, it'll be forgotten in five minutes and he'll probably come back.

Notdeco wrote:
    Look at my last link...

Thanks.

Ah right, so he was saying in 2012 he was about to retire?

Thanks.

Ah right, so he was saying in 2012 he was about to retire?
    Yes, his post said that, and the post in my link he said 22 years ago.

Notdeco wrote:
    Yes, his post said that, and the post in my link he said 22 years ago.

This is fookin mad... I'm kind of excited :pac:

I did find him a bit smug with people at times too but he did send me a very nice pm a few years back when I was lucky not to kill myself in a bad car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,099 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Im tempted now to start a Walter Mitty account. Purely for entertaining boardsies of course because I'm such a salt of the earth lad. Ill be dripfeeding a constant stream of factoids about my yacht and mad party destinations I visit, sordid tales of all the girlies pining for my love and subtle boasts about my business acumen. Wont ever post any pics of course nooooo why would anyone want to do that?

That reminds me. When I was about 10, I had my name in Irelands Own for penpsls.
    Got a heap of replies.
    Anyhow, for some reason, I don't know why, I decided to reply to one girl telling her about my fantasy life.
    I think my parents were doctors, we went on multiple holidays a year, we had many horses bla bla.
    Needless to say she never replied.
    I guess I was a paper troll :)

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

dav was great, I'd bring him back

I disagree. Being the Community Manager of Boards.ie must be the easiest job in the world. All you have to do is nothing - let the people talk. But Dav was determined to restrict all discussion into a tiny window of "approved opinions" that was amenable to advertisers. Which is ironic because his efforts had the exact opposite effect. Boards was over 100,000 euro in the red at one point under his reign. Remember his now infamous "right wing opinions are dangerous" rant?

He also dismantled any semblance of a community by shutting down character driven fora like the Thunderdome while championing other dubious fora like the unsavory Islam one (which is far more offensive to anyone with a sense of decency or cares about human rights). His legacy was hundreds of power posters that were the lifeblood of the site upped and left for Reddit or Twitter for their internet discussion fix. Towards the end I vaguely remember Dav making threads desperately seeking opinions on how to stop the hemorrhaging of users but it was too little, too late and he was shown the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

... but he did send me a very nice pm a few years back when I was lucky not to kill myself in a bad car crash.

Then take that as the real him rather than presuming smugness. It was a genuine thing to do. I found him an amiable old curmudgeon, though I did once call him Srameanie for one of his ascerbic remarks. He is the kind of oul chap I like in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

For a moment I was getting Dav mixed up with dav3. Jesus, that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am sad to see the old fella close his account. Some people only post the nice things that happen in their lives and not the day to day drudgery. Maybe he was for real or maybe not but he was a nice constant around this place.
    I wonder if people have yet worked out that I am not who pretend to be and am posting this from a (freezing cold) bot factory in Vladivostok...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I am sad to see the old fella close his account. Some people only post the nice things that happen in their lives and not the day to day drudgery. Maybe he was for real or maybe not but he was a nice constant around this place.
    I wonder if people have yet worked out that I am not who pretend to be and am posting this from a (freezing cold) bot factory in Vladivostok...

I've been called a chatbot before, for posting in the wee hours... buuuuut chatbots don't type this poorly :o so I must be real :pac: or atleast that's what I tell myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I've been called a chatbot before, for posting in the wee hours... buuuuut chatbots don't type this poorly :o so I must be real :pac: or atleast that's what I tell myself.

01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110010 01100001 01100100 01100101

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110010 01100001 01100100 01100101

79bb066f755317833ab4f2b07e72207f.jpg
    01101000 01101111 01110111 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01101111 01101001 01101110 01100111 00111111 00001010 00001010 00001010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Busted so. Must be the reason for his departure. Ah well, it'll be forgotten in five minutes and he'll probably come back.

He's no Frank Abagnale, but still the old todger left an impressive body of work behind him... even if it was fabricated. :P

Nice detective skills to catch him out btw!

Poor chap might feel a bit lost now, killing off such a well established online persona.

He's no Frank Abagnale, but still the old todger left an impressive body of work behind him... even if it was fabricated. :P

Nice detective skills to catch him out btw!

Poor chap might feel a bit lost now, killing off such a well established online persona.

The love in for him has begun over on another thread so if he is reading he can be reassured that he has his fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I liked Srameen. I think he's genuine. Bonne chance monsieur.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement