Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

gozunda wrote: »

I have just arrived at the end of the internet- there is no more to be seen.

Goodness me, what were they smoking when they thought if that. And we can’t keep cattle on grass. My small lady has the Mr Nonsense book by roger Hargreaves. Definitely signs of nonsense-land there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just had some 14 Day aged Fillet steak from Dunnes, breed unknown. God it was tasty, even at €10 for 0.302Kg. :eek:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Have a bit of that here at the moment. Bloody rain weekend before last really rose water table. Cattle broke into another field. Checked fence... 1 bar. Water that high in one part of farm that it was touching electrical fence and earthing it!!!!!!!! Too early for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just had some 14 Day aged Fillet steak from Dunnes, breed unknown. God it was tasty, even at €10 for 0.302Kg. :eek:

Have had their fillet steak before. I think it may have been their standard one though. Excellent piece of meat and had been properly hung. I dunno who is doing their buying but they know their stuff ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah Dunnes and some others have really upped their beef buying.

Advantage of floating farm is the cows can sh1t on the slats straight into the sea!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Muckit wrote: »
    Jaysus my nerves would be well shot driving at that speed! Sudewinds be my concern.

I'd be bricking myself sometimes with just the SUV and driving the Tuam/ Limerick motorway.

I used to be the same with just the Land Cruiser on a open stretch of road on a blustery day and it's not exactly lacking in the weight department. The wind would be twitching the steering in my hands and then some hero with a trailer would sail out from behind and leave me for dust. I admit to having a bad experience years back that's left me cautious around towing but perhaps I'm just a coward in general when it comes to trailers. When I'm driving even with an empty trailer I'd rarely cross 80km on a straight stretch, one of my best friend drives faster than that loaded and doesn't pass any heed to the jeep giving an odd twitch. I'm generally a good passenger but I'd be holding on the seat for dear life and not able to talk when this would be going on.

Was travelling to Gortalea Mart last week with the Ifor Williams in tow. Now, there's a spot on that Limerick Castleisland where there is a serious dip in the road over a fair stretch. When you're heading into the dip it's temping to pick up speed a bit, to help pull up the other side. My trailer isn't the best, so I thought it better to play it safe and stick to 80kph. On my right waiting to pull out, or so I thought was a car.....and yep, speed gun out the window.

Some people are completely clueless when it comes to towing. A guy overtook me once doing about 120kph and towing one of those inflatible diving ribs. How, in the name of Jasuz was he going to stop it in an emergency.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Keepers of the Flame rte1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Was travelling to Gortalea Mart last week with the Ifor Williams in tow. Now, there's a spot on that Limerick Castleisland where there is a serious dip in the road over a fair stretch. When you're heading into the dip it's temping to pick up speed a bit, to help pull up the other side. My trailer isn't the best, so I thought it better to play it safe and stick to 80kph. On my right waiting to pull out, or so I thought was a car.....and yep, speed gun out the window.

Some people are completely clueless when it comes to towing. A guy overtook me once doing about 120kph and towing one of those inflatible diving ribs. How, in the name of Jasuz was he going to stop it in an emergency.

My old fella has points for speeding with the trailer. Coming home from a show one sunday he passed a Gosafe van. 3 points on the license quietened him.

I got overtaken by a lad towing a boat one day. I was on the bike and it was comical. About half a mile behind us in clear view was a Traffic Corps jeep. Jeep picks up speed, overtakes me and pulls mr fisherman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I've never got points for speeding but I'd always drive faster than the lorries when I'm towing, driving at 80 leaves you in the way of the lorries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Was with my boss one day in previous job, he’d borrowed our builders trailer to move some equipment as his was away on another job.

100mph down the M3 with the trailer behind the Transporter. No safety chain, no breaks and it was well second hand when my auld lad bought it 30years ago. I was wondering at one stage how far of the road it would be before it stopped if it unhooked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Brian wins:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Poor enough stuff there, like Liveline in 1927, the neighbours pension is better than mine, and he was hiding behind sandbags etc.etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's fairly pathetic. Personally, I'm ambivalent about the commerations and should it all be left to rest. A point aired by some of the contributors too.
    I will watch the two part series on Daniel O'Connell as I feel much more akin to his way of thinking. Pity the blood sacrafice ideology has overshadowed him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

All the talk of towing reminds me of a story told about a local man who only ever mastered driving a tractor and never progressed beyond a MF 240. He was returning from the mart one evening having bought a few sucks which were in a single axle trailer behind the tractor. It was a damp dark evening in early spring and he happened upon another elderly neighbor returning from town on a bicycle. Our man duly stopped and offered to carry the other man and his bike the last few mile home, this offer was quickly accepted and the bike was stored in the trailer with the calves.

At this point the owner of the bike decided to travel in the trailer so as to prevent the bicycle being damaged by the calves. One all the cargo was aboard our man sat back up on the tractor and continued on, he wasn't in the habit of looking behind him and had no mirrors on the tractor. Having pulled up at the neighbors house he was horrified to discover the trailer and it's varied cargo missing, it had obviously unhitched somewhere back the road. The MF got a faster than usual spin back towards town and the trailer was duly located in a drain on the roadside where it had slid to a stop. Thankfully all it's passengers were uninjured and the biggest casualty was the tractor drivers ego, the following week at the mart there was a chain lashing tractor to trailer that wouldn't have been out of place attaching an anchor to the Titanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

To the victors the narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

blue5000 wrote: »
    Brian wins:D

He hasn’t got lend of it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

BBC is the broadcasting arm of The Guardian these days. If you think thats a good thing there’s no hope for you.
    Once a saw a vegan promotion followed by benifits of hallal meats on a blurb so they could fit the required diversity budget in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I bought and paid for straws from an AI company and their technician who services our area has them in his flask. Can I get the straws transferred to another technician (that also services our area) but works for a different AI company or is it a no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Odelay

Base price wrote: »
    I bought and paid for straws from an AI company and their technician who services our area has them in his flask. Can I get the straws transferred to another technician (that also services our area) but works for a different AI company or is it a no-no.

I don’t see why not, I’d say it’s not that unusual a request. You’ll be paying them both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Odelay wrote: »
    I don’t see why not, I’d say it’s not that unusual a request. You’ll be paying them both.
    I don't mind paying a charge but how do I go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

BBC is the broadcasting arm of The Guardian these days. If you think thats a good thing there’s no hope for you.
    Once a saw a vegan promotion followed by benifits of hallal meats on a blurb so they could fit the required diversity budget in.

What a French vegan looks like!

lYXsy45.jpg

Dug the spuds today. First time growing a few. I won’t be opening a chipper this year. The 4yo couldn’t get over the amount of them. She was delighted.

We went to trump donbeg for lunch yesterday. Great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Dug the spuds today. First time growing a few. I won’t be opening a chipper this year. The 4yo couldn’t get over the amount of them. She was delighted.

We went to trump donbeg for lunch yesterday. Great spot.

Was thinking of growing a few, more for the kids than anything else... But I remember them being a lot of work, weeding, spraying...

How did you find it timewise kollege?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Was thinking of growing a few, more for the kids than anything else... But I remember them being a lot of work, weeding, spraying...

Shouldn't need to spray household potatoes in this day and age.
    There's blight resistant varieties out there.

I'm amshamed to say that I've never grown a spud. Wouldn't know how.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Am I after showing my age now :)

Yeah it’s time consuming alright. I only did two drills and a bit for onions and broccoli.
    If you did it weekly, an hour or two would do it. But when there was dry weather- an hour a day was being used. Definitely worth doing it.
    I only managed to grow about 4 carrots but my 4yo and 1yo were walking around like bugs bunny for the day.

I got two blight resistant breeds- a pink and a white. The pink didn’t grow and the white were very big. No issue re spraying though.

• Advertisement

I'm amshamed to say that I've never grown a spud. Wouldn't know how.

RTE have a Grow your own show- it’s great- I stuck to the dates exactly for pumpkins and I’ve about 8 growing. 2 on one vine are the size of a size4 Gaelic football.

There are a few good allotment sites too that are great.
    Mam delighted to be tying the onions up to dry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement