Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

I ended up in Gortalea Mart last night. Well it lived up to it's reputation, small friendly mart. Pity it's so far, nearly 2 hours drive with delays along the way.

There was a neighbour of mine selling the first half of his cows last night i think he took 50 down there,good cows ch sm and lm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

There was a neighbour of mine selling the first half of his cows last night i think he took 50 down there,good cows ch sm and lm.

Ya, really good sucklers. A lot white char types. Most made around the 1300/1400 mark. Good value for a clearance sale (Well, for a normal year anyway).

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ya, really good sucklers. A lot white char types. Most made around the 1300/1400 mark. Good value for a clearance sale (Well, for a normal year anyway).

Do those white ch make good cows though? Were they in calf?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Muckit wrote: »

I'd prefer a good red limousin. Place was packed so plenty of buyers. Most calving in the coming weeks.
    Here's the add;
    https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/suckler-sale-at-gortatlea-mart/22632818

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Muckit wrote: »

ya all near it he has 50 more to go would have plenty milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Young lad had a bad fall off his bike this evening. Cracked his helmet. Very lucky he always wears it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Young lad had a bad fall off his bike this evening. Cracked his helmet. Very lucky he always wears it.
    How is he now?

Base price wrote: »
    How is he now?
    he is grand thanks, a lot of cuts and bruises to his left side, even one behind his ear, posted a picture of the helmet on facebook. sudocreme central atm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'm just reminded whilst listing to RTE radio 1 of this night in 1977 whilst dozing to sleep in our holiday cottage in Courtown, Co. Wexford. My brother heard on the radio that Elvis had died. He and I (the youngest two children) were there with Mam and he had to tell her the bad news. TBH it was like her world fell apart and she cried and cried. She was so upset that she asked my brother to go to the dancehall to get cigarettes. She wasn't a regular smoker but sometimes she would smoke a Sweet Afton before going to bed. Anyway we sat up for the rest of the night listening to Elvis songs on the radio.
    Memories are made of this wink.png
    Edit - forgot to add this link re Memories are made of thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS2k43NJycE

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

What time does sales start in Drumshambo on a Friday?
    Thinking of showing a few heifers

Did you show the heifers? Was a good sized sale and trade was alright considering the current situation imo. I carried a few cows home for a man and only in the door now, some craic backing 200 hundred meters through a 10" gate off a narrow road in the dark. Thankfully the rain held off until I was turned for home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Is anyone listening to Harry Crosbie on RTE radio one, he seems to have a brilliant plan for extending dublin into the sea for cheaper housing.
    Of course some of the begrudging Irish have sent in their comments, great little country we have, plus of course a government (civil service) with no vision.
    I had the pleasure of talking to him in a pub in Dublin lately, he has his own ideas about us not allowing irish housewives to buy Brazilian beef if they choose, He was also telling us about his new projects including a new big entertainment venue in Gorey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

My mother won €650 on local draw. Delighted for her. Hope she goes and enjoys it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

wrangler wrote: »
    Is anyone listening to Harry Crosbie on RTE radio one, he seems to have a brilliant plan for extending dublin into the sea for cheaper housing.
    Of course some of the begrudging Irish have sent in their comments, great little country we have, plus of course a government (civil service) with no vision.
    I had the pleasure of talking to him in a pub in Dublin lately, he has his own ideas about us not allowing irish housewives to buy Brazilian beef if they choose, He was also telling us about his new projects including a new big entertainment venue in Gorey

Extending Dublin into the sea I dont think is a good idea. what sea level do you plan for? the current max tide? What about rising sea levels?

Like if it's stupid to build on flood plains in the Midlands its madness to build on the sea.

Signed
    A Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Last year our first Salers heifer gallivanted with the neighbours Charolais bull, but all ok and a lovely heifer calf off her. This year we have a second Salers heifer so put Bivouac- nice easy calving CH on her. But noooooo, not good enough for her. She repeated, broke away & has done the exact same thing.....with the same bull...:pac:

Top marks for consistency at least.

ganmo wrote: »
    Extending Dublin into the sea I dont think is a good idea. what sea level do you plan for? the current max tide? What about rising sea levels?

Like if it's stupid to build on flood plains in the Midlands its madness to build on the sea.

Signed
    A Dub

He's proposing bringing the gravel from the sea bed so material is free, he can go to any height above sea level theoretically, Its an inlet on the sea with peninsula both sides, he only has to fill the inlet to the level of the peninsulas.
    250acres of building land worth €25m/acre

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

'Irish housewives' is a bit last century if not the one before it. So I can buy Brazilian beef but my OH can't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Water John wrote: »
    'Irish housewives' is a bit last century if not the one before it. So I can buy Brazilian beef but my OH can't?

If they start buying beef, John, where will it stop?

They won't rest until they have the vote, god help us:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well you know how your wife is standing in the front room is, because the chain to the kitchen sink is too long.
    We're dead.

If they start buying beef, John, where will it stop?

They won't rest until they have the vote, god help us:D

He probably said it that way too, I was more worried of that being what he thought and his poor opinion of our produce, why he can't get decent irish meat.
    Who said today we produce any ould thing and then expect someone to want it.
    It's no accident that I don't buy Irish lamb, he couldn't get a decent leg of lamb so I could only agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

Excellent game of camogie on tv. Plenty of yellow cards flying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Double post

Hopefully these photos will attach.

If they do,could someone tell me what these are?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I think they're peacock butterfly caterpillars.
    A whole fúckload of them:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Caterpillars of the Tortoiseshell or Peacock butterfly - them and the likes of the Red Admiral, Painted Lady etc. depend on nettles to rear those young

There was some discussion here about three word locators etc.
    Had to make a 999 call recently for someone with a suspected broken leg. First time doing it, all very straight forward. Call taker asked me for address and eircode couldn’t remember the bloody thing. Anyway they dispatched the ambulance and talked me through what to do, don’t move him whatever, keep him warm, no food or liquids, phone again if he looses consciousness.

Thankfully all went grand. Lesson learned was to write/print Eircode on all machinery. Chances are that whatever happens, there will be a quadbike, tractor or Jeep nearby (chances are they might have also caused the injury). It will also help for reuniting stolen machinery if it comes across an checkpoint or is abandoned.

Obviously, contractors will need another method.

Is it good or bad to have piles of them like that?

I've been leaving the outside 6-8 ft around fields for the past 3 years. And only this year have I noticed these in such abundance.

I think they're peacock butterfly caterpillars.
    A whole fúckload of them:pac:

I saw loads of them last week on nettles I was spraying. Never saw them before

I've been leaving the outside 6-8 ft around fields for the past 3 years. And only this year have I noticed these in such abundance.

Can only be good as far as I can see. Great to see what happens if you can afford to let part of the headlands be left alone, within reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Can only be good as like the Cinnebar moth caterpillars they are a very effective way of controlling their host plant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement