Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

NcdJd wrote: »
    Is it just one field or multiple fields ? Do they have to lay the panels within existing field boundaries Dinzee?

Jaysus I haven’t a clue JD

I imagine they would have to leave the existing field boundaries, and so lay the panels within the existing fields...
    But I don’t know that for certain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

I imagine they would have to leave the existing field boundaries, and so lay the panels within the existing fields...

Nice number now for someone doing maintainence on that type of setup. I'm sure ther needs to be things like strimming, hedgecutting etc carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Problem with these developments retaining field boundaries - is that it will drastically cut down usable area due to shade from surrounding trees and bushes as the Sun moves from east to west during the day.

I can't see existing boundaries being retained tbh.

gozunda wrote: »
    Problem with these developments retaining field boundaries - is that it will drastically cut down usable area due to shade from surrounding trees and bushes as the Sun moves from east to west during the day.

I can't see existing boundaries being retained tbh.

Must have a look into the documents on one of these developments when I get some time. Interesting to see if this is the case. I'm always suspicious of green energy, and how green it actually is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Nice number now for someone doing maintainence on that type of setup. I'm sure ther needs to be things like strimming, hedgecutting etc carried out.

I have heard, but I don’t know reliable this is....
    Anyways - I heard there is an extra payment if you manage the undergrowth yourself.... this would be sheep grazing under the panels...

• Advertisement

I have heard, but I don’t know reliable this is....
    Anyways - I heard there is an extra payment if you manage the undergrowth yourself.... this would be sheep grazing under the panels...

Could you imagine trying to count them when half of them are hiding under a panel somewhere. :D

I can imagine looking in between the rows of panels and seeing a flash of white. Was that a sheep or the light?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

With a security fence around them and CCTV they could be the securest sheep in the country. Would they jump up on the panels? Big part of maintenance could be washing the panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

With a security fence around them and CCTV they could be the securest sheep in the country. Would they jump up on the panels? Big part of maintenance could be washing the panels.

Sure it’s Ireland we get enough rain to sort that

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't know on the fences but trees would be out. The panels usually go from 5 ft to 12 ft. Sheep would be the grazers. Some panels coming have both sides working. New material showing good prospects of much higher energy yield peroskovite.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

That's the problem will they not turn green in time?

• Advertisement

Had to get the number off the oil filter of the neighbours tractor this evening and the number was underneath and a loader in the way so was awkward. Heard this scratching noise behind me and thought it was a rat in the spud box. Turns out it was this fella. Just sat there and stared at me. Eamon Ryan's rewilding has started people. Be careful out there.

Never heard of a cleaning issue, presume it's self cleaning glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Water John wrote: »
    I see John Fogarty gets PP. If he's the guy I used to know, an absolute gentleman and wish him well on the venture.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/an-bord-pleanala-approval-for-tipperary-solar-farm/

I only glanced that message and thought the singer John Fogerty was dead. Had to double take. And thankfully read it properly.

Best of luck to the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Is it just one field or multiple fields ? Do they have to lay the panels within existing field boundaries Dinzee?

Sorry don't think I'm been clear in my question, can they basically rip out all the field boundary hedgerows to make one field for the panels.

The one's over here get security type mesh fencing around the site, sheep into graze the grass underneath. I pressume there's access to keep hedges down avoiding shade. The panels are cleaned atleast once upto 3 times to keep dirt off by a 'fancy soft roller bristly thingy'. I've seen units tractor mounted and a automatic robot type machine you just moved panel to panel both spraying water on to aid cleaning.

The one's over here get security type mesh fencing around the site, sheep into graze the grass underneath. I pressume there's access to keep hedges down avoiding shade. The panels are cleaned atleast once upto 3 times to keep dirt off by a 'fancy soft roller bristly thingy'. I've seen units tractor mounted and a automatic robot type machine you just moved panel to panel both spraying water on to aid cleaning.

Was just wondering as a friend of mine was approached by a German company. He has around 600 acres and would have been a big one with roads dug up to access a substation. He said this was one of the obstacles along with another semi state authority putting the nail in the coffin to the whole thing. Didn't even go to planning stage. He could have retired early ha.

Road dig up is fairly standard for windfarms. Thanks Waffle for the info on cleaning, wasn't aware of it.

Water John wrote: »
    Road dig up is fairly standard for windfarms. Thanks Waffle for the info on cleaning, wasn't aware of it.

The roads are main roads crossing routes that lead onto the m50. He said they would not allow a substation to be built on his land. It had to go to one which is 6 km away as the crow flies heading into he outskirts of Dublin City.

Edit Sorry John just to add it was like neither the county council or state authority wanted it to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'm just after seeing the most incredible thing. A comet or something in the sky. In the north west direction. It was like a fireball tru the sky. Time was 11:56 pm.
    I was out in the yard and turned around to look directly at it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

There's meteors to be seen at the moment. Few, but fireballs occasionally.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

greysides wrote: »
    There's meteors to be seen at the moment. Few, but fireballs occasionally.

Overcast here and spitting rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I'm just after seeing the most incredible thing. A comet or something in the sky. In the north west direction. It was like a fireball tru the sky. Time was 11:56 pm.

I spotted it out the velux window as well, actually thought I was seeing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/farmer-holds-on-to-family-farm-in-debt-writedown-case-1.4378926?mode=amp

A property developer with a farm had his case fought by the IFA.
    A small/ medium farmer owe 300k and he’s fcked.
    An individual like this owe 3.2million and the bank is fcked. (Though they’ll pass it to a mug like me)

Jjameson wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/farmer-holds-on-to-family-farm-in-debt-writedown-case-1.4378926?mode=amp

An individual like this owe 3.2million and the bank is fcked. (Though they’ll pass it to a mug like me)

It’s always been said.
    Owe the bank €50,000 and you have a problem, but owe them €1,000,000 and THEY have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I spotted it out the velux window as well, actually thought I was seeing things.

Ya, I got some shock. To me, the flame went out before it went out of sight. It was more or less horizontal too with a slight dip.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I came across this this morning, I thought it was a nice story with a bit of history behind it.
    https://twitter.com/HodaAndJenna/status/1315668869391028225?s=19

I came across this this morning, I thought it was a nice story with a bit of history behind it.

We also recently forfeited our place in Lacross International World Games to allow a Native American team play. A fair commendable decision.

Kindness and thoughtfulness is always good.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2020/0905/1163463-iroquois-nationals-lacrosse-ireland-world-games/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Jjameson wrote: »

There's lots of write downs and deals being done at the moment, people shouldn't be afraid to fight

Draconid meteor shower

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I always wonder about this.

Was there not a story that the money was sent by an Irish overseer of that reservation?
    It's not as if the Chocktaws had paying jobs that they could set up a Gofundme account.

Whatever the full story there's nobody will contradict the official account now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭davidk1394

wrangler wrote: »
    There's lots of write downs and deals being done at the moment, people shouldn't be afraid to fight

It's a tough fight though. Been through it here before. A man I know of went into the bank manager when he was in financial difficulty. He leaned across the table to the bank manager and grabbed his hand and said " it'll be okay because we're in this together" he managed to pay back the loan after a lot of restructuring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement