Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Working from home is great.

Except I’ve no phone signal.

So I’m sitting in the van Outside making phone calls.

When not I’ve to leave the phone in the van and check it regularly.

It’s a first world problem but a pain all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

davidk1394 wrote: »
    It's a tough fight though. Been through it here before. A man I know of went into the bank manager when he was in financial difficulty. He leaned across the table to the bank manager and grabbed his hand and said " it'll be okay because we're in this together" he managed to pay back the loan after a lot of restructuring.

Yes but you've nothing to lose, it can't get any worse than when they try to foreclose on the loan, after that you can only improve the situation by being
    belligerent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Odelay

_Brian wrote: »
    Working from home is great.

Except I’ve no phone signal.

So I’m sitting in the van Outside making phone calls.

When not I’ve to leave the phone in the van and check it regularly.

It’s a first world problem but a pain all the same.

Drive the van into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭davidk1394

wrangler wrote: »
    Yes but you've nothing to lose, it can't get any worse than when they try to foreclose on the loan, after that you can only improve the situation by being
    belligerent

The main thing I took away from the ordeal is cut your cloth to measure. Especially with what I'm going doing right now.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    The main thing I took away from the ordeal is cut your cloth to measure. Especially with what I'm going doing right now.

Not that simple, When I was stress testing my projections in the 1980s I neglected to include 20% interest rates and 5 years nursing home bills, you just never know what's around the corner, plenty of people who didn't take stupid risks got into financial trouble too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

plenty of people who didn't take stupid risks got into financial trouble too.

Don't want to open a can of worms about the property boom/crash, but myself and herself bought a small terrace house in 2008 for ourselves. Our first son was on his way and this was a family home. When it was time for him to start school in 2013, and we had a second son in tow, we moved to be close to the farm and his school. We rented out the house but it didn't come close to covering the mortgage so we had to top it up, and then pay to rent a house for ourselves before building a small (100m2) bungalow of our own here.

At a last count, we had paid 15k since we moved out of the terrace house between topping up the mortgage and tax on the rental income (which doesn't cover the mortgage!). There's still 160k owed on the mortgage and the house is now worth 120k so we have some way to go yet.

We're one of those accidental landlords.

The only point I'm making is we bought a family home at the wrong time and it is going to cost us god knows what in the end. I'm half afraid to think about it.

But I'll probably be milking cows in 2022 so I'm sure all our money worries will be over then :D

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Don't want to open a can of worms about the property boom/crash, but myself and herself bought a small terrace house in 2008 for ourselves. Our first son was on his way and this was a family home. When it was time for him to start school in 2013, and we had a second son in tow, we moved to be close to the farm and his school. We rented out the house but it didn't come close to covering the mortgage so we had to top it up, and then pay to rent a house for ourselves before building a small (100m2) bungalow of our own here.

At a last count, we had paid 15k since we moved out of the terrace house between topping up the mortgage and tax on the rental income (which doesn't cover the mortgage!). There's still 160k owed on the mortgage and the house is now worth 120k so we have some way to go yet.

We're one of those accidental landlords.

The only point I'm making is we bought a family home at the wrong time and it is going to cost us god knows what in the end. I'm half afraid to think about it.

But I'll probably be milking cows in 2022 so I'm sure all our money worries will be over then :D

You know what I'm talking about so, plenty of deeds done in good faith turn out wrong.
    With the benefit of hindsight the dairy boom now would remind you of the building in 2008, be hard to know what size to cut your cloth at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

You know what I'm talking about so, plenty of deeds done in good faith turn out wrong.
    With the benefit of hindsight the dairy boom now would remind you of the building in 2008, be hard to know what size to cut your cloth at the moment.

In my ignorance I often compare the two

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If President XI with a stroke of a pen decided to extend maternity leave to breastfeeding mothers then you'd be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »
    If President XI with a stroke of a pen decided to extend maternity leave to breastfeeding mothers then you'd be right.

Reading this message without reading the ones before is not a good idea.

There I was wondering who president eleven is?
    And who'd be concerned with breastfeeding?

Now that I'm on the right track. I think you may think of where China was in the not too distant past and where it is now.
    China is basically where Ireland used to be in the 70's and 80's. They've hit modernization and see breastfeeding as agricultural in the past, restricting women's right to work, dirty and something to be frowned on.

It'll take 10 or 20 years to go back full circle out there now maybe more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Anybody know where I can get a heifer slaughtered and butchered in Clare for my own freezer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Could a cow 6 months in calf show a false heat? Had one show heat & was cursing her, but watched her like a hawk between days 19-21 after that & not a birdie out of her then. The 'heat' was between testing & reading days of our herd test if that makes any difference. Suppose I should have gotten the vet to dip her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Could a cow 6 months in calf show a false heat? Had one show heat & was cursing her, but watched her like a hawk between days 19-21 after that & not a birdie out of her then. The 'heat' was between testing & reading days of our herd test if that makes any difference. Suppose I should have gotten the vet to dip her!

Yes
    Don’t dip get her scanned

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Water John wrote: »

You couldn't predict any specific event like this happening but it could well be a "black swan" event that changes milk price or any other commodity price.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan_theory

The world is a random place and the more globalised and interconnected it gets, the more random stuff on one side of the planet affects something 1000s of miles away.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Yes
    Don’t dip get her scanned

No, I meant should have got the vet to dip her the day she was coming off test, last year he checked one for me when she was in the crush:pac:

We'll likely scan in Nov, worked out well last year knowing what was coming. Just the guy we use doesn't like scanning them too late on in calf so I'll just watch her again at the dates & warn him of her possibly being late on in calf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

They can. I have a family of them feckers here showing regular heats up to when they go inside and the odd random heat then. Calve away fine but you never know if they're still in calf until they start bagging up.

They can. I have a family of them feckers here showing regular heats up to when they go inside and the odd random heat then. Calve away fine but you never know if they're still in calf until they start bagging up.

Perfect, thanks. Was cursing her so much I'm surprised she didn't go up in flames on the spot. Will hold off on the cursing for now then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Nice out this morning. Couldn't stop looking at the sky bringing in the cows ... anybody else think it was unusual this morning or do I need to go and see a doctor? Have a good day lads

• Registered Users Posts: 29,146 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Nice out this morning. Couldn't stop looking at the sky bringing in the cows ... anybody else think it was unusual this morning or do I need to go and see a doctor? Have a good day lads

Raining here. Bull we have with sucklers broke out again. 4 strands of barbed and electric fence each side of fence.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Raining here. Bull we have with sucklers broke out again. 4 strands of barbed and electric fence each side of fence.

When they get the habit it’s hard broke. We had one wee Angus cow here years ago and she would break your heart. That was pre electric fence times and it was maddening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,146 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    When they get the habit it’s hard broke. We had one wee Angus cow here years ago and she would break your heart. That was pre electric fence times and it was maddening.

He just puts his head under it and bulls through. Cnut

No, I meant should have got the vet to dip her the day she was coming off test, last year he checked one for me when she was in the crush:pac:

We'll likely scan in Nov, worked out well last year knowing what was coming. Just the guy we use doesn't like scanning them too late on in calf so I'll just watch her again at the dates & warn him of her possibly being late on in calf.

I got cows dipped by a vet a testing time and think it’s expensive and not accurate
    I got scan guys out to do a few for the same price as the vet was for 1

whelan2 wrote: »
    He just puts his head under it and bulls through. Cnut

We had one too and we hung a chain out of the ring for a short while, solved the problem any way

I got cows dipped by a vet a testing time and think it’s expensive and not accurate

Ah ours wouldn't charge you for dipping one, we'd only dip if unsure of an animal, never dip them all!!

Pissing rain here, didn't think that was forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Can ye explain what dipping is to our non farming people?

Us farming people of course all know what it is.
    But just so the non farmers can feel included..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

All I learnt from this forum so far is that certain members like to go off skinny dipping in the dead of night. Apart from that and sheep being dipped i never heard of cow dipping or seen cows been driven through a car wash. But it might be common enough in Leitrim I suppose. :p

Probably not explaining right
    This is where a Vet or AI person feel the ovaries of a cow/heifer for the presence of a fetus

Probably not explaining right
    This is where a Vet or AI person feel the ovaries of a cow/heifer for the presence of a fetus

Yes, but isn't it the womb, not ovaries....no calf in an ovary!! We just call it dipping here, presume there's local terms elsewhere too.

Have only heard it called “handling” here.

Occasionally when vet was out we’d ask them to “handle” a cow to see if she was in calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Dipping is already in use in sheep areas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement