Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

orm0nd wrote: »
    o/h and myself spent a few days in donegal and N.I.

we were supposed to be attending a wedding in london in sept. and another in vermont in Nov. both of which won't be happening (for us at least)

really enjoyed the break but always conscius of mixing and your surroundings takes a little from free style holiday

It’s lovely up there
    Ireland is a fantastic country , sadly you can only appreciate when it’s not raining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭minerleague

Just reading about mob grazing - is it a fad or is there something in it?
    Our land is all split into fields with drinkers - but split across a few locations. It is not something that I think would work with us - grazing a field for 24hrs and then letting it lie for 6 months - even if we did split the fields down with a fencer.
    Rotational seems a better fit. Normally the cattle would eat down the grass before moving on, but after reclaiming some ground I'm wondering should we do something 'a bit more modern'. Although the boss probably would go mad at moving the cattle on from a field with grazing left in it!

Anyone else doing any form of mob/rotational grazing? Would be good to hear some opinions on how it works here.

US youtube channel JUST A FEW ACRES FARM goes through why it didnt work for him, video called "No nonsense Grazing"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

orm0nd wrote: »
    o/h and myself spent a few days in donegal and N.I.

we were supposed to be attending a wedding in london in sept. and another in vermont in Nov. both of which won't be happening (for us at least)

really enjoyed the break but always conscius of mixing and your surroundings takes a little from free style holiday

I love the Ulster folk museum. Only glimpses at the transport part because we spend so long in the folk park.

Working black smith. Workers in costume. A few nice Irish moiled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

US youtube channel JUST A FEW ACRES FARM goes through why it didnt work for him, video called "No nonsense Grazing"

The urge to go intensive with fertiliser and get some extra silage bales to use or sell is too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The urge to go intensive with fertiliser and get some extra silage bales to use or sell is too great.

The price of fertiliser is massive, the price of cattle is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TMK Bord Bia are back doing on farm visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Danzy wrote: »
    The price of fertiliser is massive, the price of cattle is not.

It doesn't need much to keep fertility up once you get it built up.
    There's no comparison with the production from index 3 and 4 and index 1 and 2 in both animal thrive and production ......... provided of course you don't be selling silage off it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I love the Ulster folk museum. Only glimpses at the transport part because we spend so long in the folk park.

Working black smith. Workers in costume. A few nice Irish moiled too.

Have been a few times
    Transport section is great too.

We were there one damp afternoon and it was quiet. The blacksmith talked to us for ages and then brought the girls into the forge to blow the bellows and hammer the poker he was working on.
    Sometimes you’ll get fresh bread in the Vickars house. Soda
    Bread straight off the open fire.

Last visit they were dropping potatoes with a variety of vintage equipment, the Ferguson planter with the bell brought me right back. For my girls to be able to walk up into the field along side
    It and see the lads dropping the seed was great. No YouTube video gives that experience. They were amazed that I’d done that as a child. Probably amazed I’m that old !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Water John wrote: »
    TMK Bord Bia are back doing on farm visits.

I phoned the helpdesk yesterday and was told it’s up to individual inspectors to decide whether they’ll do on-farm or virtual visits. The lady I spoke to gave me my inspector’s name/number and said to contact him directly to find out

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Just wondering could anyone help me out. I have an issue with warts on heifers and is there anything to cure them ? They are getting spot on every few weeks and I tried a spray on the teats with no effect. I know warts are self limiting but I'd like to try get rid of them if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Just wondering could anyone help me out. I have an issue with warts on heifers and is there anything to cure them ? They are getting spot on every few weeks and I tried a spray on the teats with no effect. I know warts are self limiting but I'd like to try get rid of them if possible.

Bactakill 55 might be worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

amazing rescue of the two ladies in Galway Bay this afternoon

15 hours in the water including all night is some story

a teenager in navan also rescued 2 kids yesterday in the Boyne river.

4 lives saved

4 lives saved

Add to that it was a particularly bad night, they were lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,159 ✭✭✭✭Base price

4 lives saved
    Shows how important it is to bring your children to swimming lessons.
    The two ladies were very lucky and it will be interesting to hear their story.

The young lad in Navan did well. I was listening to him on the radio this morning and he said he put the lad onto his shoulders and swam him to the bank but it was covered in reeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭50HX

Seaweed meal is good for it

If your not plannin on selling they will run it courses......just ugly to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I've had success with mixing some bread soda with castor oil and rubbing it on after milking. It seems to dry out the wart and they blacken and scab off after a week or so. Big ones take longer but at least I see progress and it keep's me busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had a lad here fixing a puncture, hes off cigarettes this last 2 weeks, putting €41 a day into a jar that ge would have been buying cigarettes with ! He was on 60 a day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had a lad here fixing a puncture, hes off cigarettes this last 2 weeks, putting €41 a day into a jar that ge would have been buying cigarettes with ! He was on 60 a day :eek:

Fair play to him. Not easy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Fair play to him. Not easy

The €574 would help ease the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭148multi

I've had success with mixing some bread soda with castor oil and rubbing it on after milking. It seems to dry out the wart and they blacken and scab off after a week or so. Big ones take longer but at least I see progress and it keep's me busy!

Used castor oil on its own and stick a finger of a glove on the tit, think it's about smothering the wart of air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

15K a year!!! why anyone picks up smoking i dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

He must be fair ratty. :eek:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

ganmo wrote: »

Peer pressure I suppose and then adduction kicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

ganmo wrote: »

I suppose why does anyone do anything...

Often it’s only when you pull the plug you can see the money side of it...

As for the health aide - no one thinks they’ll get cancer, or killed in a car accident, or killed by a bull...

So we all carry on doing what we do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I suppose why does anyone do anything...

Often it’s only when you pull the plug you can see the money side of it...

As for the health aide - no one thinks they’ll get cancer, or killed in a car accident, or killed by a bull...

So we all carry on doing what we do...
    I think most people would have more sympathy for someone who dies in a farm accident or car crash than a heavy smoker who gets lung cancer though don't you think? Was at maternity hospital lately and always a few women outside smoking, you'd nearly feel like telling them to cop themselves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    I think most people would have more sympathy for someone who dies in a farm accident or car crash than a heavy smoker who gets lung cancer though don't you think? Was at maternity hospital lately and always a few women outside smoking, you'd nearly feel like telling them to cop themselves on.

Would most of the older smokers have been brought up in a society that advertised smoking as freely and as easy as bars of chocolate. I don't smoke. Never have never will. Think twice before you type. We've all been touched by cancer one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I'll give that a shot. There's some heifers with warts at the end of the teat so I want to try and get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See a mushroom farm in tipperary has temporarily closed down due to covid. I know nothing about mushrooms but would they not need to be harvested each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

See a mushroom farm in tipperary has temporarily closed down due to covid. I know nothing about mushrooms but would they not need to be harvested each day?

Thought they came in a flush and needed clearing rather than grazing over them. But I’ve only stood in a house once in early 80’s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, two flushes TMK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement