Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Reggie. wrote: »
    Plenty of fields of ragworth around the midlands unfortunately

Going to be 2 less fields shortly. Have organised a lad to come and pull it in 2 fields for me. Himself and the wife will rock up tomorrow and tear into it. Pair of them are serious people to work. They've spent the last couple of weeks picking stones for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Odelay wrote: »
    What excuses did they use? Was it "we are only going to over there", or was it the "right to roam carp"?

the one that sticks out was
    'i'm feeling weak so let me take this shortcut'

this group had maps, compasses etc so they were not lost and they decided to take a rougher way than what I suggested so the 'i'm feeling weak' was not a runner

• Registered Users Posts: 21,166 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Seeds quiz here in the journal;
    https://www.thejournal.ie/seed-quiz-5169266-Aug2020/

Any self respecting farmer should know most of the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Water John wrote: »
    Seeds quiz here in the journal;
    https://www.thejournal.ie/seed-quiz-5169266-Aug2020/

Any self respecting farmer should know most of the answers.

8 outta ten

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's irony in this post coming from a poster on an anonymous forum.
    But bear with me there is a point.

I was reading the coronavirus thread on this forum and there was a tweet copied and pasted from a tweeter called Danny Boy. I doubt Danny is their real name. All what was in their Twitter thread was taken as gospel. It seems all you have to have nowadays is a coherent content but be anonymous and it will be taken as fact.
    Now that's not to say Social Media users who give their real name are not adverse to giving their own version of the truth and using Social media to further themselves and to change other people's thought. The name they're called which they will use themselves as it gives authority is a "Social Media influencer". Yes it's a real thing and the sad fact from that means people can be influenced by what someone with popularity preaches.
    This is all not new though. Years ago I watched a documentary about a government opposition rally in Bolivia. National television had it as a non event with about twenty people attending. CNN had it as a mass gathering of well over a thousand. Who was correct? The documentary showed a version where by computer graphics CNN increased that twenty to a thousand people on a street.
    Whether CNN did it or a media agency below them doesn't matter. The documentary doesn't even matter.

Fact is manipulation is rife nowadays with everyone out for themselves.
    Don't be the follower. We're all equal with equal thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,514 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’re all equal surely.
    But of course that doesn’t mean we’re equally knowledgeable on a topic. Covid Karen screaming that masks are starving us of oxygen shouldn’t have equal weight on the topic as a qualified scientist who says that they don’t in fact starve us of oxygen.

As my kids spend more time online one thing I try and get them to thinking is “what’s the angle here” why is this person saying this ?? Do they actually know this, do they just beleive this? Or will they or someone else gain from you beleiveing this ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

_Brian wrote: »
    We’re all equal surely.
    But of course that doesn’t mean we’re equally knowledgeable on a topic. Covid Karen screaming that masks are starving us of oxygen shouldn’t have equal weight on the topic as a qualified scientist who says that they don’t in fact starve us of oxygen.

they starve the virus of the "oxygen" it neeeds to survive (us as hosts). Facebook is a terrible site the past few years and getting worse. Very negative and full of fake news

_Brian wrote: »
    We’re all equal surely.

As my kids spend more time online one thing I try and get them to thinking is “what’s the angle here” why is this person saying this ?? Do they actually know this, do they just beleive this? Or will they or someone else gain from you beleiveing this ??
    Maybe we shouldn't give as much credence to qualified "experts" as we do in today's society either.
    I know that's an awkward thing to say and I'm just awkward.
    An expert is an expert till that thing goes wrong. History has taught us that none of us are 100% correct and experts can have agendas too.

Yea I'm off to a join a hippy commune now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,514 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Maybe we shouldn't give as much credence to qualified "experts" as we do in today's society either.
    An expert is an expert till that thing goes wrong. History has taught us that none of us are 100% correct and experts can have agendas too.

I think we need to follow the best known science on a topic but be open to change.

There’s a massive difference in say a change in the understanding of a science through facts and research than say Covid Karen whaling and screaming that not only do masks deprive you of oxygen but also cause Co2 poisoning because she saw it on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,708 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Remember there's only one reality. I keep telling myself that. You would like to think that reasonable people will always prevail.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's irony in this post coming from a poster on an anonymous forum.
    But bear with me there is a point.

I was reading the coronavirus thread on this forum and there was a tweet copied and pasted from a tweeter called Danny Boy. I doubt Danny is their real name. All what was in their Twitter thread was taken as gospel. It seems all you have to have nowadays is a coherent content but be anonymous and it will be taken as fact.
    Now that's not to say Social Media users who give their real name are not adverse to giving their own version of the truth and using Social media to further themselves and to change other people's thought. The name they're called which they will use themselves as it gives authority is a "Social Media influencer". Yes it's a real thing and the sad fact from that means people can be influenced by what someone with popularity preaches.
    This is all not new though. Years ago I watched a documentary about a government opposition rally in Bolivia. National television had it as a non event with about twenty people attending. CNN had it as a mass gathering of well over a thousand. Who was correct? The documentary showed a version where by computer graphics CNN increased that twenty to a thousand people on a street.
    Whether CNN did it or a media agency below them doesn't matter. The documentary doesn't even matter.

Fact is manipulation is rife nowadays with everyone out for themselves.

I posted that tweet so I'll explain the relevance of it.

I feel it was a counter narrative to the prevailing narrative on most of the media atm that the fault lies with management on the affected sites.

Tbh, I doubt anything explaining the infection rates being due to the atmosphere and temperatures rather than the management and type of work going on in the factories is going to appear on RTE anytime soon seeing as it could be construed as being pro animal agriculture and would upset the pro vegan culture fostered in RTE currently.

And seeing as it appears to be a German government conducted investigation and all the relevant management procedures and practices were fully complied with, it would seem to indicate that the current practices aren't working in meat processing and will probably not work in many of the industrial food preparation workplaces.

We're living in a post truth society, it seems, and we have an obligation to seek out much of the information ourselves. And, tbh, I would be more inclined to believe wee Danny on this subject than our national media service.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

One thing to ask when an "expert" offers an opinion is: What impact will following this advice have on the expert?

That is, do they have skin in the game? Or will they impacted at all?

This is what makes it easy for Teagasc to try new things. Poor results will not impact their monthly salary. However, private advisors have more skin in the game as they might lose clients if they advise something that doesn't work. So, I'd be more inclined to listen to a private guy.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

One thing to ask when an "expert" offers an opinion is: What impact will following this advice have on the expert?

That is, do they have skin in the game? Or will they impacted at all?

This is what makes it easy for Teagasc to try new things. Poor results will not impact their monthly salary. However, private advisors have more skin in the game as they might lose clients if they advise something that doesn't work. So, I'd be more inclined to listen to a private guy.

I'd say the healthiest way to look at both groups is to be of the opinion that there's no such thing as independent research.
    If you have that opinion you shouldn't really go too far wrong.
    The biggest trouble for Ireland ag Inc and Ag farmer worldwide Inc is there's no history of litigation and comeback for the farmer when advice given proves to be harmful.
    It's the wild west worldwide on advising farmers on what to do and what product to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

emaherx wrote: »
    Just finished wrapping the last couple of bales for the year.

Cut am. Baled and stacked pm.
    Looks like heavy rain this evening too, so might have gotten away with it. They'll not be the best bales we've made but we've baled worse.

Just reading about mob grazing - is it a fad or is there something in it?
    Our land is all split into fields with drinkers - but split across a few locations. It is not something that I think would work with us - grazing a field for 24hrs and then letting it lie for 6 months - even if we did split the fields down with a fencer.
    Rotational seems a better fit. Normally the cattle would eat down the grass before moving on, but after reclaiming some ground I'm wondering should we do something 'a bit more modern'. Although the boss probably would go mad at moving the cattle on from a field with grazing left in it!

Anyone else doing any form of mob/rotational grazing? Would be good to hear some opinions on how it works here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,708 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If stick with rotational grazing. I think the advocates of mob grazing haven't copped on to rotational grazing yet. They're just moving away from set stocking. Most of the time, cover to counteract drought would also come into it for them

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

If stick with rotational grazing. I think the advocates of mob grazing haven't copped on to rotational grazing yet. They're just moving away from set stocking. Most of the time, cover to counteract drought would also come into it for them

I thought mob grazing was more for the outback or rangeland where the grasses wouldn't be as growthy as what we have.
    I reckon the best place for a mob type grazing would actually be the hills that are on the verge of been overgrown.

Our land is all split into fields with drinkers - but split across a few locations. It is not something that I think would work with us - grazing a field for 24hrs and then letting it lie for 6 months - even if we did split the fields down with a fencer.
    Rotational seems a better fit. Normally the cattle would eat down the grass before moving on, but after reclaiming some ground I'm wondering should we do something 'a bit more modern'. Although the boss probably would go mad at moving the cattle on from a field with grazing left in it!

Anyone else doing any form of mob/rotational grazing? Would be good to hear some opinions on how it works here.

Not doing it but I'd say it'd only suit suckler cow farming.

Where I fed hay bales in 2018 with the ring feeder there's still an noticeable postive difference in grass where the hay fed got mucked into the ground.
    Those areas would need zero fertilization after even two years on.
    So there is merit in walking stuff into the soil. But I'd say it would want to be like standing hay to be of benefit and to last in the soil.

I doubt the rotation would need to be six months though. :pac:
    If it is a long rotation a need to dose for internal parasites should be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Am kinda at the same place as yourself - but interested in half giving mob grazing a go, prob be next year before I get organised enough...

As ganmo called out below - I especially want to try in some half rough glen that I have.

Will it work or suit me - no idea. But sure it’s something new to be messing with... and it shouldn’t cost that much, poly wire and plastic posts and maybe some water piping...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Am kinda at the same place as yourself - but interested in half giving mob grazing a go, prob be next year before I get organised enough...

As ganmo called out below - I especially want to try in some half rough glen that I have.

Will it work or suit me - no idea. But sure it’s something new to be messing with... and it shouldn’t cost that much, poly wire and plastic posts and maybe some water piping...

I'm not too sure it would work with ryegrass based swards.

I think it would be fairly similar to feeding average to poor quality silage.

I reckon a wider mix of species might work better

• Advertisement

I'm not too sure it would work with ryegrass based swards.

I think it would be fairly similar to feeding average to poor quality silage.

I reckon a wider mix of species might work better

Half the grass would be fairly old permanent pasture, no ryegrass really...
    The ones that were ryegrass have had the ryegrass mostly bet out of them by little fertiliser, and poor management overall...

I doubt the rotation would need to be six months though. :pac:

Typically 4 - 6 weeks, but it can be defined as 6 - 12 months, although that is a USA definition, so the 4 - 6 week window is more valid here. Not sure why that stuck in my head when doing the thread though.
    The definition of mob grazing is subjective, but typically includes using extremely high stocking rates (100 head or more per ha) for short periods of time (moving every 12 or 24 h) [15] followed by recovery periods of 6–12 months.
    https://www.intechopen.com/books/forage-groups/mob-vs-rotational-grazing-impact-on-forage-use-and-artemisia-absinthium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Fecking checking the cattle this evening- a cow had got caught in some wire by a stream and seems to have drowned. Disgusted with myself as was due to move them yesterday evening but decided to do a bit of topping instead and said I’d move them today:

When I went to move them. Noticed her missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Fecking checking the cattle this evening- a cow had got caught in some wire by a stream and seems to have drowned. Disgusted with myself as was due to move them yesterday evening but decided to do a bit of topping instead and said I’d move them today:

Christ that’s bad luck.....:cattle can be like sheep sometimes in the wonderful ways they injure or kill them selves.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Christ that’s bad luck.....:cattle can be like sheep sometimes in the wonderful ways they injure or kill them selves.

Just the year- 2 calves and a cow- 2 sections out of a small herd. Had no losses for 4 years.

She was 4 star for beef scheme. Just enough for schemes now

Typically 4 - 6 weeks, but it can be defined as 6 - 12 months, although that is a USA definition, so the 4 - 6 week window is more valid here. Not sure why that stuck in my head when doing the thread though.

https://www.intechopen.com/books/forage-groups/mob-vs-rotational-grazing-impact-on-forage-use-and-artemisia-absinthium

I think they say to make the rotation as long as possible, so there is good grass there to trample in...

I dunno, i’ll give it a go anyways on some piece of ground and see what happens...

Mac Taylor wrote: »

Just the year- 2 calves and a cow- 2 sections out of a small herd. Had no losses for 4 years.

She was 4 star for beef scheme. Just enough for schemes now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭50HX

Ah that's rotten luck

You could stay up at night with em and something would still happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Tough year for ya - I'd remember your recent posts as I'd have some of the same challenges as you.
    Keep the head up, there's worse behind you.

• Advertisement

Ah shur i know. There is definitely worse. My sister buried her husband in October and my Brother his baby in March.

Cattle are a drop in the ocean in comparison.

Where you've lifestock, you've dead stock.

I wont replace her I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement