Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,104 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If anybody wants a business to support when those is all over...
    https://twitter.com/MichelleMckM/status/1238173333004464128?s=19

Good on'em, some difference in folkss
    I came across a post elsewhere on boards where a teacher declared they wouldn't use their good computer or home to work.for the greater good, I needn't tell you I quietly wished the virus on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

It was probably Tom Hanks were you in contact with.
    Himself and the wife have been confirmed with covid and are self isolating in Queensland.

Gone to the more temperate climate a bit further down to self isolate with 50 other backpackers

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Gone to the more temperate climate a bit further down to self isolate with 50 other backpackers

Good on ya.
    I knew someday you'd be starting a cult. :D

*that does sound very cultish and communish though.

Ah shure it's what we all wished we could have done at some stage. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

whelan2 wrote: »
    That'll probably be 5 weeks off :eek:

Realistically the schools won’t open till September again

Good on ya.
    I knew someday you'd be starting a cult. :D

*that does sound very cultish and communish though.

Ah shure it's what we all wished we could have done at some stage. :pac:

Great time to travel at the minute prices dropped in a few tourist towns due to the virus. Not one of the group have a worry about the virus and were just laughing at the overreaction and mass hysteria at the other side of the world.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Panch18 wrote: »
    Realistically the schools won’t open till September again

It's the exam kids that I feel sorry for.

I think people need to realise that we are going to have thousands upon thousands of cases, maybe hundreds of thousands and maybe even 1-2 million

It will need to be something dramatic and unexpected for this not to happen

Great time to travel at the minute prices dropped in a few tourist towns due to the virus. Not one of the group have a worry about the virus and were just laughing at the overreaction and mass hysteria at the other side of the world.

Hmmm. You can laugh if you wish but a huge amount of people in Ireland are going to get it, and thousands will die from it, if it progresses at anything like the expected rate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Will this virus go dormant again or will it stay knocking around like the flu and flare up every so often?

It's the exam kids that I feel sorry for.

The exams might no happen, at the usual time anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Will this virus go dormant again or will it stay knocking around like the flu and flare up every so often?

Ya, I've been trying to find out myself, at what point does a healthy person that gets the virus, when do they stop shedding the virus. I've been googling it and I don't think they know.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Some pr stunt.

Is the grub not great there:confused:? I only ever ate in O Connors in Doolin.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,220 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Up to three quarters of the transmission happens before you show symptoms, you then continue to shed after first symptoms for 3/4 days. The isolation time in the UK is 7 days, 14 days here.

The transmission before symptoms is a real problem and it's why the hand washing and social ettiquete are so important.

Panch18 wrote: »
    I think people need to realise that we are going to have thousands upon thousands of cases, maybe hundreds of thousands and maybe even 1-2 million

It will need to be something dramatic and unexpected for this not to happen

Everyone is going to get it. Everyone.

It'll be genetics, demographics, pre existing health conditions, nutrition, and severity of mutations of the virus that decide how your body copes with it.

The actions now are to just not overwhelm the hospitals with cases all at once but to spread them out over the year.

Ya, I've been trying to find out myself, at what point does a healthy person that gets the virus, when do they stop shedding the virus. I've been googling it and I don't think they know.

Other viruses can go dormant in people's systems for years till it decides it wants to break out again. The same outside the body they can quite happily live outside the host for years.

There's no getting away from it. Whether it was naturally made in a wet market in Wuhan or in a lab in Wuhan by someone playing around this virus has now become part of the viral life and ultimately soil life all over the globe now and is with us forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

U.K. Scientists on Sky said that “most” people are at their peak spread just as they show symptoms and for three days, by day five the spread from them has greatly reduced and “most” are suitable to go back to work after seven days.

The truth is as of yet nobody knows if there will be a seasonal drop in cases as is seen with most but not all flu type viruses. Some information suggests that if that is the case then we will not see the real peak until next November or December.

Currently we are running at about 3% death rates here. It’s really too early to look at the statistics of the death rates as the numbers are so low overall.

But if this were to continue it would be a catastrophe of epic proportions.

It was telling in the U.K. press conference that they acknowledged that although they have something like 650 confirmed cases, they said they could have as many as 10,000 actual cases out there right now !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

blue5000 wrote: »

Its ok. I'd go to O'Connor's if I wanted something to eat in doolin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭orm0nd

blue5000 wrote: »

was at a wedding there & thought it was tops,

having said that , there was quite a bit of liquid intake as well, :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Melbourne Grand Prix and Patricks day cancelled as of today.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Everyone is going to get it. Everyone.

It'll be genetics, demographics, pre existing health conditions, nutrition, and severity of mutations of the virus that decide how your body copes with it.

The actions now are to just not overwhelm the hospitals with cases all at once but to spread them out over the year.

I dunno about that. Where did you read that?
    Surely if you create a barrier to the virus, via social isolation, then the virus will die out. The way I see it the times are as follow;

Virus lives of shiny surface - 2 days
    Person picks up virus to getting infected - 4 days
    Person gets sick - 2 days
    Person continues to shed virus - 4 days

Total life cylce - 12 days

If everyone isolated for 12 days or more, then virus is killed.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

There's a shortage of sausages. Of all things I didn't expect that. Also supermarkets very short on baby supplies

Surely if you create a barrier to the virus, via social isolation, then the virus will die out. The way I see it the times are as follow;

The uk are saying to isolate for 7 days. I suppose it7 days from diagnosis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Staying away from people is the only option at the minute. Give it a couple of weeks and it should be mostly died out. BUT, we need everyone to be on board or it's not going to work. Look at the crowds of people going mad in shops. All piled in on top of each other. I've said it before, and I'll repeat, the vast majority of people are stupid

It's the standard op for viruses.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/virus-human6.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The uk are saying to isolate for 7 days. I suppose it7 days from diagnosis

Bloomberg had a study saying it takes 35 days to clear the system from first contact

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

_Brian wrote: »
    Currently we are running at about 3% death rates here. It’s really too early to look at the statistics of the death rates as the numbers are so low overall.

But if this were to continue it would be a catastrophe of epic proportions.

Theres other consequences delayed surgerys,isolation and economy tanking which leads to more deaths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

This is not a standard virus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mooooo wrote: »
    Bloomberg had a study saying it takes 35 days to clear the system from first contact
    Updated this morning, Mooooo, and still found up to 37 days after initial infection with a median of being found 20 days after initial infection.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-12/coronavirus-can-live-in-patients-for-five-weeks-after-contagion?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_medium=social&cmpid=socialflow-facebook-business&utm_content=business&fbclid=IwAR3oXO5dMFczYduwJDAB5FXJbrmfkoCQqm6kvHYfXkz7s-Kud34JRwRu5jU

It's going to be a tough one to avoid contracting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement