Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the end of Democrat front runner Joe Biden?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

the polls say otherwise
    Yes, I already addressed that.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Bad news for Biden... The economy is bouncing back.

And it remains perplexing that urban areas continually vote for democrats. Is it something in the water? The poorest areas of the cities are plagued with poverty, violence, and crime, and almost all of them have democrat mayors. They’re also hampered with high taxes and excessive regulations that keep companies. The culture of violence and crime keep these neighbors in poverty. And the democrats have done nothing to improve the inner-city struggles. Today it is so much worse with the violent protests. Democrats don't seem to what to do anything but talk about defunding police. Do people not realize businesses will move out, taking jobs with them and exasperating the poverty situation, and it will take years if not decades for businesses to come back to the areas now subjected to destruction and mayhem. Nothing seems to ever get better for them, so why do they continually vote for democrats? Do they not want a better life?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

notobtuse wrote: »

And it remains perplexing that urban areas continually vote for democrats. Is it something in the water? The poorest areas of the cities are plagued with poverty, violence, and crime, and almost all of them have democrat mayors. They’re also hampered with high taxes and excessive regulations that keep companies. The culture of violence and crime keep these neighbors in poverty. And the democrats have done nothing to improve the inner-city struggles. Today it is so much worse with the violent protests. Democrats don't seem to what to do anything but talk about defunding police. Do people not realize businesses will move out, taking jobs with them and exasperating the poverty situation, and it will take years if not decades for businesses to come back to the areas now subjected to destruction and mayhem. Nothing seems to ever get better for them, so why do they continually vote for democrats? Do they not want a better life?

Says a lot for the Republicans that despite all you've rattled off, poor people will still vote Democrat.

It's almost like they have a complete distrust for the GOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

“Bouncing” - eh, looking at the tickers it’s more of a dribble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Overheal wrote: »
    “Bouncing” - eh, looking at the tickers it’s more of a dribble.

1.5 million more unemployment claims in the last week. Unemployment rate, adjusted, now around 16%. For those keeping track, the 1.5 million is more than 2x the all-time high (1982, 625k) pre-Covid.

The only bounce is a dead cat bounce at this point it seems.

Kudlow said it's all going great in the economy the other day. That's the harbinger of doom for me. Soon as the re-intensification of the Covid pandemic (not a second wave - that assumes there was a first one that's crested), hits a wider slice of the populace like it's showing every sign of doing, it's down the drain again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

I've lived in the US for 25 years, the most impoverished states in this country are red states, look at the deep south and midwest, these are the poorest regions in the country and are heavily subsidized by tax payers from the "liberal" blue coastal states. Tax policy is set at the federal level and is heavily oriented towards increasing the wealth of the already wealthy. Look at Trump's tax bill from two years ago - it did absolutely zilch for the working and middle class while giving vast tax breaks to the top 1% of earners and corporations.

Republicans are also responsible for loading the supreme court with right wing ideologists who have passed laws allowing unlimited amounts of dark money to fund campaigns. That is why we have candidates like Trump, Hillary and Biden. I really don't love Biden as a candidate but he is going to win simply because he is not an incompetent loudmouth narcissist, which is all that Trump is.

If you think that Trump is going to be re-elected then you obviously aren't following either the national or state based polling. Trump is underwater by wide margins in virtually all of the swing states he needs to win and his numbers are getting worse by the week. The economy was not doing well here even before covid 19. While unemployment was low most of the jobs in this country barely pay a subsistence income - over 50% of Americans have less than $1,000 in savings and for me that says it all.

Take a look at this map based on recent polling, it shows that Trump has a hell of a mountain to climb to come within spitting distance of winning in November. Trump has his minority of supporters whose main motivation seems to be pissing off liberals instead of looking after their own interests, but the middle class, women, minorities and suburban voters have all had it up to the eye teeth with him.

biden-trump-polling-map.png

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Says a lot for the Republicans that despite all you've rattled off, poor people will still vote Democrat.

It's almost like they have a complete distrust for the GOP.
    Completely agree. It boggles the mind and makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ahh this is where you bounced to? Did you ever get around to watching those 90 seconds of video? I'd really love to hear your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Unless everything you have said is utter nonsense.

Then it makes complete sense no?

I've lived in the US for 25 years, the most impoverished states in this country are red states, look at the deep south and midwest, these are the poorest regions in the country and are heavily subsidized by tax payers from the "liberal" blue coastal states. Tax policy is set at the federal level and is heavily oriented towards increasing the wealth of the already wealthy. Look at Trump's tax bill from two years ago - it did absolutely zilch for the working and middle class while giving vast tax breaks to the top 1% of earners and corporations.

Republicans are also responsible for loading the supreme court with right wing ideologists who have passed laws allowing unlimited amounts of dark money to fund campaigns. That is why we have candidates like Trump, Hillary and Biden. I really don't love Biden as a candidate but he is going to win simply because he is not an incompetent loudmouth narcissist, which is all that Trump is.

If you think that Trump is going to be re-elected then you obviously aren't following either the national or state based polling. Trump is underwater by wide margins in virtually all of the swing states he needs to win and his numbers are getting worse by the week. The economy was not doing well here even before covid 19. While unemployment was low most of the jobs in this country barely pay a subsistence income - over 50% of Americans have less than $1,000 in savings and for me that says it all.

Take a look at this map based on recent polling, it shows that Trump has a hell of a mountain to climb to come within spitting distance of winning in November. Trump has his minority of supporters whose main motivation seems to be pissing off liberals instead of looking after their own interests, but the middle class, women, minorities and suburban voters have all had it up to the eye teeth with him.

biden-trump-polling-map.png
    Trumps tax cuts did help the average person. And the help to the rich propelled them to create jobs that helped the middle class and poor bringing down unemployment.
    Clinton's unsuccessful campaign ($768 million in spending) outspent Trump's successful one ($398 million) by nearly 2 to 1. The Democratic National Committee and left-leaning outside groups also outspent their Republican counterparts by considerable margins.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/04/14/somebody-just-put-a-price-tag-on-the-2016-election-its-a-doozy/

There goes the dark money helping Trump claim.

Trump is down now in the polls because of the coronavirus and the election is an eon away in political terms. With the economy coming back so will Trumps numbers.

What is Biden promising to do as president, and deal with the cornavirus?

Unfortunately for the democrats, their media handmaidens won't be able to control the narrative once the debates start.

• Advertisement

Trumps tax cuts did help the average person. And the help to the rich propelled them to create jobs that helped the middle class and poor bringing down unemployment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/04/14/somebody-just-put-a-price-tag-on-the-2016-election-its-a-doozy/

Trump is down now in the polls because of the coronavirus and the election is an eon away in political terms. With the economy coming back so will Trumps numbers.

Unfortunately for the democrats, their media handmaidens won't be able to control the narrative once the debates start.

How does your link disprove the fact that dark money is contributing to US politics? I didn't say that it was only supporting Trump, I listed Trump, Hillary and Biden as all candidates that benefited from it. The Citizens United ruling on the supreme court was the result of right wing judges on the court deciding that money can be donated anonymously to political action committees. The vast majority of that money goes to republican candidates or "centrist" democrats who are not interested in changing the corporate status quo in this country.

Trumps was underwater in all of the swing state polls long before Covid 19 happened. His botched response obviously hasn't helped, and the fact that it's reasonable to expext that over 200,000 Americans will have died by election day is not exactly going to help him either.

All of that aside though, reasonable people have just had enough of him. Most people now realize that he is an idiot who can't string a sentence together and only cares about himself. The Bolton book reinforces that, so does his niece's, and so does all the endless crap he posts on Twitter every day. The republicans got destroyed in the mid-terms in 2018 and things have only gotten worse for them since then. See ya in November.

Cherry-picking: both parties benefitted from dark money, including Trump. His campaign and dark money groups in support spent nearly $1Bn in 2016; $1.4B for Hillary. They’re at least tied if you were to valuate the amount of free press Trump got from doing interviews etc. and phoning in to Fox News all day - the New York Times analyzed this to be equivalent to $2Bn in free advertising for Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/2016-election/campaign-finance/

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/upshot/measuring-donald-trumps-mammoth-advantage-in-free-media.html

/QUOTE]

Actually Trump's tax cut's didn't do either of the things you claim. Take a look at the below article from that notorious left wing rag Business Insider where they illustrate using actual data that his tax cuts did nothing for the vast amount of Americans apart from add two trillion dollars to the nation debt:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/7-charts-showing-trump-tax-cuts-not-economic-rocket-fuel-2019-12-1028780773

Ahh this is where you bounced to? Did you ever get around to watching those 90 seconds of video? I'd really love to hear your opinion.

Yes I did. Outlaw Pete was kind enough to research my problem and provided me links to resolve the issue. Still can't see videos in Twitter posts or news stories but he thinks he found a solution for that too, but I haven't tried it yet.

What did I think of the videos? Much ado about noting. He has a quirky way of sometimes drinking from a glass or bottle. Simply that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,157 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes I did. Outlaw Pete was kind enough to research my problem and provided me links to resolve the issue. Still can't see videos in Twitter posts or news stories but he thinks he found a solution for that too, but I haven't tried it yet.

What did I think of the videos? Much ado about noting. He has a quirky way of sometimes drinking from a glass or bottle. Simply that.

requiring two hands to lift a glass or bottle to your mouth is beyond a quirk. he isn't doing it because he wants to he is doing it because he has to.

any comment on trumps team using nazi symbology in a tweet?

requiring two hands to lift a glass or bottle to your mouth is beyond a quirk. he isn't doing it because he wants to he is doing it because he has to.

tumblr_m2z7yf8LVz1r1zn4oo4_250.gif

Overheal wrote: »
    tumblr_m2z7yf8LVz1r1zn4oo4_250.gif

i'm quite happy with symbology thanks

i'm quite happy with symbology thanks

:mad:

I would enjoy debating you on this subject in the proper thread, but alas, that is not to be. Perhaps once the craziness calms down and the world gets back to normal the mods will issue one of those amnesty declarations. Until then I guess I’ll have to concentrate on Biden and his party’s failures, shortcomings, and ideas that are bad for America, here.

(I find it perplexing that some of the posters, not you, who want to discuss with me here issues that belong in another thread... The thread those same users celebrated the cancel culture’s shallow victory. I must say I was blown away from the support from some on both sides of the debate. It warmed the heart.)

I would enjoy debating you on this subject in the proper thread, but alas, that is not to be. Perhaps once the craziness calms down and the world gets back to normal the mods will issue one of those amnesty declarations. Until then I guess I’ll have to concentrate on Biden and his party’s failures, shortcomings, and ideas that are bad for America, here.

(I find it perplexing that some of the posters, not you, who want to discuss with me here issues that belong in another thread... The thread those same users celebrated the cancel culture’s shallow victory. I must say I was blown away from the support from some on both sides of the debate. It warmed the heart.)

how so?

• Advertisement

how so?
    I was told to not post in the thread this subject belongs in. I don't want to partake in a thread derailment that would cause me not to be allowed to post here also. If you want to discuss these things then work to get me reinstated in the proper thread. Otherwise, best to move on.

I was told to not post in the thread this subject belongs in. I don't want to partake in a thread derailment that would cause me not to be allowed to post here also. If you want to discuss these things then work to get me reinstated in the proper thread. Otherwise, best to move on.

i wasnt aware you had been banned from that thread

micosoft wrote: »
    Unless everything you have said is utter nonsense.

Then it makes complete sense no?
    If it were utter nonsense, then yes, I guess. But I don't see anything in my post that would be considered utter nonsense, and instead just facts.

How does your link disprove the fact that dark money is contributing to US politics? I didn't say that it was only supporting Trump, I listed Trump, Hillary and Biden as all candidates that benefited from it. The Citizens United ruling on the supreme court was the result of right wing judges on the court deciding that money can be donated anonymously to political action committees. The vast majority of that money goes to republican candidates or "centrist" democrats who are not interested in changing the corporate status quo in this country.

Trumps was underwater in all of the swing state polls long before Covid 19 happened. His botched response obviously hasn't helped, and the fact that it's reasonable to expext that over 200,000 Americans will have died by election day is not exactly going to help him either.

All of that aside though, reasonable people have just had enough of him. Most people now realize that he is an idiot who can't string a sentence together and only cares about himself. The Bolton book reinforces that, so does his niece's, and so does all the endless crap he posts on Twitter every day. The republicans got destroyed in the mid-terms in 2018 and things have only gotten worse for them since then. See ya in November.
    With forced union dues and unions using those dues to contribute to democrats (democrats who actually negotiate pay and benifits with the unions), Citizen United makes sense. My point is that money, regardless of where it comes from, can't always buy an election. Trump's win, with half the spending of H Clinton, kinda proved that.

Also, do you have legit sources to back up your claim that the vast majority of PAC money goes to republican candidates or "centrist" democrats?

By the election I believe people will realize the coronavirus wasn't Trump fault, and Trump did more than any other country in trying to stop the flow of the Chinese virus from invading the country. I remember Biden saying what he would do regarding COVID-19, and the majority of his suggestions Trump had already implemented.

You've read the Bolton and nieces books?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,941 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is remarkable that it is the Democrats running an older candidate.
    It is more typical for them to have a younger candidate than the Republicans.

If you look at the list of oldest presidents or candidates, it is mostly Republicans (or their Whig predecessors).
    The oldest Democratic presidents were 60-somethings Andrew Jackson & James Buchanan in the 19th century.

Dole and McCain were in their 70s when they lost to Clinton and Obama, not just older but a generation older.

https://borgenproject.org/top-10-oldest-presidents/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Actually Trump's tax cut's didn't do either of the things you claim. Take a look at the below article from that notorious left wing rag Business Insider where they illustrate using actual data that his tax cuts did nothing for the vast amount of Americans apart from add two trillion dollars to the nation debt:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/7-charts-showing-trump-tax-cuts-not-economic-rocket-fuel-2019-12-1028780773
    Your article did not say the Tax Cuts didn't help. It only says it didn't quite reach the lofty goals Republicans aimed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

How much is Howie Hawkins (Greens) likely to take from Joe Biden? There is a lot of talks about Green new deals as a cover to pump lots of money surely some of that impacts the Greens brand recognition.

I currently don't see Bidens appeal beyond US voters who will always vote Democrat. Lets see what August turns up after the DNC convention. Where is the swing vote likely to go is the question?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,941 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I currently don't see Bidens appeal beyond US voters who will always vote Democrat. Lets see what August turns up after the DNC convention. Where is the swing vote likely to go is the question?

His appeal may be more the absence of a negative than the presence of a positive... what I mean is, swing voters don't have to swing to him, just not be concerned enough about him as President to vote for Trump. In the way that Hillary's "deplorables" came out to vote against her.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

How much is Howie Hawkins (Greens) likely to take from Joe Biden? There is a lot of talks about Green new deals as a cover to pump lots of money surely some of that impacts the Greens brand recognition.

I don’t think the green candidate will do much to take away from Biden. I think what he has more to worry about is Bernie Sanders supporters. Sanders kept his name on the primary ballot here in Pennsylvania in order to get some delegate for the convention, which will provide him a platform to push a portion of his leftist agenda. Sanders received 18% of democrat votes here in PA. If the DNC ignores or merely placates Sanders at the convention I can see a number of his supporters staying home on election day in protest (Sanders supporters would never vote for Trump).

• Advertisement

Joe can look forward to a lot of votes from Lincoln Republicans though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement