Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup Warmups IRE vs ITA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I miss Ferris

You've no idea my man...

*sobs gently*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I just watched a bit of the game back there, how good was Marmion at keeping a "poor" Italian back row on their toes as well as pressuring their 10??? He's a nailed on starter for at least the "weaker" games in the group but he could really push Murray for the starters spot IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clareman wrote: »
    I just watched a bit of the game back there, how good was Marmion at keeping a "poor" Italian back row on their toes as well as pressuring their 10??? He's a nailed on starter for at least the "weaker" games in the group but he could really push Murray for the starters spot IMHO.

L McGrath didnt do enough for me....I dont think he will travel.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Clareman wrote: »

McGrath was up against a fresh Italian side. They were more less out on their feet when Marmion got on.

Thought Luke went well but I think Joe likes Marmion and he’ll travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Apart from his support lines I don’t think Luke McGrath gets near any of marmion cooney or Murray. He looks good for Leinster but you could pretty much put any nine in there and they’d look good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I thought Marmion exposed gaps while McGrath fed the backs better. I would have liked to have seen Marmion and Carbury get a run out together from the start.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Apart from his support lines I don’t think Luke McGrath gets near any of marmion cooney or Murray. He looks good for Leinster but you could pretty much put any nine in there and they’d look good.

Leinster have 1 of the best back row in club rugby together with the best 10 in world rugby, the pressure any 9 would be under could crush anyone, don't underestimate the value in a 9, remember back when Italy decided to sacrifice their 9 for a back row cause you could put anyone in there? They got stuffed.

A competent 9 will support a great pack/backs, a bad 9 will destroy a team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

is there any channel showing highlights of this game this evening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redmca2

Murray needs to play well in some of the warm-up. He's living off his reputation from the Lions and the 2018 season. I think the gap between him and Marmion is betting narrower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

redmca2 wrote: »
    Murray needs to play well in some of the warm-up. He's living off his reputation from the Lions and the 2018 season. I think the gap between him and Marmion is betting narrower

It's not. It's really not.

I like Marmion. He's very good, better than McGrath and a lot better than Cooney who isn't good enough for Ulster let alone Ireland.

But the only thing that will keep Murray out of the Irish XV is injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Significant he is playing 12

Could one of Farrell Henshaw Aki Ringrose miss the cut?

Henshaw and Ringrose are shoe ins for Japan.
    Aki slightly behind but definitely going.
    Farrell is the next consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Did what you would expect from a winger, nothing stand out.

Which is exactly what Joe likes/wants!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Marmion looked really lively off the bench, I hope we actually get to see that in the bigger world cup games instead of flogging Murray for 80 minutes.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

McGrath saved two tries with his cover tackling.

There's a hell of a lot more to a 9 than his passing. I thought Luke did quite well but many wouldn't notice the above. He's one of the best covering 9s in Europe. He's excellent and he showed that today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's not. It's really not.

I like Marmion. He's very good, better than McGrath and a lot better than Cooney who isn't good enough for Ulster let alone Ireland.

But the only thing that will keep Murray out of the Irish XV is injury.

You reckon Cooney isn't good enough for Ulster? The guy who got player of the season in his first year there after RP left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

mfceiling wrote: »
    You reckon Cooney isn't good enough for Ulster? The guy who got player of the season in his first year there after RP left.

Maybe that's a bit harsh. I do think his ability as a scrum half is pretty average but he gets a lot of kudos for his goal-kicking.

That's not provincial pettiness btw, I don't care which of him or McGrath travels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

KaneToad wrote: »
    Which is exactly what Joe likes/wants!

That's like saying Joe wants tens that can kick or fullbacks that can catch a ball.
    There is doing the basics that your position requires and there is showing that you deserve a spot in the 31 over the competition for your position. DK did the first but not the second.

Maybe that's a bit harsh. I do think his ability as a scrum half is pretty average but he gets a lot of kudos for his goal-kicking.

That's not provincial pettiness btw, I don't care which of him or McGrath travels.

BOD says Cooney is best passer of ball after Murray

Yes he is a good kicker but he is also a good passer....plus he knows how to manage a team, he guides Ulster around the pitch ....

Well that’s not true....McGrath is a quality player and he works well for Leinster....is he World class? No but he will be in top 10 in Europe

No player can win the trophies he has won and be discounted as a nobody....look how important Leinster thought he was last season when he played a final on one leg

He just hasn’t had a chance with Ireland and yesterday he didn’t do enough to stand out and I don’t think he will travel

I think joe will just bring2 9s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Faugheen wrote: »
    McGrath saved two tries with his cover tackling.

There's a hell of a lot more to a 9 than his passing. I thought Luke did quite well but many wouldn't notice the above. He's one of the best covering 9s in Europe. He's excellent and he showed that today.

There is, but top level passing is very much in the "necessary but not sufficient" column. If you are passing the ball 80 times a match then nothing else you bring will make up for your passing not being at the right level.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Well that’s not true....McGrath is a quality player and he works well for Leinster....is he World class? No but he will be in top 10 in Europe

No player can win the trophies he has won and be discounted as a nobody....look how important Leinster thought he was last season when he played a final on one leg

He just hasn’t had a chance with Ireland and yesterday he didn’t do enough to stand out and I don’t think he will travel

Didn’t mean to sound like I was saying he’s a bad player or a nobody, he’d likely get in to most teams in the Pro14. He’s just not as good as the other three options. He’s been over hyped since he’s school days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

sioda wrote: »
    What happened Herring?

“Herring's back flared up early in the day and he left the field after only 16 minutes, replaced by Niall Scannell.”

injury reports after the match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

That has more to do with the fact that Nick McCarthy and Hugh O Sullivan were on the bench rather than McGrath being incredible or valuable. He's not a nobody obviously, but I personally don't see him travelling.

Didn’t mean to sound like I was saying he’s a bad player or a nobody, he’d likely get in to most teams in the Pro14. He’s just not as good as the other three options. He’s been over hyped since he’s school days.

He would walk into most teams in Europe.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

McGrath’s passing became dog slow by the 50th minute, he takes ages getting the ball away, which isn’t to bad in our own half when your looking to exit in a predetermined way, but in attack he slows things down to much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Podge_irl wrote: »
    There is, but top level passing is very much in the "necessary but not sufficient" column. If you are passing the ball 80 times a match then nothing else you bring will make up for your passing not being at the right level.

This is spot on. For me, McGrath probably has superior kicking and defence than Marmion but quality of pass is always going to be more important for your 9 and that's where Marmion is superior.

Was at the match, and the most noticeable change to me was the number of cross field grubbers that Carbery was putting in. Ringrose and Farrell as well kicked well a couple of times. Larmour kicked poorly once or twice. Larmour probably having the poorest outing of all the starters, I thought.

That has more to do with the fact that Nick McCarthy and Hugh O Sullivan were on the bench rather than McGrath being incredible or valuable. He's not a nobody obviously, but I personally don't see him travelling.

Think jgp will over take him at Leinster this season as he’s no longer part of that rule

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Surely that bit about Cooney is a joke. He was their player of the year last season

Think jgp will over take him at Leinster this season as he’s no longer part of that rule

Not sure, even when kolpack rule didn’t count they picked McGrath over JGP

It will be a good battle

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think McGrath will remain number 1 at Leinster. His passing isn't as bad as it is made out to be at times and the other elements of his game are just so good. His kicking is quality, his defensive work is as good as any scrum half anywhere else in the world, his support play is top notch and he's a real leader. His passing will hold him back at international level but at provincial it isn't really an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think McGrath will remain number 1 at Leinster. His passing isn't as bad as it is made out to be at times and the other elements of his game are just so good. His kicking is quality, his defensive work is as good as any scrum half anywhere else in the world, his support play is top notch and he's a real leader. His passing will hold him back at international level but at provincial it isn't really an issue.

Faf de Klerk is by far and away the best defensive 9 in the world, as diminutive as McGrath but there's a big difference between them for sure. Agree that he's a good provincial player and will probably stay number 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

is McGrath really that good? No.
    That he played final on one leg for leinster more to do with lack of options leinster had at 9 more than how good he is.
    He would walk into most teams in Europe.....
    no he wouldnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

KaneToad wrote: »
    Henshaw and Ringrose are shoe ins for Japan.
    Aki slightly behind but definitely going.
    Farrell is the next consideration.

I don't think farrell is travelling and he's a lot closer to Tom than bundee with henshaw slightly ahead and ringrose most important. Don't think we'll see 4 centres travel.

Really don’t see how Aki could possibly be behind Henshaw.
    It’s actually the other way around, and currently Farrell is breathing down Henshaw’s neck for the third centre place.
    If we only take 3 centres and Farrell continues to impress then Henshaw may have blown it in the England match in the 6Nations.
    If Henshaw could prove he can cover fullback then could potentially take 4 centres and 4 back-three players.
    At lest that way we could take 6 half-backs, assuming 14 backs are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Really don’t see how Aki could possibly be behind Henshaw.
    It’s actually the other way around, and currently Farrell is breathing down Henshaw’s neck for the third centre place.
    If we only take 3 centres and Farrell continues to impress then Henshaw may have blown it in the England match in the 6Nations.
    If Henshaw could prove he can cover fullback then could potentially take 4 centres and 4 back-three players.
    At lest that way we could take 6 half-backs, assuming 14 backs are going.

Henshaw will start the Scotland game. People have short memories. He’s a world class 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

No. Looks 50% capacity from in here. Just.

Maybe 40%

Attendance was 32,100 just after kick off. That is only tickets through stiles and not counting any tickets that were scanned using a handheld machine.

So the total would be nearer 34,000. Thats about 65%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Attendance was 32,100 just after kick off. That is only tickets through stiles and not counting any tickets that were scanned using a handheld machine.

So the total would be nearer 34,000. Thats about 65%.

Yeah that's fair I'd say. Plenty of late arrivals thankfully got a few more in. The lower tier was busy enough whist the top tier was fairly empty in parts.

I'd say the Wales game will pull a better attendance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I know it was first game back after the summer and it wasn't a full strength side yada yada but was a bit disappointed to see the same old ruck, one out runner, ruck, stationary one out runner, ruck, runner, ruck etc etc

I know all sides are better organised in defence but this format of attack has long been figured out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

lawred2 wrote: »
    I know it was first game back after the summer and it wasn't a full strength side yada yada but was a bit disappointed to see the same old ruck, one out runner, ruck, stationary one out runner, ruck, runner, ruck etc etc

I know all sides are better organised in defence but this format of attack has long been figured out

I actually thought we varied it a bit more than that, especially our kicking game. Carbery noticeably put in a number of cross-field grubbers. Farrell and Ringrose as well put in 1 or 2 good kicks. The occasional offload as well, thinking Kearney's try. You can never really read too much into these games, but I was happy enough seeing some sort of variation there.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,859 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

aloooof wrote: »
    I actually thought we varied it a bit more than that, especially our kicking game. Carbery noticeably put in a number of cross-field grubbers. Farrell and Ringrose as well put in 1 or 2 good kicks. The occasional offload as well, thinking Kearney's try. You can never really read too much into these games, but I was happy enough seeing some sort of variation there.

Agreed, especially in the first half...

one out runners off rucks is akin to a side ways pass in soccer... its something you do to move and draw the defense out of shape.

There was a lot more variation in carburys game on saturday than in the last game against wales. i was calling for a lot more kicking last week, including grubbers and dinks to turn the back line and we certainly saw a lot more.

I was actually impressed with larmours vision as well... twice he gave the final pass to the wingers in space where a year ago he may have gone himself.

• Advertisement

I think we showed a bit more variation further out the field - Carberry was putting the ball in behind effectively. And I'd agree one out runners moves defences around but it's not much good when it's predictable, slow and ends up with someone trying to dig a ball out on the back foot.. I saw that few times.

I did like Farrell's pass to Carberry however - at least that that was a little off script in that it was something somewhat unexpected

Do you think they are going to show their hand or any hand to the oppo prior to the world cup ?

Joe will have wanted to see this team and these players doing the basics and gelling as a team. It won't have helped having Carbury come off when he did just when Ireland were starting to get in to the run of the game. He'll have preferred a better scoreboard return I imagine as well. A good number of this team will likely play a strong roll in 2 if not 3 of the group games to preserve the quarter final team that Joe has in his head.

Ireland's two toughest games are their first two. Saturdays team will likely feature strongly against Russia and Samoa unless we've made a mess of the first two games. So they need to be showing Joe that they can get the result needed and do they jobs and roles he wants them to.

I really hope you weren't expecting to see a huge change to the performances in the six nations.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,859 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I did like Farrell's pass to Carberry however - at least that that was a little off script in that it was something somewhat unexpected

to be honest, that move was advertised 3 phases beforehand... a better defense would have seen that a mile off. Even the commentator called it before it happened.

great that both players were on song and the pass was pin perfect !

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

I think we showed a bit more variation further out the field - Carberry was putting the ball in behind effectively. And I'd agree one out runners moves defences around but it's not much good when it's predictable, slow and ends up with someone trying to dig a ball out on the back foot.. I saw that few times.

That pass was very much scripted I would say , same with Ruddock later on in game for a try

so in effect what you're saying is - is that I'm talking bollocks!

:)

Watched the match again,
    Front row were good in the scrums, but some bad line-outs, Porter knocked on Toner’s tap down once, Herring knocked one on in the early exchanges in open play, Scannell threw a few bad line-outs and gave away a silly penalty on the deck in our 22, Ryan was turned over on the ground, overall I’d say the video analysis will leave them in the firing line, none of them putting any pressure on the starters.

Second row were mixed, had a poor showing in the line outs on our ball and didn’t attack their ball at all.
    Toner looked like he isn’t match fit, and Kleyn made a few handling errors.
    The stats showed that Kleyn tackled well and scrummaged well too.
    Henderson didn’t stand out when he came on.

Back row, O’Donnell looked pacey a few times, but needed to have more of an impact on the deck to impress. Ruddock didn’t do anything special but seems to work hard. Murphy knocked on a few times and looked a bit out of his comfort zone for some reason. Conan has surpassed him as an 8 option for certain.
    Beirne made a good turnover when he came on and added to the line-out

Luke McGrath looked a bit slow at times, and Marmion really lifted the pace noticeably.
    Carbery probably gone for the RWC now sadly, but Carty looked good when he came on, very assured kicker from hand but missed a few from the tee.

Farrell was impressive, perhaps one of the most impressive on the day. Really putting pressure on Henshaw for a centre place.

Ringrose made a few unforced errors and missed an easy tackle surprisingly at one stage, so not his best game, but still looked lively and contributed to a lot of passing movements.

Dave Kearney had a shocker of a start not scoring the easy try opportunity, but he actually played really well after that.
    Conway was very good in the air, started poorly with a knock on but was very good after that.
    Larmour was caught for the high cross-field kick, only for the Italian knocking it on it would have been a try. Other than that he had a good game with a few tasty kicks behind Italy’s defensive line and he assisted a few tries.
    He could have passed a few times he went into contact but perhaps that is part of the game plan, he didn’t really make any breaks I can remember but he looked fit and eager to take on the ball.
    Haley didn’t impress when he came on and a bad forward pass will be a black mark in the video review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I maintain that Kearney did actually score that try. The defender did a remarkable job of kicking the ball before Kearney gathered, but after that it didn't come off Kearney arms or hands before he eventually got possession and grounded it

Whats the time stamp of that?

Just found it. The Italian player actually does kick it with his left foot. Kearney never grounds the ball after that though. Unless lying your back on the ball counts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Hi,

I've managed to get tickets to Wales game Sat 7th Sept.

I have only been to Aviva last November for a test game vs Argentina, plus a soccer game (arsenal vs chelsea - borefest!)

I'm a GAA fan first and foremost, but having moved to Dublin about 18 months ago now I'm trying to get into the rugby a little, and my girlfriend is a pretty big ireland fan.

Are there any bad seats in Aviva? I'm guessing it;s same as Croke Park - behind the goals is limited, sky high in upper stands you'll be looking at dots.

The tickets I've managed to get for Wales game are block 104 - lower east stand, 9&10. I've did a bit of looking on seat viewer on google and while they are close to the pitch and low down, should be grand.

The other choices I had were 313 premium level (in the corner) and also Block 525 upper stand row G. All face value. The girl I'm getting the tickets off of was on Toutless.ie website (I've used it since 2013 - great site with genuine supporters and only face value). She's asking €80 euro each for these 2x in block 104.

https://www.avivastadium.ie/getting-here/finding-your-seat https://www.avivastadium.ie/getting-here/finding-your-seat

Thanks in advance to a newbie! Also thinking of giving my local rugby club a try during the winter now in D15 - Coolmine. Never played, but I've been out of GAA now for a couple of years.

Advertisement