Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst scam you've fallen for

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Got scammed on eBay by a seller with 100 percent positive feedback and over 2000 ratings. They were selling expensive hair products for about 20 percent less than anywhere else online. Not at all unusual on eBay and great feedback relating to the specific products I purchased.

I never received the items. When I went to open a PayPal case I received a message advising me to skip attempting to communicate with the seller and go straight to filing a claim.

When I went to leave negative feedback I found that 73 other people had already done so before me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

Loaned a friend 600 Euro, said he will pay it back in a few weeks...still waiting 9 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

being a wage slave

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

sunbeam wrote: »
    Got scammed on eBay by a seller with 100 percent positive feedback and over 2000 ratings. They were selling expensive hair products for about 20 percent less than anywhere else online. Not at all unusual on eBay and great feedback relating to the specific products I purchased.

I never received the items. When I went to open a PayPal case I received a message advising me to skip attempting to communicate with the seller and go straight to filing a claim.

When I went to leave negative feedback I found that 73 other people had already done so before me.

You sure the ratings weren't fake? It's entirely possible that some scammers hire people to leave positive feedback.

It's also possible that he does what a few drug dealers on the dark web do, they deliver to buyers the legitimate product in order to receive enough good feedback and then they start scamming a small percentage of their new buyers

Probably lucky it wasnt a bloke :)

You'd have like that feminine penis though :D

derossi wrote: »
    Loaned a friend 600 Euro, said he will pay it back in a few weeks...still waiting 9 years later.

Could you take him to the small claims court or not? Was it actually a loan or a gift?

Pretty sure oral "loans" aren't considered loans at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

About 12 years ago I bought a new BMW in England. A few months later I decided to put in on Carzone to see if I would get any takers and try to make a healthy profit.

This guy starting emailing me straight away and making all the right noises. Asking questions, more pics etc. He then asked to see the registration papers and my ID to prove I owned it before he made the trip from Belfast. So emailed him copies (Yeah yeah I know...:o).

Heard no more and brushed it off as a time waster. Two issues arose:

1. The same ****er started advertising my car in another part of the country on Carzone and sending my pics and ID as proof. He was pretending to be me and trying to pull a fast one on would be buyers...:mad:

So then I was started getting calls via my legitimate ad saying that the same car was far sale in Dublin for half the price. Obviously now I had coped on so I had a weekly phone call to Carzone getting them to remove the fake ad. It would reappear a few days later and again me phoning. Continued for a few months. Actually once I pretended to be a buyer and that I had sent the money via Western Union to mess around with him. He even set up an email address in my name which was weird. So I sent him the most abusive racist email ever to let off some steam.

2. A few months later one of the local Guards called to the house. Basically some clown in Galway actually fell for the ad and actually wired €15k to the fraudster's bank account without seeing the car or anything. So of course he reported to the Guards and my ID and address came up.

Now I was never under suspicion or anything and I gave a full statement explaining the above and yes I was clown for sending my photo ID etc.

The Guards were only going through the motions. Money was in Nigeria and well gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Worlds Sharpest knife.
    it is sharp, but the blade is so thin its almost useless, bends with any sort of pressure.

A few:

1. I spent €250.00 on an elaborate penis extender kit that ended up in a skip within the month about 10 years ago;

2. The hooker who was a post op Male to Female. To be fair, I was sober and still wasn't 100% sure but it was. I can't say it was a terrible experience though. She was very pretty and a great body.

Many more will come to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

A few:

1. I spent €250.00 on an elaborate penis extender kit that ended up in a skip within the month about 10 years ago;

2. The hooker who was a post op Male to Female. To be fair, I was sober and still wasn't 100% sure but it was. I can't say it was a terrible experience though. She was very pretty and a great body.

Many more will come to mind.

There’s more? Than those? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

FFred wrote: »
    ‘Lending’ all my confirmation money to my mother in 1985

Turns out it wasn’t a ‘loan’ as I never got it back.... #bitter

My mother took my confirmation money in 1992 to 'put in the bank'.
    Five years later my brother was allowed spend his on a bike.

Almost 30 years later and she still thinks that the sun shines out of her golden boy's arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Three card trick before going into Fairyhouse when I was a teenager. €20 gone! That sickening, sinking feeling when you lose the money, greatest deterrent to gambling addiction I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

About 13 at the time got caught with the leather belt trick by the usual suspects at the annual point to point. £10 lost which was a fortune to me!
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    ??? How's that scam then.

I really want to know what this leather belt trick is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Came home one day and our Dad asked me to take a look at a letter he’d received that morning. It was a letter addressed to him congratulating him on his win in the National Spanish Lottery.

It was all written with official and professional looking graphics. To say he was delighted was putting it mildly. He’d “won” €250,000. He was cordially invited to ring the attached number in order to arrange collection of his winnings. Now this was a man who is a self-proclaimed genius so I let it go for a few minutes. I could have told him that the real Spanish lottery was “El Lottoria De Espana” or something and he’d have believed me so gullible he is. Knowing he’d never set foot on Spanish soil, I asked him “You never told us you’d been to Spain”. He said he hadn’t been there at all and so I said “So how the hell did manage to win the Spanish lottery so?” He was convinced he’d won and he was warned to not ring the number and to throw it in the bin. Ten years on, he probably still thinks he won.

I was intoxicated on a particular pharmaceutical remedy one night, walking back home through the city-centre in something of a zig-zag pattern , and was apprehended by a plain-clothes citizen with a strong inner-city accent who said his name was Garda John O'Brien. He ordered me to show him my backpack, and then turn around and face the wall. He then went through my pockets, and ordered me to sit on the ground.

Still feeling convivial from the night's proceedings, and grinning like I had an advanced case of tetanus, I decided to humour him, and sat cross-legged on the ground while he went rifling through my backpack. The strange thing is, I knew he wasn't a real Guard, but was in no mood for an argument to spoil my night. On some level, I think I even thought we might be friends and maybe this would be an amusing story I could tell at his wedding.

I was still capable of some cognitive tasks, however, because I did a quick mental inventory of what was in the bag -- nothing important, just a raincoat and a newspaper,and I deliberately don't carry a wallet (to avoid incidents like this), so no biggie. He went off empty-handed and I went home to bed.

I woke up next morning having forgotten the whole thing, after checking my personal phone, reached for my work phone. But It wasn't on the locker. It wasn't in the kitchen. Nor the bathroom, nor my jeans -- and then I saw the open, empty backpack on the floor. It turns out I really didn't have any basic cognitive intelligence, and of course I'd had my work phone out, and of course he'd stolen 700 euro of phone which was absolutely useless to him anyway, as it was locked. And the Guards* tell me that once it's blocked, it can't be unblocked unless the phone leaves Europe.

*Obviously I didn't tell them the whole story. In the sanitised version, it was an opportunistic pilfering.

I didn't get the phone back, and tbh, I didn't deserve to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

You sure the ratings weren't fake? It's entirely possible that some scammers hire people to leave positive feedback.

It's also possible that he does what a few drug dealers on the dark web do, they deliver to buyers the legitimate product in order to receive enough good feedback and then they start scamming a small percentage of their new buyers

You're right, they could have been. After my purchase I think there were only one or two more positive feedbacks and everything else was suddenly negative. They left me positive feedback after the goods were 'sent' so I didn't realise that something was up until a week or two later. After that there was a month of solely negative feedback and then there seemed to be no further activity on their account.

It definitely made me more cautious about purchasing on eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Belt is rolled up and you are asked to pick the centre -usually with a biro or something, the belt is then opened , and invariably you lose .
    The scam is switching the ends of the belt as it is unwound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

Could you take him to the small claims court or not? Was it actually a loan or a gift?

Pretty sure oral "loans" aren't considered loans at all.

It was a loan. He left the country not long after. Funny, he was back last week, saw him walking the town. It is a fair price to see what he is like. Will never get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

sunbeam wrote: »
    You're right, they could have been. After my purchase I think there were only one or two more positive feedbacks and everything else was suddenly negative. They left me positive feedback after the goods were 'sent' so I didn't realise that something was up until a week or two later. After that there was a month of solely negative feedback and then there seemed to be no further activity on their account.

It definitely made me more cautious about purchasing on eBay.

Happened to me recently with wireless earphones. Every day the battery lasted a little less until around 3 weeks later, they'd only last ten mins. The reviews were pretty much all good when I was looking at it on Amazon, possibly too good when I re-read them. Left a scathing review, but a couple of days later the page was gone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

Is there anyone who doesn’t get scammed in the whole cryptocurrency scam - apart from the scammers at the top of the ponzi of course?

Been a boon for me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

I slept with a transsexual :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

"Sign up to Boards" they said.
    "it'll make you wealthy beyond your wildest dreams" they said.

Fcukin con artists.
    Grumble grumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Once got given back stage passes to a Mariah concert....

There was no concert. But my god there is a Mariah!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Call over I'll show it to ye!!
    It's along the lines of the 3 card trick or the dice and the cups trick where they run it with a few "plants" first and suck in the innocent 3rd party,me.
    He'd roll the belt on it's edge into a coil and ask you to keep an eye on the loop. When he'd finish coiling it up he'd ask you to stick a biro into the loop and wager a tenner against his tenner that it was the closed loop. He'd pull away the belt and hey presto, the biro wouldn't be in the loop. Money gone.
    I'm sure it's on YouTube it's easily done when you see how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Call over I'll show it to ye!!
    It's along the lines of the 3 card trick or the dice and the cups trick where they run it with a few "plants" first and suck in the innocent 3rd party,me.
    He'd roll the belt on it's edge into a coil and ask you to keep an eye on the loop. When he'd finish coiling it up he'd ask you to stick a biro into the loop and wager a tenner against his tenner that it was the closed loop. He'd pull away the belt and hey presto, the biro wouldn't be in the loop. Money gone.
    I'm sure it's on YouTube it's easily done when you see how.

ah right. this con

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_and_Loose_(con_game)#How_it_works

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Yup, that's the one.Learnt a hard lesson that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Ben Done

Lux23 wrote: »
    I bought crystal MDMA from a couple of junkies once and it turned out to be crushed-up meanies.

I can picture you piercing the bag with the end of a knife like a cop in the movies, and tasting a bit...
    ..."Meanies"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,468 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I have just missed my train/bus and need 2 euro to get home, twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bought a fake, but professionally made (pressed, same matrix codes etc) copy of a relatively rare and hence expensive CD - for far less than it should have been so it should have been obvious really.

Think that's about it. Debit card was skimmed somewhere and they tried to buy phones on Expansys but Expansys refused the transaction - many phones, delivery address to card mismatch or whatever - and refunded the card - never told the bank; I noticed myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Prince in Nigeria

What can do you for sir?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I fall for that every time.

In fact I know. I just want to give it. I can't help it!

What can do you for sir?

YOUR MAJESTY! :p

*BOWS*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

I had the fella in Paris stop at some busy roundabout, I was like wtf...

He had come from a trade fare but he missed his flight or some stuff and would sell me all these wonderful designer clothes for a pittance.

Joke was on him I only had a €5 on me, he wasn't impressed, I gave him back all the clothes, didn't want to be carrying rags around Paris!

That's alright bud. It's happened to the best of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Had my wallet pickpocketed in NY though. Luckily I had left most of my Dollars in the safe and just cancelled my cards. He got about $5. In Barca I used carry my money in my sock and my card on the inside pocket of my shorts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

pgj2015 wrote: »

Had this very near Heuston Station, he'd missed his train for Belfast. 'Well of course you did, it leaves from Connolly'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Very dopubtful you did. You (tried to) had sex with it. Hope you didn't get the clap from it:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

G Shock wrote: »
    Bought a bit of hash off a fella in a pub down past Connolly station on the quays years ago (What could go wrong).
    He dissapeared with my 50 euro, and I was left with a square of Cadburys chocolate wrapped in tin foil...
    Bastard!

Not much of a buzz off that Turkish Delight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I am pretty tech savvy so was surprised to find myself so easily duped into buying the US visa ESTA off the first Google hit instead of making sure it was the real government site. To be fair I did do it in a rush and remember thinking man this site is ****ty but proceeding anyway.

Cue €140 charge instead of the 20 it was supposed to cost or thereabouts. The sites are clever, they look just like the real thing and do provide you with an esta so you are getting what you pay for. Managed to get it back minus the real esta fee after I asked them. I suspect for every 10 people that ask for their money back 1 doesn't, great scam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

Nodster wrote: »
    Not much of a buzz off that Turkish Delight!

No but I wouldn't have minded a bit of chocolate Thai.. :)

I am pretty tech savvy so was surprised to find myself so easily duped into buying the US visa ESTA off the first Google hit instead of making sure it was the real government site. To be fair I did do it in a rush and remember thinking man this site is ****ty but proceeding anyway.

Cue €140 charge instead of the 20 it was supposed to cost or thereabouts. The sites are clever, they look just like the real thing and do provide you with an esta so you are getting what you pay for. Managed to get it back minus the real esta fee after I asked them. I suspect for every 10 people that ask for their money back 1 doesn't, great scam.

Oh yes...lol. I've heard of those sites. I don't actually know how they are legal but to be honest, they're like travel agents.

In all seriousness though, your talking about mtf? most have masculine features after transition so I don't know how you'd fall for that...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭boardz

We got caught earlier this year. Needed a uk birth cert with an Apostille stamp. Googled and I could still swear to this day that I landed on the official government site with various links - Marriage cert , death cert etc . So I selected birth cert link and put in all the details and paid 98 pounds. I didn't get an email confirmation so I had another more detailed look. The site is a 'legal' site which insinuates its the official site (officialukrecords.co.uk) and you will get your cert but it costs double the price than if you order it yourself from the actual official site. Opened a paypal dispute. Got the birth cert a few days later but no Apostille stamp. Paypal eventually refunded all of the money. The site then sent me an email threatening to bring me to court if I didn't forward the money. I offered to pay the actual cost of the cert (10 pounds) I had received they refused - all of the money or legal action. Needless to say never heard from them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I've never fallen for one, thankfully.

branie2 wrote: »
    Will you look after me ? :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

branie2 wrote: »

Ignorance is bliss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

, Nothing major, but it was a weird and somewhat elaborate experience.

First night in Agadir, Morocco. We hail a taxi to bring us to the local souk. The driver says the nearest one is closing at 7.30, but there’s another one just outside town that’s open till 10. We’re somewhat skeptical, but decide to go with it. A souk’s a souk.

20 minutes later, we arrive at a fine big souk. Driver says he’ll he’ll hang on outside and to take our time. Off we go in, there’s plenty of stalls and shops. We’re the only westerners in the place, but it’s all fine.

Next thing a guy comes up to us asking if we’re Irish. He’s so happy they we are. He needs our help. He once stayed with a family in Tallaght (he gives a plausible address) and wants to write to them - in Irish - because they were so good to him. So could we translate a letter into Irish for him? We say yeah, and he leads us through the souk to his little shop, sits us down on a comfy sofa at the back, and hands us a pen and paper. He starts dictating a thank you letter to Mary whoever in Tallaght, and we do our best to write as Gaeilge. A few people start to gather silently in the little room

When we’re done, he thanks is profusely, and declares that it’s traditional to have tea. We accept, and a few more people come into the room. I’ve a feeling something’s going to happen, so I’m on my guard. But they’re all very nice.

Next thing, they start producing trays of products for us to buy. Tea, sweets, silverware. We say we’re ok, but it becomes apparent we’re not going to be let leave until we buy something. It’s also apparent that they don’t care about the letter. I’m starting to wonder how much this is going to cost, so I buy a bag of tea for about 3 euro. They seem happy with that, and suddenly our taxi driver magically appears in the room and says it’s time to go.

An incredibly complicated ruse just to get us to buy a bag of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Was in Morooco years ago and visited the area of of the Atlas mountains. Small local town with area selling usual tourist stuff. Some locals descended on the group to try and flog the usual tat. Unfortunately they had never before met a bunch of country lads well used to bartering with limited funds. After some serious haggling where they were making no headway- we were asked where we were from and told us that we were not like the other tourists at all. They were grand after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,468 ✭✭✭pgj2015

gozunda wrote: »
    Was in Morooco years ago and visited the area of of the Atlas mountains. Small local town with area selling usual tourist stuff. Some locals descended on the group to try and flog the usual tat. Unfortunately they had never before met a bunch of country lads well used to bartering with limited funds. After some serious haggling where they were making no headway- we were asked where we were from and told us that we were not like the other tourists at all. They were grand after that.

Are you from Cavan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Probably nothing in the grand of things.
    Back in April this year partner and I decided to buy our first car together.
    Found a nice one and brought it to an inspection point where they assured us the car was in perfect condition.
    Did the deal and brought the car home after handing over a pretty penny.
    Few days later car develops a rattle which doesn't go away so I bring it to the mechanic to have it checked.
    Entire suspension was wrecked and cause of the rarity of the car the bill would be more than what we paid for it.
    Raging I try and contact the dealer who simply says to **** off.
    Then started digging and it then shows that the inspection point we went to was linked to the dealer and things finally started to make sense.
    Trying to get rid of it now but that was one hell of an expensive mistake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement