Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It looks like on street parking spaces, which is pretty unusual for Ionity. I'm guessing they're administered by the management company that runs the shopping centre, retail park and apartments across the road. Probably owned by the same company as well

So I would say that while the car dealerships weren't able to just volunteer some land, they were probably able to strongly encourage the landowner to do so and promise an extra revenue stream in the process

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yea, something along those lines. They saw an opportunity and came together and suggested it to Ionity.

In addition, its easily accessible off the M50 and Dublin Airport so its not a bad location really, assuming it doesn't get ICE'd. I wonder will some of the locals be put out by those spaces being commandeered!? Ionity wont have any interest in spending a 7 figure sum to have it ICE'd constantly.

I think the residents have an underground car park, it looks like those spaces are paid spaces

I'd say they'll be ICEd or hogged by EVs not charging constantly if the word gets out that the parking is free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wassie

A couple of weeks of clamping will sort that sort of carry on. Good to see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭zg3409

That area can be traffic blocked at peak times especially heading out back towards m50 at say 5pm. Often 5+ minute queues to get last 100m towards the m50. Handy having 2 drive through take away right next to it.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's a bit of a traffic disaster out that way

The location could be handy for anyone in the vicinity who doesn't have a driveway. As I recall there's a lot of apartment blocks out there

Of course then you end up paying the Ionity tax 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dsandson

Ionity Belfast now officially in construction on their online map. From EVANI Facebook group they hope to complete this and Toome before the end of the year. However that seems ambitious!

I think the biggest delay is generally getting the grid connection sorted.

Ionity will have the hardware already available and the groundworks or constructing the substation don't take long

But yeah, I imagine there could be a case of sites being built but not yet operational

Been checking the planning lists for Cork and Galway but haven't spotted anything

Galway sites looks to be around Athenry, and Cork looks to be around where the M8 and N25 meet, which would be pretty cool

No idea where the new sites on the M7 is. My grainy map reading skills reckon it's somewhere around Nenagh or Birdhill, so I wonder if a colocation with Tesla at Birdhill services is on the cards....

EDIT: Also did anyone figure out where the Derry hub will be located?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭zg3409

Any known planned chargers are shown on plugshare app as coming soon but you might need to adjust filters.

I would not rely on any vague maps from ionity, it's clear that many of the proposed sites are not being worked on in the slightest, as in years after they first pop up no sign of even planning applications. I do believe they attempted a few sites in NI but the grid connection costs put them off and they gave up on those sites. Typically NI has much higher costs than elsewhere due to the way the fee is calculated. Tesla had similar issues in NI. Even with planning approval they have up to 5 years to use it, and again grid connections can take a year.

Derry hub currently proposed at the Gransha Roundabout, south east of the Foyle Bridge. All subject to planning approval, and even then probably Ionity's own business case & grid connection.

Planning ref LA11/2023/1529/F

https://planningregister.planningsystemni.gov.uk/application/669262

• Advertisement

Toome now officially in construction as per their network map. 12 bays at construction, with expansion capacity up to 18 bays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

Now that VW (software 3.2) is plug and charge compatible at Ionity, does any other manufacturer also have plug and charge working?

I remember hearing something about Porsche and Ford (mustang) , how about Hyundai or Kia?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Didn’t Porsche have plug and charge from the outset?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hyundai and Kia are meant to be pushing an update later this year for Plug and Charge.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

EasyGo mentioned they were working on this a few years ago with their chargers, but i've heard nothing since. They could do with a marketing boost for their service. Their prices and UX certainly aren't attracting the masses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

That'd be great. I thought that the new Ioniq 6 had P&C. Parts are probably the same between Ioniq 5 / 6 & EV6 & EV9.

I think Fastned also have Plug&Charge working. I'm surprised that the BP Pulse chargers in NI, built by VW, dont have it working. Maybe a network issue rather than the hardware itself.

Theres one ESB ecars charger thats got AutoCharge working. No word if thats going to be rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

AutoCharge is working on more of the ESB chargers than claim it in the app. I activated the option at Park Pointe and I now find that charging will start when I just plug into the high powered unit in Blanchardstown. I'm guessing that it may work widely on units of that particular type.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Anything based on VW's MEB platform will have it.... I think the Mustang is based off MEB. Porsche is under VW as is Cupra so they all have it and Audi also should have it.

Its the non-VW manufacturers are the unknown.

I think Merc EQS has it. If the Koreans roll it out it would be widely adopted then.

Seems Hyundai have started to adopt it since last month on the IONIQ 6 so presumably Kia as the sister company will be right behind it.

https://www.hyundai.news/eu/articles/press-releases/plug-and-charge-with-charge-myhyundai.html

Unfortunately though, Ionity seem to be the only charging operator that supports it yet in this country and eCars said they have no plans for it so that's a fly in the ointment there but hopefully it will become more widely adopted by the manufacturers and the charge points in the years ahead.... it is how charging should work.... apps and cards and pressing buttons is all very archaic now.

Post edited by KCross on

This is starting to get off topic but I tend to only visit the HPC at Emyvale Rd, Monaghan. There must only be a few chargers which allow you to enroll. It'd be handy if they allowed all the HPCs to enroll onto AutoCharge.

• Advertisement

I spotted there's a hub under construction in Stranraer, that'll be pretty handy for anyone getting the ferry from Belfast and doesn't want to try charging before the ferry

I wonder will they try to put a hub in Holyhead as well. There's already a pair of Gridserve units in the terminal but they maxed out at 45kW when I used them.

It's possible Gridserve will upgrade the sites since they have dibs, but nothing stopping Ionity from setting up shop on the A55 nearby, maybe in the big retail park with the Tesco and Morrisons

Maybe they'll install a hub in Pembroke as well to catch the ferry traffic from Rosslare

• Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Just used the Ionity at kill at the weekend, the cable set up is much better than what I used before in gorey and Cashel, have they been upgraded does anyone know to be the same as kill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭innrain

No. Kill units are the "new upgraded" Tritium with Halo design which won the some award back in 2019 /2020

https://ionity.eu/en/stories/design

Those charegers are Tritiums. Hopefully the Halo design belongs to Ionity, as I'd like to see it brought over to their new Alpitronics Hypercharger 400 units that they're supposed to be installing shortly. The Alpitronics are supposed to be very reliable so all good

• Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Price drop in Germany and Netherlands (10c) and Norway (1.14NOK)

Possibly a sign of things to come, although with our energy prices I suspect we'll be the last country to lower prices

Those 3 countries are the busiest for Ionity so there's probably some bulk discounts on the energy market

Still, 63c/kWh would be nice and severely undercut Ecars and everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 23,376 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Well Ionity's argument for being more expensive is they offered a better charging experience. Remember they were rolling out 350kW units in Ireland when Ecars were just starting to install a single 150kW unit on some sites

If they're the better experience and cheaper, it would certainly put some holes in Ecars pricing

Tbh, I already think Ionity is better value, as you say the current price difference at the moment isn't significant and their hubs are generally much better

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

City North

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Nice, bring out the paint! Odd that units 5 and 6 are different to the other four.

Advertisement