Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

The article doesn't mention Tesla, does Tesla have the necessary protocols for this or just for their own proprietary network?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭wassie

__

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭innrain

Tesla does have their own implementation. Is it ISO 15118 (Plug&Charge) compliant? Only they know. I believe it will be when they'll open the network.

The article mentions Taycan, Mustang and a Merc. Id.4 is coming soon so pretty much that's all the compatible cars so far. I presume having OTA updates can solve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

I know Tesla made updates to the model 3 charging to get it to work with zappi chargers solar settings, it's theoretically possible a software update to the car could do this. One Dutch crowd just used the vin or unique identifier of the car to bill the same tied account, so the car really had no fancy communication to the charger. I believe the true plug to charge standard has all sorts of encryption and public private key to stop people cloning cars to use others accounts to fill their car.

Hopefully Tesla will integrate more and more non Tesla chargers to make it a more smooth experience such as prewarming batteries which they can now do for non Tesla chargers.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Easygo hinted towards plug and charge last year at an ievoa meeting. Thought they said 2021 it'd start rolling out with VW, though maybe that's being held up by VW rather than easy go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In the US with EA, it charges you the base rate and not your preferential rate. Complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Ouch If it does that, it's unsuitable for purpose then, eh?

Ionity know what they are doing. They understand their network and how to build it out. They are putting in chargers at the Eurotunnel in Calais and a new bridge opened across the Mosel in Western Germany so they are installing chargers on that route too. Somebody in an EV coming from the South of Germany has the potential to save 15 to 20 minutes by using that route rather than travelling up toward Cologne.

With the placement of their chargers it is getting easier to travel long distances in the likes of a Tesla SR instead of an LR or a 58kWh ID3 than a 77kWh. Even getting around in the likes of the PSA cars and 45kWh ID3 are made easier.

Come on Ionity, announce something new for Ireland !!!

BillN

@ItsBillN

Ionity annouces €700M investment

plan to x4 charger numbers by 2025 to ~7,000

a 360 % increase

600 additional locations

6-12 chargers per site

upgrades to existing sites

will build & run own service stations

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I suspect they won't announce any new sites for Ireland, but they might expand the existing locations. City North only has 2 chargers for example

It'd be nice to see an Ionity site out towards the northwest, I don't think there's any HPCs North of Carrick on Shannon

I wonder well they lower prices to match Tesla as well

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Their prices are already as low as Tesla. Non Ionity customers (ie if you dont own a VAG/Merc/BMW etc) have to pay a monthly sub of 17 quid and you get the same price. Same as how Tesla are rolling it out in holland.

It's actually the 12 month contract with Ionity which is the most annoying part

If I was going on holiday I'd be tempted to sign up for the Ionity subscription for a month if I didn't have to pay for it for the next 11 months 😬

Unlike the Tesla contract for non Tesla owners, which is monthly....

I read on their press releases they want to get on the service station model probably similar to Gridserve. It seems that more financiers realize there is money to be making in this.

Yeah someone in Ionity finally figured out the profit margin on coffee is much higher than energy

I'd say it'll be a rarity though, they're already in partnership with a lot of service stations so they're probably not going to jeopardise that

I reckon they'll only build in locations where there needs to be chargers but there's no existing service stations. Or where they'll get enough EV traffic to support the station by itself

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think the idea will be to build nice Ionity chargers on any route Herbert Deiss uses to discourage VW from going off on their own.

That's if he's around much longer. It's strange you never hear from Daimler/BMW/Ford and don't forget Hyundai, about how bad Ionity is, I presume it's because none of the top people at those companies bother to actually use it.

Well I would assume the heads of Hyundai are in South Korea where Ionity doesn't operate 😉

As to the other companies, I agree that it's very telling that they're not obviously using their companies EVs either. Mind you, Deiss is playing at being a celebrity CEO a bit, whereas I couldn't even name the CEO of any other mainstream car manufacturer

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

The bould Carlos Ghosn! Prior to his enforced retirement.

• Advertisement

Ionity now available on Apple Pay and Google Pay.

Has anyone here with a Taycan, Mach-E or EQS had any success with Iontiy Plug and Charge? It's supposed to be in VW's 3.0 software whenever that arrives.

400+ sites now live

"With the new cash injection, Ionity intends to expand the network to more than 1,000 stations by the end of 2025. The new stations will be bigger (6-12 stalls)."

If Ionity wanted to (wishful thinking) increase the number of stalls at each Irish site, is there room for this? I presume it would need a new planning application, enhanced grid connection, etc....

Crazy speeds for the Rimac Nevera charging at Ionity

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If Ionity wanted to (wishful thinking) increase the number of stalls at each Irish site, is there room for this? I presume it would need a new planning application, enhanced grid connection, etc....

Planning permission is no longer required for charging sites with up to 4 physical chargers (thanks to eCars lobbying). I'm not sure if this would apply to adding 4 chargers to an existing site.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So if Hyundai have joined Ionity then how come no Hyundai EV pricing mechanism in place or have I missed that?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nevermind, just found the UK Hyundai/Ionity rates, not worth it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Did I not read that that Hyundai deal only applied to new Hyundai EV's? meaning old Kona's & Ionic's were exempt from the Ionity pricing deal?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Got an email from Maingau yesterday with new prices... Their price for AC is €0.49/kWh & DC is €0.59/kWh

Then they direct you to their website to see pricing conditions for Ionity which are €0.75/kWh Europe wide.....

So I guess we can safely bin off Maingau as a 'don't bother' provider

You'd never know. Ionity has a new shareholder who is not a car maker but a financier. I think in the long run they will want more people to use it so we will see some relaxations. In Germany there are a lot of local councils giving away discounted prices through they energy/mobility divisions. They do more than that regarding EVs but I'll stay on course. Most of them are for German customers only but some are open. Some will charge you monthly fees of 5-10 some won't. If you have a colleague/friend in DE they can order one for you. Most of them don't work with apps but with physical RFIDs. I've tried one here in IE which charges nothing per month and 38c/kWh. Got an email from Ionity that their app is accepting Apple/Google pay.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

So some expansion expected over the next 4 years.

Ionity chat starts at 4.35.

Green is existing.

Black is the expansion.

They do say they only install 6 or 12 unit hubs, but that's certainly not the case here. Mentioned some sites (all Ireland I guess) have power restriction issues limiting that rollout.

Talking about Plug&Charge being researches. Currently working with Porsche, Ford and Mercedes.

Contactless charging (tap and go) coming to market soon.

I'd use them for contactless alone and not needing to mess around with an app!

Nice to see NI getting some hubs at last. Might finally fill in the charging black hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

They mentioned a few locations in the q&a, Belfast, Derry, Carrick on Shannon, Galway, Cork and Waterford.

Dont know if they have any sites secured yet or if they just have general areas in mind at the moment.

Advertisement