Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thanks so much A it really was such an amazing race, loved every minute of it 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Thanks for replying, keep up the great work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Finally getting around to reading your report. You absolutely smashed it and to feel so strong and fast up to the end with a good chunk of a negative split too.

Bless me Father, for I have sinned... 2 whole months since my last update😲

Ok, so on a high for at least a month after Amsterdam. Just had a read of the report again there, & all the amazing, lovely comments, makes me feel so good! I went back training gradually & now I am back running 5/6 days a week with a lot of EIM stuff(not gonna list them all off) Motivation is non-existent at the moment but I am getting the runs done because they are what I need right now in the middle of all this chaos that is life & work! I am trying to get as many done in daylight as I can, but sometimes that's just not possible (I really don't like running in the dark). I think running when you don't actually feel like it helps build mental strength & resilience, It's easy to do something consistently when you love it, but takes a lot more hard work when you're not loving it so much!

My year so far has been amazing running-wise. I have PB'd in almost all distances & have consistently ran 2,180.6 miles so far this year, really happy with this. I had the perfect marathon & was topped off by getting my confirmation email to run Berlin next year, a dream I have had for a few years now😊

So 2024 will ultimately be all about Berlin. I have decided not to target a half marathon early in the year like I usually do due to some travel plans etc, it's kind of a relief that I will get to go away without thinking about a target race. I have signed up for Raheny & Trim 10mile so far for next year. My plan is to enjoy racing for the 1st half of the year, keep up a good base & then get stuck into a good block of training for Berlin!

I will be logging more regularly in the new year also as I find it helps with accountability. For now I'd like to wish you all a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year! I hope santa is good to you all🎅

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

• Advertisement

And just like that it's 2024 & I now have a 5-year-old Grandson full of sass & attitude (wonder where he gets that from)

I continued running regularly over Christmas which was great given the lack of Mojo & all the food & drink consumed. Finished the year out with 2,243.4 Miles/3,610.4 Km's - happy with that.

Mon 1st Jan 2024 - 10km Easy

Head was surprisingly ok after the celebrations the night before. Set out before lunch time on a wet New Years day.

Tues 2nd - 3K E, 6*1Min hills(5k effort) jog rec, 2K E

I decided to head over to Stocking Lane to do these, as I didn't have time to go to the PP. I parked in an estate and set off. I went a bit further than the last time I did these hills and decided to do them on Stocking Avenue. It was quite a steep hill & knew it was long enough for a minute rep. I set off probably a bit too eagerly for the first two, so reigned it in; this was to be based on effort. The last one felt tough enough, and I was literally counting down the seconds. Really happy with it once I was finished, as it's been quite a while since I did hills. I got back to the car soaked, so not only did I run fast hill reps, but I ran them in the rain—total badass!!

Weds 3rd - 12K Easy

Got out for this at lunchtime.

Thurs 4th - 10K Easy

Another lunchtime run but this time with some very welcomed Sunshine - it genuinely just cheers you up! Had a lovely Pizza party for my grandson turning 5💛

Fri 5th - 3K E, 10K@HMP, 3KE

Another lunchtime run. Not gonna lie, I wasn't too sure what to think of this when I 1st seen it. I knew I couldn't get out to the PP to do this on my trusty loop, so did it in the Fettercairn park loop that I have been using. Depending on the weather some of the loop can be pretty tough & very open to the elements, but I didn't have a lot of choice. Once the w/u was completed, I settled into the HMP pace. The loops went by & it felt good, I noticed I was going a bit too fast at times so would pull it back. The wind was building, & I really started to feel it on the 7th km, sh!t was I gonna be able to finish it off? I remember thinking this is tough, will I just do easy for the rest of it. My body really didn't appreciate the discomfort it was feeling. I decided to get to 8 km then see how I felt, still tough, so I pulled it back to effort rather than pace, there wasn't a whole lot in the difference, but it made my mind think I could complete it. I finished it & was very happy to hear my watch beep to run easy. Thinking about this run afterwards, I need to build back up some speed & endurance, I know it will come back with time & the right training, hopefully not too long.

Sat 6th - Rest

Sun 7th - 19k E, 4K Moderate

Set the alarm to be up early, but when I got up, I decided it was probably better to head out a bit later, closed my eyes & fell back asleep! Take 2, I set off, some of the paths & roads were still treacherous. Luckily, the sun was out, so I mainly ran either on the frosty grass or on mostly thawed paths & roads. Although it's so dangerous to run in the frost & ice just looked so stunning, glistening in the sunshine. I put an old playlist on & really enjoyed listening to all the songs I haven't heard in ages. Completed the 19k E then I ran into Fettercairn park to do a few K of the moderate, then the last KM to my door. I have to say I really enjoyed this run, feels like my motivation is coming back, thank god!

Mon 8th - 10K Easy

I had to do this run after work, wrapped up well as it was freezing out there, I'd say even @scotindublin wore a t-shirt today😉😂 Again I enjoyed this run, was happy that it's taking longer to get dark now, can't wait for the long bright evenings again.

So I have no real goals for this half of the year other than to run consistent miles and hopefully start feeling fit & motivated again. Have Raheny & Trim in a few weeks, so will give them a good go!

Cheers for reading 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Fair play on that HMP workout! I ran the same but MP and found it really tough going.

Cheers C, yeah was tough, especially towards the end but a good marker to try push myself through the pain part (something I am defo lacking at the moment!) I don't bet myself up like I used to if a session doesn't go according to plan; there are so many outside factors that come into play on any given day. I like to learn from them & hope that maybe in a few weeks I'll see an improvement.

Tues 9th - 3K E, 8*3Min @4:10, off 2mins , 3K E

Reps - 4:10,4:09,4:09,4:09,4:10,4:16,4:10,4:09

Another run after work. It's not ideal at the moment because I like to do my speed stuff on the loop in my local park & there's not much lighting in it at all. You don't notice the darkness creeping in until it's pitch dark; I just continued on as I felt safe enough and didn't have too long to go. I eased into these as best I could, was working hard but a manageable hard. I was happy with how I felt overall. I seem to be getting back in the direction of where I'd like to be.

Weds 10th - 14K Easy

Nice lunchtime run.

Thurs 11th - 8K Easy

Rinse & repeat!

Fri 12th - 3K E, 6K@4:40,1K E, 6K@4:25, 2K E

Took any impromptu half day (was due hours in work) and set off to the PP. I was excited to get back to the Lainey loop for this one. I parked up and set off for my warm up. There were a fair few walkers and runners around. I settled into the pace for the first part okay; it was feeling a little hard at times, and I was really wondering how the hell I ever ran a marathon at this pace. Luckily, half way through, I had a rhythm going, and it felt easier and more controlled. As the mind is a weird and wonderful place (defo more weird on my part😉) I started to really doubt my ability to be able to do the next 6K at a faster pace. I composed myself, shuffled my music, and told myself to cop on! I set off at the faster pace a little too eagerly, so I pulled back and again settled into a nice rhythm. I couldn't believe that somehow this felt easier than what I had been doing. This has happened to me lots of times, and its always welcomed! I passed another runner several times, going the opposite way; he always looked up but never smiled or acknowledged me at all, even though I smiled the first two times, then I gave up! Again, I was happy overall with how this went, I am seeing small improvements. I think these sessions will really be of great benefit to me.

Sat 13th - Rest

Sun 14th - 7k E, 10*90secs @4:25, 90secs E, 6K Easy

Went out for this just before 10, was a lovely morning for a run. Did the fast bits in the park then finished off on my regular route. Another solid week

Cheers for reading 💛

83.9 KMs for the week.

173. 4 KMs year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great to hear things are moving in the direction you want them too, you deserve it with the work you put in. Shame on that other runner, a smile costs nothing 🤷

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Shoulda shouted at him to get off 'your' loop. 😀

Thanks @ariana` I appreciate the support. I always seem to doubt myself & my ability when I get back into a bit of speed after a marathon block. Today's session built a bitvmore conference so that's all I can ask for really🤗 I know it's only something trivial but I don't really get why you wouldn't smile back!

Haha @Murph_D I actually should have🤣🤣

Mon 15th -10k Easy with 6*30sec strides

Nice lunchtime run. Fresh but the sunshine felt gorgeous, enjoyed the zip the strides added to the run.

Tues 16th - 3K E, 5*1.5K @4:10, off 2mins , 4K E

Not gonna lie, I saw this sent to me, and I was a bit like, sh!t not sure if I'll manage this, but as I always tell myself, if it's not manageable, then I'll just have to pull it back a bit. Thankfully, I didn't need to. I did this on the local loop I have been using, and I settled into it quite early on, and it felt good. I felt the first three were at a lovely effort; it was making me believe in myself and my abilities. The next one got a little tougher, and the last one but nothing too bad. I was working, but not too hard where I would need to pull back. Overall came away from this pleased with myself.

Weds 17th - 8K Easy

Nice lunchtime run, sunny, crisp day.

Thurs 18th - 8K Easy

Bitterly cold when the sun wasn't out but had my 60's/70's playlist to keep me going.

Fri 19th - 3K E, 7K@4:40,1K E, 6K@4:25, 2K E

Out to the PP for this to my favourite loop. An extra km added to the 1st part of this run, was hoping I would settle a bit quicker than last week. Thankfully, I did. I passed a lot of walkers and runners, and this week they were all very friendly, which was lovely. Each km went by quickly, I loved hearing them beep because I was feeling so good and controlled. I finished out the part of the run then eased into the 1k easy part so that I could build back into the next part feeling strong and confident. Again, I started off nice and controlled. Again, the kms passed quickly. I could feel the effort levels rising around km 5y, had to get inside my head for a little bit and have "that" talk with myself, which seemed to work because I was able to pull it back for the last km. I finished off on the straight of Chesterfield Road, which was actually perfect to finish off my 2k cooldown back towards my car. I had a smile on my face when I got back to the car(after putting the heating on full blast because it was absolutely baltic) The motivation is well and truly coming back along with bits of confidence each week, long may it last.

Sat 20th - Rest

Sun 21st - 23k Easy

There was a possibility of doing this in the PP with @Murph_D but it didn't end up happening (postponed to another time😉) I had made up my mind to stay local if D wasn't around, as I wasn't too sure how bad the storm was going to get. I set off on an extended version of my local route. Good god, that wind!! It felt like it was a headwind for at least 90% of the run; every time I thought it might ease up and I could run a decent pace, I was caught with another gust of wind. I'm not gonna lie, it wasn't my fav run, but I went out and got it done. I genuinely hate the wind more than anything else; as many people have said to me, see it as a character-building run! Hopefully I don't have too many character-building runs going forward😂

Cheers for reading 💛

84.8 KMs/52.69 miles for the week.

248 KMs/154.1 miles year so far.

Mon 22nd - 45mins Easy

Easy in the rain.

Tues 23rd - 10min W/U, 2*10 mins@4:10 off 3mins, 15mins@4:20, C/D

I didn't really comprehend how difficult this would be seeing it written down. Out at lunchtime in the wind & rain, defo didn't help for this.I managed the 1st 10mins at pace but it was hard. Gave the 2nd rep a good go, the wind was getting stronger, the rain in my face & mostly my head just gave way. I stopped & walked for a bit when a gust of wind stopped me in my tracks! I thought about just doing a cool-down, ran a bit then decided I'd just take the paces down a bit & finish it off. The efforts were there, but it was one of the tougher sessions I've done in a good while. I decided to not dwell too much on it & move on.

Weds 24th - 60mins Easy

Easy hour at lunch.

Thurs 25th - 4*EIM 1K

Very windy still but a decent run.

Fri 26th - 45mins Easy

An emotional easy run for what would have been my da's 75th birthday💛

Sat 27th - Rest

Sun 28th -Raheny 5 Mile race Chip Time: 33:48

Set off for this earlier than usual with my OH, Daughter & Son. Oh my god the traffic was awful. I could feel my stress levels rising as we made our way to the race. It was clear if I did make it that it would be by the skin of my teeth!! I started to get changed in the car as I knew I was not dropping my bag off anywhere. I was so thankful the family came otherwise I wouldn't have made it. The sat nav was saying we weren't too far but the time was going up as the traffic was so bad, my only option now was to hop out of the car & try get to the start line. I had no clue where I was & my sense of direction is awful. As I was deciding what to do i seen a girl on the other side of the road running, she defo looked like she was going to race. As the car moved forward I spotted her number so I jumped out of the car, told them all I'd see them somewhere at the end & ran. I caught up with her & scared the life out of her!! She laughed after she got over the fright & said she had abandoned her car also & was using her phone to find the start. We ran together, about 6mins to the start at this stage. We almost got knocked down by a van, so 2 guards proceeded to stop the traffic so we could cross safely, we were in too much of a hurry to even be embarrassed!! We passed 2 blokes strolling, in running gear but not a care in the world, they pointed down to where we should go. We got to a volunteer who advised us to cut across the park & then we'd be at the starting coral. There was a gap in the fence so we both squeezed in, she moved further back & I moved up a small bit. With that the announcer said 20 secs to the start!! This was defo the most stressful start to any race but off I went hoping to just run a decent race.

The start is always quite congested, but I didn't mind too much today. I eased into a nice pace & effort, & was moving nicely. I got a shout-out from A, she really cheered me up😊 I don't really remember this race in too much detail, I remember the park part(which I always hate) wasn't as bad this time but still not a huge fan haha. I got a huge shout-out here from D & A, again lovely to see friendly faces. The drag to the finish felt long enough, passed S here again another welcomed shout. I gave a bit of a push towards the end as I had been going back & forth with another girl & I managed to pass here on the straight which was nice. Wasn't too sure of my result as my watch clocked almost a min over my chip time, anyways was pleasently surprised to see my chip time as it was only 4 secs off my PB last year & I really didn't feel in good shape given the session during the week etc. Happy enough with it so!!

Spoke to D, C & P after the race, everyone happy with their results. Went for food with my lot & spoke to S,C & J for a few mins. The pub got very busy & noisy, so we left straight after our food.

Mon 29th - Rest

Tues 30th - 50mins Easy

Easy miles

Weds 31st - 4*EIM 1K

Nice run

Thurs 1st - 50mins Easy

Wasn't feeling great but got this done. Half an hour later shaking uncontrollably, so off to bed with a lemsip.

Sickness hit so I didn't race Trim, disappointed but what can you do? Got back out for an easy run yesterday so hopefully back at it now!

Looking at trying out the BHAA cross country race in Kiltipper on the 17th Feb, something I've always said I'd like to try. Any tips/advice for a complete beginner would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers for reading 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done in Raheny, any day we come close to a PB is a good day in my book!

And well done for jumping in the BHAA stuff, I have a feeling you'll love it.

Re tips, if you have spikes, great, maybe just get some miles with strides in the week of the race in the spikes, just to get you used to the feeling of wearing them etc

If you don't, I wouldn't worry too much just yet anyway, it'll be slippy underfoot most likely but maybe the higher ground in Kiltipper will be more forgiving.

Keep a little something back for the last lap of the race, you're a pretty strong runner and you'll probably find that you'll get a lot more out of the race if you take a lap to settle in, over time - you'll find what works best for you etc...

Try not to treat it like a race, that may sound silly but enjoy it, lap it up, for me, cross country gives us back incredible strength as part of our training, I tend to use the races rather than target them.....maybe that's the wrong approach but it certainly helps with the enjoyment factor !

Cheers for the reply! Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with Raheny, thankfully.

I'm both frightened and excited by the thoughts of doing it. Anyone who reads my log will probably have guessed I'm a creature of comfort kind of person. Don't get me wrong, I love pushing myself & working hard but I also like to use familiar routes, run familiar races, etc. This year I have decided not to do that & not to focus too hard on PB'S (but always more than welcome). I want to push myself out of my comfort zone & try new things (not getting any younger), so this will be great for me. It's something I've always thought I'd like to do, especially reading race reports, etc. so here goes!! I have sourced a pair of spikes that my daughter had from a few years ago, so will try get out in them to see how they feel.

I'm not targeting this race at all; I really don't mind where I finish. The sole purpose of this is to push myself to try more new things. I just want to experience it and, like you said, see if I can get a feel for what it's about, hopefully use my judgement a bit better, & not rely on the watch as much as I can tend too.

Hopefully this will be the start of something wonderful... or worse case scenario, I hate it! Either way, I won't know until I try.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rossi7

Take a walk up around Kiltipper Park, the course is close to the car park thats on Kiltipper Rd. It can be very murky, so if any rain it will be tough but enjoyable. As far as I know it's three laps, so essentially you'll be running up the Kiltipper Rd 3 times. That in itself is tough enough on the roads.

My advice would be to run the course and not too pace. Get your warm up done on the course if allowed.

Cheers for the reply. I will head up over the weekend to take a look. Defo doesn't sound like I'm easing myself in gently with the course I've picked!!

Ah it's great, you'll love it. Always a great atmosphere at the BHAA races, particularly the XC. You'll pick up spikes fairly cheap in the likes of Sports Direct. I got mine in Amphibian King, you'll have them for years without the need to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Well done in Raheny - 4 secs away from a PB is a fantastic run.

I know people say dont worry about pace on the XC - but really, dont worry about pace - its pointless looking at your watch - it'll tell you nothing.

Now that I'm an XC Expert after my 1 race (did I ever mention I have a Leinster XC medal..........) - I can confirm what DD is saying and hold something back - you'll pass so many in the last lap but you'll be absolutley B0ll!x£d if you pace it wrong and you'll be getting passed. If its a lapped course, try to find the line that is less mucky - its not always where the masses are running as I found out.

Another question - are you following the EIM method still or is it a Pimped version?

I see this workout (10min W/U, 2*10 mins@4:10 off 3mins, 15mins@4:20, C/D) and thought it looked very tasty and very well put together - I thought it looked very un-EIM'ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I'm no XC stalwart either but my only tip would be to make sure and have a towel, change of socks, and a couple of warm layers with you for afterwards. There's a good chance you'll end up needing them, especially if you end up hanging around for refreshments, prize giving etc. Best of luck with it, it's great craic (often moreso in hindsight though...).

Thanks a mill A😊

Omg did you win a medal, you never said😉thanks for the tips, really appreciate them. Yes I think it is a looped course, I'm just hoping I don't fall on my face or somehow get stuck in the mud haha!

I'm doing a small bit of EIM, a pimped version as you say! S has a bit of everything in it which I love. The workout you highlighted was very tasty indeed & one I underestimated & failed to complete BUT I wasn't a million miles away & I didn't stop (even though I badly wanted to too) so hopefully next time I can complete it!

As a complete newbie to this any advice at all is greatly appreciated! Great tip there on the towel & warm layers, hopefully I will hang around (kinda depends if I know anyone) thanks a mill, so are you telling me I won't think it's great craic while I'm doing it😲

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

My top tip for XC - don't wear white socks! 😁

Damn I was gonna wear my brightest white socks washed recently in Daz😉🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great advice here so far, really looking forward to this debut now. 😉

Haha thanks D, don't be expecting too much🤣🤣

Tues 6th - Easy

A nice easy run to test the waters after my little illness - all good!

Weds 7th - Easy

Out after work for this.

Thurs 8th - EIM 4*1K

On a half day so out for this early afternoon, felt good.

Fri 9th - 10k E with 3*30sec hills

After work for this, I set off on my KT route towards Belgard for the hills, enjoyed pumping the arms & legs for this running up the hill.

Sat 10th - 8k Easy

Nice afternoon run.

Sun 11th - 13k E 2K Steady

Set off into the PP for this. I have missed being out in the park, and I am hoping once the bright evenings come back & weekends get less hectic, I can come more regularly. It was a beautiful sunny morning in the park, full of other runners, really enjoyed this.

Time to settle into a bit of specific training so as I'm not targeting Bohermeen like I usually do I've decided to give Bob Heffernan a go & use it as my target race...Yayyy bring on the 5K pain & suffering😲

Week 1 Mon 12th - 10k Easy

Went out for this at lunchtime.

Tues 13th - 3K w/u, 1600m@4:00,1200@3:55,800@3:50,400@3:35 off 400, 3k c/d.

Reps were 4:00,3:54,3:50 & 3:44

I knew when I saw this that this was gonna be tough, A burst of speed is great & easily manageable but getting back to specific speed work takes time & patience (well, for me anyway!) Once the W/U was done, I entered Fettercairn Park & started the speed work. I usually start off quite eager, then settle myself into the required pace. Once settled, I felt good, but working hard, I was always happy to see the recoveries. The 1200 felt good, as I think I had settled my breathing as well as my form, which gave me a bit of confidence. The 800 and 400 felt tougher, and I was definitely working hard here, counting down the meters until the recovery would beep. Overall, I was happy with how it went, but I know I have a lot of work to do, which I don't mind at all!

Weds 14th - 12K Easy

Easy run after work in the rain- quite enjoyable.

Thurs 15th - Rest

Fri 16th - 30mins Easy

I tried out my new spikes in the local park. I loved running in them, I loved how close to the ground you feel in them. The park was very mucky & wet which was good so I could have an idea of what the XC race might be like. Felt excited when I got home.

Sat 17th Kiltipper 4mile XC BHAA Race - 32:58 - 2nd in my Age category - 48th out of 109

Set off for this with my OH, was dry when we set off but had been raining during the night and was windy. We parked up and straight away I started talking to a lady who turned out to be from Raheny. She was there with her daughter and she was so friendly, gave me lots of advice etc and turns out they knew @Murph_D well and we were all in agreement as to what a nice man he is! I collected my number, and after J's advice, I registered my company, as I hadn't originally done that. Down to the start, we walked, and it started to rain. I didn't really care because I felt quite excited. I did my w/u on some of the course. It was a very hilly course & very mucky in some parts but sure wasn't that gonna be part of the fun! I got quite a few comments when I was chatting to people about it being my 1st ever XC, the main comment was, why the hell did I pick such a tough course! I knew no better, so why not was my answer! Behind the flag, we went to line up, and then we were off! I literally had no plan for this race, it felt so amazing, no expectations, just enjoy it! The start straight away was into very wet & muddy muck, Through this, then up a steep hill, the freefall after the hill felt great, but I knew I had to do this 4 times, so I tried to control it a bit. Once off this hill, we had a straight bit, then another climb, I usually went in behind people here as the wind was strong enough. The rain stopped at some stage for a bit. Once at the top, we took a left through a lot of water & muck onto the 2nd field, this was quite deceptive. It looked ok compared to the 1st one but actually was just as tough. There was another uphill on this which zapped you as you then went straight through a pretty cut up patch before heading back towards the 1st field. I felt I found a bit of a structure to my running the various parts by the time I got around to the 2nd lap. I was working hard but not flogging myself. In my head, I remembered everyone saying to enjoy it. My breathing was good, my form was good, and I felt good. I seemed to be constantly battling against 2 women from the 2nd lap onwards, one in Black gear and the other in blue. We took it in turns to get ahead of each other, we were never far from each other. A chap I knew from Tallaght Athletics was there supporting fellow Tallaght runners & gave me a shout each time I went by, which was great, along with my OH shouting out encouragement, it really felt great to have those cheers! Final lap now, and as I ran by the mucky start again, I heard a roar "go on fellow boardsie" it was @Rossi7 , his words of encouragement heading towards the steep hill one last time were very much appreciated, I knew I didn't have long to go once I came free wheeling down that hill, images of a GIF i had been sent the previous night of everyone just sliding down on their arse because it was so mucky came to mind, and I laughed! I knew this smaller hill towards the finish was tough too so I dug in, I had passed the woman in blue and was closing down on the woman in black, one more push, and I passed her, I was getting tired but knew she was quite close behind me so I sprinted as best I could and almost beat another man over the line, but it was just too late of a push. I finished the race a very, very happy little runner! I looked at my watch once through the whole race, Jaysus the freedom of that alone. I absolutely loved it and will defo be back for more!!

Went back to the club house for tea and sambo's and chatted to so many lovely friendly people, including J and @Rossi7 , he actually told me to make sure I stuck around for the prize giving as he said he'd be surprised if I hadn't won something, I was shocked when my name was called out for 2nd in my age category and didn't care what the prize was, just placing somewhere for my very 1st XC felt amazing. People couldn't get over that I'd actually enjoyed that, I'm sure it was more to do with the fact it was my 1st one and that I was buzzing for it, I'm sure they won't all be the same! I had a couple of offers to join running clubs or even to give it some serious thought (which I will do), but as I have said, my main focus this year is Berlin, but it would be nice to have other options down the line if I wanted to change things up.

I'm honestly so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and gave it a try. I feel like I'm buzzing again, and this can only be a good thing for my running and training in general, long may it last. Cheers for all the great advice given, it was very much listened too and appreciated.

Sun 18th - Easy Run

Set off to the PP on a lovely sunny morning to meet @Murph_D for this. He was on his long run, he came through the visitor centre to meet me, and we set off on a very enjoyable lap around the park. I was still buzzing from my race, so D had to endure my hyper-ness & chattiness for much of the run haha, having the chats really does make the miles fly by!

282 miles/ 453.84 kms year so far

Photographic evidence just in case folk don't believe you. Make sure you do register SDCC as the woman in my club won the O55's and finished not too far in front of you so you will have a decent team. Great to meet you and as I said, try out the club scene. It may or may not suit you but majority of clubs will let you train for a month or so before committing to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

Brilliant ! Well done and congrats on placing, sounds like it was a tough one indeed and you lapped it all up.

Advertisement