Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options
1515253545557»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Haha thanks for the very flattering pic😅. I gave my company details to the lady with the laptop, so she said she would update it. Yes, I'm going to give it some serious consideration, would be nice to be part of a club I think at this stage.

Thanks a mill for all your words of wisdom also, yep I really loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rossi7

I'll Clarkey and Terry know their kid prodigy is on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done in your first XC race. I've never taken part in one myself but have attended a few when my son was competing both club and school and it's such a buzz and brilliant atmosphere! It's unreal! I can understand why many would do it.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill, yes the atmosphere was great, so friendly. I think I am hooked now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Wow. Didn't realise you'd placed as well. First of all well done on giving a new challenge a go and second of all, just well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

A super XC debut. Congrats. First of many XC medals for you, no doubt at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great to read this - both for the enjoyment you got from it and also the placing - top marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Congrats on your XC debut and nice to get a category prize too. You've opened up a whole new world of running there and definitely recommend getting involved with a club for it as the team prizes aspect are a great incentive. I'm surprised D hasn't recruited you for Raheny yet!

Thanks a mill, appreciate the support. The lady Jenny was from Raheny & she was really trying to convince me to join🤣 I am giving joining a club some serious consideration but I think location will factor hugely in my decision 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Oh, don't worry, I've told her many times what a great club Raheny is, but the reality is, if I was E I would be looking at Tallaght or DSD - probably DSD for the facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Great result in the XC.

If you can get down to Tallaght for 6 on a Tuesday and Thursday your paces would be well matched with the faster runners in that group! They’ve been sound enough to put up with me lagging miles behind any time I head down (although I’m not an official member yet either!).

Thanks a mill 😊

I'm having a good think about it! I've heard they are all very sound which always helps😊

Two lads live right beside you that carpool all the time, no brainer for me. Plus you get to represent your hometown 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

This reminds me of when Griezmann made "The Decision"

I'm expecting a big reveal where E will shoot an arrow at a big balloon revealing either yellow/red or grey confetti.

Tell us you've been to too many baby gender reveal parties with out telling us A

Hahaha thanks for all the input folks, I'm a very indecisive person 🤣🤣

Mon 19th - 8k Easy 4*30 sec hills

Went out for this at lunch, legs felt good after Sat.

Tues 20th - 10k Easy

Another lunch run, lots of rain!

Weds 21st - 12k to inc 8*20secs @3:25/45

So different from yesterday's lunch run, the sun was shining. I decided to do 2k easy, then the 20 sec pick ups after each of the next 8k then 2k cool down. I enjoyed the little variety in this.

Thurs 22nd - Rest

Fri 23rd - 12k E with 4*8/10sec steep hill sprints

I found a new route for this as I had seen quite a steep hill heading towards Kiltipper where I had run my cross country. I did the hill sprints, flat out pumping my arms. I felt good, but only afterwards was I was told I hadn't given myself enough time to recover. Then I remembered when I used to do these in the Phoenix park, I was supposed to walk around until my HR went below easy for me. As pointed out to me, doing 4 I'd get away with it but not as they increase in number. Noted for future hill reps!

Sat 24th - 8k Easy

Nice morning run.

Sun 25th - 13k E 2K Steady

I stayed around Tallaght for this, chilly morning but a very enjoyable run.

Mon 26th - 8k E with 5*8/10sec steep hill sprints

Went out for this at lunchtime. I found another steep hill to use, HR strap was really annoying me!

Tues 27th - 10k E

Nice lunchtime run.

Weds 28th - 14K Easy inc 8*25secs @3:25/45

Lunchtime run, again enjoyed the little bursts of speed.

Thurs 29th - 8k E

This started out as a glorious lunchtime run, sunglasses on enjoying the heat but then the last 2k or so was me battling against wind & hailstowns literally hating my life & wondering wtf I run!!! (I hate hailstones more than anything else, they hurt so fookin much)

Fri 1st March - Rest

Sat 2nd Alsaa 2mile XC BHAA Race - 13:40(1.82miles) - 2nd in my Age category - 5th out of 29 (course was short as we were given the wrong directions when starting)

Got to Alsaa with plenty of time. I parked up & collected my number. Set off on my warm up, met @Wubble Wubble who greeted me with a lovely smile & warm hug. We chatted & he wished me luck & I went on my way. I then spoke to a few of the women racing, again very friendly, & some I recognised from the last race. Good god the fields were like swamps, this was going to be a lot different to Kiltipper. Once in my spikes I did a few strides, each time my foot entered the ice cold water it was a little shock haha! I knew this was going to be great craic! We lined up & to me it looked like there was only about 20 of us but turns out 29 ran. I started with about 5 or 6 women, then it opened up a bit & I was 4th. We entered a 2nd field & tbh we really weren't sure where exactly to go so I just followed those in front. This was a very tricky course with the mud & water it was quite hard to gain momentum & feel like you were actually running! Once I got to the 3rd field and almost one lap done I knew I had gone out too fast, sh!t would I be able to hold on or would I die a death??? There was a girl right on my heels, & she tried to pass me but I managed to keep her off for now. As we looped where we had started I could feel her getting closer & then she passed me, I still had a fair bit to go so resisted killing myself to stay with her, I hoped I might catch her at the end. The water & mud really was mental; obviously, it felt so much harder 2nd time around, but I knew I didn't have too long to go. As we were coming around the 3rd pitch I was running back towards the pitch we started on thinking that's where we finish when suddenly I was ushered to the finishing straight, the smile on my face when I realised but I almost gave away another position as the girl behind me almost caught me because I ran a bit wrong, thankfully I had a bit left in me & pushed a bit of a sprint out to the finish!! Very mucky but very happy with finishing 5th overall which meant I only lost one position for the whole race.Was greeted by a friendly face @skyblue46 who was out supporting myself & @Wubble Wubble, great to see S. It will take getting used to & learning what works best for me(defo not going out fast) but I will take it all with me to the next race. Came 2nd again in my age category which was lovely too & again had some tea & chats with some people. I was maybe contemplating giving Dunboyne a go after @Murph_D mentioning it on our last run but I realised I'm not around for the next BHAA XC & the last one is the same weekend as Dunboyne so I think the XC will win! I have to say I really am enjoying it, again never looked at the watch so absolutely zero pressure on myself.

Sun 3rd - 13k Easy 3k steady (ended up doing an extra k steady)

Set off to the PP on a lovely sunny morning for this. I went around the perimeter of the park & really enjoyed how busy it was with other runners & cyclists (lots of kids groups which is great to see). I was listening to a new podcast & the km's were flying by. I thought I had it worked out quite well with the route I picked. My plan was to do the 3k steady on my loop, then the last K would leave me at the Papel Cross car park. Nope, I got this completely wrong & ran an extra km steady, only realising when the 17 beeped on my watch, I hadn't really been paying attention up until then! Note to self, pay attention!

362.7 miles/ 583.70 kms year so far

• Advertisement

Terrific! Well done. The positive attitude to muck and slop is standing to you big time. 👏👏👏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

Brilliant, you got the full XC experience and as D says, it'll stand to you. Congrats on the placing too

Mon 4th - 10k Easy 7*30 sec hills

A very, very wet day after work - dedication or insanity!?

Tues 5th - 10k Easy

A much nice evening thank god.

Weds 6th - 14k to inc 8*30secs @3:25/45

Did this after a morning spent in the IPA, felt good afterwards.

Thurs 7th - 13 K Easy

Got out for this early as I was heading to Lanzarote for a few days with a bunch of my friends.

Fri 8th - 8K Easy

What a beautiful sunny morning in beautiful Lanzarote.

Sat 9th - Rest

Well needed after yesterdays drinking session!

Sun 10th - 14k E 4K Steady

Another glorious morning in Lanza, got out as early as I could for this as we had a table booked for 16 of us for food & drinks at 12 in a gorgeous place overlooking the beach. I could run in the sun all year round, nothing like it.

Mon 11th - 8k E with 8*8/10sec steep hill sprints

Was heading home today so again an early start despite being a bit hungover! Oh the sunshine & views were a wonderful cure for it...

Tues 12th - 10k E

Nice lunchtime run.

Weds 13th - 14K Easy inc 8*40secs @3:25/45

Lunchtime run, missing the Lanza weather.

Thurs 14th - 7k E with strides

Nice easy run after work

Fri 15th - Rest

Sat 16th - Easy with strides

Sun 17th - Tallaght 5k Race - Paddys Day - Chip time 20:52

Was originally supposed to race a park run but swapped it around so I could support this local race. Wasn't feeling it tbh as I'd had a pretty crappy sleep with my FIL having a 2nd small stroke & ending up in hospital, quite a restless night followed waiting to hear etc, (thankfully it was treated quickly enough & a stay in the hospital for a few days & great treatment has him back home again safe).

I lined up at the start after speaking to a few boardsies, lots of hugs, & wishing each other good luck, which I always appreciate before a race. It was a very humid morning, nice not to be standing on the start line freezing! Off we went, I had no plan really other than to see how I felt, The 1st 2 kms went by fine, felt I was managing well, pushed on a bit then came the dreaded hill, could hear my breathing getting a bit louder & legs were feeling a bit tired so I pushed on past a few people I had set my sights on & was happy to pass them. Came up to where we started & knew I didn't have long to go, one final push on the track & happy to be finished.

Really enjoyed the chats with more boardsie after plus the tea & cakes were great, a brilliant atmosphere as always & a nice solid run for me

Mon 18th - Rest

Tues 19th - 14K Easy

A lovely bright evening but my legs did feel heavy on this, 1st time in ages I've felt like this.

Weds 20th - 3K Easy, 12*400@3:40 off 200, 3K Easy

Right from the start my legs still didn't feel 100%, Tallaght had obviously taken a bit more out of me than I thought! I set off into the 400's and because I wanted to wake my legs up ( & a very bad habit of mine) was starting them off too fast, I got through the 1st lot quite well but I did pay the price on a couple of them & slowed down towards the end, I really need to work on being more disciplined with my speedwork! Overall quite happy with how it went, it's been a while since I feel I've done a session that pushed me so hopefully I get back into the swing of this speed stuff.

Thurs 21st - Rest

Fri 22nd - 10k Easy

A nice run after work

Sat 23rd Rathbeggan Lakes 6k XC BHAA mixed Race - 29:32 - 2nd in my Age category - 25th out of 72

This is was the last of the BHAA XC races so I really wanted to do this, it was pencilled in as one of my sessions for the week. I was feeling quite anxious about getting there as the exit was closed on the M50 & I always prefer to take the most direct route. Anyway, I shouldn't have worried, the route I followed was quite straightforward & had me there in plenty of time(I really need to work on my anxiety & worrying about unnecessary things) Chatted to a few people then set off for a warm up. Put my bag in the tea/picnic area & changed into my spikes. The weather wasn't bad at all, a bit chilly but dry & lovely in the sunshine. We were all ready to go at 11 then the man on the mic started talking & talking & talking, the banter in around me with the runners was very funny, some of the aul fellas were gas! Anyway, eventually, we were off. It was very tight getting around the 1st half of the lap(we had to do 3) but now looking at it I think it helped me. I had no choice really but to be quite conservative for the start as I had started quite far back. Once onto the open field I passed a few people but knew not to go too hard yet. It had everything, a few hills, a large field then proper mud, the kind of mud you try to run over so fast in your head hoping you won't get stuck in it, aw it was great craic. There was a few of these patches towards the end of the loop before you came back up another hill then onto grass towards where the finish would be. 2nd lap I was gaining more confidence, feeling good about my running & my breathing, I felt very controlled whilst never even looking at my watch. As we came towards the end of the 2nd loop one of the stewards encouraged me & told me I was the 6th lady & in 30th position. That was enough to hear, I knew I could catch the lady ahead (from Tallaght AC) and I made up my mind I was going to be the 5th lady home, the others just had way too much on me. So while I was playing this all out in my mind, I went flat out in the mud, hands & knees deep in it, I got up so quickly & just kept going, getting lots of cheers from the few people around supporting, now I felt like a real XC runner!! I gradually passed the lady runner, then a couple of men too, once out of the muddy patch, I put a fair bit of welly into my finish again with a lot of encouragement to finish strong, could see the clock was just under 30 mins so made sure I got there. I chatted to a few people straight after then went to hose my legs & spikes down. Tea, cakes & awards afterwards, which again was great craic. I met a few really lovely people & invited to run in the PP for some speed sessions if I was ever free, just really nice how welcoming they all are. I have to say this was my best XC experience so far, I really loved it, roll on more XC racing!

Sun 24th - 16k Easy 4k steady

Up & out for this run, legs feeling surprisingly good. I wore a tshirt for this, as it looked nice enough out. I decided to stay local & ran all around Citywest combined with my usual route. I listened to a few of the Tommy, Hector & Loretta podcasts & laughed most of the way around. Felt really good for this run which is always a plus.

485.6 miles/781.49 kms year so far

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

A great end to your XC season, well done ! Time for you to sort out a club for next winter ;-)

Brilliant stuff, Elaine. That’s a great performance. 👏👏

Advertisement