Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

What a great run! Dont leave us waiting too long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Phenomenal run. Really excited to read about it, on it paper it looked amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Congrats E. Absolutely well deserved and with such a great attitude too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Definitely the Boards performance of the year so far, in my opinion - a phenomenal achievement! Brilliantly executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

You're an absolute phenomenon. So happy to be there sharing the experience. What an inspiring performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Amsterdam Marathon - Chip time 3:17:22

God where do I even start with this? The two lads have already wrote really great reports so now we'll see it from my perspective! I still feel like I'm dreaming, every time I really think about it I think did I really do that & was it really as comfortable as it felt!

So the trip started early in the airport, seen S & C, the excitement & buzz was great. I was with my family, it was so amazing having them with me for support. The flight over was quick & the trip to the hotel was fairly seamless too, have to say the public transport(once you got used to it) was amazing! After settling into the hotel I said goodbye to my lot who were heading off & I went to meet S & C at the Olympic Stadium to the expo. I was buzzing when I got there, the I AM AMSTERDAM sign, the Olympic Stadium, the crowds, it was all amazing. I got my number & tshirt & met up with the lads. Bought some maurten race pack & a very funky pair of socks🌻 We then headed off for a bite to eat & a nice chat about our race plans etc. Back to the hotel feeling tired from all the travels & excitement & met my lot shortly afterwards as I chilled in my room. I got a decent nights sleep, felt very content & felt like I had a good plan in place. I woke early & had my porridge, a banana & made my maurten drink to sip on. Had agreed to meet the lads at 8:30 so my lot were up & ready to leave with me as they wanted to sort where they would support me. We got there & had a bit of a walk from the tram, as we were walking there was an awful hail shower, stupidly none of us had any raingear at all on so we were all absolutely soaked, it was a bit crap but I just shrugged it off as there was nothing I could do about it. I said goodbye to my lot & found S & C, my hoody was soaked through so I just got changed & threw everything into the bag drop & off we went to find our starting point. It was a bit confusing but we got there eventually starting a lot further back than we had planned. I knew all I needed to do was focus on my race, my plan, my splits! I took 6 maurten gels & drank at every station, the isotonic drink & water all except for the last one. I feel I got my fuelling spot on this year thankfully.

0 -5km (24:34) We were off, wasn't very long till I lost sight of the lads as we all executed our own plans. My plan was to run conservatively for the 1st 4km at least then hopefully settle into an even enough pace then pick it up at the end if I could. The 1st bit out of the stadium was great but once out onto the road it was very congested & there was a lot of weaving to do, frustrating at times but I knew it was helping me with the conservative start. I hit the 1st 5km at 24:34, a little slower than I should be but that was ok.

6 - 10km (48.10)

Still a fair bit of weaving going on here as the course narrowed a bit, there was a small out & back loop & we could see the speedsters passing by on the other side of the road. It was around here I seen my family, lots of cheers from them, go frecks, run crazy legs, go momma E! They had spread themselves out a bit so was great to hear them at each little bit, I was grinning from ear to ear, they have a video of me & you can just see tiny me waving & smiling behind a lot taller fellas, it's very funny to see! Luckily for me the smiles continued all the way around the course especially as I was dressed in an Ireland singlet, shorts & my orange calf sleeves. I got so many cheers, c'mon Ireland, sorry about the rugby, go Irish amongst a few other things, the support was amazing all the way around. Seeing my family made me so happy & it really is a boost for morale!

11 - 15km (1:11:48)

This section led to the Amstel as we ran along the canal for a fair bit. I thought this might feel like it would go on forever but it actually didn't. Again it was quite narrow & congested as I headed up towards the 3:30 pace group. I passed by them as it started raining, the wind also seemed to pick up a bit but I didn't feel it too badly as there were so many of us running together. Again my Ireland top got some comments & another Irish bloke started chatting to me for a bit, I left him at some stage as I again tried to get around people. Again I hit the 15km split a bit slower than planned but I wasn't concerned.

16 - 20km (1:35:42) 21 - 25km (1:59:18)

Still on the canal for this section & the next, feeling good despite a lot of weaving still going on!

26 - 30km (2:22:23)

Back out onto the roads now & the amazing support of the crowds, don't remember too much of the places I ran by here but I knew I was feeling good & still smiling at anyone I made contact with or who called my name. I hit the 30km spot on target feeling good so was very very happy at this stage.

31 - 35km (2:45:36)

Again I don't remember too much about this but god I was feeling amazing, I had to think carefully about what I would do next, this was the only time through the whole marathon that I had a bit of unsure thoughts, they came from trying to decide when would be best to up my pace, what if I did & started suffering, what if I was running that fine line where your pace feels good then you push it & it really hurts. I decided I would up my pace slightly from 35km onwards then pick it up even more for the last 5km if I could.

36 - 40km (3:08:03)

I was over a minute faster than where I should be & this gave me huge confidence, at some stage here I remember thinking, Fook I have this!! I knew I just had to see it out & I was defo going sub 3:20. We entered Vondelpark at some stage here & I loved it, lots of cheers for the Irish top here this just spurred me on, I also passed by a few runners who had cramped up & were trying to walk them off etc, really felt it for them. I decided to skip the last water station here as I really wanted to keep this momentum going!

41 - Finish (3:17:22)

I genuinely can't explain the feeling as I got faster & faster as I knew I was so close, the cheers & support along here was like nothing else. I picked up speed again as I passed the flag lined street which turns onto the I AM AMSTERDAM sign, I heard more shouts & as I was entering the stadium one of the helpers moved back and made a face as if to say I was going too fast, he gave me a smile & I beamed back, once I entered that stadium the foot was well & truly on the gas! I passed by a fair few people at speed, threw my hands in the air with the biggest grin ever & crossed the finish line! I looked down at my watch & could not believe my eyes, was I dreaming, did I really just do this! I saw S & C up ahead & we all congratulated each other, both the lads running brilliant PB's. I honestly couldn't think of 2 nicer people to share this madness with! We went to get out bags & I meet up with my family who had been in the stadium & recorded my finish, there were hugs & kisses & near tears, so so special to have them there with me!

I'm still on a high, wondering how the hell I had the perfect day, the perfect race! From start to finish I controlled the controllable down to a T, not only did I control it but it felt very comfortable the whole way through. Somehow I managed a 4min 34sec negative split, the stuff of dreams! I remember being at halfway thinking this time last year in Dublin along the Crumlin road I was hating it, felt like it was going on forever yet today I was as fresh as a daisy, mental! I never felt bad, I never felt like I needed to holdback, how does this happen in some races but in others you are hanging on for all you've got??

It was a great marathon, one I would highly recommend to anyone thinking of it. The next few days were spent walking a lot & seeing a lot of different places, with my family we made some amazing memories & it's defo a place I will head back to again.

No plans as to what I will do next but a huge thank you needs to go to S for giving me such great training plans that I absolutely love & more than that for being a great friend, along with C they really did make this a great trip full of laughs & craic. I'd also like to say a huge thank you to all my fellow boardsies who sent so many messages of support & congratulations both here & privately, I genuinely appreciate them all😊

I quoted Whitney Houston in my last post as my marathon song & these words were never as apt, exactly how I felt...

"I want one moment in time, When I'm more than I thought I could be, When all of my dreams are a heart beat away, And the answers are all up to me...

Crossing that finish line I had that moment in time, totally exceeding my own expectations & it was all down to me💛

Some stats of the marathon

My overall position was 3024th out of 16057

My position as a woman was 218th out of 4009

My age category was 16th out of 414

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Wottle

Amazing, and more to come based on the size of the negative split.

You are some trio, the connection you guys have seems to hold a bit of an X factor, driving you all to new levels.

Congratulations, smashed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Near tears?! You'll have the rest of us in floods with that report 😍. Your joy is jumping off the screen. You got a shout out from Sonia & Jar too. Really delighted for you Elaine, so richly deserved. Massive congrats to you on a very well executed bank of training and the perfect race performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭marathon2022

What a fantastic result and a report to match, amazing. 16th woman in your age group in a race as big as Amsterdam. Just wow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Marvellous achievement and to do it in such style just shows what a strong runner you are. You really had put in the hard work to make race day look like an trot- brilliant..Loved reading through that too- delighted for ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

A super run E. Delighted that you had a perfect race. Enjoy the celebrations which I hope are still ongoing 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Even though you display confidence in yourself I still feel you don't appreciate how truly exceptional you are.

It's mind blowing. So so happy for you, a result so richly deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent report and a brilliant result there E, very well deserved after a great block and your brilliant enthusiasm that shines through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Superb race - there aren't really words for it, definitely performance of the year material! You make it look easy, in the same way that all the best do!

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments, I really love reading them & appreciate them.

I just hope I don't come across as arrogant in my saying I felt comfortable for the whole marathon, everyone has completely different experiences of races. I have had my fair share of not great ones but hope I have learned from them. I think I have been as honest as I can on my running journey so I hope this comes across. I wish I could bottle the feeling from Amsterdam or literally be able to copy & paste the whole race & store it on my clipboard & use it for my next race but I can't so as runners we just pray that the stars all align for us Without the hard work & commitment I put in day after day for this block then it simply wouldn't have been possible. I had a few chats with C about this on the build up to Amsterdam, running makes me feel so good as a person, it's the one thing that I feel I am naturally good at & therefore putting the hard work in doesn't feel like a chore (well most of the time). Long may my love for this continue😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

100% not arrogant. Anyone reading your log or seeing your runs logged on Strava will know that the result at the weekend was due to a lot of hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Another fantastic report Elaine. You deserved that race and I’m delighted for you. I love that you enjoyed it so much. How wonderful is that!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Great race report and what an amazing result. That negative split is a thing runners dream of and you absolutely aced it !!

Delighted for you. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Great report E on what was a brilliant race and performance. Absolutely nailed it but everything coming together on the day was no fluke, it's reward for long term consistency and dedication.

Looking forward to seeing you pushing on again in 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

What a legend, dream marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

An amazing experience - bottle that feeling!

That negative split is the stuff of dreams - let that be a lesson to us all!!

Great report and a very well deserved PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

What a fantastic race and an amazing report!

Huge well done, not surprising considering the training you've put in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I love it when a plan comes together: well conceived and brilliantly executed in conditions that (to me) do not look straightforward at all, with those areas of congestion and what looks like a tricky enough route to get right. Expertly done! You deserve all of it, for the way you train and the great attitude. Keep buzzing!

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭racersedge

An amazing race report to match an amazing race result. It’s been said already but the result has been in the making with a great training block. There is no better feeling when all the hard work comes to fruition and the plaudits are very well deserved. Your blog as been a joy to read and adds the vivid and vibrant colour to the runs on Strava. No doubt whatever you decide next, you will smash it. Until the next challenge is decided, I am sure you will enjoy the bliss of an incredible race result.

Aw that's so lovely of you to say, I love getting all my thoughts (and waffle) down on this or on paper! Yep there genuinely is no better feeling than knowing you worked really hard & getting the rewards in a race! Thanks so much, still enjoying the buzz but looking forward to the next challenge whatever it may be😊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'm only getting around to the Amsterdam reports now. This looked like a great run on strava, but reading that report adds another layer of gloss - it's just such a quality, polished performance. Bravo E, top class

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Hi,

Sorry for jumping in , would you recommend the EIM plan?

Looking at your results , which are brilliant by the way, you seem to be getting something from it.

I’m just about to buy it but was just looking for some “real life” recommendations.

I used the Boards DCM22 Graduates Thread plan for this years DCM and did it in 3:20 so I was thinking something a bit more dialled in might be a benefit. 

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for the nice comments. I have been doing EIM for a good while now & I absolutely love it, but as you can see from my marathon plan for Amsterdam it was mixed with other stuff which was given to be by @skyblue46 who found EIM training originally & introduced it to me. For this block most of the EIM stuff was done for the 1st half of the block then not a lot after. Now that I'm back running regularly since the marathon I am back doing the 1k , 400's & 200's EIM stuff. I like that it introduces a bit of pace in the actual run but with the walk breaks and generous recoveries it's not like a hard session.

I hope this helps in some way & I'm sure @skyblue46 would give his experience of it. Very best of luck with it!

Advertisement