Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

You're flying. Tullamore is a great race on a tough enough route. 5 more weeks of training to set you up (even more) for the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

As others have said here and elsewhere, that was a great race at the tail end of your marathon block. You're all set for Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That's a real gritty perfromance. It's not easy when you start to struggle from early on, so to hold it together, recover and then respond is pretty amazing to be honest. Well done again - great to have the chats before and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thanks a mill, I am happy with how it went given I didn't have a proper taper in there, this is something I decided on, Amsterdam is my main target & I didn't want too much down time either side of the race. I wish I could tell you what the course was like but it genuinely felt like a blur to me! I know I was on country roads for a good bit but after that not sure! Yes rolling hills for sure.

I can't say I'm a Packers fan but I have read a few of the Lombardi quotes that I really like & relate to! Back with a bang this week, need to put the head down & work as hard as I possibly can.

Thanks a lot for the kind words of encouragement, I really appreciate them. Delighted to see you back doing so well J. Was really great chatting with you also A, defo helps calm the nerves!

• Advertisement

Mon 28th - Rest - Sports massage

Tues 29th -3miles Easy, 5*1k @4:05/10 - 16.32kms - 5:13km avg - 1hr 25min

Went out to the PP again for this, Legs felt a bit leggy for the start of this, still feeling Sat in them but once I got going I was motoring along nicely.

Reps were 4:08, 4:04, 4:40, 4:05, 4:06

Weds 30th - 70mins Steady - 13.80km - 5:06km avg - 1hr 10mins

Enjoyed this!

Thurs 31st - 75mins Easy - 12.73km - 5:40km avg - 1hr 12mins

A nice easy run after work.

Fri 1st - 20mins easy, 2k each @4:45/35,25,15, 10mins easy - 13.4km - 4:56km avg - 1HR 06mins

The PP, my 2nd home at this stage! Beautiful evening around my fav loop. Settled into the 1st 2k rep, going well, next felt good, 3rd rep I was working hard & wondering if I'd get the last ones done to pace, needn't have worried the last rep actually felt easier than the middle ones, madness! This was a great little workout.

Sat 2nd - Rest

Sun 3rd - 10miles easy, 10 miles Steady - 32.44km - 5:16km avg - 2hr 50mins

Was delighted to get to meet C & D for the 1st 10 miles of this. D had a route mapped out so we just followed him. Lot's of great chats & laughs really makes the run fly by. We parted at 10 miles & I set off down to my fav loop to do my 10 miles steady. Again I got into a nice rhythm & the miles just went by so effortlessly. A bit of a breeze coming back up the Chesterfield road coming towards the end of the run which made me feel like it was a bit more of an effort, but overall very happy with it & having another 20miler done.

Sat down to have myself a little picnic (choc milk, lucozade, banana) behind my car & spotted D at the end of his so he sat down beside me for a few mins & cursed me as we both found it tough to get back up! Another nice week done!

2* S & C Classes done this week also.

Mileage for the week - 88.67km - 55.1miles

Mileage for the year so far -2,529.08 km - 1,571.5miles

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Catching up.

Great training and a great race in Tullamore. I wouldn't worry too much about the result - it was a very humid day on a tough enough route - I know a few running buddies who struggled also. Half Marathons are tough to race while in Marathon prep. Your legs are fatigued and you add the fatigue of a HM on top. In difficult conditions.

Fairly sure you'll have a good next few weeks!

Thanks so much A means a lot😊

Monday 4th - 10k easy - 10.55km - 5:45km avg - 1hr

Easy run after work.

Tuesday 5th - 16k moderate - 16.05km - 4:58km avg - 1hr 19mins

Headed out to the PP for this, a beautiful warm evening. Settled into this nicely trying to keep the effort as even as possible, absolutely sh!t myself when I seen a 4:37 rep😲 slowed it down & got back on track.

Wednesday 6th - 2k E, 6*1mile@4:20/25 off 3mins, 2k E - 19.16km - 5:03km avg - 1hr 36mins

Again headed out to the PP for this after work, again a very warm sunny evening. Wasn't really sure what I would manage on this as I was defo feeling the cumulative fatigue, not so much in my sessions yet but more in my easy running & how tired I felt in general, I assured myself that this was the normal process of marathon training. Met S and did my 1st 2km with him, my watch beeped & off I went for the mile reps. The 1st 3 went fine, feeling the heat, sweating a lot but still feeling comfortable in regards to the running. The 4th rep beeped & off I went, I could feel my legs getting a bit leggy towards the end of this, crap I thought but continued on. The 5th felt like more of an effort, dripping with sweat at this stage but still pushing myself on wondering how I was gonna complete the last one. Somehow the last one felt way better, thank god, I felt really happy as I felt strong finishing this out despite feeling a bit zapped during it, 2k easy to finish it off - happy with that!

the reps came in at 4:22, 4:22, 4:22, 4:23, 4:24, 4:22

Thursday 7th - 16k easy - 16.12km - 5:43km avg - 1hr 32mins

Nice easy run on my lunch break, good thing about working flexi hours is getting to take a slightly longer lunch.

Friday 8th - 20k easy - 21.02km - 5:28km avg - 1hr 54mins

Another gorgeous evening after work & decided to run to Corkagh Park, did a loop then ran the rest of the path outside the park. Somehow my strava is telling me I ran a 3:45mile, happy days! Enjoyed this & doing it on a different route defo helped, not quite sure how but I managed to do 21km instead of 20🙄

Sat 9th - Rest Day

Sunday 10th - 1hr steady, 5*3mins@MP off 3mins, 30mins steady - 24km - 5:00km avg - 2hrs

Had arranged to meet @Lazare & @Sandwell for this run, plan was to run the 1st hour steady with them. We followed a route similar to what we had done the previous week with D, the miles flew by & felt very comfortable having the chats with the 2 lads, I love chatting about running & we all shared out thoughts & views on different things. We ended up nicely back on Chesterfield just in time for me to start my MP reps. I said cheers to the lads & off I went on my fav loop! I was a little apprehensive about these given how I had felt on Weds but I honestly needn't have bothered, they went really well, keep focused & kept the recoveries honest, couldn't believe when it finished. Now just for another half hour steady, 2 more loops around then back to the visitor centre. Actually felt buzzing after this, more so I think because of how I had felt during the week!

Reps came in at 4:33, 4:35, 4:37, 4:37, 4:39

2* S & C Classes done this week also.

Mileage for the week - 106.86km - 66.4miles

Mileage for the year so far -2,635.94 km - 1,637.9miles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Awesome stuff E, you're absolutely flying it.

So great to run with you again today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Another crackin' week E, you're really stringing them together now! It's not surprising you're feeling some fatigue but you seem to be handling the load really well.

Monster week there E, nicely done.

Monday 11th - 10k easy

An early run, should have been a standard run but my calf started to bother me towards the end & it gradually got worse as the day went on. Luckily there was no sudden shooting pain that stopped me in my tracks but I was limping by the time I was heading to the physio & feeling quite anxious! The physio examined it & was happy enough to say it wasn’t anything really serious but more than likely a stress reaction, not really a lot I could have done to avoid it. I have upped my level of training for this marathon & he said it was just one of those things. 2 options put to me, a tough massage on it or dry needling, dry needling he felt would be the better longer term solution (but obvs no guarantees) it would require 2 days off running, which I was so apprehensive about but knew it could have been a whole lot worse, also he said it was going to be quite painful & would get a lot worse the next day before it would get better! At this stage I needed to just trust him & I did so that’s what I went for. It was the most painful thing I have ever had done (I’ve had children & tattoos) I genuinely hope I never ever have to get this done again. He felt so sorry for me & even text me later that day to say he hated that part of his job & hoped I was ok. As the evening went on I drank litres & litres of water. It was getting worse, I was using a crutch at this stage & was an emotional wreck! When you have something like this happen it is very very easy for your mind to go to a dark place, you are lying if you say you can remain positive when you really aren’t guaranteed this will have you back running soon.

Tuesday 12th – Rest

Woke up in bits, luckily I was wfh as I couldn’t put my leg flat on the ground never mind drive! I drank water & did everything else I was told to do. Physio & S checked in with me, both reassuring me I’d be ok. I honestly couldn’t believe that there was a chance I’d be back running on Thurs, but I had to believe!

Wednesday 13th - Rest

Still in a lot of pain & again feeling very emotional, it’s unusual for everyone in my house to feel sorry for me but they all did, constantly checking if I needed anything. I was a hobbling nightmare, I couldn’t look or talk to anyone, genuinely felt quite sorry for myself. I know for a fact they thought there’s no way I’d be running a marathon but I knew I really had to believe the process would work so as the evening went on I started to feel more positive.

Thursday 14th - 16k easy

Hallelujah it was a miracle I could walk properly!! This was to be a 10k run to see how I felt & only if I felt good I could do the full 16k. The start of the run I was very paranoid about every little thing, but thankfully the more I ran the more I relaxed so was happy to do the 16k. Did all my stretches afterwards & wore my calf sleeves which will probably be worn all the time for now.

Friday 15th – 1hr easy

The advice this week was to do all easy runs to see how the calf held up so missed a session here, but the main thing was that I was getting better!

Sat 16th - Rest Day

Sunday 17th – 3hrs Easy- 24km

Again the advice was to play it by ear, any sharp sudden pains I was to stop. I had been running a bit on grass where I could so I decided to do as much of this around the Acres & any large parts of grass really in the PP. I managed the majority of it on the grass, I found it extremely boring & found the effort levels are defo a lot tougher on grass but anything that helped at this stage was just getting done!

Mon 18th – 30min easy

Back to the physio for work on the calf.

Tues 19th – 3k E, 3k each @4:44/4:35/4:25, 3k E

Out to the park for this around my fav loop. Each 3k went really well, thought I messed up programming it but turns out it glitched for 1k messing it up a bit but I was happy enough I corrected it on the run & did it as best I could.

Weds 20th – 16k easy

Easy on a very windy evening, this was mostly on the local GAA pitch calf holding up well thank god.

Thurs 21st – 70mins easy

Another easy run.

Fri 22nd – 4k E, 3*10 mins @hm off 4 mins, 4k E

Out to the park for this, yep on my loop, felt like I was getting my confidence back here, not being as cautious as I have been & enjoying the sessions.

Sat 23rd – 10k Easy

Sun 24th – 2k E, 25k@4:56, 2k E

This was to be at the slightly faster end of steady. Again ran in the PP & on my fav loop. Was happy with how this felt & the pace & effort levels felt good. Bumped into C who still had some of his own steady run to do so he joined me. It was amazing to have company for a fair few loops & the time just passed so quickly!

Mon 25th – Rest

Tues 26th – 3k E, 2*15mins @hm off 3mins, 3k E

My hubby asked if I have a designated parking space in the park yet as I’m here so much! I am a creature of comfort & familiarity & although I do love change sometimes after the calf I really felt having this familiarity was really helping me with my confidence! A beautiful evening in the park & managed each HM section really well.

Weds 27th – 8k E, 8k Steady

What an awful day for a run! I’m not one to ever shy away from a run because of the weather but it was so dark, windy & wet I would have skipped this if an option. It wasn’t as bad as I imagined thankfully but I was completely soaked, straight into a shower afterwards feeling like a badass after running in it!

Thurs 28th – 8k E & 5 strides

Nice easy run with some strides thrown in.

Fri 29th – 2k E, 12k @MP (4:40/4:44) 2k E

Out to the park for this, a beautiful evening again, blessed with the weather at the moment. Settled into the MP & was happy enough with the paces & efforts. Another one ticked off & feeling good!

Sat 30th – 40mins E

Sun 1st Oct – 2k E, 22k@ 4:56, 2k E

Yes you guessed, back out to my 2nd home & my fav loop!! Did the warm up then settled into my pace with ease. Finding these runs really good for the confidence & for feeling quite strong really. The park was packed with runners, was brilliant to see. Lots of smiles, waves & just encouragement from other runners & walkers, I absolutely love it!I used this as a practice run for all my gear & runners & I took on a couple of gels for it. Happy to say all went well.

Sorry about the long update, lots of other things going on in the background that have been consuming a lot of my time. I am feeling tired in the evenings so sleep has really been prioritized also, I think I am eating & hydrating pretty good & keeping up the protein & carb intake as much as possible. Other than the little blip(we can call it that now👀) with the calf I really feel like I have stepped up my training & have really enjoyed this block(huge thanks to S for putting it together), I genuinely can’t believe the marathon is so close, getting very excited indeed! Now to just enjoy the taper madness(said no one ever!!)

Also found out during the week that the women's qualifying time for Berlin next year was amended so now it's 3:30 so my Dublin time for last year gets me a spot, absolutely thrilled & no pressure to run the 3:20 I thought I needed in Amsterdam to qualify but obviously I still want to run Amsterdam as best I can😊

Fair play if you have lasted this long reading all this!!😉

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Plenty in that update alright! Good to hear you got on top of the calf issue pretty quickly...I can't compare it with childbirth or tattoos but interesting to hear you describe the level of pain you'd compare it too. I had a sciatica issue around 2016 that was sorted out by dry needing into the piriformis muscle in the backside. Sweet jesus I fair grimmaced and sweated during those sessions but it does work!

The calf shields are definitely a good option it seems if you are feeling anything off there. Enjoy the taper now and get plenty of sleep if you can.

Yeah sorry it is quite long👀🤣 Yes the calf sleeves have become a part of my running gear now!

I thought I had a fairly high pain threshold, 3 natural births with last baby being 9lb 2ozs🤣but I honestly wouldn't like to have to get the dry needling done again!

Thanks a mill, will enjoy the taper as much as anyone can👀🤣

I think I'm learning that we have to accept as masters runners that the body will creak somewhat at the business end of an intense block, and we'll have these occasions where we need to rest up for a couple of extra days.

And that's ok. In the past I've been too quick to use the dreaded i word, but in reality it's the b word.

A blip.

So so happy for you that the 3:20 pressure is off you now, all the more reason for you to smash it.

Believe.

I think I'm learning that as masters runners we need to expect that the body will creak somewhat at the business end of an intense block. That an extra couple of days rest may be needed. And that's ok.

I've been guilty in the past of jumping straight to the dreaded i word, when in reality it's just as you said, the b word. A blip.

Am so so happy for you that the 3:20 pressure is off. All the more reason for you to go and smash it. 💪

Believe.

Yep totally agree!

Excited now C, I'll be a hyper f@ck in the airport, god help yis🤣🤣

😆😆 Can't wait

Monday 2nd - 8k easy

Headed out to the PP to meet S. Nice run with a lot of the chat about the marathon. Had my plan in my head but just wanted to sound things out, nice cuppa & cake afterwards.

Tuesday 3rd – 10k easy

Lunch run, legs a little leggy but nothing too bad.

Wednesday 4th - EIM 4*1K

Another lunch run, really enjoyed this as it's been a while since I did any EIM stuff.

Thursday 5th - 8k easy

After work run, nice n easy.

Friday 6th – 3K easy, 2*6K@MP off 5mins, 3K easy

Set off out to the PP after work on a beautiful evening. The park was busy enough with other runners, settled into the MP section & got a nice rhythm going around my fav loop. A couple of these reps were a bit on the fast side so I made sure to control the next set. I was on my 2nd last loop around at MP & on the OS side the tarmac path has a few bumps in it which I'm usually very careful of, In a world of my own I got the fright of my life as I started falling & there was no way of stopping. It felt like I was falling for ages before I hit the tarmac & slid on my hands! I was quite startled as I have never ever fallen before. The 1st thing I did was jump up & check to see if anyone was looking or worse recording it 🤣 Once I knew no one was around I just continued on but as I was going the stinging in my hands started, ugh it was awful but thankfully everything else was fine including my knees! Finished the session out strong & was happy with it.

Sat 7th - Rest Day

Sunday 8th – 16km easy

PP again this morning to meet S & C. A nice run on what was a beautiful morning, the park was buzzing with lots of runners, always great to see. Meet C then afterwards & we went for a cuppa, Scones & some great chats. The excitement was building now.

Mon 9th – 8k easy

Easy in the sun after work.

Tues 10th – 3K easy, 2*3K@MP -7/10 secs off 5mins, 2K easy

Had to get this done at lunchtime as I had my last sports massage after work. Mon & today felt quite stressed with work, a course I signed up for & life really, then throw in maranoia & bang stress! I was already apprehensive about this because ideally I would have liked to do it in the park on my loop but for obvious reasons I couldn't! Set off on the easy bit & as I turned to head up the KT road the wind hit me, was very strong so just thought nah I won't be able to do this! The watch beeped to start & I eased into the pace & surprisingly I felt ok with it, I actually knew it was fine but the mind was being a bit negative. The 2nd set was back & this felt really good too, was very relieved & happy to get this right more for the head than anything else!

The massage went well & he said my legs felt really good, nothing at all to worry about.

Weds 11th – 9k easy

Easy after work, god my legs felt great.

Thurs 12th – 7k easy

Another easy lunch run

So basically that's a wrap for my Amsterdam Marathon block. A block I am very proud of. Anyone that knows me or follows my running journey knows that I love running & I'm not afraid of hard work & consistency. The difference this time round is that I feel I have stepped up a bit for this block with the only real blip being my calf issue a couple of weeks ago. My nutrition has been pretty decent along with my sleep(most of the time) & not drinking over the last 6 weeks or so has benefited me in all aspects of my life I think. I would love to get my sub 3:20, that's what I have trained for but as the week went on I became much more relaxed about it all really. I feel really grateful that I get to go to these wonderful places running races, doing something I truly love so I want to make sure I truly enjoy the whole experience & especially as I will have my family around me.

Do I think I can go sub 3:20? Yes I do, my training has defo suggested this, am I guaranteed to go sub 3:20? nope not at all but I'll give it a damn good try😉

I can say I am really looking forward to a few ciders after with S & C who have been a brilliant support to me throughout & great company on runs too, along with a few more here on boards. That 1st cider will taste oh so sweet😁

The excitement right now is brilliant, genuinely just can't wait to get started... I will log off now with some of the words of a song that I have adopted as My marathon song going back to my very 1st marathon DCM 2019, this song is my anthem & these words say it all right now!

"I've lived to be

The very best

I want it all

No time for less

I've laid the plans

Now lay the chance

Here in my hands"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

The very best of luck Elaine, as you say, you have put the work in now it's time to relax and enjoy the day. Your log is one of the first I go to here and I love reading your updates full of joy and positivity. I've said before you're a great inspiration for others.

Have a FANTASTIC marathon 🙌

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

An excellent block E, the very best of luck with the race on the day. Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats on a fantastic block of training E, all the very best on Sunday, go and smash it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck in Amsterdam E. I haven’t been keeping up with the logs lately I’m afraid. I hope you have a brilliant weekend.

The very best of luck tomorrow E. You've put in another super block of training there and I've no doubt you'll run a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Wottle

Positive vibes sent your way, have fun with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Best of luck E.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Well done, great run. Very impressive negative split.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for this race report 👏 👏

Advertisement