Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway – the city of rain and self-aggrandisement?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

In fairness Dogs Bay would be right up there as one of the nicest beaches in the country.

To paraphrase Cousin Avi "So who the fcuck wants to see it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Everything I posted is factually correct pal.

Going on about beaches an hour and a half drive away is stupid.

70/75 mins. And mentioned in response to a Dublin-based poster highlighting Dublin's proximity to beaches. Of which I'm struggling to think of any great ones within that 75 min drive. Possibly explains why so many from the east coast descend weekly on Roundstone.

To paraphrase Cousin Avi "So who the fcuck wants to see it?"

Mainly moneyed Dubs it seems.

I’m from Galway, dude, and like the place. It’s just that some of those who decide to live there have a very inflated opinion of what the place is actually like - it’s a town with a few decent pubs and a small and self-regarding arts ‘scene’.

Aren't you living in Dublin? And posted earlier about the advantages of that city that I replied to with an alternative viewpoint?

The arts scene may be self-regarding. Aren't they all? But it also has a national & international regard going by the attention and rewards in receives in the national & foreign press.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

It's clear this thread had turned into trolls paradise.They're on a wind-up, plain and simple. I wouldn't bother trying to defend or explain the city to them any longer.

• Advertisement

Everything I posted is factually correct pal.

Going on about beaches an hour and a half drive away is stupid.

Backed up with empirical evidence and data. Links to studies and reports please.

Not to mention the fact that when you get there you're immediately blasted by gale force Atlantic winds and the flesh assaulted by icy,driving rain even in summer.

That's just the weather. That's without the hordes of mealy-mouthed sleeveens that inhabit this barren wasteland...Enthusiastically gouging every last penny from the unsuspecting visitor for deep-fried pub grub,substandard accommodation and the right to park in some ghastly poxhole from the famine era.

So, in essence, you admire our business acumen?

It's clear this thread had turned into trolls paradise.They're on a wind-up, plain and simple. I wouldn't bother trying to defend or explain the city to them any longer.

How do they find the time in the midst of all their tax-paying endeavours to fund our new ring road?

And yeah, you're right. It's an achievement of sorts to find pleasure in the bank holiday trolling of others.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Great times. Lived in Galway for a year in the mid-80s and dropped in occasionally when back in the country from the UK. The Waterboys jamming in the then tiny Quays bar several times a week was a highlight. More innocent and fun times, eh?

Different now but there are loads of great bars on the west side of the river. Salt House and Bierhaus for Craft Beer, The Crane for trad, the Roisin Dubh for indie & everything else, Taylors for the old town crowd, Aras na nGael for Gaelic and reggae, E Brun for locals and blues music. Hard not to enjoy a night there.

But hey, great pubs all over the country.

Wow you lived in galway in the 80s you must be old i wasnt even born..You seem to be the only person continuously posting on this thread its a bank holiday weekend :( dont you have to wash or eat something old timer?? maybe its time to log off

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Dublin-based poster gave 'proximity to mountains and beaches' as an argument for the city. Thus proximity to gorgeous Connemara and Clare beaches is a fair reply.

Dublin has superb beaches, you dont need to travel 110 miles to get to one in Wexford when theres Velvet Strand in Portmarnock and Burrow beach in Sutton right on the door step. Just down the road Wicklow has a plethora of golden sand beaches too plus it doesnt rain on them 2 out of 3 three days like it does in Galway. I'd a lovely stroll on Brittas Bay beach yesterday while at the same time Galway was suffering a yellow rain warning, on an August bank holiday no less. No point having decent beaches if you cant use them in the height of summer.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Dublin has superb beaches, you dont need to travel 110 miles to get to one in Wexford when theres Velvet Strand in Portmarnock and Burrow beach in Sutton right on the door step. Just down the road Wicklow has a plethora of golden sand beaches too plus it doesnt rain on them 2 out of 3 three days like it does in Galway. I'd a lovely stroll on Brittas Bay beach yesterday while at the same time Galway was suffering a yellow rain warning, on an August bank holiday no less. No point having decent beaches if you cant use them in the height of summer.

Tell your neighbours then. Save them the journey of heading westwards every Summer weekend.

And yes, hard not to concede the point re weather on this holiday weekend.

Wow you lived in galway in the 80s you must be old i wasnt even born..You seem to be the only person continuously posting on this thread its a bank holiday weekend :(dont you have to wash or eat something old timer?? maybe its time to log off

Your Wildean wit forces me to admit defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Work and timing innit? Will give you a full PM breakdown of my agenda for that day if you'd like further info.

It's just a perfect example of why there needs to be car bans on more streets, people making such frivolous journeys and choking us with nox. Talk about going about things arseways

cgcsb wrote: »
    It's just a perfect example of why there needs to be car bans on more streets, people making such frivolous journeys and choking us with nox. Talk about going about things arseways

I'll get the in-laws to parachute in from Central Europe next time so no driving required. But it'll be a covert operation so no spilling the beans please.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tell your neighbours then. Save them the journey of heading westwards every Summer weekend.

And yes, hard not to concede the point re weather on this holiday weekend.

I dont think anyone goes to Galway specifically for beaches, Kerry and Donegal are far better places for that. Its the drink they go to Galway for, sure we've all done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Seathrun, could you perhaps just let it go?

Signed: a born and bred Galwegian, who is perfectly happy for the naysayers to think what they want and not come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm actually laughing out loud at the viscious comments. Very cattty

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I dont think anyone goes to Galway specifically for beaches, Kerry and Donegal are far better places for that. Its the drink they go to Galway for, sure we've all done it.

Galway City for the drink. But the beaches in Galway, Mayo and Clare match those in Donegal & Kerry. Sligo & Limerick not too shabby either.

Ficheall wrote: »

Signed: a born and bred Galwegian, who is perfectly happy for the naysayers to think what they want and not come here.

Ficheall, I believe a few of the less serene posters here are unlikely to ever stray from their own Eircodes. So worry not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

#NOTMYRESIDENT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I think I found the article that Aongus was referring to: https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/galway-like-a-local-inside-irelands-no-1-home-holiday-destination-36535735.html

There is a real bang of small town smugness about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I think I found the article that Aongus was referring to: https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/galway-like-a-local-inside-irelands-no-1-home-holiday-destination-36535735.html

There is a real bang of small town smugness about it.
    "They’re both beautiful old pubs, but still have a bit of a modern slant to them and visions that I really like"

They have wifi, basically. Load of self regarding ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    "They’re both beautiful old pubs, but still have a bit of a modern slant to them and visions that I really like"

They have wifi, basically. Load of self regarding ****e.

And a beer tap with some undrinkable swill made by a man with a beard in a shed.

And a beer tap with some undrinkable swill made by a man with a beard in a shed.
    I'm not a big drinker to begin with but this craft beer boom is one of the biggest rackets I have ever seen. All you have to do is sell a crap beer with a label that looks like an Iron Maiden album cover and an IPA that tastes like medicine and people think your pub is modern and stylish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I'm not a big drinker to begin with but this craft beer boom is one of the biggest rackets I have ever seen. All you have to do is sell a crap beer with a label that looks like an Iron Maiden album cover and an IPA that tastes like medicine and people think your pub is modern and stylish.
    As opposed to spending €7/8 on a shtink Guinness or Heineken in Dublin? I know where my money would go. It would be on a well made, highly regarded, flavourful, local product. Each to their own though, Dubs enjoy their heroin and Guinness, who am I to tell them not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just back from Galway City today, it has its plusses and minuses like anywhere, but generally I like it for the food and the music and the walkable City, but I wouldn't go for Races weekend again, it was messy around.

As opposed to spending €7/8 on a shtink Guinness or Heineken in Dublin? I know where my money would go. It would be on a well made, highly regarded, flavourful, local product. Each to their own though, Dubs enjoy their heroin and Guinness, who am I to tell them not to.
    Sir if you think that I would take any offence to someone slagging Dublin off, then you are very much mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I went to college in Galway and loved it - combines all the benefits of a big city without actually being a big city - anyone who doesn't like Galway most likely hates themselves

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Your Wildean wit forces me to admit defeat.

Your self-aggrandizing responses have been funny though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ficheall wrote: »

Ah, fair play to him at this stage. Anyone who takes the fight to the trolls is a hero in my book.

Waging an indefatigable war against idiocy in this thread. Fair play; I wouldn't have the patience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement