Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did Jesus allow demons to enter a herd of pigs?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

It's good to hear
    It's good to hear that you get such benefit from your faith. The God that you pray to, is that the same God that the 1.3 billion Muslims pray to? I'm not trying to be smart I just need someone to clarify these things.

Muslims don't believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God or in the Trinity or in any other number of essential beliefs that Christians do. They deny the essential place of the cross in solving the problem of how a holy God dwells with a sinful people.

Despite popular belief the difference between Christianity and Islam is not small. Islamic teaching about Jesus deviates so far from Christianity that they cannot be said to be the same in this regard.

In fact that Qur'an is pretty revisionist in what it does share in common with Christianity, even in accounts from the Old Testament that feature it differs on important points.

In short - no they don't believe in the same God. If they believed in the same God, they would believe the same things about Jesus. That's basically the same approach Jesus took to explaining it in John 5 for example.
    For the works that the Father has given me to accomplish, the very works that I am doing, bear witness about me that the Father has sent me. And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen, and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe the one whom he has sent. You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life. I do not receive glory from people. But I know that you do not have the love of God within you. I have come in my Father's name, and you do not receive me. If another comes in his own name, you will receive him. How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God? Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father. There is one who accuses you: Moses, on whom you have set your hope. For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Muslims don't believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God or in the Trinity or in any other number of essential beliefs that Christians do. They deny the essential place of the cross in solving the problem of how a holy God dwells with a sinful people.

Despite popular belief the difference between Christianity and Islam is not small. Islamic teaching about Jesus deviates so far from Christianity that they cannot be said to be the same in this regard.

In fact that Qur'an is pretty revisionist in what it does share in common with Christianity, even in accounts from the Old Testament that feature it differs on important points.

In short - no they don't believe in the same God. If they believed in the same God, they would believe the same things about Jesus. That's basically the same approach Jesus took to explaining it in John 5 for example.

So what you're saying is that 1.3billion people believe in one God and 2.3 billion people believe in a different God not to mention the other couple of billion who believe in a completely different assortment of Gods!
    Is it any wonder that I along with many others are sceptical about the whole thing.

So what you're saying is that 1.3billion people believe in one God and 2.3 billion people believe in a different God not to mention the other couple of billion who believe in a completely different assortment of Gods!
    Is it any wonder that I along with many others are sceptical about the whole thing.

If I answered yes to your question would that have changed anything? If so what would it have changed?

If you're sceptical that's up to you. My job is simply to point you to Jesus and the Scriptures and encourage you to look at Him in them. Being sceptical doesn't make the question of who Jesus was and what He did in history go away.

If you wish to explore that further that's great. If not that's up to you. Go well and God bless you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

In short - no they don't believe in the same God. If they believed in the same God, they would believe the same things about Jesus.

Nah, same god. Just different stories about him.
    You hardly think there’s two different gods in heaven do you?

Originally Posted by realdanbreen View Post

If I answered yes to your question would that have changed anything? If so what would it have changed?

If you're sceptical that's up to you. My job is simply to point you to Jesus and the Scriptures and encourage you to look at Him in them. Being sceptical doesn't make the question of who Jesus was and what He did in history go away.

If you wish to explore that further that's great. If not that's up to you. Go well and God bless you.
    theological is online now Report Post

Answering yes would not have changed anything but not giving a straight answer to my post isn't much help either.
    Do you think the 2.3billion Christians and the 1.3billion muslims are worshiping the same God?

• Advertisement

Answering yes would not have changed anything but not giving a straight answer to my post isn't much help either.
    Do you think the 2.3billion Christians and the 1.3billion muslims are worshiping the same God?

What part of this isn't a straight answer? Did you read my post?
    In short - no they don't believe in the same God.
    Effects wrote: »
    Nah, same god. Just different stories about him.
    You hardly think there’s two different gods in heaven do you?

Quite.

I don't believe that there are two gods. That's why I don't believe that there can be two hugely contradictory ideas concerning who He is.

God has revealed Himself fully in His Word and through His Son Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,332 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Mmm. The same logic would lead to the conclusion that Jews and Christians don't believe in the same God. But the same Christians who tell you they worship a different God from Muslims would indignantly deny that they worship a differfent God from Jews.

Jews, Christians and Muslims all worship the same God - the One God, the omnipotentent, omniscient, all-loving God who created all things other than himself, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob. If there's an outlier among the three groups its the Christians, who believe that God is Trinity, and that God became incarnate in the person of Jesus. Jews and Muslims both deny this.

Whatever other differences they may have, Jews and Muslims are in absolutely no doubt, and never have been in any doubt, that they both worship the same God. And they agree that Christians also worship that God, albeit that Christians have some pretty odd ideas about him. This presents a real problem for those Christians who wish to claim that they worship the God of the Jews, but that Muslims worship a different God, because that's very hard to reconcile with the fact that Jewish and Muslim ideas about God have a lot more in common with one another than either of them do with Christian ideas.

I think I must be forgiven for being sceptical and certainly confused when interested and knowledgeable guys like yourselves cannot even agree on how many God's there are!

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Mmm. The same logic would lead to the conclusion that Jews and Christians don't believe in the same God. But the same Christians who tell you they worship a different God from Muslims would indignantly deny that they worship a differfent God from Jews.

Jews, Christians and Muslims all worship the same God - the One God, the omnipotentent, omniscient, all-loving God who created all things other than himself, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob. If there's an outlier among the three groups its the Christians, who believe that God is Trinity, and that God became incarnate in the person of Jesus. Jews and Muslims both deny this.

Whatever other differences they may have, Jews and Muslims are in absolutely no doubt, and never have been in any doubt, that they both worship the same God. And they agree that Christians also worship that God, albeit that Christians have some pretty odd ideas about him. This presents a real problem for those Christians who wish to claim that they worship the God of the Jews, but that Muslims worship a different God, because that's very hard to reconcile with the fact that Jewish and Muslim ideas about God have a lot more in common with one another than either of them do with Christian ideas.

I'm not actually sure the Islamic view of God coheres as closely to the Jewish idea of God. There are also fundamental differences there too. For example, who is the child of the promise, and the nature of sin. I don't think the Jewish idea of God post-rejection of Jesus is actually the same God either.

In so far as they reject Him as coming from the Son of God, they don't believe in the same God as the God Moses spoke about. That's the point that He is labouring at the end of John 5.

Jesus is the one who makes God known (1:18). Jesus is the very word of God who spoke from creation (1:1-3).

If we say that Jews and Muslims believe in the same God, we are denying that belief in Jesus is essential to knowing God in His true form.

In one of the more heated exchanges Jesus has in John's gospel we see the following:
    Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.

I don't worship the same God as Jews who have rejected Jesus, because believing in Jesus is essential to knowing God.

Shying away from the distinctives and the centrality of the Christian gospel namely that Jesus is fully God and fully man and that this is essential to God's character sells Jesus short.

That's why I reject the idea that Christians follow the same God as Muslims and Jews. We don't, we follow the God of the Bible who is revealed to us supremely in Jesus Christ (Hebrews 1:1).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

santana75 wrote: »
    What is this about? Why would Jesus allow any concession to demons? Why not just cast them out and throw them into the so called bottomless pit? It seems like a compassionate act by Jesus, but compassion for demons, why?

Sure they'd be family wouldn't they?
    ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    Finally, it shows Jesus' authority over all created things, including the demons - they can only do what he permits them to do.

Why doesn't he just tell them to behave themselves so? Or to stay in the bottomless pit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Could somebody please advise on the one true God?

- If it helps I'm deeply judgemental, hypocritical, misogynistic, homophobic and very small-minded...... I'm also ridiculously intolerant of the beliefs of others.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not actually sure the Islamic view of God coheres as closely to the Jewish idea of God. There are also fundamental differences there too. For example, who is the child of the promise, and the nature of sin. I don't think the Jewish idea of God post-rejection of Jesus is actually the same God either.

In so far as they reject Him as coming from the Son of God, they don't believe in the same God as the God Moses spoke about. That's the point that He is labouring at the end of John 5.

Jesus is the one who makes God known (1:18). Jesus is the very word of God who spoke from creation (1:1-3).

If we say that Jews and Muslims believe in the same God, we are denying that belief in Jesus is essential to knowing God in His true form.

In one of the more heated exchanges Jesus has in John's gospel we see the following:

I don't worship the same God as Jews who have rejected Jesus, because believing in Jesus is essential to knowing God.

Shying away from the distinctives and the centrality of the Christian gospel namely that Jesus is fully God and fully man and that this is essential to God's character sells Jesus short.

That's why I reject the idea that Christians follow the same God as Muslims and Jews. We don't, we follow the God of the Bible who is revealed to us supremely in Jesus Christ (Hebrews 1:1).
    Well, you're consistent, I'll say that for you.

But I think your position is too extreme, and is contradicted by scripture. If "believing in Jesus is essential to knowing God", as you say, then nobody who lived before the time of Jesus can be said to have known God - not the patriarchs, not the prophets, nobody. On your view, then, Jews have never worshipped God. But of course that view is abundantly contradicted in scripture.

I think your problem here is that you are equating "knowing God' and "worshipping God". This is wrong, if only because, with our limited understanding and our fallen humanity, we can never fully know God. To worship God it's not necessary to know him fully, or even to know him as fully as you might; it's enough to seek him. Those who never hear the message of Jesus, or who hear it but do not accept it, may perhaps be said to know God less than they otherwise would, but it can't be said that, as a result, they don't worship God.

Mango Joe wrote: »

- If it helps I'm deeply judgemental, hypocritical, misogynistic, homophobic and very small-minded...... I'm also ridiculously intolerant of the beliefs of others.

Thanks in advance.
    Well, my advice would be that, if you want to get closer to the one true God, you need to be ready to let go of all these characteristics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Well, my advice would be that, if you want to get closer to the one true God, you need to be ready to let go of all these characteristics.

Ok but it seems fair to say up front that I'll be looking for those within my chosen religion to lead by example.....

Ah...I'm sure that won't be an issue.

Ok but it seems fair to say up front that I'll be looking for those within my chosen religion to lead by example.....

Ah...I'm sure that won't be an issue.
    Ah, well that's another reason why you should let go of your hypocrisy, judgmentalism, intolerance, etc. Doing so will greatly simplify your quest. Whereas if you retain your commitment to those characteristics, you'll be bewildered by the wide choice of movements led by people who exemplify them. If you're not too hung up on the one true God thing you might even find a few nonreligious movements that will fit the bill.

Thanks in advance.
    Well for a start obviously you are not Catholic. ......Oh hang on..........never mind.

Well, you're consistent, I'll say that for you.

But I think your position is too extreme, and is contradicted by scripture. If "believing in Jesus is essential to knowing God", as you say, then nobody who lived before the time of Jesus can be said to have known God - not the patriarchs, not the prophets, nobody. On your view, then, Jews have never worshipped God. But of course that view is abundantly contradicted in scripture.

I think your problem here is that you are equating "knowing God' and "worshipping God". This is wrong, if only because, with our limited understanding and our fallen humanity, we can never fully know God. To worship God it's not necessary to know him fully, or even to know him as fully as you might; it's enough to seek him. Those who never hear the message of Jesus, or who hear it but do not accept it, may perhaps be said to know God less than they otherwise would, but it can't be said that, as a result, they don't worship God.

I appreciate this is a cheeky question, but if you think I'm "extreme" for quoting the words of Jesus verbatim from the gospel, then do you also think that Jesus was extreme? Surely you can see that that is problematic if so?

In order to worship, you need to be aware of who you are worshipping. Who you are worshipping is crucially important. The identity of the God we worship depends on what He has revealed to us about Himself. That isn't a minor detail.

I don't agree that the patriarchs didn't know God, or the prophets. They knew and acknowledged God as He revealed Himself to them. I believe Scripture is a progressive revelation.

Now about the patriarchs and the prophets, we know God in a much clearer way now than they did then in and through Christ. The Scriptures are clear about that we have in Christ what the prophets and what angels longed to see. (1 Peter 1:12).

But to continually deny the Son of God, after Christ, is a rejection of God's eternal nature based on what He has revealed about Himself.

The Son of God is an essential fundamental characteristic of who God is in His triune nature. In so far as Jews and Muslims don't honour Jesus as they should, I can't say they worship the same God, because Jesus Himself wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

The Son of God is an essential fundamental characteristic of who God is in His triune nature. In so far as Jews and Muslims don't honour Jesus as they should, I can't say they worship the same God, because Jesus Himself wouldn't.

You really can't over-emphasise the importance of this point. I would readily concede that there are similarities between the Christian, Jewish and Muslim ideas of God - they are all monotheistic religions after all, who see God as all powerful etc. etc.

The problem, as theological has pointed out, is that once we start to ask more specific questions like "What is God like?" "How has he revealed himself?" "How do we relate to him?" "What does he expect of us?" etc., the answers are radically different.

The statement that Christians, Jews and Muslims all worship the same God is true only at the most superficial level. It is also a convenient way of denying that we need to take any of them too seriously if they all basically teach the same things - a very popular notion today. Not saying that you're doing this Peregrinus, but it is a common escape hatch for anyone who wants to dismiss specific Christian, Jewish or Muslim religious ideas that they aren't comfortable with. Christianity, Judaism and Islam all make exclusive claims that cannot be reconciled with one another - maybe none of them are right, but we shouldn't pretend that they can all be right at the same time.

It's still the same God, you just follow them in a different way to Muslims and Jews.

The statement that Christians, Jews and Muslims all worship the same God is true only at the most superficial leve . . .
    On the contrary, it's profoundly true, both theologically and historically.

I accept, of course, that Christians, Jews and Muslims have some different ideas about God. Indeed, that's true within each of those three religions as well as between them. But this doesn't mean that they worship different Gods. To claim that it does is to claim that the reality of the God we worship is determined by our conceptions about him - that God is, in the most literal sense, a creature of our imagination.

• Advertisement

I appreciate this is a cheeky question, but if you think I'm "extreme" for quoting the words of Jesus verbatim from the gospel, then do you also think that Jesus was extreme? Surely you can see that that is problematic if so?
    It's not the words of scripture that I call extreme, but the interpretation you place on them.
    In order to worship, you need to be aware of who you are worshipping. Who you are worshipping is crucially important. The identity of the God we worship depends on what He has revealed to us about Himself. That isn't a minor detail.

I don't agree that the patriarchs didn't know God, or the prophets. They knew and acknowledged God as He revealed Himself to them. I believe Scripture is a progressive revelation.

Now about the patriarchs and the prophets, we know God in a much clearer way now than they did then in and through Christ. The Scriptures are clear about that we have in Christ what the prophets and what angels longed to see. (1 Peter 1:12).

But to continually deny the Son of God, after Christ, is a rejection of God's eternal nature based on what He has revealed about Himself.

The logic of your position is that Jews who know God in exactly the same way that their forefathers did, who believe exactly what their forefathers believed, who worship in exactly the same way as their forefathers worshipped, and who are faithful to the covenant that their forefathers made with that God, are nevertheless worshipping a different and false God.

Indeed, you also imply that, in so far as Christians have different understandings of the way God has revealed himself in Christ, all but one of them - and quite possibly all of them - must also be worshipping different, false Gods.

I think your error is here:

The identity of the God we worship depends on what He has revealed to us about Himself. That isn't a minor detail.

In mainstream Christian (and Muslim, and Jewish) thinking, God is unchanging. His identity is what it is. It doesn't "depend" on anything (how can any aspect of God be dependent?) and it certainly doesn't depend on anything which varies over the course of human history, like revelation. God's identity is wholly unaffected by the progress of revelation.

What is affected by revelation is our understanding of God. But of course our understanding of God is also affected by our response to revelation (and by our limited capacity to understand the transcendant). It's clear at multiple points in the gospels that the disciples struggled with what what was revealed to them in Jesus Christ, and frequently failed to grasp it. But at no point is there any suggestion, either from Jesus himself or in anything any of the evangelists wrote, that this meant the disciples were worshipping a false god. And the same is true of the church as a beleving community; they spent centuries wrestling with the revelation of Jesus Christ, slowly coming to terms with it. Indeed, we're still at it.

None of this changes the identity or reality of God; how could it? And everyone who worships the God who reveals himself in this way is worshipping the same God, regardless of the historical point which revelation has reached or of the completeness or correctness of their understanding of that revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ScottCapper

Why isn’t there an Islamic thread?

Why isn’t there an Islamic thread?
    World religions is the subforum which hosts threads on Islam.

On the contrary, it's profoundly true, both theologically and historically.

I accept, of course, that Christians, Jews and Muslims have some different ideas about God. Indeed, that's true within each of those three religions as well as between them. But this doesn't mean that they worship different Gods. To claim that it does is to claim that the reality of the God we worship is determined by our conceptions about him - that God is, in the most literal sense, a creature of our imagination.

We don't need to imagine anything, God has truly revealed himself in scripture and most supremely in the person of Jesus Christ. Our conceptions and ideas about God can therefore be more or less in line with reality. Imperfect of course, but nonetheless in line with reality. What we believe about Jesus is crucial and determines whether we are worshipping God as he is and as he has revealed himself, or not.

We can know many things about God apart from Jesus (his power and eternity can be seen by anyone who looks to the heavens, after all), and most religions contain some grain of truth about God, but Christianity makes an exclusive claim: unless we know Jesus then we don't really know God.

Christians, Jews and Muslims all believe contradictory things about God that simply cannot be reconciled. This is quite different to the differences in doctrine between groups of Christians, which are relatively unimportant.

When anyone says "Christians, Muslim and Jews all worship the same God" we really need to ask, "What do you mean by that, and what are you implying?" Usually it's something along the lines of all paths lead to truth, or the pluralistic notion that we all believe more or less the same things.

. . . When anyone says "Christians, Muslim and Jews all worship the same God" we really need to ask, "What do you mean by that, and what are you implying?" Usually it's something along the lines of all paths lead to truth, or the pluralistic notion that we all believe more or less the same things.
    That's nonsense, Chris. People who say that Christians, Jews and Muslims worship the same God justify this by pointing to (a) the common concept of God that is shared by all three religions, both as a theoligical construct and as an actor in human history, and (b) the undoubted historical fact that Christians and Muslims inherited their concept of God from Judaism.

Let me ask you this. If one Christian's understanding of God includes this characteristic: "is not the same God as Jews and Muslims worship", and another Christian's concept of God includes this characteristic "is the same God as Jews and Muslims worship", given that they have directly contradictory undstandings of God, one of which must be objectively wrong, are those two Christians worshipping the same God?

That's nonsense, Chris. People who say that Christians, Jews and Muslims worship the same God justify this by pointing to (a) the common concept of God that is shared by all three religions, both as a theoligical construct and as an actor in human history, and (b) the undoubted historical fact that Christians and Muslims inherited their concept of God from Judaism.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not implying that is what you were saying. But there are profound differences between what Christians, Jews and Muslims believe about God, what he is like, and the implications of that for us as human beings and how we relate to him. The idea of God as trinity and as revealed in Jesus Christ are uniquely Christian concepts that are offensive to both Jews and Muslims. They can't simply be minimised, flattened out or thought of as irrelevant.

That means that the Christian theological construct of God and how we see him as acting in human history, to take your (a), is profoundly different. On (b), it's truer to see Christianity as a fulfilment of what was revealed in the Old Testament which expands and completes our understanding of many things, including what God is like. Again, this looks very different to how Jews or Muslims would answer these questions.

Perhaps a more helpful way of phrasing it is to say that Christians, Jews and Muslims believe some similar things about God; that he is eternal, all powerful etc., and that they draw on some of the same traditions and sources. That's fine is so far as it goes, but Christianity is clear and unambiguous that the only way to really know God, to be known by him, and to be in relationship with him, is through faith in Jesus Christ.
    Let me ask you this. If one Christian's understanding of God includes this characteristic: "is not the same God as Jews and Muslims worship", and another Christian's concept of God includes this characteristic "is the same God as Jews and Muslims worship", given that they have directly contradictory undstandings of God, one of which must be objectively wrong, are those two Christians worshipping the same God?

Christians can believe things about God that are incorrect, the same as anyone else. I'm quite sure I do. And I want to leave as much room as possible for grace, for differences of opinion, for dialogue, and for different expressions of faith. But what is decisive is faith in Jesus Christ.

This is one of the reason that creeds and confessions are so valuable. If someone can sincerely subscribe to (for example) the Apostles Creed then we are certainly worshipping the same God, whatever else we may disagree on. If they can't, then unfortunately we are not.

If someone can sincerely subscribe to (for example) the Apostles Creed then we are certainly worshipping the same God, whatever else we may disagree on. If they can't, then unfortunately we are not.

But by your own definition, are you saying there is more than one God?

Or just that your God must be the only one true god because you happen to believe so? Surely just because you believe something doesn't make it correct or true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

If someone can sincerely subscribe to (for example) the Apostles Creed then we are certainly worshipping the same God, whatever else we may disagree on. If they can't, then unfortunately we are not.

Or just that your God must be the only one true god because you happen to believe so? Surely just because you believe something doesn't make it correct or true.

If you read your word you will see it discussed that all religions worship the one God. They consider the same almighty and omnipresent God, they may have different perceptions or views on Jesus I.E Islam- Holy trinity

But to me as a Christian, I see the same Christ that Catholics see or muslims see. Our forms of worship may be different but end game is the same.

Of course not, Christians, Jews and Muslims all believe that there is one God. However, our ideas of who that God is / what he is like are so different that they cannot be reconciled.

I believe that God has uniquely revealed himself in Jesus Christ, and that Jesus is the only way for us to relate to God, truly know God, or be known by him. That is either true or it isn't, the fact that I believe in it is neither here nor there.
    If you read your word you will see it discussed that all religions worship the one God. They consider the same almighty and omnipresent God, they may have different perceptions or views on Jesus I.E Islam- Holy trinity

But to me as a Christian, I see the same Christ that Catholics see or muslims see. Our forms of worship may be different but end game is the same.

Not quite. All religions are looking for or striving after God, but it is only through faith in Jesus that we find him. It really does matter what we believe about Jesus, and we simply cannot get away from the specific and exclusive claims that the bible makes. The bible claims very clearly that faith in Jesus Christ as saviour and lord is the only way to God and that there is no other way to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

did Jesus not like pigs? not all the demons were destroyed one of them escaped and is living in my wife.

Advertisement