Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

232 days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Penhill no doubt being plotted again for Cheltenham... hopefully he makes it this year.

David Jennings just saying on the Upping the Ante podcast that he's most likely heading to Fairyhouse for the Hatton's Grace for the first port of call this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Slattsy wrote: »
    If Paisley Park gets there again in the same form as last year he'll be hard to beat.

I’m nibbling away at Emitom e/w at 20s the last few months, thing he’ll be a big player and Greatrex has indicated it’s the aim.

I think the horse is a star. Only Champ has finished ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

akelly02 wrote: »
    ouch roger, just ouch

i got me coat and burned it!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

I’m nibbling away at Emitom e/w at 20s the last few months, thing he’ll be a big player and Greatrex has indicated it’s the aim.

I think the horse is a star. Only Champ has finished ahead of it.

Like the horse, can’t have the trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Earendil wrote: »
    Like the horse, can’t have the trainer.

Agree totally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 WicklowBravee

Yeah the trainer is useless and he had the cheek to tell Gavin Sheehan he could be his second jockey.

Well met because Sheehan is useless as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Rog, is this going to be the " General Cheltenham rumours, waffles and bullshightfest" that occurs every year, or is there going to be another one opened for that sooner or later?

Just in case there isn't one, I am saying now that I really fancy Ex Patriot for one of the big handicaps. If anyone has Ellmarie Holden's mobile would you send it on to me in a PM? I would just like to see where she is thinking about entering him at the moment, or if she is waiting for Fairyhouse or Punchestown.

Thanks.

Ex patriot for me as well. Thought he would do something over hurdles 2 years ago , that was a very nice run the other day. Novice handicap maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

I see Champ is skipping the Feltham and might be going to the 2 and half novices chase at Newbury next week and then to the Dipper at Cheltenham. He’s not slow and if the JLT comes into play the 16/1 looks tempting rather than the RSA slog at a poor 5/1 currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

madmoose wrote: »
    I see Champ is skipping the Feltham and might be going to the 2 and half novices chase at Newbury next week and then to the Dipper at Cheltenham. He’s not slow and if the JLT comes into play the 16/1 looks tempting rather than the RSA slog at a poor 5/1 currently.

I like your angle. However I can't see any horse running in a JLT if they think he has a big chance in a RSA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

madmoose wrote: »

That Newbury race has always been a far better stepping stone to the RSA than the Feltham anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think if I had Gold Cup notions or anything like them for a good novice this year, I would go JLT rather than the RSA.

The RSA is a tough race, not a lot of horseies come back out the right side of it. I would rather have won a JLT and have me horse still in love with the game than win an RSA and watch him spit the dummy for 2 or 3 seasons.

I was looking at Ex Patriot again. It does look like all his best runs are right handed. That being the case there is every chance he won't go to Cheltenham and will be focused at a race at Fairyhouse or the Punchestown festival. He could be the type for a Galway Plate either?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

was at the cheltenham Nov meet there.

Starting to take the p*ss now with prices - 6 pounds a drink and 1 pound deposit per ****ty plastic glass.
    Same ****e bar staff who never used the register before and 25 minute wait to get served on saturday.
    Heres an idea - how about pre pouring the pint!!?
    Then you have to queue to get your pound back.

jokeshop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I was at Gold Cup day last March and as much as I love travelling over for meetings in the UK, I will not be doing any of the "biggies" any more. It was simply too busy and quite uncomfortably so at times. I saw very little of the racing without looking at the screens.

It will not stop me attending a summer jumps meeting in Stratford or anything, but my festival days are over. You see it all in your local on a warm seat and save yourself a lot of money on travel.

For the same money as a 2 day trip to the festival you could easily spend 4 or 5 days travelling around evening meetings in the summer. An evening at Newmarket in mid June is highly advised for any racing enthusiast, the smell of the summer grass, drinking scoops of dry cider, checking out fit birds all sexed up in their summer threads.... not to be scoffed at.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Had Ex Patriot on my mind for a handicap at the Cheltenham Festival but didn't travel over. Definitely think there's a big one in him

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I was at Gold Cup day last March and as much as I love travelling over for meetings in the UK, I will not be doing any of the "biggies" any more. It was simply too busy and quite uncomfortably so at times. I saw very little of the racing without looking at the screens.

It will not stop me attending a summer jumps meeting in Stratford or anything, but my festival days are over. You see it all in your local on a warm seat and save yourself a lot of money on travel.

For the same money as a 2 day trip to the festival you could easily spend 4 or 5 days travelling around evening meetings in the summer. An evening at Newmarket in mid June is highly advised for any racing enthusiast, the smell of the summer grass, drinking scoops of dry cider, checking out fit birds all sexed up in their summer threads.... not to be scoffed at.

Hard to argue with
    420 pounds on race week just to get in the door for club is outrageous.
    its not too bad if you get value for money but when you have to push and shove wait like a mug to get an overpriced Guinness, the barstool or Irish festivals look a lot more attractive. I thought the Dublin racing festival did a great job when i went a year ago.

Never been to the festival myself
    I love watching it, in the boozer, with the family and friends, bookies next door
    Do all my bets in shop, I don't do phone or online
    You get to see it, hear it, and sure the lads who bet once a year are funny to be around, listening to them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

carq wrote: »
    was at the cheltenham Nov meet there.

Starting to take the p*ss now with prices - 6 pounds a drink and 1 pound deposit per ****ty plastic glass.
    Same ****e bar staff who never used the register before and 25 minute wait to get served on saturday.
    Heres an idea - how about pre pouring the pint!!?
    Then you have to queue to get your pound back.

jokeshop

Pre pour Guinness? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

It might be ok for you culchies, who wouldnt know a decent Guinness, but to us Dubs.. NEVER

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Never been to the festival myself
    I love watching it, in the boozer, with the family and friends, bookies next door
    Do all my bets in shop, I don't do phone or online
    You get to see it, hear it, and sure the lads who bet once a year are funny to be around, listening to them!!

id say you are funny to be around yourself roger !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

carq wrote: »
    Hard to argue with
    420 pounds on race week just to get in the door for club is outrageous.
    its not too bad if you get value for money but when you have to push and shove wait like a mug to get an overpriced Guinness, the barstool or Irish festivals look a lot more attractive. I thought the Dublin racing festival did a great job when i went a year ago.

Its all relative for i think its the best 400 ill spend all year. I also find that in 10 years of going ive only queued for a pint more than 5 mins on about 5 occasions. There are multiple places to go, steer clear of any bar in or around the main stand. That said ill have verry little drink breaks during racing anyway so perharps it a moot point .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

Have been over before for the festival,very crowded
    usually watch the races at home in the house with friends

the ideal venue to watch the festival in Ireland would be in a hotel function room with just racingTV on, tables & chairs for writing out bets & watching for the day, (like sitting in the middle of the Centaur:D ) that serves carvery,close to a few different bookies
    watching in the pub is grand but too many people milling around
    have watched a bit of racing in the rathcoole inn,not the worst venue in fairness
    whats everyones viewing routine?

id say you are funny to be around yourself roger !

You would hear me before you would see me on raceday AK ! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

If you're a racing fan, absolutely nothing beats being there!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

Slattsy wrote:
    It might be ok for you culchies, who wouldnt know a decent Guinness, but to us Dubs.. NEVER

They do it at croker the whole time!!!

famagusta wrote: »
    They do it at croker the whole time!!!

Aintree know how to do it.
    Pay for your drinks - collect from seperate area or bar,all drinks pre poured, each person able to carry 8 pints .

You would hear me before you would see me on raceday AK ! ;)

i can hear ya now shouting for faugheen already !

i can hear ya now shouting for faugheen already !

Faugheen, you should have heard me the day Vautour won the Ryanair
    Screamed the place down in excitement, up on a bar stool pretending it was a horse.....then 2 seconds later told the whole pub and everyone in the Dublin 12 area that "IT'S A F*CKING DISGRACE HE ISN'T IN THE GOLD CUP" !!!

Most of them hadn't a notion what i was on about....

Personally, if I wasn't me, I would not like me!!;)

Faugheen, you should have heard me the day Vautour won the Ryanair
    Screamed the place down in excitement, up on a bar stool pretending it was a horse.....then 2 seconds later told the whole pub and everyone in the Dublin 12 area that "IT'S A F*CKING DISGRACE HE ISN'T IN THE GOLD CUP" !!!

Most of them hadn't a notion what i was on about....

Personally, if I wasn't me, I would not like me!!;)

We like you roger, never change!

Nothing beats being there. Watching the festival in a bookies would be my idea of hell.

• Advertisement

lemush wrote: »
    Nothing beats being there. Watching the festival in a bookies would be my idea of hell.

I dont think anyone is Advocating watching it in a bookies.
    Local with a good seat, guinness on tap and a nice fire on the other hand is a different proposition. Bit of pop grub on top .

Advertisement