Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British version of Trump becomes PM

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Berserker wrote: »
    It's not. It's a tasty little sound bite. FF and FG do not need to sideline SF, as of now. SF are doing that all by themselves.

I wouldn’t agree. Mileage may vary on any comment for anyone but added to just yesterday Leo saying ‘the famine that was forced on us’ gives you more than a few indications the lights and position have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

The only thing Boris will achieve will be annoying the Eurocrats even more than he has been doing since his journalism days. By the 31st of October he will have been proven to be an incompetent liar having promised to deliver brexit by that date, removal of the backstop and a total renegotiation of the withdrawal agreement. In reality he will have changed nothing and will only oversee a no deal brexit and the establishment of a hard border. There is simply no way around the re-imposition of a hard border. Boris can throw his considerable weight around as much as he likes, it will end up nowhere.

The great irony is that in Trump's and Boris's case, they have both acceded to power primarily because of weak opposing leadership, a situation which increases the likelihood of Trump sadly being reelected. In Britain's case Boris's premiership is the darkest of hours. Britain was not so long ago helmed by Winston Churchill, to think they now have a buffoon in Downing Street is just tragic primarily because it will sow the seeds of economic and further politicial instability in the UK and here. Germany is entering recession as we speak, if you combine that with a drop in economic growth in ireland as as result of a recession in the UK then you are absolutely looking at uncertain times ahead for Ireland. We are due a recession ourselves, this time next year things could be markedly different here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

blinding wrote: »
    Why would a Country the size of the Uk be concerned about the Irish Border . Its very very very small beer in British terms . It is of no importance to them .

I love it when people say this. It's a type of post that embodies a the ignorance around Brexit. A inflated sense of the UK's place in the world and an ignorance about history, politics and economics.

The Irish question has brought down governments in the UK for over a century. The "very very very small" issue you describe has already prevented the UK from leaving with a deal. The Irish issue, yet again is a major government issue deciding the UK's future. The house speaker from Congress, Nancy Pelosi even threatened the UK with it. So this small beer has resulted in changing of the British PM, the delay in the UK exiting with a deal and the US congress issuing a warning to the UK.

What exactly do you consider a big deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Boggles wrote: »
    Brexit it is a complete disaster and it hasn't even happened yet.

The only reason the economic effects of it hasn't happened is because we are in the middle (late middle) of a global up turn. All though is seems to be leveling off in the UK.

If Brexit does happen and coincides with a global down turn, then EU won't have to warn off any populist muppets from threatening to pull the trigger.

If Brexit happens and it coincides with a global downturn, everyone will be facing into tough times. It'd be a really good time for a global downturn from a pro-Brexit perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I love it when people say this. It's a type of post that embodies a the ignorance around Brexit. A inflated sense of the UK's place in the world and an ignorance about history, politics and economics.

The Irish question has brought down governments in the UK for over a century. The "very very very small" issue you describe has already prevented the UK from leaving with a deal. The Irish issue, yet again is a major government issue deciding the UK's future. The house speaker from Congress, Nancy Pelosi even threatened the UK with it. So this small beer has resulted in changing of the British PM, the delay in the UK exiting with a deal and the US congress issuing a warning to the UK.

What exactly do you consider a big deal?

Excellent post.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    If Brexit happens and it coincides with a global downturn, everyone will be facing into tough times. It'd be a really good time for a global downturn from a pro-Brexit perspective.

Depends where you're typing from. If the UK leaves without a deal then it will be on WTO terms and the cost of importing and exporting will sky rocket. The UK, it should be remembered, is primarily a services economy now. To trade financial services in Europe it will need a deal to obtain passporting rights. To obtain this deal it will need to agree to the backstop. Also to get a trade deal through the American house of Congress it will need to respect the Good Friday agreement. In other words the current UK government need to face reality regarding the backstop or it will destroy it's place on the world stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The reason the Brits have never made a decent go of running Ireland or anything in Ireland is that it was not important enough to them . They make a few decisions / changes etc but they always take their eye of the ball . Ireland is of no importance to Britain . It never was and it will never be .

The wealth in comparison to the big Island is minuscule . Ireland is just an nuisance to Britain .

Johnson may well be the man that gets rid of the nuisances once and for all . There is no need for a border in Ireland now and the best way to ensure that is to give the Six Counties to Leo .

Leo and the Eu can look after the Six Counties . Its not as if Leo is doing anything else .

reg114 wrote: »
    The only thing Boris will achieve will be annoying the Eurocrats even more than he has been doing since his journalism days. By the 31st of October he will have been proven to be an incompetent liar having promised to deliver brexit by that date, removal of the backstop and a total renegotiation of the withdrawal agreement. In reality he will have changed nothing and will only oversee a no deal brexit and the establishment of a hard border. There is simply no way around the re-imposition of a hard border. Boris can throw his considerable weight around as much as he likes, it will end up nowhere.

The great irony is that in Trump's and Boris's case, they have both acceded to power primarily because of weak opposing leadership, a situation which increases the likelihood of Trump sadly being reelected. In Britain's case Boris's premiership is the darkest of hours. Britain was not so long ago helmed by Winston Churchill, to think they now have a buffoon in Downing Street is just tragic primarily because it will sow the seeds of economic and further politicial instability in the UK and here. Germany is entering recession as we speak, if you combine that with a drop in economic growth in ireland as as result of a recession in the UK then you are absolutely looking at uncertain times ahead for Ireland. We are due a recession ourselves, this time next year things could be markedly different here.

Great post but I have to take issue with the bits in bold. He has already been proven to embody those dual qualities of incompetency and dishonesty. He was fired from a previous journalism job at the Times for making up quotes. As foreign secretary he endangered the life of a British mother by claiming "she was teaching people journalism". When he messes up Britain it will be hard to resist saying "I told you so". The evidence that he was unfit to be PM is littered throughout his career.

The reason the Brits have never made a decent go of running Ireland or anything in Ireland is that it was not important enough to them . They make a few decisions / changes etc but they always take their eye of the ball . Ireland is of no importance to Britain . It never was and it will never be ..

But that's frankly stupid. They may not consider it important but I'm afraid it is. Right now the Irish border is pivotal in deciding their economic future I'm afraid.

Blinding is utterly blind to a lot of the facts and the obvious it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,270 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The reason the Brits have never made a decent go of running Ireland or anything in Ireland is that it was not important enough to them . They make a few decisions / changes etc but they always take their eye of the ball . Ireland is of no importance to Britain . It never was and it will never be .

The wealth in comparison to the big Island is minuscule . Ireland is just an nuisance to Britain .

Ah sure look, don't we all know well about the hundreds of years the Irish people spent begging the Brits not to leave, and then coaxing them back whenever they made moves to do so.

P.S. Boris is not an orange-tinged stable genius of a statesman like Donald J. Trump

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

So if a no deal comes about i'm assuming the pound will be on a par with the Euro or even weaker which obviously has an impact on us.

But that's frankly stupid. They may not consider it important but I'm afraid it is. Right now the Irish border is pivotal in deciding their economic future I'm afraid.
    Boris and his team have worked out that it would be beyond stupid to let such an unimportant place as Ireland to stand in the Way of Brexit and their Democracy and Freedom . In any case their is a simple solution to the Six Counties = give it to Leo . No Border = No Problem .

Britain has more important stuff to be getting on with than Ireland . They would be very foolish to waste their time on Ireland . Its of no importance to them .

Ah sure look, don't we all know well about the hundreds of years the Irish people spent begging the Brits not to leave, and then coaxing them back whenever they made moves to do so.

P.S. Boris is not an orange-tinged stable genius of a statesman like Donald J. Trump
    Something tells me Leo does not want the Six Counties . He may be about to get them whether he likes it or not .

So if a no deal comes about i'm assuming the pound will be on a par with the Euro or even weaker which obviously has an impact on us.
    Very good for British exports .

Boris and his team have worked out that it would be beyond stupid to let such an unimportant place as Ireland to stand in the Way of Brexit and their Democracy and Freedom . In any case their is a simple solution to the Six Counties = give it to Leo . No Border = No Problem .

Britain has more important stuff to be getting on with than Ireland . They would be very foolish to waste their time on Ireland . Its of no importance to them .

So you think Boris will hand over Northern Ireland to Ireland? I agree that polling suggests Brexit voters would hand over Northern Ireland to accomplish Brexit but I'm afraid it's not within BJ's power to do that without a border poll.

Something tells me Leo does not want the Six Counties . He may be about to get them whether he likes it or not .

Leo recently said a United ireland is an aspiration of his.

But Carry on with the waffle

It's a bit mad then that when faced with a Backstop option which effectively kept only NI within the EU Customs Union, that they risked a no-deal and economic destruction rather than accept it. It was at their insistence that it be applied UK-wide, not the EU side's insistence.

Maybe they did that just to trick all stupid followers of logic and reason?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

He absolutely does not want them. We can't afford them anyway

I'm sure i read somewhere that NI on it's own is a loss maker. Can't recall where i heard or read that

With a no deal the costs of transport increase dramatically. So no it's not very good for exports.

From Reuters:
    For its part, Britain plans to eliminate import tariffs for many products for up to a year in the event of a no-deal Brexit. That would help reduce the inflationary hit to consumers but would expose many British companies to tougher competition.

Manufacturers are worried about border delays which would hurt their just-in-time production schedules.

Britain’s auto industry group has said delays could cost 50,000 pounds every minute in a worst-case scenario.

• Advertisement

Well, considering they might not be able to sell them to their nearest neighbours, it might be of fuck all use to them.

Listen B you're posting with complete confidence in Brexit so could you tell me which exports Britain makes the most money from and how they'll be affected by WTO terms?

So you think Boris will hand over Northern Ireland to Ireland? I agree that polling suggests Brexit voters would hand over Northern Ireland to accomplish Brexit but I'm afraid it's not within BJ's power to do that without a border poll.
    Sure a border poll would be a doddle . You only need 50% + 1 and away ya go out of the Uk . Amazing how little demand there is for it . You’d think Leo would be all over a border poll like a rash but No:eek::D:eek:

He absolutely does not want them. We can't afford them anyway

I'm sure i read somewhere that NI on it's own is a loss maker. Can't recall where i heard or read that
    Didn’t he say the other day that it was his Aspiration;) Ya don’y think he is telling porkies do ya:eek:

Sure a border poll would be a doddle . You only need 50% + 1 and away ya go out of the Uk . Amazing how little demand there is for it . You’d think Leo would be all over a border poll like a rash but No:eek::D:eek:

You're thinking in terms of BJ's politics blinding and projecting them to more adult politicians. Blind ideology can't get a country through Brexit. Pragmatism is needed not smiley faces and "doddle" comments. No offence meant!

Well, considering they might not be able to sell them to their nearest neighbours, it might be of fuck all use to them.
    When the price is right , there is always a market .

Listen B you're posting with complete confidence in Brexit so could you tell me which exports Britain makes the most money from and how they'll be affected by WTO terms?
    Myself and Boris are very confident .

If ya want to do the research , I’ll gladly check your home work .

Britain will be fine . Great Country , Great People . The Eu is certainly not able to get them to grovel and scrape like the Irish .:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭trashcan

A workable majority after a General Election and Boris will be able to take his Country to Freedom and out of the Eu .

It would be Churchill-ian . Democracy and Freedom . Lovely Jubbly .

And do you genuinely think they’ll be in a better place as a result ? Or does that not matter, because, ......democracy ? Would a second vote not count as democracy, you know, now that they can see (or should be able to) what they are letting themselves in for. ? Or are you one of those who thinks that’s all “project fear” ?

Myself and Boris are very confident .

Fanstastic but you're not confident enough to back up your own claims about exports.
    If ya want to do the research , I’ll gladly check your home work .

I presented the research. Britain's a service economy. You said something contrary to that but don't understand it well enough to explain.
    Britain will be fine .

It's not fine right now.
    Great Country , Great People . The Eu is certainly not able to get them to grovel and scrape like the Irish .:eek:

They've already begged for several extensions. They should have left yonks ago. If a no-deal was so brilliant then why beg to avoid it? Should I put in more smiley faces to match the Brexiter debate? :rolleyes::o:):D;):p:confused::P:eek::(

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    And do you genuinely think they’ll be in a better place as a result ? Or does that not matter, because, ......democracy ? Would a second vote not count as democracy, you know, now that they can see (or should be able to) what they are letting themselves in for. ? Or are you one of those who thinks that’s all “project fear” ?
    Would the likes of you accept their democracy if they voted Brexit again ?

The MPs voted to have the referendum .

Brexit won the referendum .

In the following General Election 83% Voted for parties that said they would respect the Referendum Result . How much democracy does it take to Brexit .

Advertisement