Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The eBike thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

BBS HD conversion... the best motor there is, whisper quiet and can climb telegraph poles
    Converted a Whyte Malvern for this one,
    BBS HD + 48v 17.5 ah Battery,... probably coming up on £1k for this build.

P1000781-lzn.jpg

P1000777-lzn.jpg

P1000748-lzn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Joe1919 wrote: »
    I note Yose Power is doing what looks like similar kit ( but 68mm only) at total 495 euro (474+20) including delivery from europe (no customs). Is it the same after that?
    https://www.yosepower.com/en/product/Original-BAFANG-48V1000W-Mid-drive-Motor-Conversion-Kit-BBS01-DIY-E-bike-LCD-Display-Black-BBS-HD-172.html

Good price, but the choice is quite rigid, crappy display included, chain ring too big. And of course no 100mm support for fat bikes.

Mid drives and geared hubs have inbuilt clutches that act like freewheels, so you cant have regen. You can on direct drive hubs.

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for explaining!

loughside wrote: »
    [IMG]http://<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/j31sncA"><a href="//imgur.com/a/j31sncA"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/IMG]I started this ebike thing with a cheapish 250w hub chinese folder.
    It was handy to throw in the boot of the car and take to the local parks but that was about it, drawbacks were it wasn`t man enough for the hills around here (Co. Down country lanes), and also something which hasn`t been mentioned here is that it was noisy, like those ancient electric milk floats, everybody turned their heads to see what was coming. i done the shunt mod with solder which i have to say helped a lot with performance but drawback was more sound!

My two main objectives with ebikes were torque and silence as far as possible.

Enter the BBS 02 and HD builds.
    My first venture was based on one of the old Halfords frames i found on Gumtree, bought for £25 locally. A BBS 02 + Battery conversion was added from this reputable chinese seller (ive dealt with them on a few occasions now) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32484856225.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.2.39b619d8VXk8Zg All new parts fitted with the addition of an Alfine 8 hub/wheel from Taylor Wheels in Germany (£220 iirc), these are really nice on an ebike.

Pics of converted bike + Alfine 8 Hub.

I`ll get to the BBS HD conversion later.... (the rolls-royce!!)

Nice clean setup ! :D

unkel wrote: »
    In my setups, I should be able to reach the XT60 connector between battery and controller. Jerk it out and kill the powah! :D And of course with a geared hub motor or two I don't think there would be much of a problem too. Any idea what torque geared hub motors and direct drive motors have at certain wattages?

I forgot to put that link up to the Amazon fat bike:

Linky

The yellow one is GBP260 and the other colours are GBP450 for some reason

Big wheels alright, good for country roads lol.

There's no way you can pull the connector is sh1t happens and you need to hold on with 2 hands.....

• Advertisement

There's no way you can pull the connector is sh1t happens and you need to hold on with 2 hands.....

I think I will manage with a hub motor :)

So what are your thoughts on the cheap Amazon fat bike?

I don't know, doesn't look like it would be comfortable to ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Photos show disc brakes, description says v-brakes.

Shimano Tourney (TZ) is probably OK budget groupset, but "Shimano TZ Saiguan" is not a thing, Saiguan is a Chinesium brand completely unrelated to Shimano.

Avoid.

I asked the seller for the dimensions, and they promptly replied. Package is a touch smaller and a good bit lighter than I thought at:

◾ Package dimensions: 150 x 75 x 27 cm

◾ Approximate package weight: 25 kilos

This means a Parcel Motel charge of €42, so plus GBP260 for a total of €342 shipped

I have seen offers on cheap second hand fat bikes on adverts.ie that were higher than they can be got for new (if you buy right). If I electrify it and want to sell it on, I expect to get at least my total costs back, given there is new demand for eBikes from people unable / unwilling to convert themself?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

While I have your attention (and you're bored on the night shift), I had the following config in my shopping basket. Any comments? I feel the brakes with connector to the controller are a nonsense, surely when you want to brake, you do not have throttle applied? So I didn't pick them. Comment on the display? It is programmable (you can program the controller with it)

BBSHD 1000W (max 1500W) for 100mm bracket USD559
    DCP-14 display USD85
    throttle USD5
    current rating 30A
    bling 36T chainweel (smallest there is? / best for climbing?) USD70
    gear sensor USD6

Total USD665
    Shipping USD87

Total USD752 (EUR677) and start crying when you are caught for customs / VAT :D

Just a couple of things..... FedEx brought my BBS kit, Customs cost me £32 gbp a couple of weeks later.

I have that same DCP-14 display, it`s a nice item has a useful night setting but it can`t programmme the contrioller other than set the number of assist levels. If i had to do it all over again i`d forget about this display and fit the Eggrider item, fully programmable, multi-mode etc --> https://eggbikes.com/eggrider
    The 36T chainwheel may be overkill imo, only if you`re going up mountains, maybe the more popular 42T would suffice, i still have the standard 46T item with a seven speed cassette. In fact i find myself changing gears two at a time due to the torque of the BBS.
    Also get yourself an ebike specific chain, KMC or Wipperman

• Advertisement

Talk about customs...

On my hub motor from Aliexpress that I paid €77 for incl. shipping got notified today that I owed DHL €32.50 on that. €18 VAT and €14.50 for DHL's handling charge :rolleyes:

That motor just became 40% more expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Talk about customs...

On my hub motor from Aliexpress that I paid €77 for incl. shipping got notified today that I owed DHL €32.50 on that. €18 VAT and €14.50 for DHL's handling charge :rolleyes:

That motor just became 40% more expensive...
    I actually wish there was some way of paying VAT ahead of time. Don't mind paying it. It's the handling charge that irks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Hi. pswower has good value in middrives (68-73mm bb) at the moment e.g 750w48v tdz with throttle& brakes 300 dollars. Price includes free delivery (DHL) and shipment from euro (no tax) 250/350w (36V) are 290 dollars
    http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2018-4c-h1fm

They also sell the Bafang BBS02B kit for USD395 included upgraded monitor. That's EUR355. Very good price!

No 100mm BB option, so no good for fat bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Hi. pswower has good value in middrives (68-73mm bb) at the moment e.g 750w48v tdz with throttle& brakes 300 dollars. Price includes free delivery (DHL) and shipment from euro (no tax) 250/350w (36V) are 290 dollars
    http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2018-4c-h1fm

How much would the battery cost for this set up ?

How long is a piece of string? Some people build batteries from cells they took out of laptop batteries they got for free. Some people need a lot of range / energy in their battery because of a long commute etc. Some people buy on line, some people go to a shop

On a normal 250W/350W 36V eBike you buy in the shop it would come with a 8Ah battery. I bought two brand new 36V overstock hover board batteries and a €0.99 cable to to connect the two of them in parallel, so made myself such a 8Ah battery for about €90 including shipping of the parts. Go to Halfords and they will probably charge you €300 for one, LOL

If you want a long commute and / or overclocking that motor and / or having it up steep mountain trails for a long time, you need a heavier duty battery than that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

krissovo wrote: »
    $100 for this fat boy right now, I ordered one for the craic so hopefully it will fit in my boot.

https://engwebrand.com/?fbclid=IwAR1_e9qi-yZBEXEAmmR-Aeew-Vej4Y4-bFGHfh8yIGS-tWDkpxkR0C6U7kA

Looks like anyone who paid using Paypal is in the .... as the CC folk say the payment was to Paypal.
    [ May be worth a separate thread].

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

SCOL wrote: »
    How much would the battery cost for this set up ?

Battery voltage and (to some extent) capacity must match the motor. Some quick examples e.g.

a 36v 13ah for the 250/350 w costs total 161 dollars
    http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2017-bv-s42x

For the 750 w 48v, a samsung 14.5 ah would cost 264 dollars.
    http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2018-52-c8sc

Those prices again are very reasonable for a battery with box and charger, including shipping and EU taxes. Have you had dealings with them before yourself? The cells will be poor though and probably not up to their rating. The site itself says "China brand battery cells". Still cheap for what it is.
    Battery voltage and (to some extent) capacity must match the motor.

Battery voltage must match the controller. Not so much the motor. The motor can take any voltage within reason that you throw at it. But careful with those amps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone any experience with GreenAer? Filled out a trial form on their website last week for Friday gone, no email or call from them.

I'm off this week and not back in work til next Wednesday, would love to have a spin on an ebike to get a feel for it and see how much speed I lose on long flat sections and how much is gained in the long, gentle inclines. Also curious to see if I gain anything through Castleknock/Blanch and all the junctions.

Might give them a call tomorrow.

• Advertisement

So I got my front hub motor today from Aliexpress. The motor was very well packed and looks well made. It is 48V and 250W rated, but we'll see about that :D

494006.jpg

Brushless Gear Motor For Ebike
    Rated Voltage :36V/48V
    Rated Power : 250W/350W
    RPM:270
    Rated Speed :26"(28km/h)--27.5" (29km/h)--28"(30km/h)--700c(30km/h)
    Rated Efficiency: ≥ 80%
    Reduction Ratio: 1:4.4
    Weight: 2.95 kg
    Fork Size: Front Wheel 100 mm / Rear Wheel 135~142 mm
    Drive and Freewheel
    Spokes Specification: 12G or 13G
    Hall Sensor
    Integrated Speed Sensor
    Waterproof Grade: IP54
    Connector : Julet 1.2 square 9 pin waterproof plug. We also provide you a convert cable.(1600mm)

s-l300.jpg

Is that connector some sort of standard? I haven't got my controller yet, so I don't know. This plug must have 3 phase wiring and hall sensor wires and speed sensor wires?

Anyone got a (colour coded) wiring diagram for one?

Thankfully the motor came with an extension cable as well, which I could butcher up to make a connection to the controller, but I'd rather connect straight to the controller or get a pre-made cable

So I got my front hub motor today from Aliexpress. The motor was very well packed and looks well made. It is 48V and 250W rated, but we'll see about that :D

494006.jpg

Brushless Gear Motor For Ebike
    Rated Voltage :36V/48V
    Rated Power : 250W/350W
    RPM:270
    Rated Speed :26"(28km/h)--27.5" (29km/h)--28"(30km/h)--700c(30km/h)
    Rated Efficiency: ≥ 80%
    Reduction Ratio: 1:4.4
    Weight: 2.95 kg
    Fork Size: Front Wheel 100 mm / Rear Wheel 135~142 mm
    Drive and Freewheel
    Spokes Specification: 12G or 13G
    Hall Sensor
    Integrated Speed Sensor
    Waterproof Grade: IP54
    Connector : Julet 1.2 square 9 pin waterproof plug. We also provide you a convert cable.(1600mm)

s-l300.jpg

Is that connector some sort of standard? I haven't got my controller yet, so I don't know. This plug must have 3 phase wiring and hall sensor wires and speed sensor wires?

Anyone got a (colour coded) wiring diagram for one?

Thankfully the motor came with an extension cable as well, which I could butcher up to make a connection to the controller, but I'd rather connect straight to the controller or get a pre-made cable

2.95 Kg, definitely not a high power motor , I probably wouldn't put more than about 500-700 watts max through it and at that you'd want to watch it on hills.

Those prices again are very reasonable for a battery with box and charger, including shipping and EU taxes. Have you had dealings with them before yourself? The cells will be poor though and probably not up to their rating. The site itself says "China brand battery cells". Still cheap for what it is.

Battery voltage must match the controller. Not so much the motor. The motor can take any voltage within reason that you throw at it. But careful with those amps :)

I have never dealt with pswpower. The last kits I bought was from Yose Power, so i can only personally recommend them.
    The 48 volt pswpower battery I mentioned has 65 (13 X 5) Samsung 2.9 ah cells.(which incidentally I have bought (with solder tabs) for E 2.22 each from Nkon,
    https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/samsung-inr18650-29e-2900mah-e6-8-25a-met-u-tag.html

I can personally recommend Nkon (3 orders so far).

I had problems with battery weight in the past. I like plenty of battery power (900w plus) but using low capacity cells, the weight quickly added up and made the bike very heavy and unstable, especially as batteries were carried on rear rack. For this reason I bought and would recommend using the newer 3.5ah cells if putting together your own battery.(or some other lightweight solution.)
    https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/samsung-inr18650-35e.html
    https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/lg-inr18650-mj1.html

Samsung 2.9 ah cells.(which incidentally I have bought (with solder tabs) for E 2.22 each from Nkon,
    https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/samsung-inr18650-29e-2900mah-e6-8-25a-met-u-tag.html

Did you check their capacity? They were obviously used but if you still got about 2900mAh per cell then it's a pretty good deal for €200 + €11 shipping for 100 cells is seriously good (that's about 1kWh)

How did you make up the batteries, welding or kit?

BTW I'm quite suprised that the vast majority of the Samsung 2200mAh out of the 3 year old heavily used eBike I bought are still fine with average about 1750mAh left. Just a few rotten apples. BMS obviously didn't do its job or in general a BMS can't be expected to be the ultimate keeper of good battery health.
    For this reason I bought and would recommend using the newer 3.5ah cells if putting together your own battery.(or some other lightweight solution.)
    https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/samsung-inr18650-35e.html

I guess it is always a trade off, but those will give you 3450/2900 = 19% more capacity, but they are €2.95/€2 = 48% more expensive. I'd go for the former :D

Did you check their capacity? They were obviously used but if you still got about 2900mAh per cell then it's a pretty good deal for €200 + €11 shipping for 100 cells is seriously good (that's about 1kWh)

How did you make up the batteries, welding or kit?

BTW I'm quite suprised that the vast majority of the Samsung 2200mAh out of the 3 year old heavily used eBike I bought are still fine with average about 1750mAh left. Just a few rotten apples. BMS obviously didn't do its job or in general a BMS can't be expected to be the ultimate keeper of good battery health.

I guess it is always a trade off, but those will give you 3450/2900 = 19% more capacity, but they are €2.95/€2 = 48% more expensive. I'd go for the former :D

The Samsung cells are brand new, but they were on the shelf for a while. I tested voltage on each cell and all were the same.I always do a load test on a new assembled battery by doing a full charge and discharge by connecting a 'load' (a used triton 10kw shower element 5ohms) and recording current and time, and check balance by measuring the cell group voltages during test. The batteries are all from the same batch and are perfectly balanced. I always look up the manufacture date with the lookup tool e.g.
    https://batterybro.com/pages/18650-date-code-lookup-tool
    I also replaced the heavy steel battery rack with a lighter alloy rack. In all, I managed to reduce the weight at the rear of bike by about 3kg. The extra cost of using lighter cells plus the secondhand replacement rack came to about 120 euro, which works out at about 40 euro per kilo weight reduction.
    This actually is good value in terms of reducing the bike weight and makes the bike much more usable. I would have no problem paying at the same rate to reduce the bike weight even further.e.g I would pay 400 euro no problem if ebike bike weight could magically be reduced from say 24kg to 14 Kg.

Anyhow, I ordered the cell with nickle solder 'Z tags' at 55 cent/cell extra and also the plastic holders at around 25 cent/cell.

Anyhow, I ordered the cell with nickle solder 'Z tags' at 55 cent/cell extra and also the plastic holders at around 25 cent/cell.

Pre-soldered like this?

3087-fujitsu-flige.jpg

And then just solder the nickel plates together (far away from soldering / heating the cell itself)?

Sounds like a good idea. Any pics of the battery build?

Pre-soldered like this?

3087-fujitsu-flige.jpg

Yes, they are 'Z' tags. The strips come out the same side on 'c' tags.
    It has its limitations e.g If you use an old battery casing to 'recell' a battery, the solder tags are probably too bulky to fit.

Tell me about bulky!

The vruzend kit works well but there is a lot of air between the cells and the kit itself has weight too. With my 1750mAh batteries that's gonna be a big heavy pack with less than 0.5kWh capacity :D

Handy it is flexible though. I've a broken 24V foldable eBike coming in tomorrow, probably dead battery, so can easily configure the kit to give me a 24V or 36V pack to test it with

Finished testing all my free 18650 cells for capacity, internal resistance and self-discharge. Only 39 made the grade out of 76 :(

I properly put a heat shrink wrap on the naked cells (including the cells that had a damaged wrap, which I removed)

And on a more positive note, with the good cells, I built a 24V pack (7S3P) with the vruzend kit using the repackr site for optimal parallel sets. My soldering skills are pretty much non-existent but I eventually managed to solder a connection to the folding eBike battery pack holder (which was broken) and I fabricated a cable to connect the pack holder to my vruzend battery

Hooked it all up and the folding eBike is working great :D

Far quicker than you'd expect a 24V eBike to be. I guess the small wheels allow for quick acceleration.

On other news, I'm finding it very difficult to source a new / used budget fat bike. I might have an update on this over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Got a 6Ah 29.4V (7s3p) battery for the folding eBike with BMS and chargeport on aliexpress for €25 with free shipping. And that's below the threshold for VAT too, so that's my final cost. Christ these things are cheap.

Seriously thinking of getting 4 more of these to use myself for a €100 58.8V 12Ah pack, 0.7kWh. I'll keep the vruzend kits (or maybe sell one). It's handy I can make myself any voltage battery with it within minutes, but it is impossible to beat those kind of prices. If you put 1kW through that, it's only a leisurely 1.4C. Will do me just fine. Sorry Mad_Lad, those lipo batteries are not for me yet!

Just bought a secondhand hub wheel plus a brand new controller on adverts.ie for €35. This stuff is addictive :p

Picking up a fat bike in the morning :cool:

Advertisement