Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

pablo128 wrote: »
    Why do you need the general public to suggest solutions? Isn't that what the 'consultants' are supposed to do? That's what they are paid handsomely for.

Seems they were not consultants.

According to Michael McNicholas C.E.O.of Ervira before an Oireachtas committee less that two years ago they were not just your average everyday consultants, but "international experts".
    I don`t know about you, but I got great comfort from knowing we threw 73 Million euro to "international experts" for sweet f**k all rather than wasting it on just common as muck consultants

charlie14 wrote: »
    Seems they were not consultants.

According to Michael McNicholas C.E.O.of Ervira before an Oireachtas committee less that two years ago they were not just your average everyday consultants, but "international experts".
    I don`t know about you, but I got great comfort from knowing we threw 73 Million euro to "international experts" for sweet f**k all rather than wasting it on just common as muck consultants

Was that a setting up cost or a recurring one?

Have you ever set up a business? The biggest initial costs are planning and promotion.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Do from what it is obvious from what the vast majority of people want from that link in Johnny Dogs link.

Fund water services from how we have been taxed to fund it, through general taxation, but do not insult our intelligence on their being a problem with funding. During the worst economic crisis in our history 1 Billion has been wasted for nothing, while we have a health system that gets progressively worse while taxpayers money is thrown at it like confetti at a wedding.

Do you believe that the water infrastructure, treatment and provision will ever be brought up to an acceptable state through funding from general taxation?

pablo128 wrote: »
    Why do you need the general public to suggest solutions? Isn't that what the 'consultants' are supposed to do? That's what they are paid handsomely for.

They shouldn't have bothered with the consultants. They should have just asked all the "experts " who said 'no way we won't pay' even before Irish water was set up.

Was that a setting up cost or a recurring one?

Have you ever set up a business? The biggest initial costs are planning and promotion.

Actually I have, and while it is irrelevant or any of your business, a quite successful one that I sold some years ago and did quite well from.

Had I handed a blank cheque book to "international experts" and end up with a business plan similar of that of Irish Water then I would have fully deserved the complete fcuk up they created.

Difference is I would not be still around sucking the tax revenue teat as they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

aido79 wrote: »
    They shouldn't have bothered with the consultants. They should have just asked all the "experts " who said 'no way we won't pay' even before Irish water was set up.

What a childish response.

Do you believe that the water infrastructure, treatment and provision will ever be brought up to an acceptable state through funding from general taxation?

Do you believe they ever would under a quango where if 100% household paid 260 euro a year that after the quangos overheads were paid there was nothing left to do anything ?

Shameful post from someone who is a moderator.

Do you believe they ever would under a quango where if 100% household paid 260 euro a year that after the quangos overheads were paid there was nothing left to do anything ?

Was this going to happen year on year forever in your opinion?

600k just came off a boil water notice. The CB show does a poll on water charges afterwards and only 35 per cent willing to pony up..lol. It's over folks but then again ye all knew that and whinging here achieves nothing.
    Back to the OP, there will be no charges for excessive cause as nearly half of all dwellings are meter less and only a politician wanting a short career will suggest wasting hundreds of millions completing the metering programme.

• Advertisement

Shameful post from someone who is a moderator.

I believe this has been explained to you before but only a moderator on one very small part of boards. In every other part I am just a regular poster. If you have an issue report it to avoid dragging the thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Why not?

Sure look at the children's hospital, gonna be the bestest in the whole big world apparently.

Last I heard - money was coming from general taxation. (Money tree bearing no € these days apparently)

Was this going to happen year on year forever in your opinion?

Good at asking questions while avoiding those you are asked aren`t you!
    I would expect impartiality from from someone who is a moderator on this forum but from your post that is evidently not the case with you.
    For that reason I suggest you go and address that question to the those that you so obviously support who created this mess.

I believe this has been explained to you before but only a moderator on one very small part of boards. In every other part I am just a regular poster. If you have an issue report it to avoid dragging the thread off topic.

Then re-register with another name (it is obviously not a great problem when you see one particular name floating around here) without the threat that the moderator under you name implies.
    Absolutely disgraceful imo that anyone being a moderator, regardless of what part of boards the moderate on, would post such a biased smart assed post post as you did.

Why not?

Sure look at the children's hospital, gonna be the bestest in the whole big world apparently.

Last I heard - money was coming from general taxation. (Money tree bearing no € these days apparently)

Why was it not done long before Irish water was set up if it is possible in your opinion?

Then re-register with another name (it is obviously not a great problem when you see one particular name floating around here) without the threat that the moderator under you name implies.
    Absolutely disgraceful imo that anyone being a moderator, regardless of what part of boards the moderate on, would post such a biased smart assed post post as you did.

I really think you need to look into how moderation works on boards.
    It's against the rules to have multiple accounts.
    As I said if you see a problem report it.

Best thing to do with a smart ass is to treat them with the contempt they deserve and just ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

What a childish response.

What else would you expect ? Site is gone to the dogs..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Why was it not done long before Irish water was set up if it is possible in your opinion?

Simple, because there was no will or effort in doing so, because imo there was no money to be made by the govt from it, not so when you start metering it though.

Why should tax payers trust those using their cash for the most expensive children's hospital in the world, but not to maintain our water infrastructure?

I really think you need to look into how moderation works on boards.
    It's against the rules to have multiple accounts.
    As I said if you see a problem report it.

I really do not.

I believe that the position of moderation should come with the responsibility of impartiality. Something you so obviously from with your smart ass reply do not possess.
    You can quote all the rules you like, personally I think as a moderator you are a disgrace.

• Advertisement

What else would you expect ? Site is gone to the dogs..

The site is ok, it's the level of comments from some which is absolutely pathetic.

Best thing to do with a smart ass is to treat them with the contempt they deserve and just ignore them.

I am not short on contempt for that poster at the minute, but I have never put anyone on ignore and he is so obviously the last attempted stings from a dying wasp I would not give him the satisfaction.

Edit : I did get a chuckle from who thanked him for his last post though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

A lot of people forget that the government tried to bring in water charges before in the mid 90s, long before social media, and failed miserably.
    Tried again under the guise of I.W. and failed in a colossal way this time. I think they may need to wait another generation before attempting it again.

On another note, is it possible to obtain a copy of the reports / suggestions / recommendations by these International Consultants that cost a gazzillion euro.
    I would like to read their reports and see what they had to say and compare that with what I.W. actually went ahead and did, especially regarding apartments.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    A lot of people forget that the government tried to bring in water charges before in the mid 90s, long before social media, and failed miserably.
    Tried again under the guise of I.W. and failed in a colossal way this time. I think they may need to wait another generation before attempting it again.

On another note, is it possible to obtain a copy of the reports / suggestions / recommendations by these International Consultants that cost a gazzillion euro.
    I would like to read their reports and see what they had to say and compare that with what I.W. actually went ahead and did, especially regarding apartments.
    You want to read a report lol, I'd say it's buried with the Moriarty report, the Maria Bailey report. Won't happen my friend.

K.Flyer wrote: »

When you see that only 24% of 18 -24 year olds in that survey linked by Johnny Dogs would pay, attempting it again after just one generation would be a waste of time and political folly.

Not a hope of seeing any of those reports/suggestions. Something I`m sure those international experts will be glad of.
    Having your name associated with the fiasco would take a lot of the sheen of their international expert tag.

The Justice Cregan Commission report, delayed due to legal challenge by he who cannot be named, is now meant to be published March 2020 which could make for some interesting reading though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Once again Matt, you post a load of lies. FG did not have a 9 year holiday from paying any tax as you well know. Just another low-level smear. They did have an issue over taxation of small Christmas bonuses or some other relatively minor issue where there was a revenue ruling, but an allegation of paying no taxes for 9 years is just stupid, silly and baseless.

What some person called Danny or Dinny has to do with anything is also baffling.

You should work for Fox news. You are a liar Blanch. You know this is a lie. Here are the facts to back up my assertion that you are a liar:
    FG have been current in paying tax as far as I know after their 9 year holiday from paying any.

There was tax owing for 9 years. During that 9 year period they didn't pay it.
    You can go down the semantics route and say they paid tax on every copy of the Beano Noonan purchased as them paying tax, but it does not make me a liar. Also this has been raised in many of our discussions before.
    And as for "Once again Matt, you post a load of lies.", more complete dishonesty from you. I will smile when I read your next posting on the level of discussion being low on the boards.

Dinny is Denis O'Brien. He does not pay any personal taxation in Ireland and he gets all the sweet deals off FG. Actually a sweet deal he got off Noonan re Sitserv is currently under investigation, (and his cabal got the broadband contract). You've heard of him so why pretend you've not?

You posting on this are petty quite frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You should work for Fox news. You are a liar Blanch. You know this is a lie. Here are the facts to back up my assertion that you are a liar:

There was tax owing for 9 years. During that 9 year period they didn't pay it.
    You can go down the semantics route and say they paid tax on every copy of the Beano Noonan purchased as them paying tax, but it does not make me a liar. Also this has been raised in many of our discussions before.
    And as for "Once again Matt, you post a load of lies.", more complete dishonesty from you. I will smile when I read your next posting on the level of discussion being low on the boards.

This is your quote:

"FG have been current in paying tax as far as I know after their 9 year holiday from paying any."

The bit in bold is a lie, they have always paid tax. As your own link states: "The cash payments were made in respect of staff overtime, Christmas bonuses and payments to temporary workers."

They were paying tax on all other payments to workers - regular salary etc.

You said that they took a holiday from paying any tax for 9 years - that is a lie.

Dinny is Denis O'Brien. He does not pay any personal taxation in Ireland and he gets all the sweet deals off FG. Actually a sweet deal he got off Noonan re Sitserv is currently under investigation, (and his cabal got the broadband contract). You've heard of him so why pretend you've not?

Oh that's who Dinny is, was mixing him up with some lad from Glenroe. Well, I won't be remembering it, so maybe next time, be a little bit courteous to people and refer to them by their name.

Edit: It is one thing to state that a post contains lies, as I did, it is another to call someone a liar, as you did.

This is your quote:

"FG have been current in paying tax as far as I know after their 9 year holiday from paying any."

The bit in bold is a lie, they have always paid tax. As your own link states: "The cash payments were made in respect of staff overtime, Christmas bonuses and payments to temporary workers."

They were paying tax on all other payments to workers - regular salary etc.

You said that they took a holiday from paying any tax for 9 years - that is a lie.

How is it? They dodged tax for 9 years. It's in the headline and accepted by the tax dodgers themselves.
    And calling that a lie is baloney. Even if you are doing gymnastics to get the boys in blue off the hook. Enough of your sad efforts at defending them.

Oh that's who Dinny is, was mixing him up with some lad from Glenroe. Well, I won't be remembering it, so maybe next time, be a little bit courteous to people and refer to them by their name.

Edit: It is one thing to state that a post contains lies, as I did, it is another to call someone a liar, as you did.

Now pretending you don't know, would be a lie?
    So people who tell lies aren't liars? Where did you go to school?

You always have to get petty and nasty so passionate for a Green defending the FG.
    A decent person might have said, "while they did not pay a certain tax for 9 years, having paid employees under the table, they didn't avoid all tax". You know a decent discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How is it? They dodged tax for 9 years. It's in the headline and accepted by the tax dodgers themselves.
    And calling that a lie is baloney. Even if you are doing gymnastics to get the boys in blue off the hook. Enough of your sad efforts at defending them.

Know pretending you dot know, would be a lie
    So people who tell lies aren't liars? Where did you go to school?

You always have to get petty and nasty so passionate for a Green defending the FG.

You posted that they didn't pay any tax for nine years, that is still a lie.

Getting personal and calling me a liar and going after my political persuasion is just avoiding admitting your mistake.

• Advertisement

You posted that they didn't pay any tax for nine years, that is still a lie.

Getting personal and calling me a liar and going after my political persuasion is just avoiding admitting your mistake.

When they did? And why would you say 'more lies'? You suggest I'm constantly telling lies but give no evidence or quotes. That's very dishonest.

I called you a liar because you are constantly badgering me and accusing me of telling lies, which is a lie in itself, therefore you are a liar IMO, based on all the lying you do.
    You running out of road and getting personal is par for the course with you. Now your monocle is falling out into your brandy when same is given back to you? Give over.
    Keep it country and try discuss things without the petty attacks and bitter comments.

I'll happily concede they paid some taxes somewhere while dodging others for 9 years. Who gets the door prize now? :confused:

Advertisement