Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

vinapaddy wrote: »
    Hello, newbie here (despite joining 12 years ago! :)

I have an 09 Mondeo estate, NCT'd til Jan 2020, tax out since March as it's been off the road with a blown head gasket (I think). Other than that it drives well until it overheats.

Given I'll only get 150 from a breaker, would anyone have any advice on breaking it myself and trying to sell as many parts off it first (brand new radiator put in it for 400e just to tell me the head gasket was gone) and then scrap the rest? I'm no mechanic - an oil service is as much as I've ever done myself.

Or am I better off just taking the 150 quid and be done with it (and continue paying the feckin loan for another 18 months!).

Thanks
    VP

Put it up on done deal... Definitely worth more then that.

Mechanic would throw an engine in no bother.

That could be an option too....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Put it up on done deal... Definitely worth more then that.

Mechanic would throw an engine in no bother.

That could be an option too....

+1 on this!
    Just stick it up in the Damaged & Repairables section
    https://www.donedeal.ie/damagedcars

As you don't know for sure if it's the head gasket, just pop it up with a note saying it is overheating and that you already got a replacement car and just want to sell it on and buyer can either repair or swap engine etc. Also mention the NCT and that it is still driving albeit very short journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Get the head gasket done and keep driving it. Breaking cars is a pain. Selling a car you've only to deal with idiots for one thing, breaking a car that multiplies.

For anybody down Kerry direction

MmM4OWEzODJkNjFjYjk5Y2I2OTZmNjExMzdkMGNkN2G0u_NZtm9xhISbG7xB2rlVaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzM4ODkzOTB8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

07 Audi A4 1.9 diesel
    NCT to the end of November 2020
    Looks very clean
    Only concern would be that it last changed hands in July, so eyes wide open when checking it out
    €1250 down from €1450

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I have an 09 Mondeo estate, NCT'd til Jan 2020, tax out since March as it's been off the road with a blown head gasket (I think). Other than that it drives well until it overheats.

What engine is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

Hi all, I am a long time follower of this thread, great advice to be had and such a great source for looking for car bargains. I hope you dont mind if I plug my own car here. If any of you are interested I will do a good deal. Appreciate any feedback regarding the ad, any questions please post them here. Thanks

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320i-nct-and-tax/23427463

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Hi all, I am a long time follower of this thread, great advice to be had and such a great source for looking for car bargains. I hope you dont mind if I plug my own car here. If any of you are interested I will do a good deal. Appreciate any feedback regarding the ad, any questions please post them here. Thanks

What car you moving too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

looks lovely - and looks like you took care of it

you won't have it for long

Looks a good clean car and should sell very quick

Personally I always skip by any cars with photos taken in the woods etc, as there are so many shadows and reflections, it's always hard to see the condition of the body.
    Also, I just prefer to see a car pictured outside a house, which hopefully is the same house if I turn up to see the car :D

Not saying these are deal breakers for everybody, but just my own preferences
    Best of luck with the sale

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What car you moving too ?

Im looking at C class Merc , 2009-2011. Or maybe Audi a4 a6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Im looking at C class Merc , 2009-2011. Or maybe Audi a4 a6.

Just fancy a change ? Often you’re better off sticking with what you have in my opinion

lawred2 wrote: »
    looks lovely - and looks like you took care of it

you won't have it for long

I do try to keep it clean and maintained, the kids know not to make a mess in the car, I dont abuse them and enjoy owning it for it is. It wont set the world on fire but has served me well, its almost 14 years old so has been minded well byt myself and previous owners. Have only done about 18k miles in it, I mostly work from home so hardly any wear on it.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Just fancy a change ? Often you’re better off sticking with what you have in my opinion

Ive always had a soft spot for BMW's , however I have owned quite a few others and always revert back to BMW. Sure only 2 weeks ago I was looking at an avensis, but it didnt even come close to the T-Spirit model I owed before this 3 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 vinapaddy

1.8 TDCI.

What engine is it?

1.8 TDCI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭selectamatic

1.8 TDCI

It'll have the dry/wet timing belt combo so which would have to be done if fixing the headgasket. I'd be thinking you'd be looking at €1200 at least to get all that done by a mechanic maybe more.

Realistically it's not worth doing. So selling it as a for parts or repair is your best bet.

If you've the space and mechanical know how you'd get money back breaking it yourself but its tedious and time consuming.

You could always chance some good steel seal in a last ditch attempt at sealing the gasket and fixing the issue but on a modern-ish diesel engine I can't see this working and it wouldn't be great for your brand new radiator.

It'll have the dry/wet timing belt combo so which would have to be done if fixing the headgasket. I'd be thinking you'd be looking at €1200 at least to get all that done by a mechanic maybe more.

Realistically it's not worth doing. So selling it as a for parts or repair is your best bet.

If you've the space and mechanical know how you'd get money back breaking it yourself but its tedious and time consuming.

You could always chance some good steel seal in a last ditch attempt at sealing the gasket and fixing the issue but on a modern-ish diesel engine I can't see this working and it wouldn't be great for your brand new radiator.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

I tried steel seal since the new rad went in but still overheating - my brother did the steel seal 3-4 times on his Mitsubishi L200 which seems to have worked, so I might try it again... would it cause much of a problem for the rad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

04 passat estate
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/passat-estate/23392308
    575, nct til 07/20.
    Pictures arent great, but of timing belt is done as stated and with new tyres, you cannae go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Given I'll only get 150 from a breaker, would anyone have any advice on breaking it myself and trying to sell as many parts off it first (brand new radiator put in it for 400e just to tell me the head gasket was gone) and then scrap the rest? I'm no mechanic - an oil service is as much as I've ever done myself.

I often considered breaking an end of the road car or 2 I've had down through the years but the more I thought about it the more I realise its a mugs game and takes some commitment. You will probably attract a fair amount of riff raff around your place for one thing. End of the day a scrap yard can pull over the high gates, has the security lights and Alsatians around the yard for good measure to raise a racket.

Even with somebody genuine if they wanted the gearbox for example and invariably they will want it pretty pronto would you realistically be able to pull it out for them in less than a day? Somebody wants a few doors and the interior is then at the mercy of the elements.

I'm not intending to be a pessimistic fecker, just realistic. If the rest of the car is only average or below I'd be inclined to advertise it in the damaged repairable section on Donedeal, be very honest about the car and you should probably do better than what the breaker is offering you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭jmreire

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    I know its part of the whole Bangernomics thing, but it's sickening to see the car is for sale for €1450, yet the tax for the government for a year is €1494! :(

Perversely....one of the reason's the sale price is so low is because of the high motor tax.....crazy, I know. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭Top Dog

May I ask how all the bangernomics drivers fare with car insurance.
    I've looked at a few that were 10 years+ and the insurance companies generally went silent.
    20+ years driving on a clean license and no claims by the way.
    Try AXA. They've never refused to quote me on anything bangernomic. Possibly not the cheapest, but I've never had an issue insuring older cars (current is 16 years old).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Top Dog wrote: »
    Try AXA. They've never refused to quote me on anything bangernomic. Possibly not the cheapest, but I've never had an issue insuring older cars (current is 16 years old).

I now work for an insurer so I have no issues insuring anything I want with them, but previous to this I had the 97 Corolla with AXA from 2015 onwards and they never had an issue at all with it.

So yeah Top Dog is tops!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

May I ask how all the bangernomics drivers fare with car insurance.
    I've looked at a few that were 10 years+ and the insurance companies generally went silent.
    20+ years driving on a clean license and no claims by the way.

Got quotes from all big players for 2006 Corolla this year, ended up paying €400 for TPFT.

Premiums might be high for an old nippy hatch i.e. Golf GTI, as they appeal to young inexperienced lads driving the risk and premiums up.

Stick to a boring family banger wagon and you should be fine.

I often considered breaking an end of the road car or 2 I've had down through the years but the more I thought about it the more I realise its a mugs game and takes some commitment. You will probably attract a fair amount of riff raff around your place for one thing. End of the day a scrap yard can pull over the high gates, has the security lights and Alsatians around the yard for good measure to raise a racket.

Even with somebody genuine if they wanted the gearbox for example and invariably they will want it pretty pronto would you realistically be able to pull it out for them in less than a day? Somebody wants a few doors and the interior is then at the mercy of the elements.

I'm not intending to be a pessimistic fecker, just realistic. If the rest of the car is only average or below I'd be inclined to advertise it in the damaged repairable section on Donedeal, be very honest about the car and you should probably do better than what the breaker is offering you.

Unless you are really handy, I bet if most of us worked out the hour rate we get after selling the parts from a car we broke, we'd be on sweatshop wages. Im not money orientated but I value my time a lot more than that.
    Wouldnt bother my arse to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

terrydel wrote: »
    Unless you are really handy, I bet if most of us worked out the hour rate we get after selling the parts from a car we broke, we'd be on sweatshop wages. Im not money orientated but I value my time a lot more than that.
    Its not even just that. I like working with cars and getting to know their workings so if there was a job I wasn't sure of but I thought I could attack all the same I'd view it as a learning experience and hobby. What would put me off more than anything would be some of the type of clientele you might expect to attract.

Heres a banger
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic/23129356
    2008 Civic 2.2 dsl hatchback
    170k miles
    NCT 06/2020
    No leather but you'd get over that
    Looks an honest ad and no change of ownership within the past 3 months
    Asking €2,000

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭jmreire

terrydel wrote: »

I could strip a car down Ok, and I have the space and at this stage of the game, I have the time too, but selling it bit by bit over time with God know's who coming around the place, No Thanks. Last one I had ( old Renault Clio, with head gasket problem, but still starting and driving ) But after one or two caller's knocked at the front door ( car was parked for a good while on the drive) inquiring about it, I called the scrapper to come and take it away FOC rather than have any more "Caller's".

jmreire wrote: »
    I could strip a car down Ok, and I have the space and at this stage of the game, I have the time too, but selling it bit by bit over time with God know's who coming around the place, No Thanks. Last one I had ( old Renault Clio, with head gasket problem, but still starting and driving ) But after one or two caller's knocked at the front door ( car was parked for a good while on the drive) inquiring about it, I called the scrapper to come and take it away FOC rather than have any more "Caller's".

Totally agree with that sentiment from yourself and john.
    You could always post everything but you'd spend all day packing and going to the post office or couriers etc, may as well become a postman! :D
    And thats not to mention dealing with idiots saying it was damaged in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

I drove a 09 mondeo estate for 2 weeks it was a curse. fuel injectors pissing diesel out the exhaust so I fan out of diesel on the motorway that was my second ford that was a disaster.

The auld lad had a polo with a dodgy gearbox he listed it in the buy and sell the amount of interest was unreal at the time, for weeks he's lads calling about it and then he saw it locally back on the road.

I would list it cheap as chips on the donedeal and see what happens.

Or am I better off just taking the 150 quid and be done with it (and continue paying the feckin loan for another 18 months!).

Thanks
    VP

Not sure if this has already been posted?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-estate-1-9tdi-130bhp-2003/23095795
    Nct til April next year. Plenty of work done.

Looks nice, they really are still a good looking car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Top Dog wrote: »

I have a 99 car insured with Bank of Ireland (underwritten by RSA)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement