Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Motor insurance in particular can seem to work in a peculiar manner. The Actuaries set rates based on the accident/ claim rates for particular models also - almost the computer says yes, computer says no type scenario if you will. All the while companies will target certain demographics/ try to build or scale back their book which can figure in it all. Most of us have probably being in a situation where someone said to you to try such and such company, they were by far the best for me. When you try them it may well be the case that they are the worst for you.

Re that Focus though on the face of it I would not be too keen to get into a Ford having that high a mileage on it. Certainly without a fully documented, on time every time service history. I base that on experience of Fords in the wider family and friends. High mileage never tended to be kind to them. Like that and everything else though it could be down to bad lack or all of them per chance having had a poor life.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

They're a grand revy engine but they'll not do 8500rpm. I think limiter is around 7k or a bit below.

I was mistaken, you are bang on its 7k (did a Google image search). I do remember doing 0 to 60mph in 2nd gear though !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

A banger update:

https://touch.adverts.ie/car/seat/leon/seat-leon-12-months-tax-bargain/21637396

Bought for 650. It flew through the NCT last week. No work done yet, just an airbag sensor that needs doing asap. I think you can always spot a decent car from the advert and a quick chat with the owner over the phone. We called about a few cars that week and it is pretty easy to spot the jokers vs. a decent honest seller.

The car also came with all the service and repair receipts over its 15 year life. An enjoyable read if you are into that sort of thing - also another great sign of an honest car and seller.

A great second car and one for the dog. Love that fact you can buy, tax and NCT a car for the price of a decent phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Nice one! That looks like a very nice example from the pictures alone. Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

A banger update:

https://touch.adverts.ie/car/seat/leon/seat-leon-12-months-tax-bargain/21637396

Bought for 650. It flew through the NCT last week. No work done yet, just an airbag sensor that needs doing asap. I think you can always spot a decent car from the advert and a quick chat with the owner over the phone. We called about a few cars that week and it is pretty easy to spot the jokers vs. a decent honest seller.

The car also came with all the service and repair receipts over its 15 year life. An enjoyable read if you are into that sort of thing - also another great sign of an honest car and seller.

A great second car and one for the dog. Love that fact you can buy, tax and NCT a car for the price of a decent phone!

Jeez that looks tidy alright. Well wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

is that he same engine as the 1.4 in a golf mk4 ? My brother ran one for year, it was soo gutless i wasnt sure there wasnt somehting actually wrong with it. used tons of oil too, V nice car on the eye tho, good buy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Notch000 wrote: »
    is that he same engine as the 1.4 in a golf mk4 ? My brother ran one for year, it was soo gutless i wasnt sure there wasnt somehting actually wrong with it. used tons of oil too, V nice car on the eye tho, good buy
    Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Notch000 wrote: »

That engine can be an absolute dog of a yoke once it gets over 200K, Octavia's suffer the same fate...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

A strange one i've noticed with that era of petrol vag is running 2 sepearate coolant temp sensors, one for the ecu and another for the dash. The ecu sensor regularly fails but only throws a code on very decent scanners, or vagcom on a laptop, leaving the engine fuel mix set to stone cold all the time. Running rich like that for a long time wrecks the engine and the cat. It's the same on the diesels but it doesn't cause the same problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Interslice wrote: »
    A strange one i've noticed with that era of petrol vag is running 2 sepearate coolant temp sensors, one for the ecu and another for the dash. The ecu sensor regularly fails but only throws a code on very decent scanners, or vagcom on a laptop, leaving the engine fuel mix set to stone cold all the time. Running rich like that for a long time wrecks the engine and the cat. It's the same on the diesels but it doesn't cause the same problems.

My car has two separate cooling temp sensors one for ecu and another for dash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That engine can be an absolute dog of a yoke once it gets over 200K, Octavia's suffer the same fate...
    200k from a small, underpowered engine in a heavy(ish) car is probably not bad going.
    Plus, they’ll usually get through fuel quicker than a 1.6 or 1.8 in the same car because they have to work harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Andrew33 wrote: »
    200k from a small, underpowered engine in a heavy(ish) car is probably not bad going.
    Plus, they’ll usually get through fuel quicker than a 1.6 or 1.8 in the same car because they have to work harder.

Would never have been a fan of the VW petrol engine, always felt it was killing itself to stay af a steady speed

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

Ye I had the 1.4 engine for a while. One day I had myself driving with 2 x 100kg passengers. I had the A/C on that day (in Brisbane).
    Anyway came up to a busy junction and as I was pulling out i had to turn off the A/C mid turn as it was taking so long to gain any speed. Quite scary tbh.

Was quite fun to run around in though

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-lupo-2001-33k-miles-1-lady-owner-950/26764943

NGY1Mjg4OWExNWRkNTBlM2Y0NmZkN2ZhZDM5MWY1ZjUH-cxOI0RkyvqQUUSC9h0gaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjUwOTIxOTh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner, 30k mile Lupo with covid NCT til next June and tax til May, €950

I love these, and this looks really nice. Definitely would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭kindalen

Love these too

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/09-honda-accord-2-2cdti-executive-new-nct-low-tax/26763891

MWQ4MDEzYmZjYmY3YjQwNDk0ODRlNDljZGY2YWY2MjE2Wi74_vv7b0JA_Jd-TLcmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjUwODEyNDN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

New shape cheap tax Accord, NCT til September 2021, €1650

190k miles but looks decent enough. Great looking cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/09-honda-accord-2-2cdti-executive-new-nct-low-tax/26763891

MWQ4MDEzYmZjYmY3YjQwNDk0ODRlNDljZGY2YWY2MjE2Wi74_vv7b0JA_Jd-TLcmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjUwODEyNDN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

New shape cheap tax Accord, NCT til September 2021, €1650

190k miles but looks decent enough. Great looking cars

Always thought that accord was a gorgeous face-lift model.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Needs a air flow meter ,how likely is it to be just that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Not very, i'd say.

Ah. Missed that :o

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-tdi-130/26768790

Clean looking red i passat for 750. Long nct on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Interslice wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-tdi-130/26768790

Clean looking red i passat for 750. Long nct on it.

Red D and I! Does it really mean anything significant though? I used to think it represented BHP. But I am not so convinced now...

Edit: No just red I.. You're right.. God damn eye drops! :D

job seeker wrote: »
    Red D and I! Does it really mean anything significant though? I used to think it represented BHP. But I am not so convinced now...

Edit: No just red I.. You're right.. God damn eye drops! :D

It is tricky to see alright. Reflection from the brake light maybe.

Registration 03G17012
    Make VOLKSWAGEN
    Model PASSAT
    Description 1.9 TDI SE 130 4DR
    Engine Capacity 1896

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

A 130 would be a red d red i wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

A 130 would be a red d red i wouldn't it?

If I remember correctly....

TD red I is 115bhp
    T red DI is 130bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If I remember correctly....

TD red I is 115bhp
    T red DI is 130bhp

Thought it was all the same colour 90bhp
    Red I 110 and red di 130 ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Thought it was all the same colour 90bhp
    Red I 110 and red di 130 ,

As you say all silver 90 bhp, red I 110 bhp. The other incarnations only came after the facelift in 2001, in some cases all three were red!! These were actually lower bhp than other engines, the only definitive way to determine bhp is by engine code, at this stage it's mostly irrelevant, the condition of the car being more important than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Yer man must have got sick of all the calls asking about the colour of the letters :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-beetle-2002/26770906

NWU3OWRlOTI3YmU0NjVmMDcwOWRhZDg1MWY5MDY5NjCy5TbIae-3e3c4Tdd8_qJbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjUxNTc0NzN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

ZGFmOGIzMDA5MDk2MzYzMDZiNmJiMGMwNmVmMmE2YjVv8GaE0CapINwZbSxN3SYVaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjUxNTc0Nzh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Very tidy looking TDI Beetle with NCT til September 2021, €950

Same owner since 2008. Most of these are in a bad way now, this looks lovely. Definitely would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yer man must have got sick of all the calls asking about the colour of the letters :)

Looks like someone put their i on it.

Gone already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement