Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How common is it for people to never find an other half or have kids?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

So do I, I'm older than you and child free by choice. My ex changed his mind and left when he decided he wanted kids.

I have never encountered the seemingly never-ending commentary and criticism that you describe though.

So you don't think there's any connection between people voting against basic women's rights for years and years and small mindedness/parochialism?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

So you don't think there's any connection between people voting against basic women's rights for years and years and small mindedness/parochialism?

Really?
    Jesus that's some leap, you'll break your legs on the way back down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

I haven't posted on this thread for a while but its interesting to see how its gone.

Dalai, I'm in the opposite boat... ish. When I go out with someone they latch on very very hard and very very fast and I've been scared off by more than one lady who has gotten way too far way too fast for me. Think telling me she is in love with me after our third date. Crazy.

That said... anyone I really like never really is interested in me at all. Pure rotten luck. People often can't believe I'm single and say that I'd be a really good catch, and that I'm great, and that I'm a real peach that would make a girl very happy.

Bloody go out with me then!!!!!

I've scared more than one fella off that way. I would never dream of bringing up the L word that soon, but I get very excited about it when I meet someone I connect with and I think my keenness puts them off.

Jesus that's some leap, you'll break your legs on the way back down.

How is it a leap? You're wondering why I seem to encounter a lot of parochial people in a country which has traditionally been extremely parochial and backwards, particularly regarding gender issues?

Ehhhh......alright.

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    I've scared more than one fella off that way. I would never dream of bringing up the L word that soon, but I get very excited about it when I meet someone I connect with and I think my keenness puts them off.

I've been told that, but also been accused of not showing enough interest/enthusiasm if I'm more laid back. :confused:

• Advertisement

How is it a leap? You're wondering why I seem to encounter a lot of parochial people in a country which has traditionally been extremely parochial and backwards, particularly regarding gender issues?

Ehhhh......alright.

I think what people are really wondering is how you meet so many more of these parochial people than the rest of us long-term single ladies.

I think what people are really wondering is how you meet so many more of these parochial people than the rest of us long-term single ladies.

Maybe I just get out and about more than you do and mingle with a wider range of people?

See, we can all be at the passive aggressive, petty insults.

Maybe I just get out and about more than you do and mingle with a wider range of people?

See, we can all be at the passive aggressive, petty insults.

I wasn't being passive aggressive or petty. You've noticed this comes up a lot on your conversations with people, several other posters have said it's not something they perceive as common.

I meet quite a wide range of people day to day, but there's very few of them I'd discuss my relationship status with. Maybe you're having personal conversations with people you don't know well enough to be having them with?

That has never happened to me, maybe for the best.

There is a girl I know on a casual basis. I think she is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. We get to know each other and start hanging out. One night she invites me back to her house. We kiss a bit and then she seems to freak out and tells me she dosen't want a ons. That's fine I think. I text her to try and meet up again and flat out tells me she's not interested.

Now when I see her she just ignores me. Why treat a man like that? What do you get out of it?

Makes me think of that scene in The Simpsons where the girl rips Bart's heart out. 'You won't be needing this again...' Indeed.

I'd say how she's treating you has very little to do with you personally and more to do with whatever is happening in her life and in her head. Have you thought about asking her?

The other option is maybe she was just bored or lonely that evening and used you, and she really isn't interested - which is just a pretty ****ty, cruel way to treat someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Dalai, I'm in the opposite boat... ish. When I go out with someone they latch on very very hard and very very fast and I've been scared off by more than one lady who has gotten way too far way too fast for me. Think telling me she is in love with me after our third date. Crazy.
    I seem to be superficially attractive to women.

Dafuq is this humblebrag bullshít? I’d kill to have 1 woman find me attractive! Fùck both you guys! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'd say how she's treating you has very little to do with you personally and more to do with whatever is happening in her life and in her head. Have you thought about asking her?

The other option is maybe she was just bored or lonely that evening and used you, and she really isn't interested - which is just a pretty ****ty, cruel way to treat someone.

OT but good to see you back, hope you stick around! :)

I wasn't being passive aggressive or petty. You've noticed this comes up a lot on your conversations with people, several other posters have said it's not something they perceive as common.

I meet quite a wide range of people day to day, but there's very few of them I'd discuss my relationship status with. Maybe you're having personal conversations with people you don't know well enough to be having them with?

And the implication there is that I'm either choosing to be around sh1tty people or have no boundaries in place.

No, I genuinely do meet a lot of different people. I work two jobs (both with loads of employees), volunteer, attend several hobby groups and also have an enormous family.

While I wouldn't choose to be friends with the type of person who thinks a woman over 30 is worthless if she doesn't have a partner, there are a lot of them around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Not really tbh. I think it's quite common for people to project their issues in this way. It's not coming from a logical place. They've followed the life script and done everything they're 'supposed' to do and they're not happy, so they lash out at those who have made different choices (or who simply haven't met anyone).

The woman at my work who just finished a PhD, some other woman actually snidely asked what the point was, "all that effort for a piece of paper", and wouldn't she have been better off focusing on finding a relationship so she wouldn't end up alone. This reeks of projection to me. Woman 2 has dedicated her life to finding a man, and is in a mediocre office job and is trying to convince herself that she's better than the woman who focused on academics and other things. I think there's an element of 'at least I'm not her, at least I have a husband' there.

But isn't that what you're trying to do? Follow the script and do what's supposed to be done? You want marriage and kids, right?

You seem to be judging marriage and kids yourself? But that's what you're striving for?

While I wouldn't choose to be friends with the type of person who thinks a woman over 30 is worthless if she doesn't have a partner, there are a lot of them around.

I have never, ever met someone who has expressed anything close to this point of view, and if I'm totally honest, I think you're exaggerating.

Autecher wrote: »
    Dafuq is this humblebrag bullshít? I’d kill to have 1 woman find me attractive! Fùck both you guys! :P

I can almost guarantee there is one woman somewhere who finds you attractive - it could be for something like your intelligence, sense of humour, accent, personality... anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I have never, ever met someone who has expressed anything close to this point of view, and if I'm totally honest, I think you're exaggerating.

Was going to post this as well. I've never once heard anyone express this opinion.

Lainey are you posting from the 1950s? Your experiences are bizarre unless you're projecting your own issues onto other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I can almost guarantee there is one woman somewhere who finds you attractive - it could be for something like your intelligence, sense of humour, accent, personality... anything.

Awww. Thanks!

Me right now
    tenor.gif?itemid=5684256

That has never happened to me, maybe for the best.

There is a girl I know on a casual basis. I think she is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. We get to know each other and start hanging out. One night she invites me back to her house. We kiss a bit and then she seems to freak out and tells me she dosen't want a ons. That's fine I think. I text her to try and meet up again and flat out tells me she's not interested.

Now when I see her she just ignores me. Why treat a man like that? What do you get out of it?

Makes me think of that scene in The Simpsons where the girl rips Bart's heart out. 'You won't be needing this again...' Indeed.

Here's the thing though. You're acting as if she owes you something, and she doesn't. It doesn't matter that she invited you over one time. She clearly has no interest in dating you and has been upfront and honest about that.

I've had similar things happen with fellas in the past. Initial interest and then realising I didn't want to pursue anything. Sometimes it was something offputting the fella said or did or just not feeling a connection, but often it was little to do with him. I just decided I didn't want to start seeing someone, maybe because of mental health, physical health, family stuff going on, realising I wasn't over an ex, whatever. A date or a kiss doesn't come with an obligation to date the man just because he wants to.

One of the worst things about online dating for me was the lack of respect for my decisions and boundaries. I'd get lads blowing up my phone asking me what was wrong with them and it often turned to insults. As if them finding me attractive meant I was obliged to date them. There seems to still be this deep seated attitude in some men that women are there to be 'chosen' and their ego can't cope with rejection, even if it's polite and direct.

The woman invited you around and you kissed. She didn't want anything more. The fact you're so obsessed with her is quite concerning and makes you seem very entitled. She's a human being with her own mind and an entire life you know nothing about. Painting her as an awful person who broke your heart is very immature. She hasn't messed you around or led you on or mistreated you. You had one kiss and she very quickly and very clearly said she's not interested.

Yeah sorry for simply stating what ginandtonicsky was also saying - that people DO judge single women, especially those over a certain age. Endless nosy, patronising questions about why you're single.

You don't seem to like women speaking up about their reality, do you?

Doesn't seem to have a problem with any other woman in the thread. Do you find people often exhibit such laser-precision misogyny towards you?

Cheers for crying wolf though, not like sh1t like that undermines actual sexism.

Thanks very much for this. My problem was never with the gender of the poster but the wall of negativity that they've posted. I'd hate for anyone to think I was being anti-woman.

• Advertisement

Double post

Here's the thing though. You're acting as if she owes you something, and she doesn't. It doesn't matter that she invited you over one time. She clearly has no interest in dating you and has been upfront and honest about that.

I've had similar things happen with fellas in the past. Initial interest and then realising I didn't want to pursue anything. Sometimes it was something offputting the fella said or did or just not feeling a connection, but often it was little to do with him. I just decided I didn't want to start seeing someone, maybe because of mental health, physical health, family stuff going on, realising I wasn't over an ex, whatever. A date or a kiss doesn't come with an obligation to date the man just because he wants to.

One of the worst things about online dating for me was the lack of respect for my decisions and boundaries. I'd get lads blowing up my phone asking me what was wrong with them and it often turned to insults. As if them finding me attractive meant I was obliged to date them. There seems to still be this deep seated attitude in some men that women are there to be 'chosen' and their ego can't cope with rejection, even if it's polite and direct.

The woman invited you around and you kissed. She didn't want anything more. The fact you're so obsessed with her is quite concerning and makes you seem very entitled. She's a human being with her own mind and an entire life you know nothing about. Painting her as an awful person who broke your heart is very immature. She hasn't messed you around or led you on or mistreated you. You had one kiss and she very quickly and very clearly said she's not interested.

You should apply that logic to your ex.

But isn't that what you're trying to do? Follow the script and do what's supposed to be done? You want marriage and kids, right?

You seem to be judging marriage and kids yourself? But that's what you're striving for?

I want them because I want them, not to follow some script. I think some people almost sleepwalk into it without considering if it's what they actually want, and if they married at a young age they might feel like they've missed out on other things.

Just thinking about my female friends for a sec

A is 32, she met her fella in school married him at 27 and they have no kids yet.

E is 31 and was single up to a year ago, in a steady relationship now.

L is 33, met her fella at 22, getting married probably next year

V is 38, met her fella at 33 and had their first kid at 36, married at 37, will prob have number 2 at 39

Almost no woman I know in her 30s was properly settled down - married with kids - by 30. Which is why the idea that a single woman at 30 is 'worthless' is a bizarre point of view and definitely not commonplace. In fact, the only ones I can think of are girls who stayed in my hometown, didn't go to college or travel - work in the local pharmacy or solicitor's office. Absolutely nothing wrong with that either.

You should apply that logic to your ex.

What are you on about? You're equating a seven-year cohabiting relationship in which we went through all manner of things together, with a kiss?

Wow. Some serious lack of thinking skills there. Poor you.

I think this is a little harsh. If a guy I really liked and had been hanging out with invited me back to his place and we kissed, I would be very hurt if he rejected me the next day, and if nothing else, I would feel like I was owed an explanation.

What are you on about? You're equating a seven-year cohabiting relationship in which we went through all manner of things together, with a kiss?

Same logic applies, people are entitled to leave long term relationships and owe you nothing. People can change their mind at any stage and walk, it happened to me but I'm not crippling myself with a massive chip on my shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

There's the sandpaper again.

Just thinking about my female friends for a sec

A is 32, she met her fella in school married him at 27 and they have no kids yet.

E is 31 and was single up to a year ago, in a steady relationship now.

L is 33, met her fella at 22, getting married probably next year

V is 38, met her fella at 33 and had their first kid at 36, married at 37, will prob have number 2 at 39

Almost no woman I know in her 30s was properly settled down - married with kids - by 30. Which is why the idea that a single woman at 30 is 'worthless' is a bizarre point of view and definitely not commonplace. In fact, the only ones I can think of are girls who stayed in my hometown, didn't go to college or travel - work in the local pharmacy or solicitor's office. Absolutely nothing wrong with that either.

Where do these women live? It's common enough in Dublin, but in rural Ireland (where half my family is from), people still get married and/or have kids around their mid twenties. Several of my friends from primary school have kids in secondary school by now. We're 34.

And I don't count women who met their partners in their twenties as 'single'. Half of your sample group were indeed settled with partners in their twenties and the third met her partner around 30. You're kind of proving my point here.

• Advertisement

Same logic applies, people are entitled to leave long term relationships and owe you nothing. People can change their mind at any stage and walk, it happened to me but I'm not crippling myself with a massive chip on my shoulder.

And where did I say otherwise? I've ended relationships, I know people are allowed to leave.

What I'm saying is that it's a normal reaction to be heartbroken and devastated after the end of a long relationship where your lives were totally entwined and you'd made all kinds of future plans together.

It's not remotely normal to be heartbroken and devastated because the woman you kissed ONCE doesn't want to see you again.

I can't believe this needs explaining.

Advertisement