Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless junky aggression

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There is a clinic on Castle St accros the road from Christchurch and Jurys Hotel. Good area for tourists and addicts to mingle.

and further to my own point, the building where this clinic is located (just to the side/behind the Bull & Castle pub on the lane with City Hall and Dublin Castle on it!!) must be worth a fortune. The cash strapped HSE inherited from the Eastern Health Board i believe - should be sold immediately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭ZilkyG

kerplun k wrote: »
    C'mon, Don't be so precious. When was the last time a member of the public was infected with HIV by a homeless person? I'm not taking about threats or attacks
    (Which I'm totally not on board with).

Send me some statistics on when a person was last infected by a homeless person.

Precious? Says the guy who is apparently okay with being aggressively approached by emaciated thugs for money. My guess is your some leafy suburban.

Secondly, you really think that the CSO keeps statistics on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I was walking down Dame Street the other evening behind two of them, a man and a woman.

She glanced over her shoulder and saw me and like a reflex in the mid sentence talking to her companion said to me "spare change love" and went back talking to the guy without waiting for a response from me.

She was better than the lad who shouted at me at Jervis Luas stop that he hoped I had no kids who ended up on the street and that I was "a f**king disgrace".

Of course that's not acceptable. That's threatening behavior. I'm just referring to the OP.

As long as their behavior is not abusive or violent, I'm perfectly fine with their more ambitious approach to getting money.

C'mon, Don't be so precious. When was the last time a member of the public was infected with HIV by a homeless person? I'm not taking about threats or attacks
    (Which I'm totally not on board with).

Send me some statistics on when a person was last infected by a homeless person.
    The chances of it happening are effectively zero.

There are drugs now that make it impossible for HIV to be contracted between people, that can be administered either before or after exposure.

We might actually have to start seeing them as human beings enduring a major personal crisis, who don't pose some permanent mortal danger.

ZilkyG wrote: »
    Precious? Says the guy who is apparently okay with being aggressively approached by emaciated thugs for money. My guess is your some leafy suburban.

Yep, precious.
    The fact is, pin prick attacks are very rare, if a homeless person was to infect someone, it would at least make the news.
    your right though, I am a leafy suburban. :D

• Advertisement

The chances of it happening are effectively zero.

There are drugs now that make it impossible for HIV to be contracted between people, that can be administered either before or after exposure.

We might actually have to start seeing them as human beings enduring a major personal crisis, who don't pose some permanent mortal danger.

That's not true, post exposure drugs need to be started within 72 hours, and even then it's not guaranteed to work.

You've clearly never been mugged or attacked by these night-crawlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Statistics are probably not necessary here as this is the type of thing that newspapers love to feed off public fear, and would make front page every time.

Therefore lack of headlines would make it safe to assume it occurs in extremely rare cases, but dont let rational logic get in the way of a good drama.

Yep, precious.
    The fact is, pin prick attacks are very rare, if a homeless person was to infect someone, it would at least make the news.
    your right though, I am a leafy suburban. :D

I guessed as much. Typical, someone who doesn't have to live around junkies is pontificating that we shouldn't be afraid of junkies.

begbysback wrote: »
    Statistics are probably not necessary here as this is the type of thing that newspapers love to feed off public fear, and would make front page every time.

Therefore lack of headlines would make it safe to assume it occurs in extremely rare cases, but dont let rational logic get in the way of a good drama.

Given the stigma, do you really think someone would go immediately to the papers and announce that they've HIV?

I guessed as much. Typical, someone who doesn't have to live around junkies is pontificating that we shouldn't be afraid of junkies.

I work 9-5, mon-fri in Marlborough St :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Homeless in Dublin? Register for social welfare in a different ****ing county. Can live very comfortably outside of Dublin on social welfare. I lived quite well on back to education allowance outside of dub

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

A thread on this topic exists in the Dublin City forum. If you wish to continue this discussion, take it there. Please note the charter of that forum before doing so, however.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110657612#post110657612

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement