Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda are nowhere to be seen while city center is overrun by crime and drugs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Strumms wrote: »
    I would say no, I had and have friends living in various arrondissements across the city and have socialized extensively throughout the city. The only places I felt and WOULD have been and be a little extra wary would have been in and around Clichy / Pigalle and Chatelet, particularly after dark but they were to be avoided usually unless there was a gig that we wanted to see.. or something else specific. But those places are reasonably well policed.

Some parts of cities are nicer than others shocker. I generally avoid Abbey St/O'Connell St area and have no issues in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

tricky D wrote: »
    Mod: please note the last point in the DC charter in relation to posting this stuff on thread again.

It's a quote from a very famous film. And a joke on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

Lux23 wrote: »
    What I find hilarious is the lads selling party drugs near Stephen's Green, it's so out in the open.

Could you digress more information about these party drugs and what the lads look like/what time I could find them? ... so I can report them to the garda of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Being a heroin addict should not be a crime imo

Someday a rain...

Oh that’s been done. Btw it’s a famous quote from taxi driver.

I firmly believe that if you go after the petty crimes you can clear a lot of the bigger ones.

As for how violent Dublin is it feels more violent than it is, but even at that low level of verbal intimidation it’s not comfortable especially for minorities.

And if you haven’t been getting aggro you may be unconsciously avoiding it. Decide to walk the city and not avert your eyes from the scrotes who are staring everybody down as they walk past and you’ll start some aggro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Resources have to be an issue.

Drogheda, longford and I think granard all got huge resource in last while. They had low numbers and now have large numbers to deal with eh "travelling gangs"

Garda overtime has been cut this year.

Resources aren't magic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Had a free day today and went to meet a friend in Dun Laoghaire, public transport as we planned on having a bottle of nice vino with lunch.

So I crossed OC Bridge, all good so far, walked down Eden Quay, ok, crossed the Rosie H Bridge, and it was like heroin central. No Garda presence so far either. Got across the bridge after ten or so requests for money.

On to Tara Street Station. Ok. Got on DART. Obv selected the wrong carriage. 12 noon and about six idiots were drinking and roaring. Got off next stop and moved carriage.

Dun Laoghaire was fine, despite the rep I have heard about.

Back on the DART, a gang of ten year olds yes, they were that young were screaming, swearing and off their heads on something and racially abusing a young man of colour. I shouted SHHHHH! and to my utmost surprise they did quieten down. For a minute. Awful stuff altogether.

Throughout the whole day from noon until about 4 or so never saw ONE Garda anywhere. Is that a record!

Drew Harris needs to up the game big time here.

Oh and the signs on the DART were for stations in the opposite direction too. God help our tourists and those unfamiliar with the stops.

Had a nice day though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Multiple beatings and stabbings just in the days this thread was posted, the Luas two people were stabbed near city center showing not even the public transport is safe.

I'm sure people will continue acting like there's no crisis with lack of policing - until something happens to them or their loved ones. Blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I often wonder about first time visitors from mainland Europe or further afield, they're sat on their Aer Lingus reading that schmaltzy, glossy magazine with the red haired Caillin hostess on the front (all perfect teeth and cheekbones) wherein everybody is some symmetrically featured member of the beautiful Hiberno-people turning their hand to fashion, design, music, arts and crafts, etc.

Then they get off the Aircoach in O'Connell St and are presented with this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jCkJl1PB_M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

The_Brood wrote: »
    Multiple beatings and stabbings just in the days this thread was posted, the Luas two people were stabbed near city center showing not even the public transport is safe.

I'm sure people will continue acting like there's no crisis with lack of policing - until something happens to them or their loved ones. Blind.
    Its a filthy lawless kip. This is from the other day in one of the "nice areas"

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Funny thing is, every morning/evening, as I drive past the government building on the quays, there is a queue of lads waiting to buy their drugs. A literal queue. Every day, every week, every month. Surely the guards cant be THAT blind to something so obvious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Roma getting fed for free by clueless do-gooders in Grafton St the evenings.

dd973 wrote: »
    I often wonder about first time visitors from mainland Europe or further afield, they're sat on their Aer Lingus reading that schmaltzy, glossy magazine with the red haired Caillin hostess on the front (all perfect teeth and cheekbones) wherein everybody is some symmetrically featured member of the beautiful Hiberno-people turning their hand to fashion, design, music, arts and crafts, etc.

Then they get off the Aircoach in O'Connell St and are presented with this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jCkJl1PB_M

Zzzzz. We get six million tourists a year and are consistently voted top of destination lists. People find the city safe and friendly. It's a bit sad the posters here desperately wanting people to dislike Dublin.

I spent the day in town today, nobody mugged me or stabbed me or killed me or looked at me in a mean way or threw anything at me or harrassed me. I didn't notice any junkies or crime or any of the other things the sad sacks here fixate on. Sorry lads.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I live in one of the apartment blocks off the square and the junkies have never given me any hassle, but the people Airbnbing in the building have. There's a regular Garda presence in the area and in general the junkies keep themselves to themselves. The largest anti-social problem comes from the noise of people returning to the Generator hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

‘Great’ thing about that scummer is he decided to ‘confront’ and assault the victim from behind, when he’s sitting down not minding anyone, then legs it. Some dirty, classless fûckwit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Ballso wrote: »
    Zzzzz. We get six million tourists a year and are consistently voted top of destination lists. People find the city safe and friendly. It's a bit sad the posters here desperately wanting people to dislike Dublin.

I spent the day in town today, nobody mugged me or stabbed me or killed me or looked at me in a mean way or threw anything at me or harrassed me. I didn't notice any junkies or crime or any of the other things the sad sacks here fixate on. Sorry lads.

Most people in any place around the world will be fine most days. How does that mean crime and danger doesn't exist? Are all of us, including the media, making it all up? Insane.

There is now broad acceptance that large swathes of the city centre and other suburbs in Dublin are lawless kips. The community and political will to change this is completely absent. Many of these areas are very poorly represented politically.

For decent people, the answer is mostly to move out of these areas and to somewhere with a proper community, better policing and other basic requirements. Enjoy the benefits of the city centre such as the social life and restaurants, try to avoid the lawless thugs and then go back home to the nice areas of Dublin or the counties outside Dublin which are much better places to live and raise a family.

The_Brood wrote: »
    Most people in any place around the world will be fine most days. How does that mean crime and danger doesn't exist? Are all of us, including the media, making it all up? Insane.

You are grossly exaggerating these issues. I've lived in the city centre for ten years without incident. The city is very safe. Listening to sad bitter internet dwellers making ridiculous claims gets tiresome.

Anyway I'm off to Camden St for lunch, wish me luck for a safe return!

You are grossly exaggerating these issues. I've lived in the city centre for ten years without incident. The city is very safe. Listening to sad bitter internet dwellers making ridiculous claims gets tiresome.

Anyway I'm off to Camden St for lunch, wish me luck for a safe return!
    This is the sort of sensitive defensive remark that illustrates why this issue will never be tackled. The solution OP is sadly move to an area with a better community spirit.

What we see instead in the city is people dumping their rubbish in the middle of the street expecting others to clean it for them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Dublin is a cess pit. Probably up there with the worst cities in Europe.

Guards do nothing everywhere. Not just Dublin though. Hell, go out into the sticks and you'll be lucky if the guards would even respond to a call or have the resources to respond to the call.

Country is ****ed.

Yakult wrote: »
    Dublin is a cess pit. Probably up there with the worst cities in Europe.

Guards do nothing everywhere. Not just Dublin though. Hell, go out into the sticks and you'll be lucky if the guards would even respond to a call or have the resources to respond to the call.

Country is ****ed.

Decided that tourists and immigrants have nothing to worry about after all did you? Nice edit.

Anyway lads I went to Camden St for lunch and had a nice chicken burger. A mean boy looked at me. At least I think he was mean, he looked a bit poor. It was very frightening.

Am I doing it right?

I'll hand it back to the boards.ie weeny neckbeard pissypants internet society for further comment on how terrifying everything is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Decided that tourists and immigrants have nothing to worry about after all did you? Nice edit.

Anyway lads I went to Camden St for lunch and had a nice chicken burger. A mean boy looked at me. At least I think he was mean, he looked a bit poor. It was very frightening.
    Ing is.

Why so defensive. How many other European cities have out and out gougers roaming the streets up to no good with over a 100 plus previous convictions.

Try walking around this city as I do as a bi-racial person and listen and face the menace I have SEVERAL times.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Am I doing it right?

I'll hand it back to the boards.ie weeny neckbeard pissypants internet society for further comment on how terrifying everything is.

In fairness mate, Camden street isn't exactly known as a crime hotspot, far from it. Bad example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yep, there is zero presence in the city centre.

An overweight copper eating his single of chips outside the GPO doesn't count.

They should have minimum 4 cops patrolling each side of O'Connell St, 2 up 2 down day in day out.
    And more on the side streets.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Yep, there is zero presence in the city centre.

An overweight copper eating his single of chips outside the GPO doesn't count.

They should have minimum 4 cops patrolling each side of O'Connell St, 2 up 2 down day in day out.
    And more on the side streets.

And the cop at the GPO isn't allowed move from the GPO. I've been told that on a couple of occasions by different Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

We definitely need more Guards walking the City Centre. And actually stopping and arresting people. Someone mentioned it above but at the Civic Offices there are people openly dealing every morning.

Don't see the Guards on bicycles anymore either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    And the cop at the GPO isn't allowed move from the GPO. I've been told that on a couple of occasions by different Gardai.

Why is that does anybody know? I know it's only usually one Garda that stands there like a statue or looking at their phone but it seems like a bit of a waste of a wage bill to have them there 24/7 when it could be used clean up the streets in the inner city

Why is that does anybody know? I know it's only usually one Garda that stands there like a statue or looking at their phone but it seems like a bit of a waste of a wage bill to have them there 24/7 when it could be used clean up the streets in the inner city

I've no idea. The defence forces should be put to use here in Ireland like on the continent. The likes of Rome, Berlin and Amsterdam have soldiers at all their landmarks and train stations. It wouldn't do any harm to have it here, the defence forces arent doing much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    I've no idea. The defence forces should be put to use here in Ireland like on the continent. The likes of Rome, Berlin and Amsterdam have soldiers at all their landmarks and train stations. It wouldn't do any harm to have it here, the defence forces arent doing much else.

they are busy playing sports!
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/life-in-the-army-was-absolute-boredom-says-kilkenny-hurler-colin-fennelly-37771668.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There is now broad acceptance...

Where, the Rural Back In My Day forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's well known many Gardai run businesses etc so don't bother seeing much unless they're told to honour and get certain things such as fines etc....

Only have to look at those in cars texting, looking up stuff and on phone calls ... Best for this are armed units as they see nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement