Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless junky aggression

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Gardai (I think) are getting bodycams. Is that right? Would be interesting to see the footage, and it should be admissable in evidence to judges too. I can dream on I suppose

I think with respect that some are missing the point, it is not about the powers the Gardai have versus the judicial system, it is all about giving a bit of reassurance to law abiding citizens in the city. That means presence and patrols. End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Gerry G wrote: »
    There are no Garda powers available to Gardai to take a robust approach to junkies no matter what people may think. If they hassle them on the streets and search them ad nauseam then joe bleeding heart takes out his phone, records the big bullying Garda and posts it all over social media. Some social media sites are actively trying to identify guards, their addresses and members of their families. Why would a guard bother?

If the reply is, "because it's their job", I can understand but they get no support from their supervisors or the government who are the cause of this mess in the first place.

Right so a Garda walks up to someone who's pupils are dilated and they can tell they're under the influence of drugs, are you trying to say they have no powers to bring them back to the Garda Station for a drug search if they find nothing in their pockets? It puts heat on them and they wouldn't like the hassle, resulting in them not frequenting the city centre anymore

And yes it is their job, if I didn't do my job properly I don't think I'd be in my job for very long

• Registered Users Posts: 25,766 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dublin needs a "hamsterdam", let them roam free in their natural environment away from decent people.

The rest of Ireland has a "hamsterdam" - we call it Dublin.

I used to go up once a month or so for some shopping etc until ye all started shooting each other. Now I go to Limerick, it's just safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Gardai (I think) are getting bodycams. Is that right? Would be interesting to see the footage, and it should be admissable in evidence to judges too. I can dream on I suppose

I think with respect that some are missing the point, it is not about the powers the Gardai have versus the judicial system, it is all about giving a bit of reassurance to law abiding citizens in the city. That means presence and patrols. End of story.

The man power just simply isn't there. The normal guard on the street nowadays spend hours sitting in front of a computer dealing with crap initiatives dreamed up by a well paid somebody who has never done a days policing in their lives. Ask any guard of any rank how much time they spend in front of a computer screen nowadays. You'll be shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

They can smell fear and that post is reeking of it

I don't fancy getting HIV from a needle stuck in my arm by an unpredictable homeless drug addict who can't control himself... So yes, I am afraid

• Advertisement

Right so a Garda walks up to someone who's pupils are dilated and they can tell they're under the influence of drugs, are you trying to say they have no powers to bring them back to the Garda Station for a drug search if they find nothing in their pockets? It puts heat on them and they wouldn't like the hassle, resulting in them not frequenting the city centre anymore

And yes it is their job, if I didn't do my job properly I don't think I'd be in my job for very long

If they did that to every person they meet in Dublin city with dilated pupils what do you think the outcome would be?

The man power just simply isn't there. The normal guard on the street nowadays spend hours sitting in front of a computer dealing with crap initiatives dreamed up by a well paid somebody who has never done a days policing in their lives. Ask any guard of any rank how much time they spend in front of a computer screen nowadays. You'll be shocked

They seem to have plenty of time for checkpoints and watching sky sports/playing pool in the station

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Genuinely can't remember the last time I seen the Garda patrolling on foot around the city centre. It used to be a common sight up until circa 2008, now you never see them anymore.

I seen two at the corporation building and two with a Garda card on Henry Street all within 10 minutes cycle the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Dublin needs Rudy Giuliani

If they did that to every person they meet in Dublin city with dilated pupils what do you think the outcome would be?

Well you can start with the ones that are causing a public nuisance at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

mondeo wrote: »
    I don't fancy getting HIV from a needle stuck in my arm by an unpredictable homeless drug addict who can't control himself... So yes, I am afraid

You okay hun? Xxx

In all seriousness I got stuck with a needle about 17 years ago, I am late thirties now, lucky I didn't get anything from it...

Don't fear them, it's like the walking dead some days about town but you should never fear these fcukers, they aren't worth your energy...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The man/woman power IS there. It is just not utilised proficiently. But what do I know I am not Drew Harris either.

But he is on a five year contract I think. And needs to see what is going on regarding crap computerised initiatives and so on. I have no idea what goes on in a Garda station (obviously), but good top management would sort all that crap out stat. If they were good managers.

The will is not there it seems. I had good vibes for Harris, hope he will deliver.

Often wondered if there would be any benefit in having Regional autonomy within the Gardai, yes, I know, corruption etc. But not every city is as large and diverse as Dublin and it really needs its own Garda Force suitably funded now. It is so obvious.

They seem to have plenty of time for checkpoints and watching sky sports/playing pool in the station

Yeah yeah, it's all been said before. The checkpoints thing is great pr dreamed up by senior managers. Looks great on the rte news etc etc. Mostly done by traggic corps guards who wont be walking the beat stopping junkies

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

The man/woman power IS there. It is just not utilised proficiently. But what do I know I am not Drew Harris either.

Ireland has one of the lowest ratios of police per population in Europe.

Then factor in that we use Gardai for jobs normally done by other state agencies and I imagine the manpower isn’t there.

But he is on a five year contract I think. And needs to see what is going on regarding crap computerised initiatives and so on. I have no idea what goes on in a Garda station (obviously), but good top management would sort all that crap out stat. If they were good managers.

The will is not there it seems. I had good vibes for Harris, hope he will deliver.

Often wondered if there would be any benefit in having Regional autonomy within the Gardai, yes, I know, corruption etc. But not every city is as large and diverse as Dublin and it really needs its own Garda Force suitably funded now. It is so obvious.

No, even including mismanagement the numbers are not there. I live in a town with approx 13,000 people. At any given time we are lucky to have one patrol car out and about, at the weekends maybe 2 if overtime is paid

Yeah yeah, it's all been said before. The checkpoints thing is great pr dreamed up by senior managers. Looks great on the rte news etc etc. Mostly done by traggic corps guards who wont be walking the beat stopping junkies

So what about the pool tables and sky sports in garda stations thing?

So what about the pool tables and sky sports in garda stations thing?

That I cant answer which I'm sure you probably cant anyway. It's like the Garda loving their doughnuts thing. I've never actually seen a garda in a doughnut shop or even eating a doughnut but it sounds good to some people to spout these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dublin needs a "hamsterdam", let them roam free in their natural environment away from decent people.

We already have this, it's the boardwalk area, drugs smoked the dealt daily between 9-5, also cans of alcohol drank openly. I've yet to pass it where laws are not openly been broken.

That I cant answer which I'm sure you probably cant anyway. It's like the Garda loving their doughnuts thing. I've never actually seen a garda in a doughnut shop or even eating a doughnut but it sounds good to some people to spout these things.

The difference being that its a fact that garda stations have pool tables and sky sports, Garda Gerry.

• Advertisement

The difference being that its a fact that garda stations have pool tables and sky sports, Garda Gerry.

Every garda station has a pool table and sky sports? Really Jimmy? Really? I'd like to see you backing up this "fact"? Can you do that for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ah the junkies is alright ;)

In my experience the Garda don't want to get involved with them. The boardwalk in Dublin needs to be patrolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

Their entitled to a 45 min break during their shift. Would you like them to stare at the wall during their break?

Every garda station has a pool table and sky sports? Really Jimmy? Really? I'd like to see you backing up this "fact"? Can you do that for us?

https://www.herald.ie/news/probe-as-gardai-spend-62000-of-taxpayers-money-on-tv-packages-34908308.html

You won't make the detective unit anyway.

Their entitled to a 45 min break during their shift. Would you like them to stare at the wall during their break?

You really believe they only watch it during their break? Especially if a sergeant or higher up rank isn't around? All on tax payers money to boot

So some Garda stations have a tv? Shocker. What about the pool tables, where do they come into it? I understand you're just one of these people who like to have a pop. I have no interest in that. I prefer to engage with adults in reasonable debate.

You won't make the detective unit anyway.

I was one for many years, now gladly retired. Unlike you, I didnt rely on the herald for my information.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

You really believe they only watch it during their break? Especially if a sergeant or higher up rank isn't around? All on tax payers money to boot

And do you have any proof that the don't? Or are you just making a wild accusation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

They should be banned from the city centre and detained in some sort of drying out detention centre if they don't observe the ban.

Fully agree

As I said a few weeks ago

Drug users detained into a secure location for treatment.

Long term unemployed detained in a secure location working on some tasks

Free travel - no way.

Do some work and get clean before asking for even the most basic hand out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement